Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UN to appoint Earth contact for aliens

Options
  • 26-09-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

It would appear the the UN are planning to introduce the masses to our little alien friends or more likely our enemies, who in my opinion have been here for a long time already. They'll probably use this obvious imminent contact to forge their one world government.

Tada

THE United Nations was set today to appoint an obscure Malaysian astrophysicist to act as Earth’s first contact for any aliens that may come visiting.

Mazlan Othman, the head of the UN's little-known Office for Outer Space Affairs (Unoosa), is to describe her potential new role next week at a scientific conference at the Royal Society’s Kavli conference centre in Buckinghamshire.

She is scheduled to tell delegates that the recent discovery of hundreds of planets around other stars has made the detection of extraterrestrial life more likely than ever before - and that means the UN must be ready to coordinate humanity’s response to any “first contact”.

During a talk Othman gave recently to fellow scientists, she said: “The continued search for extraterrestrial communication, by several entities, sustains the hope that some day humankind will receive signals from extraterrestrials.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"When we do, we should have in place a coordinated response that takes into account all the sensitivities related to the subject. The UN is a ready-made mechanism for such coordination.”

Professor Richard Crowther, an expert in space law and governance at the UK Space Agency and who leads British delegations to the UN on such matters, said: “Othman is absolutely the nearest thing we have to a ‘take me to your leader’ person.”

However, he thinks humanity’s first encounter with any intelligent aliens is more likely to be via radio or light signals from a distant planet than by beings arriving on Earth. And, he suggests, even if we do encounter aliens in the flesh, they are more likely to be microbes than anything intelligent.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/un-to-appoint-earth-contact-for-aliens/story-e6freuyi-1225929498742

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I for one welcome our new sidebar overlords =p

Suppose it's only right that someone be appointed.. though it seems odd that they've left it so long without appointing anyone. I mean what has changed in the last 5, 10 or 20 years to make them take this decision now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Could you clarify the CT Talkie?

Is this misinformation to cover up that we have had contact with them already or is this a step to show us preparing for alien contact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

A cover up of previous contact, preparation for contact, preparation for false flag event. Take your pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's funny because we'll never know if it was a good decision until after we meet the aliens and if they do/ do not kill us all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

TalkieWalkie, as of late you've made a habit of posting articles but include no discussion of your own, or your viewpoint. This is against the charter:

This is not your personal blog. If you're not interested in discussing what it is that you post, then you probably shouldn't be posting it.

So please clarify what you believe to be the CT at play here.

• Advertisement

A cover up of previous contact, preparation for contact, preparation for false flag event. Take your pick
    Take your pick from the charter man
    Please make sure that threads have a clear forum-relevant angle. If the moderators feel there isn't one, they may ask for it to be clarified, as to understand what direction the thread should go.
    This is not your personal blog. If you're not interested in discussing what it is that you post, then you probably shouldn't be posting it.

So what do you want us to discuss,ill let you pick from your own jumping off points if you like

yekahs wrote: »
    TalkieWalkie, as of late you've made a habit of posting articles but include no discussion of your own, or your viewpoint. This is against the charter:

So please clarify what you believe to be the CT at play here.
    yekahs i only saw this after i posted you can remove my post if you like

And here is one for you..
    Don't back seat moderate

Imagine a game of soccer where one player kept running up to the ref and saying "you should have warned that guy" "that was offside" "time is up on this game". Annoying, yes? Sitting back as a user and consistently directing the moderator like a minion is going to get you kicked off the pitch. The correct way to bring something to our attention is to report the post.

Editing op now.

seannash wrote: »
    yekahs i only saw this after i posted you can remove my post if you like

Report a post if you have a problem with it, don't backseat mod.

Report a post if you have a problem with it, don't backseat mod.
    Cool i was only asking for him to clarify and used the rules as part of my reasoning.

My mistake,i didnt think i overstepped the line
    sorry for the rule break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Suppose it's only right that someone be appointed.. though it seems odd that they've left it so long without appointing anyone. I mean what has changed in the last 5, 10 or 20 years to make them take this decision now?

I presume the number of planets / candidate planets discovered by Kepler has prompted this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wow cool :)

He does look like a bit of an alien actually:

Mazlan_Othman_20090519.jpg

I hope he speaks Klingon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

He will look even more suprised when he finds out he is a woman :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Eh, did you read the article?

''She is scheduled to tell delegates that the recent discovery of hundreds of planets around other stars has made the detection of extraterrestrial life more likely than ever before''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

''She is scheduled to tell delegates that the recent discovery of hundreds of planets around other stars has made the detection of extraterrestrial life more likely than ever before''

Or maybe they've already detected it and have decided to prepare the world in stages.With the massive increase of UFO sightings making mainstream media these days ,the china ufo and the sightings in brasil ,maybe this is the first step to opening up to something that man has only guessed about for decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Or maybe they've already detected it and have decided to prepare the world in stages.With the massive increase of UFO sightings making mainstream media these days ,the china ufo and the sightings in brasil ,maybe this is the first step to opening up to something that man has only guessed about for decades!
    Or maybe the increase in sightings has directly tied into the increased means in which to tell the world about it via video streaming websites? :)

Ah the good old human ego.. only now that we know these planets exist; is it possible that extra terrestrials may also exist. The first one was confirmed to exist in 1992, and even by finding just one, it would have been seen as serious evidence that others also existed. That was 18 years ago, and only now is this happening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

IMHO...

most scientist do not deny there is alien life out there, they just deny that we have any evidence to support this fact...

this to me reeks of another worthless job witha big salary.. Reminds me of jobs Fianna Fail created for their mates....

Like seriously if Alien life was to land and make public contact with us, say in South America (could be anywhere in the world) ...
    what are we supposed to do... ohh do you mind waiting around here for a day or so while we fly in our desingnated spokesperson to talk to you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

robtri wrote: »
    IMHO...

most scientist do not deny there is alien life out there, they just deny that we have any evidence to support this fact...

this to me reeks of another worthless job witha big salary.. Reminds me of jobs Fianna Fail created for their mates....

Like seriously if Alien life was to land and make public contact with us, say in South America (could be anywhere in the world) ...
    what are we supposed to do... ohh do you mind waiting around here for a day or so while we fly in our desingnated spokesperson to talk to you....

Surely they will head for the US of A like they do in all those documentries on the Movie channel. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Cigar shaped UFOs spotted by Russian pilots. Further to the story above yesterdays Express ran with a similar story. In the comments section was this;

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/201767/Aliens-have-attacked-us
    ....it was 10 isolated missiles that went offline, on two separate occasions. Both times an unidentified object was close by. If you want scary, look up the Russian's equivalent experience.

I'm not convinced, any UFO footage I've seen looks highly shonkey. If material like this is being revealed to the general public by these great technological nations then how come there's no pics/vids of these UFOs around the missile bases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/aliens-have-deactivated-british-and-us-nuclear-missiles-say-us-military-pilots-2354636.html

There seems to be alot of info around today on these "visits" :eek:

edit: Same article as Telegraph link. But, at least they are letting us Paddys know.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=1

Being discussed right now.. they seem scarily serious about it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

WOW!!!!I cannot believe this was being openly discussed on cnn :)

That was epic.. I don't care if they were bullshitting either! The next few days will be interesting, I wonder if governments will step forward to either back it up or debunk what was said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1315620/U-S-airmans-startling-testimony-UFO-encounter-near-UK-nuclear-base.html

There's 3 possibilities as far as I can see

1) They're genuine and sure of their claims
    2) Some sort of anti-nuclear or some other propaganda is the meaning of it all
    3) They're all mad

Take your pick!

That was epic.. I don't care if they were bullshitting either! The next few days will be interesting, I wonder if governments will step forward to either back it up or debunk what was said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1315620/U-S-airmans-startling-testimony-UFO-encounter-near-UK-nuclear-base.html

There's 3 possibilities as far as I can see

1) They're genuine and sure of their claims
    2) Some sort of anti-nuclear or some other propaganda is the meaning of it all
    3) They're all mad

Take your pick!

I missed it! What happened?

I missed it! What happened?

There's a bit of info about it in the link above. I'll not even try to quantify what happened until I've re-watched the press conference when it's put up on YouTube. But in summary, a group of former Air Force officials have claimed that ETs have visited us and interfered with nuclear systems, possibly as a sign for us to discontinue using nuclear weapons. I know it sounds nuts, but that's what they alluded to, and I'm loath to call it a fantastical daydream just yet. They seemed utterly genuine, to me at least.

possibly as a sign for us to discontinue using nuclear weapons.

More likely they will want to step up funding toward security nukes/laser weapons etc so we can properly defend ourselves against these monsters, we need to come together to defeat this soon to be threat ;)

Folks will be begging for a new world order :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Cigar shaped UFOs spotted by Russian pilots. Further to the story above yesterdays Express ran with a similar story. In the comments section was this;

Wow, love the footage of that youtube vid:D. Why show all that fake video. Russia have not used MiG-21s in intercepts since the '70s.

The cockpit footage is taken from the back seat of an F-15B or D which is footage used in a training dogfight video. The UFO is just slapped on CGI.

I hate the way show fill out their stories with file footage that has nothing to do with the event being discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

M.othman! :o

Surely they'd need to appoint a whole global team of appointed contacts wouldn't they? If an alien ship came down in Ireland then the Mothman would need to fly over to greet them. So who is the person that says "Hang on, can't speak to you until M.Othman flies over to greet you."?!

Advertisement