Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are NCT Tests free?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

As far as I thought, its only free if you have to wait for three months to recieve a DATE, not if the date is three months away.

I could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

would like to know myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

Prices here

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

I booked a test back in march for a car. Got a date within one week for a test six weeks off. I complained on the day but had to pay

Wrote a letter to their head office and 2 months later got the euro50 back.

If you don't get a test within a month you don't pay (or in my case get a refund)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

dromdrom wrote: »
    Prices here

Thanks Dromdrom, I've looked at these sites but there's nothing really there to answer the question :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

The "customer's charter" on display in the local test centre gives the info you want.

Have heard of the NCT refusing to give a free test because a test time within the period had been available at the next closest test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Got a letter from NCT today confirming they will refund my test fee.

Asked them for a priority booking by email. After about two weeks I was given a date for four months later.

Went in on the day and was told I had to pay, but to write to them to get the money back.

Emailed them a couple of days ago with my reg, and letter in the post today saying a cheque will be sent out.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

NCT Customer Charter here;
    http://www.ncts.ie/customer_charter.html

Received my refund by cheque today, six months after booking test. :cool:

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

At no point in their charter does it say people can demand their test appointment be brought forward if the waiting time is greater than 4 weeks.

Yet in their letter to me where they are refusing to refund me €50.00, they say "This refers to a situation where a customer requests a sooner appoointment but NCT is unable to provide one". I booked online and the only date available was 4 months down to road. At no point did I read that I could phone up and demand a sooner date. They refuse to credit me because I didn't call and demand a sooner appointment.

Their second letter to me stated "..all appointments offered by NCT are generally outside the 4 week period. We have found that this is most suitable for the vast majority of our customers.."

So now we know.....we can phone them up and demand sooner appointments ;)Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

• Advertisement

Ouch.

I just noticed that I didn't even specifically ask for a priority booking.

As I couldn't get any test through the online booking form, I just sent them an email asking for a test date. They replied next day saying the they were fully booked, and would put me on a priority list and send me a date in the post. I didn't email back to agree/disagree.

I will keep on bugging them. It's not as if the Gov. can't afford it. Or afford to set up extra test centres around trhe country to cope with demand and give people jobs.....

Advertisement