Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design & Communication Graphics Tips & Tricks

Options
  • 01-10-2010 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I done my Leaving Certificate last year in The Institute of Education.
    Design & Communications Graphics was my favourite subject especially the project.
    But, its become quite obvious that there is a massive gap in the teaching of the subject.
    Most of my mates didn't know where to start and the teachers themselves were not 100% aware of everything.
    Even in the Institute there was a massive difference between the 2 DCG teachers. One of them was brilliant, the other, in comparison terrible. What's worse is that in my school before the best standards were terrible and that school was quite good in its own right.

A major problem is that in such a new subject, the teachers are themselves learning what is expected of the students - through the mistakes of those who done badly the year before.
    It'll take at least another couple of years for the teachers to gain the knowledge they need to help out properly and so right now most students are in a dilemma.

I don't mean to brag but I know quite a bit about SolidWorks and what is expected, where to start, what to do and what not to.

So I've decided to try and help out.

Over the next couple of weeks ill go through everything I can, in detail.
    If you have any questions please ask away.

NB. I'm trying to get as many people, doing DCG, as possible on this thread.
    Could you please pass on the web address of the thread to everyone you know doing DCG, higher or Ordinary Level.
    Thanks.

How helpful was this thread? 24 votes

1 Star - Complete rubbish. No help at all. Useless thread.
    0%
    2 Star - Bad thread. Confusing, misguiding.
    12%
    PictureFramemullarkey bsquiglicious 3 votes
    3 Star - Okay thread. Didn't make a difference really.
    4%
    ride-the-spiral 1 vote
    4 Star - Good thread. Very useful.
    0%
    5 Star - Brilliant thread. Couldn't have done my project without it!!!
    83%
    willbeerogueyShotgunBoyJ_Ecitizen_ppajero12NotExactlyCiano35nightdreamSligo007TheFullDuckMikeHoughsharks93Paczinikate747CrabRevolutionSully67HowyeLadsSarah?breeda hughes 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nightdream

thank you so much!!!!! i've started mine and have the output1 done, now i just have to get my hands on output2..these2 shouldn't have any problem
    my main concern would be the solidworks because i am absolutely terrible at it=(

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bally2009

i am badly stuck for ideas for the titles on output one! any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Thanks Flex for your input so far. Could you put up a PDF. of your written project and maybe give us an idea of the standard we need to be at? Wouldn't mind looking at your final solidworks work from last year aswell!!

Oh and how do ya cut your piece in half in Solidworks and shell out the inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Flex123

OUTPUT 1.
    Exploration of brief and presentation of existing
    artefacts in graphic format.

First thing most people miss is the first 3 words. EXPLORATION OF BRIEF!
    Write out the WHOLE brief on part of your Output.
    Highlight key words and phrases. Draw and arrow pointing at each key word and write how it will affect your project.

EG. Portable satellite navigation systems have, in recent times, become a popular car accessory.
    A means of securely mounting the device inside the car is an essential feature of all such systems.
    These devices frequently have a variety of additional features such as, touch screen, integrated speakers, volume control, card slot etc

Portable Satellite navigation.
    The brief immediately highlights the focus of the project. More importantly is the word Portable. This indicates that the Sat Nav has to be movable. I believe that things affecting the portability of the device will have to be looked at later on throughout the project. These would include ergonomics, physical size, weight, and battery life.

That's the first one done. DO NOT copy it word for word. I want people to reply on this thread with there views on the other key words and phrases on the brief. Other people will then comment on how to improve your work.

Next the Output says you have to look into existing artefacts.
    Using google look up the timeline of Sat. Nav.
    try find out who came up with the idea.
    Lets say you find out what year the first one came out. Find out all the features it had, the portability everything. write it down and put in a picture.
    even if you are crap at drawing DRAW some of the key features of that model.

Then find out which features were added over time. eg. Touch Screen. Find out one of the first touch screens and talk about as you done with the one before.

Do this for at least 5/6 ... Make sure the one you want to build on S.W. is one of these.

If you are doing this on computer (recommended) leave space to sketch in things here and there.

If you cant sketch there's a little loop hole. Print out a picture of what you want to sketch. Put it on a glass table with a lamp underneath and trace it out onto your sheet... Rough it up a tiny bit as remember no one is perfect at freehand drawing. if it looks to good to be true you can get in trouble.

If you do use this method all your work over the project has to be to the same standard.

Now at the end of either every page or every output, your choice, do a small paragraph. It doesn't have to be more than 2/4 lines.
    Call it REFLECTIONS
    Say what you learned from the output and how it will effect you in doing the other outputs. Make sure you put alot of I's in there.
    You could also say how it will help you see things differently when you look at them in life from now on. Eg. after doing the SolidWorks you could say how it will help you design the new Sat. Nav in output 7/8. The experience has also let you appreciate all the work that goes into building a Sat. Nav in real life as you seen how complicated it is to design.

Output 1 should never be more than 1 page.

Also don't leave the page background blank. Use a nice neutral colour of if you know how use a faded watermark on Microsoft Word.

clonadlad wrote: »
    Thanks Flex for your input so far. Could you put up a PDF. of your written project and maybe give us an idea of the standard we need to be at? Wouldn't mind looking at your final solidworks work from last year aswell!!

Oh and how do ya cut your piece in half in Solidworks and shell out the inside?

Sorry I cant put up the PDF's as my project is back in Ireland. Im doing college in england. Im back in 3 weeks and I can do it then. I think I have some of the work on my email. Ill look for it. If i can find it ill show it.

For cutting the piece in half look at it from the top. Draw a line over the middle. Now SAVE your work as SAT. NAV UNCUT.

Now click on the line and extrude cut.
    If you are left with the front call it SAT. NAV. FRONT

Go to SAT NAV UNCUT and redo what you just done keeping the back this time.

As for shelling it out, do this as soon as you can as later on in the project it becomes hard to get it right.
    Simply click on features click shell. Keep it at a thickness of around 2/5 mm.

If you already cut your piece and want to shell make sure you click on the face you want to be hollow. I mean the back of the FRONT piece and the front of the BACK piece.

• Advertisement

Can everyone pass this address onto anyone doing DCG, higher or Ordinary. Even to teachers. Want to get as many people as possible on this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68308416#post68308416

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Great to see somebody passing on their wisdom and experience, but not everybody who sees this might be as careful about avoiding plagiarism as you might like. It won't affect you, but it will affect them. Their own problem I suppose.

dambarude wrote: »
    Great to see somebody passing on their wisdom and experience, but not everybody who sees this might be as careful about avoiding plagiarism as you might like. It won't affect you, but it will affect them. Their own problem I suppose.

You're right it isn't my problem but because of what I'm doing I'm causing problems.
    The whole point of this for me is to help.
    That's why I'm trying to generalize this information as much as possible.
    If you ever watched people cooking the same recipe you'll notice that in the end everyone has a totally different plate in front of them with different tastes.

By generalizing everything I give the right foundations for someone wanting to get an A. But from there they have to personalize the project. If they don't they wont get the A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Thanks for doing this Flex. My DCG teacher is definitely one of the ones who doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to this project. I'll be sure to follow this thread until the project due date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dg1994

Does anybody have any ideas for modifications on a satnav?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Stupidly Naked

My DCG teacher is amazing, but I have a hard time with the drawing, project wise Im set. I will pass this adress on, thank you very much,
    -Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stupidly Naked

Dg1994 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any ideas for modifications on a satnav?

I wouldn't bother man, be unique. Make a new idea,

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Flex123 wrote: »

I disagree I think 2 pages should be used for Output 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

NotExactly wrote: »
    Flex123 wrote: »

I disagree I think 2 pages should be used for Output 1.

+1 on that. Going by previous marking schemes Output 1 is worth 15marks, the same as Output 2, so 2 sheets would be best for both.

Another recommendation to you would be to download this information booklet if you haven't already bought a copy from your teacher.

Okay firstly sorry about not replying to everyone. For some reason i stopped getting email notifications about everything.

In relation to page numbers etc.

Here is my recommendation followed by reasons.

- Output 1 = 1 Page
    - Output 2 = 2 Pages
    - Output 3 = 1 Page
    - Output 4 = CD
    - Output 5 = 3 Pages
    - Output 6 = 1 Page
    - Output 7 = 3 Pages
    - Output 8 = 1 Page
    - Output 9 = 2/3 Pages

Reasons

Output 1 is a quick and concise Output. You are doing a quick run through on the history of Sat. Nav.s
    With a couple a line or two on each one you look at.
    Using more than 1 page will take away from the number of pages you use on more crucial outputs.

Output 2 needs to be more detailed. You have to compare two Sat. Nav.s Not just quickly but you have to compare the primary and secondary features.
    eg. Aesthetics, Ergonomics, What material are they made from, Colour, Sound, Different internal features, Battery and charging, How are they stored in car (Docking), Touch Screen, Memory, Shape, Size, Weight, Buttons etc.
    Each person will use different ones from this list and maybe others I didnt mention depending on the Sat. Nav's they've chosen.
    You also have to freehand sketch the things you write and compare.
    You definitely will need 2 pages to do this properly.
    3 Pages will be a waste of time.

Output 3 Marking scheme doesn't give you a choice now does it?
    1 Page

Output 5 1 page should go towards orthographic views.
    1 page towards exploded view
    1 page towards fully rendered view.
    Remember to zoom in on all detailed areas. To show front, back, side views. Views at weird angles etc.
    Rendered views on each page. The last page should be alot of bigger sizes.
    Also include a Key and table. Like the one you see on instruction manuals.
    With a number off each part you've draw.
    Eg. have a buble coming out of the screen with the number 1. Then have a table to the side saying. 1 Screen. DO this for all the pieces you make.
    If you do this right 3 pages will barely be enough.

Output 6 1 page. Look at marking scheme.

Output 7 3 pages. Ill explain this later. just trust me 3 pages will be needed.

Output 8 1 Page

Output 9 3 pages. This is like joining Outputs 5 & 6 in one page less.

MODIFICATIONS
    Modifications are one of the worst mistakes you can make doing the project.
    I wanted to put this up at a later time in the thread but I've been getting alot of questions about it.

Most people think that 2/3 small modifications will be enough.
    I was advised against doing modifications by every teacher i spoke to about it.
    You have to do at least 3/5 major mods.
    You then have to say why you done the modification.
    A simple reason wont do. You have to do research into it. Alot of research. You have to talk about how it will affect your SAT NAV. The Materials.
    How it will affect the environment. The Aesthetics require loads of work.
    Functionality.
    Placement of new mods. Why did you put the mod on the back not the front. etc etc etc.
    It is much harder to do modifications and do well.
    From looking at previous years most people who try doing mods do much worse than those doing a new concept. Remember that as long as you can say why you think your concept is good you get loads of marks.

When you design a new piece it isnt detailed.
    It took me over 2/3 months to design my PSP. It took me less than a day to the the new piece.

When you do a new piece you do it over 3 pages.
    The first page takes up time but no imagination. Your just downloading loads of pics of things that inspire you from google and make a mood board, then you write around 70 words.
    You might instead of looking at everything that inspires you look at a certain catagory, eg sport, or football, building, music, art, the moon, ANYTHING etc.
    Ill tell you more about this on the thread later.

Page 2 is more pics, but not as much as the last page.
    Lets say you went for a catagory in page 1. Eg. Building.
    On this page you refine it even more. You might narrow it to sky scrapers, or round building, or a certain architect.
    You do a couple of freehand sketches of rough ideas.
    with a sentence on each pic.

Page three is more detailed sketches. Putting ideas together over the page. Certain features etc.
    You now have the final piece.

Ill be putting up ideas on what to design later.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

Thanks a million for this. I'll definitely be following this thread it'll be a great help.
    I'm going onto the concept design now and i really dont know where to start with it so looking forward to your tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

When I was doing the video game controller last year we were advised, instead of doing 5/6 modifications to designed a completely new controller. I found it easier than modifying my existing one:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

thanks a lot for everything so far flex.

about part B. our fella was hinting more at modifications cos u have all the measurements and he says it wud be harder to make/draw a new concept as it wudnt be in front of u.
    but i'll take yer recommendations on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

So after I was told by my teacher that it was okay to do Solidworks at home, I modelled half of my existing design on my laptop one night. Then I came along here and was told you're not allowed to that. Is there any way I can copy/paste stuff, or will I have to remake it all in school? I don't even know how many marks I'd get docked if I just left it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 WreckinBar

Cydoniac wrote: »
    So after I was told by my teacher that it was okay to do Solidworks at home, I modelled half of my existing design on my laptop one night. Then I came along here and was told you're not allowed to that. Is there any way I can copy/paste stuff, or will I have to remake it all in school? I don't even know how many marks I'd get docked if I just left it...

You'll have to remake it all in school.

If you right click on any feature in the design tree on the left pane in Solidworks, then click on 'Feature Properties' you can see when the feature was created and when it was last modified. If any of those dates and times are outside of school time, you can get penalised for it.

MikeHough wrote: »
    thanks a lot for everything so far flex.

about part B. our fella was hinting more at modifications cos u have all the measurements and he says it wud be harder to make/draw a new concept as it wudnt be in front of u.
    but i'll take yer recommendations on board.

I wanted to do a modification for my PSP.
    Put in PSP IWISH into google images.
    Thats a model that was designed but not built so I could use it for a modification.

You'd think that the standard expected for a modification would mean that I would get an A in the section of Part B of the project.

But designing the Iwish was not the real problem. It would've taken me around 2/3 days to do all that.
    The problem was justifying every button, the camera, the slide feature, everything. And I would of have to into so much depth.

As for designing something new it means it doesn't have to be measured. Whatever looks right is right. Make sure you can hold it well. That it'll charge.
    The best thing you can do is go into a shop such as Halfords or another shop selling them. Ask the shop assistant what people look for in Sat. Nav.s
    eg. Why do they chose one from all the others. What is the difference between the best one and the others.
    And why is the main reason people return them, as in what is the greatest flaw.

You can also ask other people who actually have them what they would want more in Sat. Nav.s

The best person to ask is a taxi driver who has been working for a good couple of years. They would have worked with loads of Sat Nav.s.
    Go to a Shopping centre eg blanchardstown or swords.
    Ask all the taxi drivers that wait outside the entrance.
    Make a list of the good points and the bad points and find out ways to improve the bad.

Your teacher is risking the 40% of everyone's grades.
    It is clearly stated that the project has to be done in school supervised.
    The examiner can easily check the in school bit.
    There's a reason behind this rule.
    I can very simply ask a brother, friend, parent, relative...anyone who is good with CAD to do me the entire SolidWorks part of the project. Put it on a USB and bring it into school.
    I can pay them.
    I can download SolidWorks files and hand them in as my own.

If an examiner checks and sees that you done your work at home he can say you cheated. They can cancel your whole project. Thats 40%.
    There was a section about cheating in the Geography project handbook in the front last year. If you cheat on a project your whole project can be cancelled.
    Your whole subject can be cancelled. (So you get no points even if you get full marks on the 60% of the written part of the DCG project)
    In extreme cases your whole leaving cert is cancelled.

Its not worth it.
    Although its likely that you COULD lose only the 40% of the project the risk is not worth taking.

Your teacher is giving you the wrong info.
    I'd tell the rest of your class to make sure they do it in school

cookier wrote: »
    Thanks a million for this. I'll definitely be following this thread it'll be a great help.
    I'm going onto the concept design now and i really dont know where to start with it so looking forward to your tips!

PM me the ideas you've had so far on the new concept. Im trying to keep as personal questions about the project off the thread to stop people just copying exactly what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nightdream

i think you better off remake it in school because the examiner can easily find out where did you do yours, and apparently last year, 60 students didnt get marks for theirs because they didnt do theirs in school!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

ya. our teacher said a load of cds get picked out at random and checked so its defo not worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sharks93

thanks! this is great! gave me a good base for my project!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

I'm on Output 2 at the moment. Is it basically one page with the Sat Navs themselves with a fact box on each with the same headings, such as weight, dimensions, how it's mounted, etc.? And then page 2 is about the mounting devices with another 2 fact boxes? Or do we actually have to say "GPS A has a 5 inch screen whereas GPS B has a 7 inch screen" and so on?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Shane101

I'm on Output 2 at the moment. Is it basically one page with the Sat Navs themselves with a fact box on each with the same headings, such as weight, dimensions, how it's mounted, etc.? And then page 2 is about the mounting devices with another 2 fact boxes? Or do we actually have to say "GPS A has a 5 inch screen whereas GPS B has a 7 inch screen" and so on?

Personal preference I would think. Which looks better/displays the information clearer.

• Advertisement

Personally id go for your first option. But make sure you compare and contrast more than two features on the sat nav and two on the mount

Advertisement