Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Today FM & Newstalk Android Apps now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Just after installing the Today FM one and it force closes every time. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no good. Suppose it's just teething problems and hopefully will get sorted soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Same here. Today FM app not working at all on N1 2.2.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Same here. Today FM app not working at all on N1 2.2.1.

Me too, HTC Hero...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Seems to be a problem with the high quality feed, if you quickly change the feed to low quality before it crashes it seems to work fine (for me anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

Mine freezing so i have to turn off phone to close it
    SE Mini Pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭davehey79

BigCon wrote: »
    Seems to be a problem with the high quality feed, if you quickly change the feed to low quality before it crashes it seems to work fine (for me anyway).

just tried that and can confirm this works. cheers BigCon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

That seems to have worked for me too. Thanks BigCon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

s_carnage wrote: »
    Today FM one and it force closes every time.

ya +1 from me
    Newstalk app was working for me all along and now its stopped and is acting like the Today FM app - force close unless you go to low quality
    Whats the deal - I saw a Newstalk post here before - are you watching now? can you sort it out?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thanks for the above.
    Was just about to post asking where do you switch it to low quality since the app never worked for me and the screen only lasts a second or two before force closing. For anyone else blind like me you need to select the menu soft button to access the option. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

+1 for me too. Good app otherwise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 razor69

Hi folks, I'm a newbie to the android world, so just finding my feet with this os. Quick question how do I Download and save the podcasts from today fm. Could set up rss feeds on my n95 8gb no probs, but on this (HTC Desire) when I go to the today fm podcast xml site I don't get links to download just text on the whole page. Downloaded the actual today fm app and can only stream the podcasts from there. Any help would be much appreciated :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

+1 works for me. cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

razor69 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm a newbie to the android world, so just finding my feet with this os. Quick question how do I Download and save the podcasts from today fm. Could set up rss feeds on my n95 8gb no probs, but on this (HTC Desire) when I go to the today fm podcast xml site I don't get links to download just text on the whole page. Downloaded the actual today fm app and can only stream the podcasts from there. Any help would be much appreciated :(:confused:

There is something regarding some new copyright law that you cannot download the today fm podcast anymore because of them containing copyrighted material. Think it's even been removed from itunes. You can still listen to them but just not download them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

2 good apps.If you were to listen live would these take up much of of your monthly data allowance...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

It's a pity there hasn't been an answer as to why these apps need to use GPS, especially as it has been asked a few times. I can't think of a legitimate reason for it so I have to assume that they want to track us for marketing purposes. That's a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yekrallum

The Newstalk app is good but there are a few issues....

1. As above, why the always on GPS? - maybe the answer is related to ....

2. the fact that the app is 448KB but as soon as it's launched it nearly doubles in size because of Data it gathers and Cache it stores! Is this necessary for an app like this? All this makes it essential that we can move it's storage location, it..
    3. requires SD storage capability.

I've a Desire running 2.2

Re: Today FM App - I can't find this on the Market today!

Re: Phantom FM - Someone mentioned that they were looking for a Phantom FM app, we know it's not out yet (if at all) but if it's just to listen to Phantom you can do it on the Internet Radio section of the TuneWiki music app. It's free and excellent for Phantom if you don't live in or near Dublin. You can also get Newstalk, Todayfm etc on it.

Also, if anybody knows an app that you can listen to BBC radio 5 live or Talksport on I'd appreciate a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

yekrallum wrote: »

2. the fact that the app is 448KB but as soon as it's launched it nearly doubles in size because of Data it gathers and Cache it stores! Is this necessary for an app like this? All this makes it essential that we can move it's storage location, it..

Re: Phantom FM - Someone mentioned that they were looking for a Phantom FM app, we know it's not out yet (if at all) but if it's just to listen to Phantom you can do it on the Internet Radio section of the TuneWiki music app. It's free and excellent for Phantom if you don't live in or near Dublin. You can also get Newstalk, Todayfm etc on it.

Also, if anybody knows an app that you can listen to BBC radio 5 live or Talksport on I'd appreciate a reply.

Cant find it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

yekrallum wrote: »

TuneIn Radio will get you almost any station. Serious app

fjsanchez wrote: »
    TuneIn Radio will get you almost any station. Serious app

Just installed TuneIn and deleted TuneWiki, all of the above stations and a lot more ... thanks fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

use the app scanner from this website http://www.appstorehq.com/todayfm-android-512330/app i have it downloaded now

• Advertisement

akamossie wrote: »
    use the app scanner from this website http://www.appstorehq.com/todayfm-android-512330/app i have it downloaded now

Thanks, worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Deleted Newstalk app as it was just plain poor. Very hit and miss reception, 2 mins or so to start up and also it buffers backwards i think, you are listening to part of a show and 10 mins later you hear the same again. Tunein radio beats the pants off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Anyone know if there is a 4FM app available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

bogman wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a 4FM app available

If you are on android, try tune in radio, you can pick up that station on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Thanks Angel01 :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Anyone else have some problems with the app?

Listening to pre-recorded shows has stopped working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Copper23 wrote: »
    Anyone else have some problems with the app?

Listening to pre-recorded shows has stopped working for me.
    I just came on to ask the same thing. Both podcasts and the archive have stopped working. I'm going to email Newstalk about it, it's the whole reason I use this over TuneIn. I'd pay for this app no problem but the archive would be essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LeGrandCheval

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    It's a pity there hasn't been an answer as to why these apps need to use GPS, especially as it has been asked a few times. I can't think of a legitimate reason for it so I have to assume that they want to track us for marketing purposes. That's a deal breaker for me.

Could the GPS tracking be linked to sports coverage? These stations tend to make a big hullabaloo when they secure the rights for the Premier League or Heineken Cup seasons but they may be forced to limit listening to users in Ireland... anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mickeycireland

does anyone with the newstalk app have it working these days, mine stopped working last week and fails ever since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

does anyone with the newstalk app have it working these days, mine stopped working last week and fails ever since

Me too and judging by the reviews in the Play Store, we're not the only ones.

Advertisement