Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is ireland a first world country?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I literally facepalmed when I saw the thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

We are a third world country with first world prices. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Please look up the definition of a third world country before making a silly post...

Funny enough, read this the other day. It doesn't really mean under developed but has taken on that meaning over time. Eg. Rich Middle Eastern countries.

“Third World Country” Doesn’t Refer to the Relative Wealth or Technological Level of a Country

But yes, we are a first world country.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

nudist wrote: »
    Given how crap and corrupt the government is here would we have more in common with war torn parts of Africa than say the rest of the EU?

I have some problems with your assertion. You can certainly not compare Ireland to war torn parts of Africa, thats simply incorrect to put it mildly.

Ireland has a lot of issues with the practices of its elected officials, especially when it comes to accountability and the fact that many politicians do not take ownership for their failures, policy misjudgements and sometimes apparent corruption (an example is the senator from Cork), in some other countries he would have been made to face the judiciary process with the level of evidence available.

However, institutionally Ireland is light years ahead of almost all developing countries and compares favourably with most first world countries.

N.B. It is bad form in this day and age to refer to Africa like its a country. I understand due to the poverty that exists in the continent as a whole ,it is easy to classify or refer to Africa as a country but it has 57 countries- some unimaginably messed up but you will be surprised to learn that there are countries that are stable and making progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Sykk wrote: »
    Oh... My... God.

I knew there were people a little less than educated. But seriously, I don't know what to say.

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

OP posted his message on the Internet, most probably from the comfort of his/her own home.

=> automatic fail.

This.

Oh sweet Joseph, husband of Mary but not father of sweet Jesus.

OP, you are quite clearly suffering from some type of delusion.
    You may have a job. If not, you are getting €197 or so from the government every week. If you are getting less than that, then you live with your parents, and they are feeding you.

You can walk the streets in safety. Yes, safety. Isolated incidences of violence towards other people do not count.
    People falling out of pubs does not mean we are a third world country. In fact, given the price of a pint, it's quite the opposite.

You have full and uncensored internet access. The same applies to news items about your country.
    You have the ability to post here about your hatred of the government without fear of being arrested. Were you to call a TD a useless drunken waste of sppace, then boards.ie would be responsible. You might get banned from here, but you won't end up in court. Actually, the fact that we have a court system to deal with libel shows that we are far more advanced than most of the world. Yeah, the libel laws are bad, but we can always pester our local TDs about them come election time.

Speaking of election time; I'm attempting to garner enough support to run for president next year. I would have done it earlier, but I wasn't old enough.
    A vote for me guarantees that FF will not be allowed to govern this country under my tenure.
    Yes, it is undemocratic, but it's what most people want, which is democratic.

tlnr?
    Vote Terry for president.

Advertisement