Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Irish artist/ band do you think is most underated/ under-recognised?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I know rory gallagher did have some recognition but absolutely not the amount a man of his talents deserved...he is a legend

he didn't care for fame but like another poster said, I know tonnes of Irish people who never heard of him and it's not just my age group (20's) my parents and their friends never heard of him either

Anyway most of the time when someone has heard of him they only know tattoo'd lady
    Rory had a vast cataloge of music with some cracking albums but his live shows was what really fuelled him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Future Kings of Spain, Rubyhorse, JJ72, Jerry Fish, Mic Christopher
    Mundy - Jellylegs his 1st album
    Frames - Dance the Devil and Fitzcarraldo

Under-rated artists/albums

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'd suggest Adebisi Shank, but I think maybe the reason they aren't very well-known is because they're a relatively young group. An amazing band with a sound that not many other people seem to touch upon. Give me a new band with new ideas over some old minor-pentatonic throttler any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Music is an art. anyone who practices it is therefore an artist.
    Japer wrote: »
    Singers are singers, bands are bands, and musicians are musicians. The afore-mentioned are not artists. Artists are people like Van Gogh, Jack Yeats, Knuttel, etc
    I think the most underated/ under-recognised singer in Ireland at the moment is Juliet Turner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 millennium band

relish is the most underated band everrrrrrr!! there unreal and i,m a musican myself!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 millennium band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

I was listening to a radio show on radio nova the other day, it was one of these all-irish shows.

he played lots of interesting stuff that I'd never heard of.

One band that really stood out was the Would-Be's, a cavan band from late-9180s championed by John Peel. The song he played was very good, sounded a bit like the Go-Betweens.

Other bands he played were Stepaside and Stump, also names I'd never heard of, and both good enough, both from 1970s.

He played a lot of the usual suspects too, Van, Rory. it was a good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Japer wrote: »
    Singers are singers, bands are bands, and musicians are musicians. The afore-mentioned are not artists. Artists are people like Van Gogh, Jack Yeats, Knuttel, etc
    I think the most underated/ under-recognised singer in Ireland at the moment is Juliet Turner.
    We're not talking about art in its literal sense. We're talking about any work or thing which provokes an emotional response.

If for some reason music does not elicit an emotional respose from you, then you are either listening to artless crap or you're not actually listening to the music at all.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    We're not talking about art in its literal sense. We're talking about any work or thing which provokes an emotional response.

If for some reason music does not elicit an emotional respose from you, then you are either listening to artless crap or you're not actually listening to the music at all.

Maybe we could move this to a seperate thread, its completely off topic.

The show I mentioned earlier was actually on 4fm, I got them mixed up.

Its hosted by Greg Heffernan, Sunday's at 8pm, which segue's nicely into Philip Kings show on 9pm on Radio1 (loved his commentary on the Joan Armatrading number this week).

Here is the set list - some very obscure names there as well as other world famous ones like Van or Thin Lizzy.

Bill Coleman - Welcome To The Breakdown
    Thin Lizzy - Whiskey In The Jar (Peel Session 14/11/72)
    Revelino - Step On High
    Jubilee Allstarts - Don't Give Up On Me
    Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster
    The Stars Of Heaven - So You Know
    Rory Gallagher - Banker's Blues
    Stump - Our Fathers
    The Would Be's - I'm Hardly Ever Wrong
    The Undertones - A Positive Touch (Peel Session 16/11/80)
    The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
    David Holmes - 160 Million Dollar Chinese Man
    Autamata - Liberty bell
    Granny's Intentions - Never An Everyday Thing
    Blue In Heaven - Sometimes
    The Reindeer Section - Your Sweet Voice
    Bill Coleman - Crossfire (Live In Studio)
    Cathy Davey - The Collector
    Mushroom - Johnny The Jumper
    Stepaside - 10 Out Of 10
    Van Morrison - In The Days Of Rock And Roll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

Mellow Candle (late '60s / early '70s prog rock) seem to be remembered fondly by a lot of people . . . I think they only released one album but it made a very big impression.

The Adventures - The Sea of Love I would think is up there with the best pop albums of the '80s. The debut is meant to be excellent as well.

Stump unfortunately managed just one proper album . . . singer and drummer were from Cork, the other two lads from London.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

So Cow is criminally underrated in Ireland, one of my favourite songwriters(probably my favourite Irish one). There's tons of great music coming out of Ireland nowadays, The Richter Collective, Popical Island, Long Lost Records and some other collectives have been putting out some really great stuff and putting on brilliant, yet cheap, shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

It's a real travesty that The Blades never got the international recognition they deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Bill2673 wrote: »
    I'd agree....there's a street in Temple Bar named after him, there's a statue of him in Ballyshannon, there's a Rory Gallagher blues festival.....maybe he should be 'more famous' than he is....but he's fairly well known already. People know who he is and what type of music he does. They can go out and get if they want. You could make the same argument for Thin Lizzy, or Van Morrison, or for people like John Martyn in the UK. Compared to someone like Mississippi John Hurt, who is my own favourite blues artist, Rory is fairly well known.

Man, came across him for the first time a couple of years back, watching a BBC documentary on some folk festival, Newport I think. I could listen to Nobody's Dirty Business for time immemorial. Him and Robert Wilkins would be my favourite blues artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hebotick

what about Bellefire?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

The Redneck Manifesto. Fantastic instrumental rock music, I'm shocked they are not bigger.

Hystereo. It's crazy to see bands like Justice and Digitalism become global superstars and Hystereo not even known in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think Republic of Loose should get a lot more respect than they do.

They've produced some very good tracks over the years. They lack a thoroughly consistent album of all killer, no filler but they still have a distinctive, refreshing sound.

Roisín Murphy's solo stuff is amazing too, especially er second album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

My friend Bobby makes some great music and just released an e.p. yesterday.

http://masses-masses.bandcamp.com/

Give it a listen and buy it if you enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Virgin Prunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Nolanger wrote: »
    Virgin Prunes.

They got too much recognition, imo....pretentious art farty wannabes.

Good comedy act though.

Advertisement