Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for a entry level camera, maybe a SLR or something.
    Just not a standard digital.
    I am completely new to anything other than standard digital, but would like better quality photos in general for holidays etc.

I have no preference on brand, and have no problem with buying 2nd hand.

Something not too complicated would be fine, whereby I don't need to compensate all the time for exposure or change lenses etc. No need for remotes or tripods either.

Basically a decent camera that will do a better job than my normal digital Samsung etc. Budget would be...200-300 , but could stretch it if needed. As I say, only entry level really, I'm not a photographer or plan on becoming one, not even an enthusiast really.

Appreciate the advice :D

The quality of a photograph will be partly down to the equipment but a large part is the knowledge and skill to use it correctly.

If you dont want to learn about photography then a decent point and shoot would be the ticket. I really think that Canon lead that section of the market. If you were to buy the best Canon P&S for your budget then you will not go too far wrong. Next in line would be Lumix, Fuji, Nikon & Sony.

If you want much better results then it's a bit more expense and some time to learn the skills required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

talkin wrote: »
    i dont know which i would prefer cannon or nikon.

Both make some very good cameras. Don't rule other brands like
    Pentax, Sony and Olympus.
    i am not a photographer but i like to take pictures.

So you are a photographer really :) Just not a professional photographer.
    i suppose theres no right or wrong just preference.

That sums it up nicely. If you take the entry-level, mid-range or high-end
    model from any of the main manufacturers and compare it to the equivalent
    model from another manufacturer, you will find there is little difference between
    them. There is a better range of lenses and accessories for Canon and Nikon
    just because they are currently the biggest players in the camera market.

When there is very little difference in performance or price, the
    look and feel of the camera is often the deciding factor. Go to a
    camera shop and handle the models you are interested in. You
    may prefer the ergonomics of one brand over another. You may
    find that one model is better suited to the size of your hands.
    Try them all, don't be rushed into buying the first one you see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

looking for a camera? is the nikon d3100 18-55vr kit a good camera? my current camera is lumix fx37 so i dont really know much about cameras but the picture quality on my lumix isnt great-it used to be but now it isnt. i dont want anything too big (too big to be bothered bringing it places) or any other camera?? any reviews of the nikon 3100... any help appreciated thanks

When you say the picture quality on the Lumix FX37 isn't great, can you be more specific? How has it changed?

To me it would seem that either there is a fault with the camera or, more likely, it has been placed in some mode which is having a negative effect on image quality eg. if it's been locked into High Sensitivity mode (1600 - 6400 ISO) then everything would be noisy muck.

The D3100 and 18-55 VR is a good camera and very capable. It's the Nikon entry level DSLR. The thing about DSLR's is that they are capable of taking very good photo's but that is like saying a good quality stove is capable of cooking really good meals. In the right hands it will, but no matter how good it is someone who doesn't know how to cook will still burn water on it.

I am currently at a Tourist Resort this week. I am using it as a base to take Photo's of this Island. I see a lot of people walking around with various DSLR's here. At the nightly Dolphin Feeding they have them stuck on Auto or some scene mode and are shooting with the wee pop up flash at Dolphins which are about 15 - 20 meters away. I can only guess that the images they get are less than optimal and I bet some of them will be thinking that a better DSLR will fix this. The truth is that a DSLR will give you the capabilities to get good images, especially when coupled with the appropriate accessories and lenses. So if you want to get better results then something like a D3100 would get you on the right track but it needs to be coupled with some knowledge of how to achieve that as well as a sound understanding of how to control & use light. If that is not what you are into then a high end Compact or Bridge will serve you just as well and save some money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭AJ6000

I'm getting the Fujifilm FinePix AV250 soon. Is there any reason why I shouldn't? :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePix-AV250-Digital-Camera/dp/B004G8Q5LU

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

CabanSail I thought it was the settings too so i changed them to lower iso. made them bit clearer but not great! i used a friends compact at the weekend and it was so crisp and clear and captured great pics in the sun light where as mine was blurry and couldnt cope with the sunlight. that made me realise how dated mine is. so you would recommend the d3100.

• Advertisement

It sounds like your camera is faulty rather than outdated.

Had a look at a D3100 recently when I was shooting and was asked by the owner what settings to use. It was smaller, lighter and a bit more plasticy than the body I was used to but it seemed quite reasonable. It had the PASM modes I would use and some entry level scene modes as well and seemed to cover all the basics a DSLR body should. I lent the owner some better glass and noticed the ISO was set to 3200, so explained what the implications of that were. He used to shoot film and understood ASA from films but did not realise that digital has noise to replace grain at higher sensitivities.

Anyway, yes the D3100 seems a fine entry level body and has more packed into it than the pro bodies did six or seven years ago. I'm sure the other brand entry level models also offer much the same capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Hey folks, SLIGHTLY different question here. I'm pretty sure the camera I'm getting for myself is a Canon 550D. I'm just wondering, where is the best place to buy one? Any shop (based in Galway) or website reccomendations?

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Hey folks, SLIGHTLY different question here. I'm pretty sure the camera I'm getting for myself is a Canon 550D. I'm just wondering, where is the best place to buy one? Any shop (based in Galway) or website reccomendations?

Argos are selling them with kit lens at a fairly high price of €775.
    550D prices have fallen since the launch of the 600D. Try the
    local camera shops to see if you can get a good deal. If not,
    buy online.

The Simply Electronics price is €496 for body only and €600
    with kit lens. This is probably close to the cheapest price you
    will find for a new boxed camera. You may pick up refurbished
    cameras for even less. Simply Electronics are a Hong Kong
    company, so shipping times will usually be much longer than
    expected.

If you prefer to deal with a company within the EU, try
    http://www.thedigitalcamerashop.co.uk

Be careful when buying on-line. There are a few scam sites
    on the web and new ones pop up from time to time.
    Don't buy online without checking the reputation of the
    seller and never pay by bank transfer or money order.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2011/0308/1224291575212.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

hbr wrote: »
    Argos are selling them with kit lens at a fairly high price of €775.
    550D prices have fallen since the launch of the 600D. Try the
    local camera shops to see if you can get a good deal. If not,
    buy online.

The Simply Electronics price is €496 for body only and €600
    with kit lens. This is probably close to the cheapest price you
    will find for a new boxed camera. You may pick up refurbished
    cameras for even less. Simply Electronics are a Hong Kong
    company, so shipping times will usually be much longer than
    expected.

If you prefer to deal with a company within the EU, try
    http://www.thedigitalcamerashop.co.uk

Be careful when buying on-line. There are a few scam sites
    on the web and new ones pop up from time to time.
    Don't buy online without checking the reputation of the
    seller and never pay by bank transfer or money order.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2011/0308/1224291575212.html

Thanks for the reply hbr. You highlighted my main worry about buying online; I don't know which sites to trust and which to stay away from.

Simply Electronics have a great price, the only thing throwing me off is the fact that they are Hong Kong based. I take it it's a trustworthy site anyway?

EDIT: Just read a few reviews of that site that really put me off.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply hbr. You highlighted my main worry about buying online; I don't know which sites to trust and which to stay away from.

You just need to be cautious, especially when dealing with a seller
    for the first time. Cast a critical eye on the web site. Check the search
    engines for any reports of fraud. I have bought many items on-line and
    87 items on eBay. So far, I haven't had any problems. Most sellers are
    decent, honest people.
    Simply Electronics have a great price, the only thing throwing me off is the fact that they are Hong Kong based. I take it it's a trustworthy site anyway?

They are genuine. If you order something, I'm sure you will receive it.
    They ship expensive items from the UK using DHL and they will send
    you the tracking number as soon as the item is dispatched.
    Just read a few reviews of that site that really put me off.

I bought a Tamron 17-50mm lens from them a few weeks ago. The
    service was ok. I already knew they were based in Hong Kong, so I
    wasn't surprised that it took eight days for the package to arrive. It was
    shipped to me from the UK six days after I placed the order.

They sent me the tracking number by e-mail and a follow up e-mail
    after the item was delivered. My response is posted below:

Hi Emma,

The most popular ratings site is http://www.resellerratings.com Your current
    rating is a very poor 1.45/10

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/SimplyElectronics

> As you may note, we have been the target of much debate concerning our customer service levels
    > and operations in general on this website, and while we respect the opinions of our customers, a
    > lot of the good experiences go unnoticed and unshared.

I have seen a huge number of negative comments about SE in various photography forums.
    There are a few key issues that continue to trouble many customers and potential customers.

One is the perceived attempt to deliberately mislead the customer into thinking they are
    dealing with an Irish (.ie) or UK (.co.uk) company. This could easily be addressed by adding
    a properly worded "About Us" tab to the SE website. This could be done at little or no
    cost.

Slow delivery is another issue. For instance: your listing for the Tamron 17-55mm lens
    says: "6 Units In Stock Usually Ships in 1-2 Business Days". In the case of my order,
    it took six days before the item was dispatched. This is presumably due to the lead-time
    for shipping from Hong Kong. I know from several other Irish customers that this is the
    norm rather than the exception. Most customers will be willing to wait for a week or
    more, provided that they know in advance that they are buying from Hong Kong and that
    there is a possibility of delay. However, if the buyer is facing a strict deadline, an
    unexpected delay can be a big problem. Imagine if I had ordered the lens as a birthday
    present. The 1-2 day shipping promise would suggest that I would certainly have the
    lens within a week. As it turned out, I would have been a day late.

Another big issue is taking credit-card payment before the item is despatched. This
    can lead to great annoyance, cost and inconvenience if it turns out that the item
    is not in stock and there is a long delay of several weeks or more. It is hugely
    damaging to SE's reputation when customers have to resort to a credit-card chargeback
    to recover their money.

> Your efforts will go some way in restoring our pride whilst showing our willingness to make
    > changes for the better.
    >
    > Regardless of all said, if there is anything more I can do for you, please do not hesitate to
    > contact me.
    >
    > Enjoy your day ahead.

I'm glad to hear that you are working hard to improve the reputation of SE. Due to
    the recent spate of scam sites operating from the Baltic region, European customers
    have become a lot more cautious about buying on-line. A good reputation is essential
    for on-line camera sellers. There are several zero-cost changes you could make that
    would greatly enhance the SE brand.

First and foremost: always be honest.

Tell customers who you are and where you are.

Don't make false claims about stock availability or shipping times.

Don't charge credit cards until the goods are definitely ready for shipping.

Try to improve your procedures for dealing with problems, cancelled orders,
    warranty claims etc.

On a positive note, I am happy with my purchase which arrived in good condition.
    Once the package was collected by DHL (6 days / 4 business days after order) it
    was delivered to Cork, Ireland in a quick and efficient manner.

I am planning to purchase another lens soon and I will certainly consider
    buying from SE in future. If some of the long-standing issues mentioned above
    could be resolved, I would then have no hesitation in recommending SE to other buyers.

Have a good weekend.

Regards, Eamon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

dont know now if i should just get compact or bridge instead of dslr!

dont know now if i should just get compact or bridge instead of dslr!

magic eight-ball says "maybe".

pros and cons well documented. ask yourself if you want to actually learn (will take a bit of effort) about photography and different lens or just go out take pictures (bridge is fine) and not worry about having multiple lens and more advanced settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tippgirl2009

Hey guys,
    I've been lurking here for a couple of days but technically new to this forum. I've been looking at the Nikon D3000 and also the D3100. I have priced the former for €400 and the D3100 for €525 in Gunns in town. I'm a complete beginner and really need advice on which camera to get. I'm wondering which camera would be the best for the sake of €125 which could go towards extra lenses etc in the future. Cheers.

Hey guys,
    I've been lurking here for a couple of days but technically new to this forum. I've been looking at the Nikon D3000 and also the D3100. I have priced the former for €400 and the D3100 for €525 in Gunns in town. I'm a complete beginner and really need advice on which camera to get. I'm wondering which camera would be the best for the sake of €125 which could go towards extra lenses etc in the future. Cheers.

Either or neither ...... It all depends on what your needs are in a camera and how competent you are at controlling it. There is no perfect camera nor will there ever be one. What you have to do is weigh up the various factors and make the best choice based in what's in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Have been reading differing reviews.

Any thoughts on whether to go for

Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD (2011 model)

or

Canon 18-200mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

What are the specs on that particular Canon 18-200mm? I bet they have a few different ones, in very different price ranges.
    wandererz wrote: »
    Have been reading differing reviews.

Any thoughts on whether to go for

Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD (2011 model)

or

Canon 18-200mm

The Canon is the EF-S 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Hi im looking to buy a new compact digital camera and my last two cameras were nikon and i really like them so now i need a new one and im not sure which to get... my budget is around 200 ish euro...
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

At that price point you should go to the shop and give the cameras a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Hi guys and girls. Been interested in taking fotos for a long time. Bit now im really getting the iche after a reason trip to krakow. I was limited with my nikon p5100. Great compack cam but i want to go into getting real clear and depth into my photos. Id have around 1 thousand euro to spend. Have been looking at the nikon d5100 dslr. But open to ideas.

• Advertisement

oldon wrote: »
    Hi guys and girls. Been interested in taking fotos for a long time. Bit now im really getting the iche after a reason trip to krakow. I was limited with my nikon p5100. Great compack cam but i want to go into getting real clear and depth into my photos. Id have around 1 thousand euro to spend. Have been looking at the nikon d5100 dslr. But open to ideas.

d5100 is a good camera. if by depth you mean depth of field where you might want to focus on something in the foreground and blur the background to make whatever you are focusing on stand out more you will need a lens that's good at doing that. the kit lens with a d5100 won't do that very well but you could get a second lens with a lower aperture - a lower f number . the cheapest way to do this is to buy a 50mm lens with a low aperture like 1.8 (or lower if you can afford it). you can get a 50mm lens with f1.8 for about 100 euro. this will be good for portraits where you want to blur the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

I'm looking to get my first camera and I'm wondering what the opinions of Fujifilm cameras are??

I've seen some Fujifilm bridge cameras I'm wondering what these are like to use??? My budget would be around the 200/250 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Just a quick q. I'm crap at valuing stuff, especially second hand stuff in a market that I've little experience in.

So!

I've spotted a second hand D60 with the kit lens but sans a a camera bag, spare battery or SD for €220. No word yet on how many shots have been taken with it, but it seems in fairly good nick.

Is that good value? Particularly since I'd been willing to put down €500 in a few months time for a new model, obviously if I can get an adequate second hand for cheaper that is better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 barbar84

Hey. I'm looking to buy a tokina 11-16 from hong kong or Japan because of the decent prices. I just was looking for advice on any trusted sellers that anyone has bought from.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Digital Rev, Kea Photo ... but, make sure you include your calculation for import duty when you buy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Kea Photo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

One Stop Digital - bought my most expensive lens there.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Ok so the title says it all. Im selling a laptop i used for college to purchase myself a nice camera. Since finishing college the laptop is only being used as a facebook portal for my mother so i think its time i get rid of it and put the money to good use. It should sell for about 400-500 euro so that will be my budget.

Im brand new to photography but have always respected it as an art form and would love to be able to capture great moments for myself. There are a few reasons i want to buy a decent camera and not just a bog standard digital one. Firstly i have recently had my first child and i want to be able to capture her in all her beauty with no quality issues. Also i enjoy doing 3d modelling and would like to be able to take high res texture images myself while im out and about. Thirdly is just to capture day to day life in great detail. HD video recording would be great too but im not sure if that would be within the scope of my budget.

Being a beginner i would like something that is more user friendly but also flexible with the settings as i become more understanding of photography. Ill be using advert.ie to buy a second hand camera so i would be a huge help if anyone was kind enough to have a quick browse through there and suggest one or two suitable cameras.

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

ThOnda wrote: »
    One Stop Digital

+1, bought my 60D from them. Quick postage and didn't have to pay VAT/import duty (but keep the 21% on hand - if you do have to pay it, they'll return it) :)

• Advertisement

Unionecomm via the bay. Just got a Canon 10-22mm two weeks ago. Price included fedex delivery with tracking number provided.

Very impressed, so ordered a Tokina 18-270 two days ago.
    <SNIP> Very good communication.

Also purchased from Digitalrev's UK store as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement