Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This just takes the biscuit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Personally, I'd sooner have someone teaching who knows the subject they're teaching rather than someone who's a qualified teacher but doesn't actually know their subject.
    As a maths teacher, I can assure those of you who don't already know that a very large number of maths teachers aren't maths teachers at all. They're science teachers and commerce teachers and less frequently teachers of other subjects who did maths for a year at university and might not even have done honour maths themselves in school.
    I'm sure the same is true in other subjects too. I know I've taught physics even though I didn't do leaving cert physics because the school didn't have a better option. It was difficult for me and I'm sure the students would have been better off with someone who knew the subject well.

Typical of this country, everyone is worrying about themselves first rather than what their role is. We're teachers. We're supposed to be able to effectively pass our knowledge on to our students. You can argue that someone who hasn't trained as a teacher won't be as effective as someone who is. All other things being equal, you're right. However, a person who is fully qualified in the subject they're teaching but has no teaching training will be more effective teaching the subject (the majority of the time) than someone who doesn't understand what they're teaching.

Advertisement