Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful battery performance on my HTC Desire

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Zascar wrote: »
    1) have you a branded device?
    2) if so, have you successfully de branded it?
    3) you say you have root, download ROM Manager from market. Use this to "flash Clockwork Mod Recovery" - it's one of the top settings.

4) you may require the Goldcard to be in the device when installing certain ROMs, but not sure.

You can also use ROM Manager to install any ROM you have downloaded onto your sd card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Meteor HTC Desire loves to gobble up the available battery.
    I have to charge it every night, and if I am browsing for a hour or two during the day it goes quicker than that.
    I use the control panel as shown earlier to switch off the WiFi and auto updates, but it still drinks power.
    I have the brightness set to "auto" as well.
    It's running Froyo, and it's certainly better than 2.1 it's not that much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

To anyone that has root access: Have you tried SetCPU?

I'm pretty happy with the power savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My Meteor HTC Desire loves to gobble up the available battery.
    I have to charge it every night, and if I am browsing for a hour or two during the day it goes quicker than that.
    I use the control panel as shown earlier to switch off the WiFi and auto updates, but it still drinks power.
    I have the brightness set to "auto" as well.
    It's running Froyo, and it's certainly better than 2.1 it's not that much better.

Turn off background data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

draffodx wrote: »
    See above post, also on Froyo you have the ability shut down a long running Activity or Service properly yourself from the settings menu.

if only there was an App that made closing these activities easier..

Double post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

basquille wrote: »
    Am getting 4 - 5 days out of mine... using WiFi / GPS / CDN / BT at a bare minimum however.

Am I put it on Airplane Mode at night - it's timed to go into Airplane Mode from 11pm - 8.30am the next morning.

Class, how do you time it to go into airplane mode?

sesna wrote: »
    Class, how do you time it to go into airplane mode?

Get an app called Tasker, costs about $7 if I remember right, you can just set up automated responses with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I don't have a HTC but my Nokia was having the same battery problems.
    So I bought an new Nokia battery from www.amazon.ie (about 6 euro) and it lasts about 12 hours more than the battery that came with the phone.
    Both batteries are made by Nokia and are the same product number. But the new one lasts longer on a full charge - I have them both about a year now.
    Maybe I got a dud battery with my phone or the new one is an upgrade, I don't know.

• Advertisement

TheUsual wrote: »
    I don't have a HTC but my Nokia was having the same battery problems.
    So I bought an new Nokia battery from www.amazon.ie (about 6 euro) and it lasts about 12 hours more than the battery that came with the phone.
    Both batteries are made by Nokia and are the same product number. But the new one lasts longer on a full charge - I have them both about a year now.
    Maybe I got a dud battery with my phone or the new one is an upgrade, I don't know.

If that's the case then all the HTC Desire batteries are duds! :)

Google Battery Calibration on XDA forums and try that, haven't tried it myself yet but it's recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Dave147 wrote: »
    If that's the case then all the HTC Desire batteries are duds! :)

Google Battery Calibration on XDA forums and try that, haven't tried it myself yet but it's recommended.

Yeah before I bought my new battery I did a Google search on Nokia battery use and there was an application for the phone to check what was using the most power and shut it down or delete it - if you have a lot of applications running ?

I never used it, I was lucky with the replacement battery. Good luck anyway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The battery does seem to improve over time. After three weeks of dying at the end of each day, I'm now 49 hours since the last charge and still have 30% power left. I'm not using it extensively, to be honest, and I'm turning 3G off over night but I don't object to charging every day so long as the phone has been used a lot.

EDIT - actually, it's been since I updated to 2.2. I wonder if that has contributed to increase battery efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If your phone is rooted, a new radio firmware can help too.

I updated my Desire to the latest one last night and since 11:05 this morning it's only dropped 15% on the battery despite wireless being on, web browsing and texting. Wireless and Data performance seems better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    If your phone is rooted, a new radio firmware can help too.

I updated my Desire to the latest one last night and since 11:05 this morning it's only dropped 15% on the battery despite wireless being on, web browsing and texting. Wireless and Data performance seems better too.

Just to update... now almost 8 hours since the last charge, and still at 75%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Saadyst wrote: »
    Update to 2.2 (froyo)
    I bought my phone yesterday and it's running 2.1 version and I'm told there are no updates. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-desire-android-2-2-update-coming-this-weekend-706700

aaahhh just found this nugget.. Mine is locked to 3 so no 2.2 just yet for me, I've no interest in jailbreaking the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

That story is several months old. 2.2 came to the Desire on 3 about ten days or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭alhimself

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-desire-android-2-2-update-coming-this-weekend-706700

aaahhh just found this nugget.. Mine is locked to 3 so no 2.2 just yet for me, I've no interest in jailbreaking the phone.

hey i was thinkig of getting a desire on 3 myself but was wondering about the 2.2, having read posts here, the 2.2 is available on 3 right? also, are desires on 3 locked and branded to three? like meteor ones are unbranded right? how do you find the 3 billpay tariffs? i was thinkin of the 40 a month classic flexi max, with a free internet max addon, so 2gb upto 4gb data is good right? or would i get away with a 1gb allowance on meteor on msart 30/35 and maybe a deisre z if they manage to get it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

On the topic here is a post by Dianne Hackborn regarding task killers. For those that dont know Dianne is an Android framework engineer.
    This main problem that task managers have helped with is apps that keep services running in the background forever (consuming memory memory that could be used by others). As of 2.2 they can't impact these (or alarms) anyway. And there is growing system UI to help the user control these apps in a way that actually correctly represents what is going on. Later releases will be improving this UI.

But I think it is a false argument that *most* users are using task managers because they actually help. There are *some* things (mostly in the past) that they have helped *some* people for. These people generally didn't understand why they were actually helping, but a meme got started that task killers improve the performance of your device. People have a natural nearly crazy tendency to latch on to these kinds of things -- "hm I'm told pressing this button will make things go faster, let me press it, gosh I think I can tell things are faster!" And this just snowballs -- last year I was disturbed as I stood in a Verizon store in when Droid came out, listening to their sales reps install a task killer on customer phones as they bought them and show them how to use it to kill things to keep their phone running fast.

So anyway, we are continuing to work on the platform to:

(1) Prevent apps from causing harm to other apps.
    (3) Improve battery reporting to better identify apps that are behaving poorly.
    (4) Get increasingly aggressive about identifying bad app behavior and dealing with it automatically.
    (2) Present better more appropriate UI for users, who want to, to see what is running on their phone and manage it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement