Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you say "I did something"?

Options
  • 01-10-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

Can someone please tell me if there is a generic " I did...."? e.g I did the Irish beginners class last year" "I did...whatever" ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Rinne me?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Rinne me?
    is that rinny may

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

flynnboy wrote: »
    is that rinny may

Id pronounce it Rinn-a May

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Rinne or Dhein

The "e" in Rinne sounds like the "e" in the in english

Dhein mé sounds like yen may

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Dhéin mé isn't correct?! Since ''Rinne Mé'' is the Aimsir Caite (Past Tense) of the verb Déan (Irregular Verb)
    In the context you asked for, you could say;
    ''Thóg mé rang gaeilge anuraidh.''
    I took an Irish Class last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

flynnboy wrote: »
    Hi

Can someone please tell me if there is a generic " I did...."? e.g I did the Irish beginners class last year" "I did...whatever" ?

Thanks

D'fhreastal mé ar rang Gaeilge na dtosnathóirí anuraidh...
    While "Rinne mé" is the standard used for "I did", "Dhein mé" is what they say in the Kerry Gaeltacht.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is one of those cases there is not a direct translation.
    You'll tie yourself in all sorts of knots if you try to directly translate English into Irish.

Advertisement