Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite Christmas song?!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Rather than starting a new topic I thought I'd ask it here, what is everyone's favourite Christmas Song Cover?

Some of my favourites are , Winter Wonderland covered by Jason Mraz, and Last Christmas covered by Cascada :o (don't ask, lol)

There are some classic Christmas songs given modern twists, what are your favourites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Hello all. I've been lurching in this forum for a while now. Its good that, in the midst of all this financial IMF doom and gloom, we can turn to a forum that's merry and upbeat and warmly anticipating a truely wonderful time of the year. This morning I took my dogs out for a walk in the snow covered fields. My hands and feet were numb but it was really nice Christmassy feeling. It's really starting to feel alot like Christmas. I've been listening to Bing Crosby and Elivis all day. Here are some really good Christmas songs to get the ball rolling-

Apologies for having started the new thread, didn't see that one already existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Last Christmas covered by Cascada :o (don't ask, lol)

Check out a much superior cover of that by Jimmy Eat World , ignore the video here though It's just a fan video mashed with the song.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yes that's a much better version of it! Exactly the type of covers I'm looking for thanks!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

What's your favourite Christmas song?

Mine is Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, originally sung by Judy Garland in the musical Meet Me In St. Louis.

This is Judys original version:

And the later version with slightly modified lyrics sung here by Frank Sinatra:

What's everyone else's favourites? With videos if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I mentioned earlier in the thread that my favourite xmas song was In Dulci Jubilo by Mike Oldfield. I recorded this on Thursday evening as it seemed very festive with the snow coming down as the song played.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

There's a favourite xmas song thread with some crackers in it here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056052165 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I love Oh Holy night sang with harmony, always makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end as it's so eerie and beautiful.

I love fairytale of new York and..... Christmas Time (Don't let the bells end) by The Darkness! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Thread merged, and in tune with our weather situation:
    vvvvvvvv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Even better than Merry Christmas Everyone.....

and for covers this must rate as one of the most bizarre combinations ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I'm making my itunes playlist of Christmas songs as we speak. Top of the list is White Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

War is over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

without a douth Bruce Springsteens Santa Clause is coming to town.

Fantastic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The range on the eircom music hub is pretty fantastic!! Great for work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

And this:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Proper Christmas songs bar the odd one are pretty terrible, have to think outside the box for humourous tunes here.

Anyone who mentions Band Aid should be ashamed of themselves mentioning those money hungry fookers who performed for 'nothing' but made a measly 26m when they could have donated 1m each and made over double what the song made, lets not mention their album sales after 'donating' their free time to sing it..I guess their management were on the spot with the benefits of free publicity..Despicable whores each and everyone of them who sought nothing but gain...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've never understood the seemingly insatiable need to be cynical - and in your case outraged - about Band Aid. Ok, what you say is true, they could have made donations (how do you know for definite they didn't though?) but they still DID something. And yeah, it probably did their sales no harm, but having such big-name artists also guaranteed high sales of the record itself. Seems like Geldof, in the eyes of the naysayers, was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. I love Do They Know It's Christmas? Think it's a good tune. Hate the cover from a few years after (Kylie, Jason, Bros etc) and as for the recent drearyfest with Coldplay et al - zzzzzzzz....

A sad song, but gorgeous...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

d22ontour wrote: »
    Proper Christmas songs bar the odd one are pretty terrible, have to think outside the box for humourous tunes here.

Anyone who mentions Band Aid should be ashamed of themselves mentioning those money hungry fookers who performed for 'nothing' but made a measly 26m when they could have donated 1m each and made over double what the song made, lets not mention their album sales after 'donating' their free time to sing it..I guess their management were on the spot with the benefits of free publicity..Despicable whores each and everyone of them who sought nothing but gain...
    Dudess wrote: »
    I've never understood the seemingly insatiable need to be cynical - and in your case outraged - about Band Aid. Ok, what you say is true, they could have made donations (how do you know for definite they didn't though?) but they still DID something. And yeah, it probably did their sales no harm, but having such big-name artists also guaranteed high sales of the record itself. Seems like Geldof, in the eyes of the naysayers, was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. I love Do They Know It's Christmas? Think it's a good tune. Hate the cover from a few years after (Kylie, Jason, Bros etc) and as for the recent drearyfest with Coldplay et al - zzzzzzzz....

A sad song, but gorgeous...

Guys, this forum is a happy one and we welcome your fav Christmas songs.

But, keep the in depth discussion for another time or place.

Anywhere but here.:pac:

21.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

My two ultimate favourites are Bing Crosby and David Bowie's version of Little Drummer Boy, and Jona Lewie Stop the Cavalry, the latter especially because of all the Dubba Dubba Dubba Dum Dum's!!!!! Just makes me happy!:D

Oh and any of Kevin Bloody Wilson's Christmas ditties!!!;) (No links because they are definitely NSFW!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dudeitshurley

shinikins wrote: »
    My two ultimate favourites are Bing Crosby and David Bowie's version of Little Drummer Boy, and Jona Lewie Stop the Cavalry, the latter especially because of all the Dubba Dubba Dubba Dum Dum's!!!!! Just makes me happy!:D

Oh and any of Kevin Bloody Wilson's Christmas ditties!!!;) (No links because they are definitely NSFW!!)

+1 Just such a brilliant, simple Xmas song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Have a listen to"THE CHRISTMAS SHOES" on YouTube and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 easkey92

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

shinikins wrote: »
    ...Bing Crosby and David Bowie's version of Little Drummer Boy

If you're a Will Ferrell fan check this out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭doradoll

Just had O Holy Night played at our end of year school mass, Now its really Christmas

Advertisement