Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland, Driving On Right Hand Side Of Road

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Berty wrote: »
    Bus stops on the wrong side of the road.
    Doors of the bus on the wrong side of the bus....
    I think we should switch. It would solve the problem around schools where the yummies dropping off little Winifred and Winstanley insist on making them alight from the massive SUV / Hummer into the middle of busy roadway. Hello, Mrs-Pyjama-bottoms-with-an-anorak-over-the-tops, there's a door that allows your little devil offspring darlings alight from the vehicle onto the safety of the pavement. Is walking around the car to open a door going to cause your botox to melt or your plastic bits to slip or did you even know that 90% of the time these days the child-proof locks on the rear doors are electronic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

stupid stupid stupid unnecessary
    why the **** should we change when there's nothing wrong with what we have atm? it'd be the biggest waste of time, money, and resources ever

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

phasers wrote: »
    Please be joking :eek:

Gullible also just got removed from the dictionary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

It's not broke. Don't fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

when would it be brought in? 12 am on january 1st? as soon as mdnight strikes anyone driving wil have to swerve over to the other side of the road :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A lot of drivers I meet, tend to drive in the middle of the road. So they've all ready got all the bases covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Being right handed how could I draw my sword and smite the oncoming driver if I'm on the right hand side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

phasers wrote: »

I actually saw some stupid bitch going round a roundabout backwards in Tallaght once. Scariest thing was she was headed towards the m50 :eek:

You should have followed her to tell her she was on the wrong side of the road.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

old_aussie wrote: »
    I think it would take at least one generation, maybe two generations to become the norm.
    If it takes them longer than a day to adjust it's just not going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

We already do drive on the right hand side.....and the left :confused:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ever have scalextric as a child?
    We can have scalextric style crossings at the border to Northern Ireland

On another way smaller example, the quays in Dublin city centre were once the opposite way around.
    The North quays went west out of the city and the south quays went east into the city

After much planning and preparation, it was swapped on a Sunday morning.
    People said it wouldn't work but it went fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Jesus no, why should we?

+1. It might make sense if we were part of a continent, but Britain and Ireland are islands. We don't have to adopt every aspect of European life.

It might only happen if a group of Eurocrats with too much time on their hands pass a decree. And even then there'd be a heck of a lot of resistance both from the UK and Ireland. Look at how long it's taken the UK to adopt the metric system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Thomas828 wrote: »
    +1. It might make sense if we were part of a continent, but Britain and Ireland are islands. We don't have to adopt every aspect of European life.

It might only happen if a group of Eurocrats with too much time on their hands pass a decree. And even then there'd be a heck of a lot of resistance both from the UK and Ireland. Look at how long it's taken taking the UK to adopt the metric system.

they're still mulling over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Simple solution is to turn every road and street into one way system, then left hand or right hand cars/vehicles can still drive here without any issues. It will reduce head on collisions. That just leave 80% of others collisions we have every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

token56 wrote: »
    Alot of people here can bearly drive on the left hand side, I wouldn't like to think about what would happen if we switched sides.

Nothing wrong with bearly driving on the left hand side

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

No, Ireland and Britain should make the EU to drive on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Islands need a damn good reason to switch, given there's no awkward border switches. Samoa wanted cheaper cars from Oz, Okinawa wanted to get in line with the rest of Japan, Newfoundland ditto with Canada.

Ireland has a border with another RHD country, so there is no reason to switch. If someone can think of one other than "wouldn't it be nice?", I'd be all ears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mike65 wrote: »
    Being right handed how could I draw my sword and smite the oncoming driver if I'm on the right hand side?

Exactly, which is why driving on the left is the obvious thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

DingChavez wrote: »
    No, Ireland and Britain should make the EU to drive on the left.

+1

I'm not going to go looking for a link but it's supposedly safer to drive on the left because most people are right handed (good hand on the wheel/controlling the car while changing gear instead of the other way around).

Also, I think that driving on the left feels more natural. On multi-lane roads we keep left and overtake on the right; it's sort like how we read left-to-right. Driving on the right and overtaking on the left seems so unnatural IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

This will never happen beleive me! The costs would be astronomical and encase anyone hasn't noticed we are bankrupt as a nation.

On the plus side at least some of the morons on the Motorway would be in the driving lane for once instead of hogging the overtaking lane at 90km/h in their crappy Micras.

It won't happen but if it did I would adapt easily as I have driven in Germany with absolute ease and about 5mins out of the Airport I was cruising at 200km/h on the Autobahn and that was my first time ever driving on the other side of the road.

Driving on the left with RHD car is easy

Driving on the right with a LHD is easy

A RHD in Europe or a LHD here is a son of a beach as you tend to drift over.

If it did happen I might eventually be able to master manuals with my right hand as my left hand is useless and I drive an Auto instead!

• Advertisement
Advertisement