Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germans to ban Santa.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bloody sourkrauts
    gerbo wrote: »
    Spelling fail.

What? He is absolutely right. :confused:

They just don't have the same range of stock they used to. :pac:

http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

gerbo wrote: »
    Spelling fail.

I took it as a bilingual pun. Fairly obvious, but quite gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I took it as a bilingual pun. Fairly obvious, but quite gut.

Danke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

bonerm wrote: »
    I think the correct term is midget.

Didn't it used to be Person Of Restricted Growth (PORG) ?

Or small-boned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Thanks for posting the first Xmas thread.:P

The irony was implicit.
    Did you find the conspicuous consumerism quite as repelling when you were a child yourself? :D I doubt it.

At that tender age I was the unwitting victim of being inculcated into a consumer culture, disguised in the form of a religious celebration.

Looking back on it now, I consider it a form of child abuse.
    WindSock wrote: »
    **** premature Christmasses and **** you :mad:

You're welcome, lady. With a fancy ribbon on top and streams of tinsel running down the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

knird evol wrote: »
    First Anne Frank, now Santy

I'm sick of these holocaust jokes, Anne frankly I won't stand for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Misleading thread title is misleading. And crap.

Irish to ban nationalism: no wait, it's just Irish people who want to see Irish made optional after the junior cert.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The French have already done this. In 2004, they amended their constitution to allow for this. I believe the amendment was called the Santa Clause.

In France people leave fruit out for Santa, usually a plear.

Sorry, that's "pear" - no L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Feeona wrote: »
    Comprehensive life insurance the day before he meets up with his 'mates' in the Garden of Gethsemane

That'll be referred to the fraud department after a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Noone will be buying "pressies" this Christmas, with the impending budget of doom looming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Who honestly thinks of Jesus when they get up on christmas morning at 6-7am and open up presents and gifts and then smell the turkey cooking away, drolling at the mouth..

Yeah, i don't think many people do think of Jesus..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Who honestly thinks of Jesus when they get up on christmas morning at 6-7am and open up presents and gifts and then smell the turkey cooking away, drolling at the mouth..

Yeah, i don't think many people do think of Jesus..

I do i get up around 12 or so and go
    "sweet holy jesus that smells good!!!" ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

tricky D wrote: »
    That'll be referred to the fraud department after a few days.

He'll turn their fraud investigation files in to Wine.
    Then he'll turn them into wine. Then he'll have lots of wine and cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Really who gives a **** about Jesus? It'd be some ****ing dull holiday if it was about Jesus. "Oh yaaaaaaaaaay hurrrah 2000 years ago a man was born who has made shag all difference to my life, how wonderful!!!"
    Christmas is a time for family and friends, and feasting. AND THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE, NOT SOME ****ING MORAL DILEMMA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Really who gives a **** about Jesus? It'd be some ****ing dull holiday if it was about Jesus. "Oh yaaaaaaaaaay hurrrah 2000 years ago a man was born who has made shag all difference to my life, how wonderful!!!"
    Christmas is a time for family and friends, and feasting. AND THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE, NOT SOME ****ING MORAL DILEMMA

JESUS LOVES YOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Proper order. I love the Germans.

I hate Christmas. It's sh1t.

Now all we need to do is stamp out the rest of the thing. I look forward someday to a long, blank, featureless Winter punctuated by.....nothing.

Ahhhhh delicious nothing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Pookah wrote: »

At that tender age I was the unwitting victim of being inculcated into a consumer culture, disguised in the form of a religious celebration.

Looking back on it now, I consider it a form of child abuse.

Child abuse, my hole! Parent abuse more like but in a good cause AND since when was Christmas about religion? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Poor Santa :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Traditionally Santa Claus has no involvement with Christmas in Germany anyway.

There would be the feast day of St. Nicholas (= Sankt Nikolaus which the yanks turned into Santa Claus during his passage through Ellis Island) on the 6th of December.

St. Nikolaus does bring small (mostly sweets, nuts, that kind of stuff) presents to good children but he has no sleigh and no red nosed reindeers either. He may come with a sidekick (Ruprecht) but that one has been dropped for political correctness reasons as he used to punish (i.e. admonish) children who had misbehaved.

Christmas itself is left to the bossman ...i.e. the baby Jesus (das Christkind) brings the presents, not Santa.

No sleighs or reindeers here either and no need for a chimney.

Santa is for Disney & Coca-cola trucks.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

• Advertisement

Well the Germans do have a track record in banning fun.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

'Tis a little known fact that the Germans shot down Santa over Beldrade on Christmas eve 1942 . It was only after this that parents started "pretending" he was still alive. I suppose they still feel a bit guilty about it and are trying to phase him out with a minimum of fuss. [in much the same way Fine Gael are trying to do with Enda Kenny]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

Cromwell banned Christmas altogether... I would do the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

"When Cromwell arrived in Ireland in 1649, he was the biggest prick in Europe."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

what the nazis did what now ? :rolleyes:

RTE also does a good job at ruining Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

santy is a bollocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Well the Germans do have a track record in banning fun.:(

http://www.writethirty.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/germans.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Oh I think Christmas has evolved beyond it's religious association through being a public holiday which can be recognised by anyone who wants it to be.

Downplaying material wealth in favour of giving without wanting in return is nice an' all but it's suspect that a group of Catholics want the 'replacement' to be a bishop.

Advertisement