Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let's have a HUGE party in 2012!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭corglass

OP, I think it's the single best idea I ever saw on boards.ie. Infact I'd be willing to help set it up. PM if you want, I think the idea wil gather momentum after awhile and there'll be no stopping it!

Seriously, let's get this kicked off!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭WillyWaggler

Yeah thanks I pulled it back nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

corglass wrote: »
    OP, I think it's the single best idea I ever saw on boards.ie. Infact I'd be willing to help set it up. PM if you want, I think the idea wil gather momentum after awhile and there'll be no stopping it!

If you keep taking all the yolks there will be none left for the party

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i think a boardsie party would be like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It ain't gonna happen. At least not in some, "Oh let's just have a big party" way.

If it were to work, it would have to be a commercial venture & would therefor just be another festival.

• Advertisement

It ain't gonna happen. At least not in some, "Oh let's just have a big party" way.

If it were to work, it would have to be a commercial venture & would therefor just be another festival.

I completely agree, of course you'd need a commercial element. I mean the crowd control, medics, insurance etc etc etc.

That doesn't take from the genius of the idea. I mean, it would finally be a world FIRST for Ireland. The first county to have a 'coming home' party of sorts.

The venues could be spread across the country to help with crowd control and spread the wealth. (economically, socially etc.)
    Imagine 40 or so separate events across this island, music, dance, food festival, traders and so on. All in a single week of excitement and craic.

I really don't see any downsides. The positives far outweigh the negatives in any case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭silkfield

Star Bingo wrote: »
    i think a boardsie party would be like this

What is that old geezer in the jumper doing in that nightclub? Yeah I think it'll be something like that only more leprechaun suits!

I completely agree, of course you'd need a commercial element. I mean the crowd control, medics, insurance etc etc etc.

That doesn't take from the genius of the idea. I mean, it would finally be a world FIRST for Ireland. The first county to have a 'coming home' party of sorts.

The venues could be spread across the country to help with crowd control and spread the wealth. (economically, socially etc.)
    Imagine 40 or so separate events across this island, music, dance, food festival, traders and so on. All in a single week of excitement and craic.

I really don't see any downsides. The positives far outweigh the negatives in any case!

Hey we can work out the details later, right now we just need people's support and ideas I think. And yeah, there's no downsides!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Downsides;

- It will bring about blatant opportunism from hotels & airlines who'll bump up their prices.

- The chances of getting planning permission from 26 different counties for events around the country at the same weekend would be nigh on impossible.

- We don't have a public transport infrastructure to handle the numbers.

- You'd be hard pushed to get the sponsorship.

- There are already a glut of festivals around the country - most of which never reach capacity.

silkfield wrote: »
    Hey we can work out the details later, right now we just need people's support and ideas I think. And yeah, there's no downsides!!

I'll make sandwiches

• Advertisement

Downsides;

- It will bring about blatant opportunism from hotels & airlines who'll bump up their prices.

- The chances of getting planning permission from 26 different counties for events around the country at the same weekend would be nigh on impossible.

- There are already a glut of festivals around the country - most of which never reach capacity.

No deal-breakers there that I can see..:p

Downsides;

Firstly, this would be on an unprecedented scale so I'd imagine more focus would be place on it. The media would suck this kinda stuff up and be a major driving force behind it. Plus 2012 would give everyone plenty of time to get their act together.

We need to get some faces/voices onto the like of the late-late, today fm, newstalk etc. Get a committee formed! Get this show on the road!

Firstly, this would be on an unprecedented scale so I'd imagine more focus would be place on it. The media would suck this kinda stuff up and be a major driving force behind it. Plus 2012 would give everyone plenty of time to get their act together.

We need to get some faces/voices onto the like of the late-late, today fm, newstalk etc. Get a committee formed! Get this show on the road!

Yeah great! We need to spread the word. I still think we need more numbers on the FB page. What do you think? I suppose we can email the radios anyway, huh?

Sponsors: Diageo? Aer Lingus? Ryan Air? Bord Failte? How about Google? Anyone know people in these companies? Can you think of any other company?

Yeah great! We need to spread the word. I still think we need more numbers on the FB page. What do you think? I suppose we can email the radios anyway, huh?

Sponsors: Diageo? Aer Lingus? Ryan Air? Bord Failte? How about Google? Anyone know people in these companies? Can you think of any other company?

See you are already making your first mistake. I one of the little people offered to make sandwiches and you didn't even say Thanks. If I offered to put you in contact with my contacts in Aer Lingus you would have said Thanks.

I am out.

And I am not making sandwiches.:mad:

Kasabian wrote: »
    See you are already making your first mistake. I one of the little people offered to make sandwiches and you didn't even say Thanks. If I offered to put you in contact with my contacts in Aer Lingus you would have said Thanks.

I am out.

And I am not making sandwiches.:mad:

Aww, I'm sorry Kasabian. Please will you make the sandwiches???? :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: I thought you were messing!

Aww, I'm sorry Kasabian. Please will you make the sandwiches???? :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: I thought you were messing!

OK so but I'll need a bigger kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm proposing a massive national festival in Summer 2012 and invite all the Irish abroad to come home for it. There's around 80 million of them or so out there and it's about time they came back to the auld sod and paid us a visit!!

Oh fecking brilliant. Now we know how the world is going to end in 2012. It's not massive sun spot storms, definitely not a meteor, the Yellowstone super volcano erupting or a polar shift.

It's the influx of 80 million bloody Paddys, most of them obese Paddyanks, suddenly landing on our 27,135 square miles of a wee island and tipping it over, causing a tsunami that floods most of the world except for Antartica. :D

Oh fecking brilliant. Now we know how the world is going to end in 2012. It's not massive sun spot storms, definitely not a meteor, the Yellowstone super volcano erupting or a polar shift.

It's the influx of 80 million bloody Paddys, most of them obese Paddyanks, suddenly landing on our 27,135 square miles of a wee island and tipping it over, causing a tsunami that floods most of the world except for Antartica. :D

HAHA. Yep, the green plague. Top of the mornin' to ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Ireland needs a major shot-in-the-arm at the moment and this could be the answer..

I'm proposing a massive national festival in Summer 2012 and invite all the Irish abroad to come home for it. There's around 80 million of them or so out there and it's about time they came back to the auld sod and paid us a visit!!

I'm calling it "Feile Glas" (Green Festival), and I reckon it could save jobs, create jobs, bring money into the country, create international networking opportunities, and well, CHEER US UP, FFS! :D

I have a Facebook group set up and need people to go and join it and make this happen. C'mon it won't even cost you anything (except the electricity of a mouse-click), let's have a HUGE party and er, save the country too..

<facegroup link snipped by evil biko>

Thanks guys. While you're at it, get involved on the Facebook wall and put up some of your ideas..

CANT BE A BAD IDEA!

Kasabian wrote: »
    OK so but I'll need a bigger kitchen.

I can let you have several ghost kitchens for a song, literally.

• Advertisement

How's about a verse of "Four Green Fields"

What did I have, said the fine old woman
    What did I have, this proud old woman did say
    I had four green fields, each one was a jewel
    But strangers came and tried to take them from me
    I had fine strong sons, who fought to save my jewels
    They fought and they died, and that was my grief said she

Always good for a session.

There's ghost kitchens too? Are there any ghost toilets? ;)

This town
    Is going like a ghost town.

All the clubs are being closed down.

This Place
    Is coming like a ghost town.

Bands won't play no more,
    To much fighting on the dance floor.

Do you remember the good old days before the ghost town?
    We danced and sang as the music played in any boomtown.

This town is going like a ghost town.
    Why must the youth fight against themselves?
    Government leaving the youth on the shelf.

This place is coming like a ghost town.
    No job to be found in this country.
    Can't go on no more.
    People getting angry.

This town
    Is going like a ghost town.

All the clubs are being closed down.

This Place
    Is coming like a ghost town.

Bands won't play no more,
    To much fighting on the dance floor.

Do you remember the good old days before the ghost town?
    We danced and sang as the music played in any boomtown.

This town is going like a ghost town.
    Why must the youth fight against themselves?
    Government leaving the youth on the shelf.

This place is coming like a ghost town.
    No job to be found in this country.
    Can't go on no more.
    People getting angry.

Are you in on the Kitchen deal too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Well we are gonna qualify for Euro 2012 so there will be a huge party anyhow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

There's ghost kitchens too? Are there any ghost toilets? ;)

No, but there's ghosts in your clothes!!!!

Better take them off quick!

Here's my original proposal for the festival which I entered in the Your Country, your Call competition:
    http://www.feileglas.com/proposal.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its a great idea.

would it be possible to make it in the spring or autumn? Airfares at peak holiday times will put a lot off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Here's my original proposal for the festival which I entered in the Your Country, your Call competition:

Nice presentation. Best of luck. .

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, why Feileglas/Green Festival. It immediately brings to mind recycling and taxes on everything. Not good.

Advertisement