Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensible Anchoring?

Options
  • 26-09-2010 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hello all, I have a query about a realistic way to anchor a 16.5ft angling boat in 150 meter plus seas.
    My issue is with the length of rope and chain involved. If I was to follow the general rule of thumb I'd need to tow another boat with me purely to carry enough rope.
    Are there any expierienced boaters/anglers out there that have come across, or heard of, a solution to the same problem?

I'm popping my forum cherry here so please be gentle.

Much obliged.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Anchoring isn't just a matter of throwing an anchor overboard. First, you need to purchase an anchor designed for the type of bottom characteristics typically found in your area (sand, mud, etc.). Here are some guidelines to follow:

Before anchoring, be aware of the "swing"; of other area boats. For example, a yacht at anchor may swing out widely, so put more space between your boat and the yacht.

Secure your anchor line to something sturdy on the boat before dropping it into the water.

Drop your anchor slowly off the bow by holding on to the chain or line until you feel some slack.

Let the boat drift back while you feed out the proper amount of scope. The recommended scope ratio is approximately seven (or eight) to one. For example, if you're in 30 feet of water you'll want 210 to 240 feet of line.

Secure the line and "back down" on the anchor by keeping your bow into the wind or current to set it.

Put the engine in neutral and make sure that you aren't drifting. Reset your anchor if you begin to drift.

Also try this link it may help.
    http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/safetips.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Thanks Fergal, I read your comment in another thread about mooring but it doesn't really help me all too much I'm afraid.
    I consider myself a reasonably expierenced boater/angler and have anchored boats many times. My issue is that with my new boat my range has increased dramatically and i can now fish in much deepr waters which means i need a method of anchoring that doesn't involve close on a kilometer of rope and chain.
    Have you or anyone else tried using just twice your depth in rope? Possibly with a longer length of a heavier chain to dampen any tension on the rope?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You should be ok with twice your depth it's not like you will be near to rocks out that far if you do drift a bit, the only problem out so deep is you can't feel how big the swells are but as long as you are not lifting the anchor with every wave you won't move that much.There are also things like drag bags that work like a water anchor might be worth a look.:)

I'm actually quite close to the shore. I fish off the southwest coast so its pretty deep even close in. That said I had been thinking I could pull it off with twice the length and a strong small diameter rope, I just wanted to see if anyone had a similar expierence before i go and splah out on it.
    I tried the drag bag option this year but its just not good enough for bottom fishing. You cant really allow yourself to cover too much ground when you're using bait.

Either way, much obliged.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Realistically you're not going to anchor in that depth of water. The amount of line required would be far too much and the weight of hauling it up would probably put you in hospital!

If you need to slow the boat and drifting is still too fast then you need to get your hands on a drogue. It will take a bit of practice to get it right for your boat, but would work wonders and has none of the disadvantages of anchoring in deep water.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dyflin but I've tried that route and been pretty unimpressed by the results. Maybe I deployed it wrong. Any tips?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

My rule of thumb was always three times depth for chain, six times for rope. I'm still alive and posting here so maybe there's something to it. :)

If overnighting, I'd always throw out a second one or a kedge if room was limited.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Steve wrote: »
    My rule of thumb was always three times depth for chain, six times for rope. I'm still alive and posting here so maybe there's something to it. :)

so 450m of chain or 900m of rope is your recommendation? (why not just make it a round kilometre of rope? ;) )

Quiet you wrote: »
    Thanks Dyflin but I've tried that route and been pretty unimpressed by the results. Maybe I deployed it wrong. Any tips?

Off the bow or stern? How big is the drogue and set how far behind boat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Dyflin wrote: »
    Off the bow or stern? How big is the drogue and set how far behind boat?

You know those portable skips? Not the metal ones, the ones that look like giant bin bags? You could try one as a sea anchor.

Why cant you lkeave the engine on and drive into the current? Does it scare the fish?
    Or why cant you just drift?

What are you fishiing for and what equipment do you use to catch it?

• Advertisement

I couldn't give you measurements on it but its overkill for my boat. I've a 16.5ft seahog samurai and the drogue is rated for a 20ft to 25ft craft.
    Its always been tied onto the bow cleat and I'd say its let out three or four metres or so. Could the length of rope affect it that much?

ISAW wrote: »
    You know those portable skips? Not the metal ones, the ones that look like giant bin bags? You could try one as a sea anchor.

Why cant you lkeave the engine on and drive into the current? Does it scare the fish?
    Or why cant you just drift?

What are you fishiing for and what equipment do you use to catch it?

I bought a purpose made sea anchor but it still allows drifting.
    As for leaving the engine on, thats not really practical. You'd waste fuel, never manage to stay stationary and lose tonnes of gear in the propeller which in itself wouldn't be the safest thing.
    Drifting is effective for some species but when it comes to most predators you need to choose your ground, bait your hooks and leave them in the same spot on the sea bed.
    I fish for edable species mainly, ray, skate, cod, ling, plaice, bass etc but you can always pick up a smoothie or conger. As for gear I generally use single hook traces. I use muppets and pirks sometimes too.

Might be best to get a long line on the rod and let the ratchet click away till you get a bite, it is a great sound hearing that reel go it's like winning on a slot machine:)

ISAW wrote: »

I know of some people who recommend the one ton sand bags that you get from builders providers. Usually to be found lying in heaps around building sites (i.e. not difficult to get hold of one for free). It's certainly worth trying as it's more of a sea-anchor than drogue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Dyflin wrote: »
    so 450m of chain or 900m of rope is your recommendation? (why not just make it a round kilometre of rope? ;) )
    :o
    Yeah, I should've read the thread properly before posting that..
    Quiet you wrote: »
    I bought a purpose made sea anchor but it still allows drifting.
    As for leaving the engine on, thats not really practical. You'd waste fuel, never manage to stay stationary and lose tonnes of gear in the propeller which in itself wouldn't be the safest thing.
    Drifting is effective for some species but when it comes to most predators you need to choose your ground, bait your hooks and leave them in the same spot on the sea bed.
    I fish for edable species mainly, ray, skate, cod, ling, plaice, bass etc but you can always pick up a smoothie or conger. As for gear I generally use single hook traces. I use muppets and pirks sometimes too.
    Is there any option to get friendly with some of the local ground fishermen and ask them if they'd mind you tying on to one of their pot strings? Mad, I know, but it'd tick all the boxes for you. Maybe your ground bait and their pot bait would be beneficial to both parties?

Advertisement