Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to C202?

Options
  • 25-09-2010 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

202atwaterfordsouth.jpg

Whatever happened to poor old C202? The locomotive seen here near the site of Waterford South station a couple of years ago disappeared without trace. Having survived the attentions of the village idiots while marooned at the Cahirciveen Heritage Centre it was moved to Waterford for preservation (?). Surely having shelled out quite a large sum to move the loco from Kerry it was not scrapped? I don't want people coming on here with all sorts of nonsense about it - just hard facts. Incidentally, it was never destined for preservation at Dunsandle http://dunsandlestation.blogspot.com/ on the former Loughrea branch.

Any information gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

The scrapman put it out of its misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Correct, probably now in use as razors; it was scrapped fairly recently, but the facts are a little muddy.
    I once said it would have been idealy placed at the restored and remote (away from vandals) Kells Station near Cahirciveen.
    It's a good example at how hard it is to keep something of (industrial) heritage preserved, or at least saved, in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Specific information - please - as loose talk cost lives! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What happened to the loco in the picture? I'd be more interested as to what happened to the bridge in the background!!!

I recall it was hit by a ship a few years ago. What line was it a part of and is there any future use for it or will it just be allowed decay and/or fall into the river?

BrianD wrote: »
    What happened to the loco in the picture? I'd be more interested as to what happened to the bridge in the background!!!

I recall it was hit by a ship a few years ago. What line was it a part of and is there any future use for it or will it just be allowed decay and/or fall into the river?

It was part of the Mallow/Waterford line which closed in 1967 but the section from Ballinacourty (nr.Dungarvan) to Waterford was retained for freight traffic until 28/7/1982. I was on an xxxx dinner special over the line on the last day. Incidentally, there was a second passenger special on the line on the last day which brought workers from Quigley Magnesite at Ballinacourty for a day out somewhere.... memory fails me. The centre span was removed soon afterwards and is now dumped (along with lots of MkIII carriages) in Waterford goods yard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Was it hit by shipping or removed to facilitate shipping? Was the centre section liftable or movable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

BrianD wrote: »
    Was it hit by shipping or removed to facilitate shipping? Was the centre section liftable or movable?
    there was/is a section of the bridge which lifted but i am not sure if that was the section they removed to facilitate shipping.

The centre section was moveable similar to that on the Barrow Bridge on the now closed South Wexford line. It may have been hit by a ship but more likely CIE used that as an excuse for its removal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EI8GHB

If I could be allowed to re-open this thread, with significant news, it would seem that C202 is still intact. Or at least it was in April of this year (2011).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51098945@N02/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51098945@N02/5742200761/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51098945@N02/5742753418/in/photostream

Doesn't look like razor blades to me!!!

I presume that the location - Bishopshall - is near Kilmacow in County Kilkenny? I thought all the cognoscenti here and on IRN stated that it had been scrapped. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Probably more or less where it was originally as Kilmacow isnt very far from that. Lets hope its in the hands of someone who will keep it even if restoration isnt practica (maybe it is, I dont know). Good to see it s still around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EI8GHB

By the looks of it, it's at a site where there are other railway items stored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I'm surprised no one salvaged the double cab fronts of this loco as pub / nightclub props. If they were advertised on Fleabay they would have certainly got some international interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Des175d

202atwaterfordsouth.jpg

Whatever happened to poor old C202? The locomotive seen here near the site of Waterford South station a couple of years ago disappeared without trace. Having survived the attentions of the village idiots while marooned at the Cahirciveen Heritage Centre it was moved to Waterford for preservation (?). Surely having shelled out quite a large sum to move the loco from Kerry it was not scrapped? I don't want people coming on here with all sorts of nonsense about it - just hard facts. Incidentally, it was never destined for preservation at Dunsandle http://dunsandlestation.blogspot.com/ on the former Loughrea branch.

Any information gratefully received.
    Saw her on Tuesday - all intact apart from some rust, graffiti and broken windows.
    Stored on rails and not open to the weather even though she's stored outside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 haulage.basher

Des175d wrote: »
    Saw her on Tuesday - all intact apart from some rust, graffiti and broken windows.
    Stored on rails and not open to the weather even though she's stored outside

You saw her where exactly? It certainly aint in Bilberry anymore. Long gone from there. Some say it has been scrapped but I was talking to jackie Whelan at the WCR when I visited it in 2010 and we came to the subject of C202. He told me that he had purchased it and was bringing it to one of his sites.

I have no reason to doubt the man.

But in fiarness, Moyasta has become somewhat of a dumping ground lately. He seems to be buying up all sorts of every thing much of which, C202 being a good example, is gone far past the point of any restoration. The man is a hoarder, and it will break him.

first post, I wouldn't place much creedence on its truth with out more details and a photo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 haulage.basher

Well, I just saying what I was told. And I was told from the horses mouth when I was up there. It was the same conversation with him when I asked him about the remaining cement bubble wagon outside the limerick shed and he said he had bought that too.

So since I heard it from him I will be willing to accept it unless Jackie Whelan has a habbit of telling bullshít to whoever pulls into the WCR carpark. I suppose he could have been telling one though. Who knows.

HAs anyone else on here got definitive proof that it has been scrapped? Pics of cutting up, etc

not you...da other guy...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The man is a hoarder, and it will break him.

It will take a lot to break him; the guys a multi multi millionaire :)

It will take a lot to break him; the guys a multi multi millionaire :)

I doubt that but whether he is or not the Moyasta saga will end in tears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Iolaire

Why's that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I have no reason to doubt the man.

I wouldn't be at all surprised. *sigh* Moyasta looked like Hammond Lane scrapyard the last time I passed thru.

I like historic locos, but this empty shell should have been put out of its misery years ago, or alternatively do a Sean Brown style job on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I doubt that but whether he is or not the Moyasta saga will end in tears.
    Your very pessimism JD :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    Your very pessimism JD :(

Just realistic IMO. All the locos are just sitting under tarps, rusting away in the salt air, no rail to run on, middle of nowhere, no progress in the last few years that's been heard of. They still be sitting there in 20 years IMO, unless the undesirables get to them and strip them before that...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Just realistic IMO. All the locos are just sitting under tarps, rusting away in the salt air, no rail to run on, middle of nowhere, no progress in the last few years that's been heard of. They still be sitting there in 20 years IMO, unless the undesirables get to them and strip them before that...

Just a disgrace that the locos are being let to rot like that especially 124 and 190,they are personal favourites of mine.Horrible state of affairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Iolaire

Rud wrote: »
    Just a disgrace that the locos are being let to rot like that especially 124 and 190,they are personal favourites of mine.Horrible state of affairs

Your solution?

Iolaire wrote: »
    Your solution?

cartoons%2B001.JPG

you would think that somewhere in this bankrupt country there would be an empty warehouse unit available to rent cheap, preferably somewhere where there are some people to help work on these locos rather than have them covered up , you can't do anything to them like that, might as well just scrap them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I would think the situation is akin to someone buying a classic car and simply leaving it out in the open or simply firing a tarp over it. If you don't have facilities to store it or no probability of facilities in the short/medium term DON'T BOTHER WITH IT. And unless you coat it in paint every other year and weatherproof it religiously, it WILL rust away. Then the scrappers will get it in the end, despite the money you threw at it to acquire and transport it.

Stuffed and mounted works in dry climates, but not here. We have a thing called rain which happens.
    A lot.

• Advertisement

Sadly it was the same back in the - slightly less - bankrupt 1980s, factory units empty all over the country yet no home could ever be found for anything. No 'joined up thinking' , no 'can do' policies from on high, which is precisely why are preservation movement is where it is. Canals, cars, buses, trains, lightships.....and yet our 'masters' keeping on telling us how important tourism is to the country. If you don't like binge drinking with Brits in Temple Bar, surfing, visiting OPW interpretative centres, staying in zombie hotels or soaking up bungalow blight there's little to attract the visitor to Ireland.

Advertisement