Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(US) Granny shoots 12 year old; neighbors cheer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Only In America.

Pretty sure that could happen in Fingla, Dundalk, Limerick, or Westport.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

That'll teach him.
    The sad thing is, it probably won't.

Well in fairness it probably will teach him not to throw stones at peoples' houses.

But you're right, it won't teach him not to be a scumbag in general. Maybe if every time he did something wrong, somebody shot him. Eventually he would be a decent law abiding citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Well in fairness it probably will teach him not to throw stones at peoples' houses.

But you're right, it won't teach him not to be a scumbag in general. Maybe if every time he did something wrong, somebody shot him. Eventually he would be a decent law abiding citizen.

Not to sound like someone's grandma, but back in the day, if your neighbor caught you throwing stones, they would whoop your ass, and then your parents would do it - then they would make you apologize and pay for the replacement windows (usually via child slave labor). And the punishment would be ESPECIALLY harsh if you were throwing them at an elderly neighbor.

Some kids need to be scared straight, and it's sad that it took getting shot to (maybe) make it happen for this kid, but it doesn't sound like police intervention did any good and parental intervention wasn't happening.

Again, not normally an advocate of shooting children (:p), but I do think that kids need to have a sense of healthy fear of an authority figure, whether it's Daddy when he gets home, or the local beat cop, or even their own granny...or the gun-toting granny next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I honestly don't think that shooting children is anything to be applauded.

Unless it was a particulary difficult shot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Good enough for the little cunt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Unless it was a particulary difficult shot

She was standing behind someone at the time...

and to be honest, she didn't even mean to hit him...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

this happened on the south side of Chicago
    I'm a yank.
    Not to sound like someone's grandma,

Would you do it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

You know what I think is the problem? It's the law against hitting kids. Go back a few years and a neighbour would have went out and given the kids a good slap in the head before it escalated to this. All this bull**** about not hitting kids means that the wild ones don't have anyone to put them back in their place, their waster scummy parents won't do it so I personally think that the locals should be able to, I'm not saying they should beat the tar out of them but a good cuff in the head would set most of them straight. This PC bull**** will the ruination of society, it's just nonsensical, kids can get away pretty much with murder nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

You dun goofed up kid.

Nice one granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

What the hell was her son in law doing about the situation?

Pointing out targets?.

He probably supplied her with the gun.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Well if he shot the kid he'd be locked up. She's a senior citizen so has more rights ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

This is nuts, she should be locked up for this. She shot at kids with a handgun. This is beyond reckless endangerment and is just typical of gun culture in america. It's like Padraig Nally all over again, you can't call him an out and out hero even if you do feel for the situation because himself and this Granny escalated the situation too far.

This is nuts, the kids & their parents should be locked for this. The threw rocks and harrased an elderly person and her neighbourhood. It's the PC brigade all over again, you can't call them role models because noone can slap a child on the arse with being scrutinized. They have escalatd this situation too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I'll put cash money that it didn't happen the way the son-in-law/granny/media reported it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Rule #1: Don't **** with Pensioners. :pac:

What the hell was her son in law doing about the situation?

I fail to see any connection with the son in law

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Is that David McWilliams thats about to jump ?

Pointing out targets?.

He probably supplied her with the gun.

The son in law was 200 miles away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

karlog wrote: »
    Well at least the Granny wasn't charged. That's justice, something that rarely happens over here. Maybe the yanks aren't as stupid as they say.

I wouldn't call that justice. She shot a kid. She could have killed or paralysed him. Now before everyone picks up their torches and pitch-forks and starts screaming "hang the liberal pinko ******!" I want to emphasise that the kid is obviously a scumbag who deserves to be caned repeatedly in public and then put in some kind of reform centre for a while (although I'm wondering if those places make kids worse than what they were).

But this kind of mob-like cheering for shooting someone is very sinister and very disturbing. Not long ago in Ohio a bunch of 14 year-old kids were throwing eggs at cars, as young punks do at that age. One guy, whose SUV took an egg to the side, turned around, returned, got out of his vehicle brandishing a revolver and started firing at the fleeing kids. He hit AND KILLED one of them. There were many people who cheered for this type of response.
    It's becoming more and more accepted to take someone's life, or to at least deliver upon them a shocking level of violence, for the slightest infraction. And people have become so paranoid, so fearful and so gutless that they huddle together and scream "yeah! shoot the bastard. He deserved it."
    This kid deserved some kind of punishment and I don't know what it is. Personally I would have battered him. But I'm a young man. This lady is an oul dear. Somebody should have been around to help her (son-in-law?).
    Sure, she was at her wit's end with these **** terrorising her but letting her off with no punishment for shooting this kid sends a very dangerous message. Next you'll have someone pulling out a gun and wasting a kid for robbing apples from his orchard and he'll truly expect to get away with it and probably will ("it was an ongoing campaign of terror, your honour!").
    Sorry, but this sets a bad precedent.

This is nuts, she should be locked up for this. She shot at kids with a handgun. This is beyond reckless endangerment and is just typical of gun culture in america. It's like Padraig Nally all over again, you can't call him an out and out hero even if you do feel for the situation because himself and this Granny escalated the situation too far.

What's typical of gun culture in many parts of America are gun-toting inner-city 16-year olds who terrorize entire neighborhoods. Like I said before, given where this took place, she's lucky the kid didn't shoot back.

What would YOU have done if you were in her situation?
    This kid deserved some kind of punishment and I don't know what it is. Personally I would have battered him. But I'm a young man. This lady is an oul dear. Somebody should have been around to help her (son-in-law?).

Sure, she was at her wit's end with these **** terrorising her but letting her off with no punishment for shooting this kid sends a very dangerous message. Next you'll have someone pulling out a gun and wasting a kid for robbing apples from his orchard and he'll truly expect to get away with it and probably will ("it was an ongoing campaign of terror, your honour!").

Sorry, but this sets a bad precedent.

She went to the police. The parents were MIA. They broke out her windows multiple times, and threw rocks at her when she was on her own porch. Again, what was she supposed to do?

Unless police and parents start taking this kind of stuff seriously, more and more people are going to take the law into their own hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The shooting's not the important issue here, her use of the English language is.

She should get death by lethal injection for coming out with "I done had enough".:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The pensioner should be prosecuted exaclty as if she were a 32 year old male.

The kids should be removed from their parents for six months and do community work.

The parents should have any tax reliefs and or benefits they get from having the children removed, and should be prosecuted with neglect of children, failure to control them, reckless endangerment of the community etc.

People, regardless of who they are, have to be made, and be seen to be made, responsible for their actions/inactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The shooting's not the important issue here, her use of the English language is.

She should get death by lethal injection for coming out with "I done had enough".:(

Her's is a dialect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

She only got away with it because she was a burd. I bet a male oap would be done for everything under the book. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I would not have pulled the gun in this situation and even if I was forced to do so I seriously doubt whether I would aim any where near the kid without a shot at the ground to try frighten him first and gauge the situation farther. I've been to Chicago and know that the south-side is rougher than Southill or Moyross a hundredfold but still it's stupid flash decisions like this that make things worse.

The pensioner should be prosecuted exaclty as if she were a 32 year old male.

The kids should be removed from their parents for six months and do community work.

The parents should have any tax reliefs and or benefits they get from having the children removed, and should be prosecuted with neglect of children, failure to control them, reckless endangerment of the community etc.

People, regardless of who they are, have to be made, and be seen to be made, responsible for their actions/inactions.

It's less likely that the police would think that a 32 year old male would feel the need to defend themselves from a 12 year old with a gun.

Personally if I were her, I would have shot at them with a paint gun; that way you can both get rid of them and they would have to explain to their mom why they were covered in hot pink and neon orange blotches. It's a win-win situation. :D

I doubt it would matter if child services got involved; the parents probably have four other little ****ers who will take their brother's place in no time.
    I would not have pulled the gun in this situation and even if I was forced to do so I seriously doubt whether I would aim any where near the kid without a shot at the ground to try frighten him first and gauge the situation farther. I've been to Chicago and know that the south-side is rougher than Southill or Moyross a hundredfold but still it's stupid flash decisions like this that make things worse.

She said she was just trying to scare them, not shoot them.

Honestly, there are some parts of the south side that could not possibly get any worse. If the neighbors feel like they need to resort to vigilantism, more power to them.

What we should do is bring back the stockade in every town and village throughout Ireland :D

All the times these kids get away with mindless vandalism etc etc. If they get caught throwing stones at old folks or breaking windows, a judge should be allowed to sentance them to 6 hours in the stocks in full public view where everyone can see them. Might embarrass them into thinking in the future. A nice statement reading young John here terrorized a 67 year old for 3 months by breaking her windows on weekends etc. Oh and if the kid is too young to be put in, put their parent in if they are repeat offenders. You'd be damn sure they'll give the child a kick up the arse at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

What's typical of gun culture in many parts of America are gun-toting inner-city 16-year olds who terrorize entire neighborhoods. Like I said before, given where this took place, she's lucky the kid didn't shoot back.

She went to the police. The parents were MIA. They broke out her windows multiple times, and threw rocks at her when she was on her own porch. Again, what was she supposed to do?

Unless police and parents start taking this kind of stuff seriously, more and more people are going to take the law into their own hands.

Excuse me, but this is reality. You know..REAL LIFE. It's not a movie. I don't know what she was supposed to do but it's ILLEGAL to shoot somebody under ANY circumstances unless your life is in jeopardy or you seriously believe it to be in jeopardy. That's not me...that's the LAW.
    Following your logic, I could pull out a gun and shoot someone because over the course of many months or years they have made my life miserable by playing loud music at all hours of the day and night and have called me disgusting names every day that they have seen me. I reported them to the police. I told their parents. Nobody did anything so I took the law into my own hands and whacked them.
    Nobody's disputing that the kid is a bastard (if the media reports are true) but this casual condoning of shooting someone because they're pissing you off is simply beyond the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Her's is a dialect.

Death by lethal injection is still looking good.:P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

I once had a Frenchie Johnson with two strippers in a jacuzzi. Good times.

Advertisement