Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e-Voting machines

Options
  • 06-10-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Just listening to the Last Word and they're on about the e-voting machines. Instead of scrapping them, would it be possible to convert them into something useful?

Anyone have specifications on the hardware or images of the machines themselves? Are they touch screen, or are they button operated? Just can't seem to find too much info on the actual specifications of them.

Would be interested in finding another use for them rather than in the bin. :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

In before Biggins....

...O' crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

In before bi..

Damnit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Why are they scrapping them? Surely they do the job pretty well. I mean if they used them for the Lisbon Treaty it would have all been settled far sooner. Anyone pressing 'No' would have got an error box saying 'You have made an invalid selection, please retry'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Trying to make up a use for them will just give them another chance to cost more money than they already have. The storage costs alone are in the hundreds of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

yes, but if a private enterprise was to buy them off the state if they had another use for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

But of course no public servant or politician in Ireland could ever burn through that much of our money and not be held accountable. That's just crazy talk.

I suppose Burma or Zimbabwe might buy them for their next elections? Then there is also Iran too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    yes, but if a private enterprise was to buy them off the state if they had another use for them.

Put them up on EBay

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Biggins wrote: »
    I suppose Burma or Zimbabwe might buy them for their next elections? Then there is also Iran too?

Yes a great idea. Sell them to some dodgy South American or African regime where there would be no worries in using them.
    Could be a whole new export business in the making.

Yes a great idea. Sell them to some dodgy South American or African regime where there would be no worries in using them.
    Could be a whole new export business in the making.
    ...And they would come from a seen dodgy government!
    So the buyers would know the machines come from masters of getting what they want and who screw the people!

What a sales pitch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wrap one around each politicians neck before dropping them mid-atlantic. Two problems solved in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sell them to another country that will use them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I think a far better idea would be to have to recycle them,and giving that contract to a company directed by a relation of one of our ministers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Sell 'em to the States.

Electoral fraud is de rigueur over there these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

If they scrapped them, wat would the poor FF cronies who are getting paid to store them do for cash?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Shred'em quick!

I'd be worring about FF'ers reprogramming them before next election....

(The old ones are the best...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PLTZxLNTUk&feature=PlayList&p=094BE67D26045808&index=0&playnext=1

Pookah wrote: »
    Sell 'em to the States.

Electoral fraud is de rigueur over there these days.

Would they work in Florida's climate? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Would they work in Florida's climate? :P

Extremely well....:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Could they be converted to ATM's ? Like real ones, as opposed to metaphorical ones for whoever got the contract to store them ?

No, wait...pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

Convert them into Poker Arcade machines, that would recoup the bill in no time:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What exactly is the problem with them that they cant be used exactly? I know people said it was security but shirley the software required isn't overly complicated? ATMs have been around for years and they're secure so why not these machines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Didn't Biffo or someone buy us lots of snow-ploughs recently. I think they need to get rid of the e-voting machines because they need the storage space for the new snow-ploughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sell them for €500 a piece to Irish bars around the world and let each of them vote for our next government as we clearly don't know how to vote here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ColHol wrote: »
    What exactly is the problem with them that they cant be used exactly? I know people said it was security but shirley the software required isn't overly complicated? ATMs have been around for years and they're secure so why not these machines?

Apparently it was the software, the machines could be tampered with to submit a false selection. A Dutch group "We don't trust voting computers" apparently did it on the more or less the same machines Ireland had. I'm not sure why they couldn't be fixed or secured, but apparently this was just cause enough to scrap 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

snyper wrote: »
    Sell them to another country that will use them

That would be a bit like a mobile phone company trying to sell 1st generartion mobile phones alongside an I Phone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

I'm very angry about this.
    But unlike you guys, sitting here moaning, I'm going to offer a constructive solution.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1006/breaking26.html

From the article: "Although they are valued at about €30 million"

We can divide the total 'value' they put on the machines (30,000,000) by the number of machin...es (7,000) to get the 'value' per machine.
    Which is about four thousand euro per machine.

Thats the value.

I mean, its not like I buy and sell old computers on adverts.ie or anything, but half a million quid for an 8 year old PC in a cabinet, that doesn't work, is more than one would sell for there.

Now, I said I wasn't going to just moan.

I've had an idea.

Check this out:
    http://boingboing.net/2010/08/23/voting-machine-hacke.html
    Thats a voting machine that has been hacked to play Pacman.

Seriously people, I'm not kidding.

Lets turn them into PacMan cabinets, and put one in each town.

Put em out where people can see them.
    As monuments to the folly of Celtic Tiger Ireland, they could be hugely educational.

We won't have voting machines, but at least we'd have fúcking expensive Pacman cabinets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chicksticks

Just listening to the Last Word and they're on about the e-voting machines. Instead of scrapping them, would it be possible to convert them into something useful?

Anyone have specifications on the hardware or images of the machines themselves? Are they touch screen, or are they button operated? Just can't seem to find too much info on the actual specifications of them.

Would be interested in finding another use for them rather than in the bin. :)

yes bean tins as no one else would want them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They're actually pretty useless as they're very primitive and seem to be hard-coded for the PR-STV electoral system which isn't all that widely used:

Potential markets :
    Malta
    Parliamentary elections
    European elections
    Local government elections

Northern Ireland
    Regional assembly elections
    European elections

Scotland
    Local government elections (since May 2007)

India
    Upper house of the Parliament Proportional representation by single transferable vote by state legislatures

Australia
    Country-wide
    Senate elections (in the form of a group voting ticket)
    Australian Capital Territory
    Legislative Assembly elections
    New South Wales
    Legislative Council elections
    Tasmania
    House of Assembly elections
    Victoria
    Western Australia

New Zealand
    Some local government elections such as Dunedin and the capital city of Wellington
    Local health board elections

United States
    City elections in Cambridge, Massachusetts
    Certain city elections in Minneapolis, Minnesota (starting in 2009)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

yes bean tins as no one else would want them

Thats not true.

:pac:.......................

Advertisement