Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you walk your dog?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My guy's about five and a half months old. He's about 15 kgs. He will probably top 30kgs when fully grown. Based on this he's a medium to large breed and I need to be gentle with his exercise for his joints and bones.

He gets about 30 minutes walking four out of seven days a week; the other three days he gets a lot of activity playing in our yard - free running and playing with a ball. I also do a brain-training session with him daily. When I get home from work we usually spend about half an hour on various activities - sit, stay, lie down; find the treat (under a cup, in a bowl with a towel over it, so on, so forth).

When he's full grown he'll get a walk a day plus a game session in the yard a day. When he's older and able for it I'll look into agility with him if he's up for it. He's quite biddable and enjoys company, be it games, walks or training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Still a puppy (16wks)
    Normally 2/3 times a day

Morning: 10min walk around estate

Afternoon: 10mins same as morning

Evening: 30/40min walk in local park/woods

He's in a fairly big garden all day and seems happy out. I used to bring him to park/woods twice a day but trainer said this was too much for his age and could damage his joints and affect him a few years down the line so cut it back a little even though he loves been out

Depends on breed also, collie like mine is very active and needs more exercise than say a greyhound although if a dog is left indoors during day or in a small/confined space they need good exercise even if just to be socialized

Somehow I don't think you'll hear much from people who DON'T walk their dogs much!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

one long walk a day sometimes two at weekends but tbh some times he wont get up for a second walk if the first one is long enough witch it usually is! xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

sophie1234 wrote: »
    one long walk a day sometimes two at weekends but tbh some times he wont get up for a second walk if the first one is long enough witch it usually is! xx

I have never ever managed to walk my dogs long enough for them not to want another walk. Yesterday for example, my little one did a 2 hour agility class, we stayed then for an hour socilisation/playtime, I got her home and she hopped out of the car picked up her lead and ran around the field. She was then happy for the evening walk with the rest of the dogs, plus terrier playtime on the green :rolleyes:

I cannot wear this dog out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

I have never ever managed to walk my dogs long enough for them not to want another walk. Yesterday for example, my little one did a 2 hour agility class, we stayed then for an hour socilisation/playtime, I got her home and she hopped out of the car picked up her lead and ran around the field. She was then happy for the evening walk with the rest of the dogs, plus terrier playtime on the green :rolleyes:

I cannot wear this dog out :D

sometimes mine is like that but whens hes out he uses so much energy when i get him home hes just zonked out on the sofa or in bed! some times he doesnt even want to go to the garden after! but i do bring him on two walks sometimes when i see he needs a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

My guy gets out twice a day, maybe a third somedays but not too often, if the weather is terrible it might only be once. The walk is about 3k, and I let him run off the lead for a good part of it.. He's a medium sized dog, I hope that this is enough, but he is starting to put on weight!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

My lady gets walked (no lead) for at least an hour every evening rain, hail or snow..Walks have slowed down considerably due to ageing joints and she is outdoors 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

At least 1 decent walk , and normaly one quicki around the block , plus a few 15 min pee/poop strolls up the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

Really do try 20-30 mins a day for 5 month old springer. Feeling guilty though, as pup arrived just as I got a job :(

Really can't give up work at the mo and puppy is in the garden from 8-3pm, 3x a week........feel really guilty. Have bought Kong toys/boiling bones the night before (stinks!).......but still feel like I'm abandoning her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

30 minutes a day in the park for the big fella, a little ramble around the field for the little one. She had a few back issues a while ago and since then isn't up to big walks, so she kind of dictates how far we go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

walk 6 month old lab twice a day. around 6am in the morn gets 20-30mins. Up to few weeks ago when it was bright used to go over to park and chase a ball and run around and now its dark a walk on lead. Dont trust her off the lead in the dark. and then 30 min walk in the evening. At weekend will try take her to a very quiet park where theres no one and let her run around. sometimes she doesnt get a walk for a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

4 year old Jack Russell who hates walking. I have biceps from having to drag him. He's seriously overweight, I don't know what to do with him. I end up having to carry him a little bit some days.

My collie loved walking. Generally me and him would do 45 minutes alternating between running and walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Usually twice a day. Once in the morning to get her to pee her heart out (Otherwise she holds it in all day while I'm not there bless her little will power), and a good long walk in the evening in our local park with plenty of chasing the ball to tire her out. Rain, wind, doesn't matter, she takes priority over getting wet a little.

Advertisement