Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKYPE NOW AVAILABLE !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Didn't we have this already...? I could swear around... May or so (when I got my android phone) the phone company 3 (083) had free skype for the android phone...
    "Skype for 3 Mobile" is not the same as pure Skype it routes the calls via GSM and doesn't actually use the data allowance (AFAIK and open to correction on this).

I'm on 3 here in the UK and now have 2 versions of Skype on my Desire as the "Skype for 3 Mobile" can't run when the phone is connected to a WiFi network so need this new Skype to run when using WiFi in work/at home (and remember to switch when not on a WiFi network).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Have both 'Skype' and 'Skype for 3 Mobile' installed on my Galaxy S.
    Video calling working fine on the 3Ireland version. I wonder why there is no video on the Skype version?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone tried a call on this using edge? Don't even have 3g coverage in the ****hole I live in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Edge is not going to be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

That was a problem everyone was getting last night.

Working for me now. Have you restarted your phone?

What phone have you got.

Shane

I have a motorola milestone. Restarted the phone, and reinstalled the app, but still no joy. Its strange, when I go to sign in using my skype details it says username not found. But I can sign on no problem on my PC so its definitely the correct details. If I click the forgotten password link on the app its still saying the browser is not supported too...

• Advertisement

I still get the screen to sign in but if i leave it alone it sign's in automatically after about 1 min.

May see an update later this week i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭seklly

Mine seems to working fine again. I'd say it was just a case of the servers getting overloaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Irish Halo wrote: »
    "Skype for 3 Mobile" is not the same as pure Skype it routes the calls via GSM and doesn't actually use the data allowance (AFAIK and open to correction on this).

I'm on 3 here in the UK and now have 2 versions of Skype on my Desire as the "Skype for 3 Mobile" can't run when the phone is connected to a WiFi network so need this new Skype to run when using WiFi in work/at home (and remember to switch when not on a WiFi network).

Ah i see. Thanks for explaining.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Tried 3 calls now, all to other skype users.

Call quality was terrible, Un-Installed until they sort it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Was that that via Wifi or 3G/2G?
    Used it a few times this evening via wifi (no reception in apt). Call quality was great. Might consider getting a Skype-in number. ;)
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Tried 3 calls now, all to other skype users.

Call quality was terrible, Un-Installed until they sort it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Was that that via Wifi or 3G/2G?
    Used it a few times this evening via wifi (no reception in apt). Call quality was great. Might consider getting a Skype-in number. ;)

I was on Wi-Fi, could understand if it was 3g but not wi-fi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Tried a long call on wifi tonight. Quality was great but then started breaking up. Sometimes it'd go 10 minutes without a problem but others it would only last about 2. Had to hangup and call again every time it happened, got fairly irritating after a while.

Better than nothing though, well better than Nimbuzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Working fine here. The only issue: calling a PC Skype the call volume was very low, otherwise OK, no breakups/crackle. Tested 3 minutes on wifi and 4 minutes on 3G, same quality on both.
    I have a rooted Desire on O2, running OpenDesire 4.0.33 which forces the install on the SD card and can kill the app so no problem there for me. :D The only thing is, if I kill the app the notification icon stays there, tapping it restarts Skype (it has to load and log in again so it's definitely killed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Tried a long call on wifi tonight. Quality was great but then started breaking up. Sometimes it'd go 10 minutes without a problem but others it would only last about 2. Had to hangup and call again every time it happened, got fairly irritating after a while.
    To be fair Skype does this a bit on any platform I have used it on (Mac, Windows and Linux) whether connected to WiFi or a wired connection (including the connection here in work which is on JANET the UK academic network with amazing speeds/connectivity).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Irish Halo wrote: »
    To be fair Skype does this a bit on any platform I have used it on (Mac, Windows and Linux) whether connected to WiFi or a wired connection (including the connection here in work which is on JANET the UK academic network with amazing speeds/connectivity).

Depends on who your calling as well as network quality. Some connections I have seen have had a 7mb connection but high levels of packet loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Has anyone figured out how to turn it off? I don't have task killer & don't want to use it...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out how to turn it off? I don't have task killer & don't want to use it...

Go into skype,
    Hit the "my info" tab on the top.
    Click on the "Status" (Usually online)
    This brings up a "Change status" window.
    Select the "sign out" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just tried this on Vodafone on my Hero, and a call to the test number. Call quality excellent for the first few seconds, then breaks down into nothing recognisable as human speech. Similarly with the playback of the test voice data I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

I'm on vodafone, will skype go over my data plan or what?

Yes it goes through your Data Plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

14mb and no "Move to SD Card" option is a real bitch. Anyone know of a way to get it installed on the SD card?? Getting desperate at this stage. Can't bring myself to delete 5 or 6 other apps just to get this. Have the same issue with Flash Player 10.1 - 12mb with no SD card option. Sort it out Android!!

Anyone have a solution?? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There is an update out now, anyone notice many improvements?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There is an update out now, anyone notice many improvements?

I noticed that it runs in the background now.
    It wouldn't do this for me before the update.

x10i with 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RDMH

Any chance you could post them, can't access that site from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

From the site:
    With Skype for Android 1.0.1, we focused on the areas we received feedback on from our customers. In short the most important improvements for this release are:

* 320*240 and 240*400 screen resolutions are now supported.
    * Hardware back key is now supported.
    * Signing out from Skype now exits Skype.
    * Reduced power consumption in idle mode.
    * Improved login stability and behavior.
    * Improved performance with large contact lists.
    * Reduced application size.
    * General bug fixes.

Start downloading now the updated version of Skype for Android from Android Market or browse from your phone to skype.com/m, you can also see more details on our Skype for Android page. Let us know what you think about this release by visiting our forums.

New screen resolutions supported

We have introduced support for lower screen resolutions used on many popular Android devices, including the HTC Wildfire.

Hardware back key

When sending Skype to background with hardware back key, the Skype user interface process ends, but the library process continues to run in the background. As a result, you'll still be able to receive incoming calls and IMs. This should help reduce Skype's battery consumption while it's in the background.

Signing out now exits Skype

When you sign out from Skype then it now exits the Skype application.

The full release notes for release build 1.0.0.614 are:

Improvements:

* General bug fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

RDMH wrote: »

+1 blocked also! :D

Skype 1.0.1 for Android is here.

First of all, we'd like to thank everyone for the feedback given on the initial release of Skype for Android.

With Skype for Android 1.0.1, we focused on the areas we received feedback on from our customers. In short the most important improvements for this release are:

* General bug fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

RDMH wrote: »

Skype 1.0.1 for Android is here.

First of all, we'd like to thank everyone for the feedback given on the initial release of Skype for Android.

* General bug fixes.

Start downloading now the updated version of Skype for Android from Android Market or browse from your phone to skype.com/m, you can also see more details on our Skype for Android page. Let us know what you think about this release by visiting our forums.

New screen resolutions supported

We have introduced support for lower screen resolutions used on many popular Android devices, including the HTC Wildfire.

Hardware back key

When sending Skype to background with hardware back key, the Skype user interface process ends, but the library process continues to run in the background. As a result, you'll still be able to receive incoming calls and IMs. This should help reduce Skype's battery consumption while it's in the background.

Signing out now exits Skype

When you sign out from Skype then it now exits the Skype application.

The full release notes for release build 1.0.0.614 are:

Improvements:

* General bug fixes.

Known issues:

Devices affected Description Current solution
    All Android smart phones with firmware 2.0, 2.1 (including 2.1-update-1) Links in Skype.com (retrieving password, buying Skype subscriptions) do not open with native browser User is notified to download and use some other browser (e.g Opera Mini)
    Galaxy S 2.1 We do not recommend installing Skype 1.0.1 for Android on this device with Android 2.1 and below. Upgrade to Android OS version 2.2
    Samsgung Galaxy Spica I5700 2.1 Switching speakerphone ON does not have an effect None available
    Samsung Galaxy Spica I5700 2.1, HTC Legend 2.1 Connection is not seamless for these devices. When user has enabled both WiFi and 2G/3G connection, after a while, device switches to 2G/3G, but for other contacts, user appears to be offline as there really isn't no connection in the device None available
    Motorola Milestone 2.0 and 2.1; Motorola Milestone XT720 2.1 In case user receives incoming phone call during Skype call, it may happen that audio is not sent/received during phone call. None available
    Samsung Galaxy Spica I5700 2.1, LG Aloha 2.1 Skype 1.0.1 for Android performance on these devices may not be optimal for all users. None available
    HTC Wildfire When a Skype call is placed on hold, the text 'Call on Hold' isn't displayed as it's hidden under the End call button. None available
    All When selecting contact from Native Address Book in Dial pad view and if you have many contacts in Native Address Book then contacts are synced first and then displayed in alphabetical order None available
    All Skype call drops when connection changes from 2G/3G to WiFi. None available
    All Call quality depends on the signal strength of Wi-Fi connection and the bandwith of 3G connection If call quality is not optimal, make sure you have good network reception
    All Multilined mood message displays square mark in place of line break None available
    All In Dial pad view, prefix for South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands is wrong (shown as +0) User can add those contacts as SkypeOut contacts and start calls from contact profile view or from contextual menu options
    All Country prefix is not recognized for British Ocean Territory and Pitcairn None available
    All Birthday notification is shown after user logs in User has to log out and in again to receive birthday notifications
    All Sometimes US numbers are not recognized and therefore flag is not displayed in Dial Pad view. In addition to this, Dialer does not store outgoing calls to USA and Canada correctly in the Recent destinations in Dial Pad view None available. User can still make calls
    All On some devices, radio music is not stopped automatically when Skype calls comes in. Call can be received, but when answering the call, radio music is still played together with call audio. User has to stop radio manually
    All Handset vibrate doesn't work when there is an incoming Skype call. None available
    All Back button has a inconsistent behavior when opening phone notifications -> skype event -> chat. If the user then press back button, he/she will exit the client instead of navigating to the tab view. None available

• Advertisement

Also remember guys,

They do not recommend you installing on devices running 2.1 and you really need a 1Ghz processor to work properly. Still some problems with Samsung Galaxy series phones

Advertisement