Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2011 - Roads thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Of the €4.3m announced for Galway City Council around €4m is for CYCLE lanes and more Pedestrian lights between the Headford and Tuam roads along Bóthar na dTreabh with attendant traffic jams on this busy stretch. The other €300k is for landscaping a few more roundabouts including Ballybrit.

They got as much for their entire maintenance requirements as they will get for dollying up roundabouts, around €300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Guess N5 Ballaghaderreen bypass is off the agenda so, Cowen was promising this would begin in 2011 a few months back.
    Cowen promised alot of things in his time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Of the €4.3m announced for Galway City Council around €4m is for CYCLE lanes and more Pedestrian lights between the Headford and Tuam roads along Bóthar na dTreabh with attendant traffic jams on this busy stretch. The other €300k is for landscaping a few more roundabouts including Ballybrit.

They got as much for their entire maintenance requirements as they will get for dollying up roundabouts, around €300k.

I don't think Galway corporation know what a "pedestrian bridge" is. As there are no entrances onto Bóthar na dTreabh between Headford road/Tuam road (apart from 1 housing estate beside tuam rd roundabout) why do they need to put pedestrian crossings here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

dubhthach wrote: »
    I don't think Galway corporation know what a "pedestrian bridge" is. As there are no entrances onto Bóthar na dTreabh between Headford road/Tuam road (apart from 1 housing estate beside tuam rd roundabout) why do they need to put pedestrian crossings here?

Landscaping??? :mad:

Is the DoT for real - each local authority should be granted taxpayers' money on the grounds of necessary maintenance and improvements to the road network - this includes footpaths and lighting. Traffic lights, right filter lanes and necessary short sections of link roads would also be on my shopping list if I was the Transport Minister.

Time to cut the bull - no more fancy paving projects or elaborate traffic calming schemes - just do the maintenance - there are many potholes in dire need of attention as well as crumbling footpaths - oh, and there's the lighting aspect (or lack of)! :mad:

Regards!

I honestly don't know what they propose to do, by the way I was initially mistaken in that Bóthar na dTreabh is apparently the entire stretch from Briarhill Roundabout to Sandyvale Roundabout ( I said it was the Sandyvale - Tuam road section only) .

There are a few spots along there where crossings are needed but christ knows how they intend to provide for Cycle Lanes , esp east of the Tuam Road.

• Advertisement

Carey never mentioned this one at all, maybe because it is in design not construction for 2011

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JAN195759

The Contract comprises the design, execution and completion of the N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad Road Improvement Scheme, including without limitation the provision of:
    - Approximately 5.6 kilometres of standard single carriageway national secondary road;
    - Approximately 2.0 kilometres of various single carriageway local road realignments;

Scheduled date for start of award procedures and duration of the contract

Scheduled date for start of award procedures: 30-04-2011
    scheduled date for start of works: 30-09-2011completion of works: 30-01-2013

Never mentioned this scheme either

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JAN194635
    The N59 Westport to Mulranny - N59 Kilbride (2.8km) Section Road Project is an early construction phase of the N59 Westport to Mulranny Road Project and extends from the southern speed limit signs of Newport Town in Carrowbaun Townland to Shandrum Townland.
    This is mainly an online road improvement with approximately 850 metres of offline realignment. It will comprise a ‘Type 3 Single Carriageway’ road to NRA DMRB Interim Advice Note 01/09 (IAN 01/09) and will be approximately 2.8km in length.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Think I heard the N59 is being funded from some separate Tourism route scheme, cycleway being built along side some parts to join the Westport-Achil greenway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tremelo wrote: »
    I'm going to predict a start on the Dunkettle Interchange in Q4 2012, assuming the EIS is approved, as expected, by Q2 2012.
    Good point, and rightly so.
    It's also looking like Ballaghdereen and Slane will happen in 2012 too.
    if you google "Longford by pass" its the first link.
    Its a wonder our national papers cant use such a simple search tool!!
    And its no wonder that print media is suffering declining sales when what they often print is factually incorrect.
    Technically that's west of the town ~0)

However they also said N11, it's motorway.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Of the €4.3m announced for Galway City Council around €4m is for CYCLE lanes and more Pedestrian lights between the Headford and Tuam roads along Bóthar na dTreabh with attendant traffic jams on this busy stretch.
    Not a cyclist I see. What's wrong with CYCLE lanes and pedestrian crossings? They need investment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

spacetweek wrote: »
    Good point, and rightly so.
    It's also looking like Ballaghdereen and Slane will happen in 2012 too.

Technically that's west of the town ~0)

However they also said N11, it's motorway.

Not a cyclist I see. What's wrong with CYCLE lanes and pedestrian crossings? They need investment too.

The thing is that there are already "cycle lanes" alongside Bóthar na dTreabh see here. As for pedestrian crossing there is absolutely no need to put one on this stretch of road as it goes through green fields and there are no entrances on the road. If they must insist it should at least be a pedestrian bridge

• Advertisement
Advertisement