Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas fine

Options
  • 30-09-2010 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey just posting up this question to see if there are any suggestions. I am a student and I buy the monthly bus/luas tickets, I have been doing this for a year and I have had no trouble until today I was asked for a student travel card. I got the fine but the inspector said that if I did have one to ring up the luas number and site the number on the card to verify that I have one. At the moment I am thinking what If I just pick one up tomorrow and call, or is it branded the day I get it on a database or something along those lines.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

meh, it's alright, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

That's such a asshole thing to do! You have your valid ticket, you paid to get the transport! I would have just gave a fake name and address! Don't pay it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Goldenegg wrote: »
    That's such a asshole thing to do! You have your valid ticket, you paid to get the transport! I would have just gave a fake name and address! Don't pay it!

Incorrect, the ticket isn't valid without a student travel card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Do the inspectors not have some way of verifing you're identity before they issue the fine though?

Otherwise everybody could just give false details and no one would ever pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Buying tickets is for knobs. I just ignore the inspectors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

McDougal wrote: »
    Buying tickets is for knobs. I just ignore the inspectors

No. Buying a ticket is for normal folk.

Not buying a ticket is for cheap feckers who intent to freeload their entire KNOB life. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

gsxr1 wrote: »
    No. Buying a ticket is for normal folk.

Not buying a ticket is for cheap feckers who intent to freeload their entire KNOB life. ;)

No, buying tickets is for people who enjoy being raped. Public transport should be free. 50billion will go into NAMA to bailout backers yet you think I'm a freeloader because I won't pay for the luas? You're a pathetic peasant. The luas and dublin bus should be funded by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

No, buying tickets is for people who enjoy being raped. Public transport should be free. 50billion will go into NAMA to bailout backers yet you think I'm a freeloader because I won't pay for the luas? You're a pathetic peasant. The luas and dublin bus should be funded by the state.

A point for another topic to be honest. The ticket is invalid without a current student card.

OP, the student travelcard has the date you got it printed on it, or the expiry date anyways, so the issue date is 1 year before that. You could be caught out, there must be some way for the Luas folk to check validity of cards otherwise you could call up and quote any old number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭h8scobes

lol i took the dart to and from school for 6 years and must have raked up over 50 fines in that time and never paid any of them. was never chased for them either. perhaps the inspector feared what would result from fining a boy in michaels :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

h8scobes wrote: »
    lol i took the dart to and from school for 6 years and must have raked up over 50 fines in that time and never paid any of them. was never chased for them either. perhaps the inspector feared what would result from fining a boy in michaels :)
    Oh hai d10carter, is it getting cold under that bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A point for another topic to be honest. The ticket is invalid without a current student card.

OP, the student travelcard has the date you got it printed on it, or the expiry date anyways, so the issue date is 1 year before that. You could be caught out, there must be some way for the Luas folk to check validity of cards otherwise you could call up and quote any old number.

It will have the end of this year as an expiry, so he should be able to get it fine, or simply lie and say it wasn't him. I'd just walk off the dart, what will he do, restrain me?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Hey just posting up this question to see if there are any suggestions. I am a student and I buy the monthly bus/luas tickets, I have been doing this for a year and I have had no trouble until today I was asked for a student travel card. I got the fine but the inspector said that if I did have one to ring up the luas number and site the number on the card to verify that I have one. At the moment I am thinking what If I just pick one up tomorrow and call, or is it branded the day I get it on a database or something along those lines.

Act like a 1st yr and say ya didnt know, thinking your college ID was enough. Better yet get a country lad from Kerry/Cavan/Meath/Louth with a thick accent to ring up saying it's my 1st time away from home and mammy said to do this, and make sure he throws in about how much ya miss home and the hang-sambo with tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

You get the student card and it lasts you til Dec next year if you get it in college. so you get it for 15 months really. Not bad for 15e, also you can get cheaper trains with it (sometimes). He cannot prove when you got it, that is not printed on it!

It is wrong though you should have to pay for a card! You are giving on by college so that should suffice!:mad:

My ex and I get the Luas all the time with our son. I refuse to pay on political grounds! Were on one day and a ticket fella came round, we took 5e out of our pockets and when he came over my ex said, "Two to Heuston please" He was wearing a Clare jersey, with his Munster accent. We got away with it too, yer man explained we had to get off and pay at the next stop, so we alighted, waited for the next Luas and hopped on! :D Now I don't used the Luas as the 145 brings me from my house to there. But I am conflicted on the new green line extention from my house to town :confused: should I use it and pay, or just get the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> Commuting & Transport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I refuse to pay on political grounds!
    :eek::confused: You don't pay on political grounds? I must use that one the next time I go to a restaurant or to a pub or everywhere I have to pay to use a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

axer wrote: »
    :eek::confused: You don't pay on political grounds? I must use that one the next time I go to a restaurant or to a pub or everywhere I have to pay to use a service.

The company that runs the Luas is connected to Israel. I am one of those that are boycotting ALL Israeli products, but that is not for this thread :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The company that runs the Luas is connected to Israel. I am one of those that are boycotting ALL Israeli products, but that is not for this thread :)

So don't use it then rather than not paying for it. Would you think it acceptable to shoplift an item just because it's made/grown in Israel?

As for the OP, pay your fine. You were caught, do the mature thing and pay it instead of trying to scheme your way out of it. People like you are why we are in the situation we are in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

but you used their service? :confused: Surely if you were boycotting them you wouldn't use their service - otherwise you are not boycotting you are just stealing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:rolleyes:
    another smart student in our smart economy who did not even understand the basic concepts of public transport ticketing (or deliberatly tried to ignore them).

you got caught, pay the fine and get a card.

they are funded by the state and if people like you refuse to buy tickets and fare evade then all of us have to pay more to support services, even if we don't use them. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The company that runs the Luas is connected to Israel.

Not just "connected to Israel", but it is involved in a light rail system in Occupied East Jerusalem which is breaking international law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I bet you'd complain like feck if they raised the taxes to pay for it wouldn't you? Or maybe you aren't a tax payer...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You get the student card and it lasts you til Dec next year if you get it in college. so you get it for 15 months really. Not bad for 15e, also you can get cheaper trains with it (sometimes). He cannot prove when you got it, that is not printed on it!

It is wrong though you should have to pay for a card! You are giving on by college so that should suffice!:mad:

My ex and I get the Luas all the time with our son. I refuse to pay on political grounds! Were on one day and a ticket fella came round, we took 5e out of our pockets and when he came over my ex said, "Two to Heuston please" He was wearing a Clare jersey, with his Munster accent. We got away with it too, yer man explained we had to get off and pay at the next stop, so we alighted, waited for the next Luas and hopped on! :D Now I don't used the Luas as the 145 brings me from my house to there. But I am conflicted on the new green line extention from my house to town :confused: should I use it and pay, or just get the bus.

Great example to set your son, you must be so proud. Your son is bound to turn into a fine upstanding citizen.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Not just "connected to Israel", but it is involved in a light rail system in Occupied East Jerusalem which is breaking international law.

how is the light rail system breaking international law?

but the Luas is not an Isreali product:confused:
    by your logic you shouldn't be travelling on public ground as the Irish gov has diplomatic link to Israel too.

Such a childish viewpoint, and at the end of the day it's nothing more than fare evasion however you try to justify it to yourself, you sicken me.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

By your logic (:rolleyes: ) you shouldn't be travelling on public ground as the Irish gov has diplomatic link to Israel too

Hmmm Logic Jim,but not as we know it....I wonder if this individual is a Dalkey Resident ? :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Hmmm Logic Jim,but not as we know it....I wonder if this individual is a Dalkey Resident ? :D

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Such a childish viewpoint, and at the end of the day it's nothing more than fare evasion however you try to justify it to yourself, you sicken me

Ah Cookie,my oul Monster,don`t let them break you down..:)

I do hope however that wolfpawnat`s colourful description of their highly charged political focus helps you to understand what Front Line Public Transport staff are encountering every working day...:rolleyes:

If anybody happened to be out`n about the Belfield Entrance of UCD last night they might have had a wide-screen dolby surround-sound opportunity to experience wolfpawnat`ism in full technicolour as the booze sodden Lads and Ladette`s (Yahoo,ya boy ya!..anybody for The Fields of Athenry ?) strutted their Knowledge Based Stuff whilst attempting to get a Bus into The City to find another wall to pyss up against.

This State is rapidly,and thats a very rapid Rapidly,descending into social turmoil as the ever decreasing numbers of those with the Work-Ethic struggle on with a big fat ever increasing burden of highly motivated,politically sassy,knowledge filled activists who know :eek: EVERYTHING :eek: about their entitlements and sweet shagg all about responsibilities or the awful notion that they, at some point,might be required to contribute something to the greater good....:o

Great Balls of Fire,just take a moment to review some of the RPU,Free Pass,Fare Payment posts over the past few weeks......Nobody appears to have the remotest concept of the notion of paying the correct fare for a journey or of understanding the implications of being caught if you decide to chance it coz they did`nt know,were only a student,did`nt read the instructions on the box etc etc.....

Mods.....When are we going to get a Headbanging against the Wall smiley ...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

how is the light rail system breaking international law?

Because it is being used to connect illegal settlements that are built on occupied territory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This is not the politics forum, please drop the discussion re: Israel.

The analogy has been made.

Advertisement