Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye test for driving licence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

If your friend has a medical card or qualified under their PRSI they can get an eye test for free. Ask before the test that you need a drivers report and this should be included as part of the free eye test. If they are willing to charge you ask in a different practice as most places will fill out a drivers report for free.

If your friend has neither PRSI or medical card then they are just going to have to pay and €15 is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marrakechheat

endplate wrote: »
    If your friend has a medical card or qualified under their PRSI they can get an eye test for free. Ask before the test that you need a drivers report and this should be included as part of the free eye test. If they are willing to charge you ask in a different practice as most places will fill out a drivers report for free.

If your friend has neither PRSI or medical card then they are just going to have to pay and €15 is the norm.

thx for ur direct answer and quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No that's the old form. Here's a link to the new form.

My mother was trying to renew her licence and she was sent the old form just last week by Dublin City Council. She went into specsavers and they refused to sign off on anything because of these new requirements and they advised her to go to the Charlemount Clinic. This is very strange and seems to be totally unclear.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

There are new requirements now, test takes longer [about 20-25mins] and is stricter, it's more in depth, fields need to be taken as well. Where I work [sole trader, not part of a chain] we charge €25 now as apposed to a month ago where the test took 10mins and cost €15.

Not all Opticians have a field screener so it is causing a lot of people hassle, GP's can still test you for it but some have taken up the new regualtions differently are are not checking the fields of vision, and others are referring people elsewhere for the fields. I think the new regulations are all up in the air a bit at the moment, things could change again.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

I got the eyesight check done today (for "group 1") in Dublin city centre, took c. 5 mins at lunchtime, no appointment necessary, cost €15. The optician said the requirements have not got more strict (yet), and that only the form had changed.

I called into an optician on Henry St. at the weekend and they said I would have to make an appointment, as the test was "longer now". Only times they did that test were 10.30pm and 4.30pm or something like that, not convenient for those of us who work 9-5!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Like I said before the eye test for private drivers is still pretty much the same as before and should only take a few minutes to do. With an average cost of around €15. The test for commercial drivers is more stringent.

WRT Lady. That was the case when the new regs came in but all Opticians were told that some of the tests including the fields test were not required for private drivers currently.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

Like I said before the eye test for private drivers is still pretty much the same as before and should only take a few minutes to do. With an average cost of around €15. The test for commercial drivers is more stringent.

WRT Lady. That was the case when the new regs came in but all Opticians were told that some of the tests including the fields test were not required for private drivers currently.

According to all the info we have received a fields screen is necessary and thus means it takes a bit longer than it did with the old requirements, we also charge more as now more time and equipment is needed. I am not sure what information you have been given since the new rules a few weeks ago but afaik it hasnt changed for Class 1 since then. It's possible people are interpretting the regulations differently.

From most Opticians understanding a field screen is needed to pass and most opticians are not offering to do the Driving Report as they don't have a Field Screener.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jwabh

what endplate says is correct, the new standards were introduced by the rsa in association with the rcpi without any consultation with the optical professional body. Most opticians didn't have the necessary equipment to do the new test and hence the rsa have made the decision to not introduce the new test requirements for private drivers at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sally1999z

Is it okay to get a general eye test for a driving licence or do i need to get a specific eye test for the licence

Advertisement