Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Showers in front of others after PE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

I'm only after leaving a school that has open showers with no curtains or anything. Anyone who doesn't have a shower gets a "demerit" or one third of a detention.

Have no issue with open showers, military & team showers are usually open ones, it'd be good practice not to give a sh*t about showering in front of others.

Though i'm sure circulating naked pics of adults without permission is illegal, never mind kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

We had open showers that used to be freezing, no one ever took pictures though, although its not really an extreme level of bullying anyway I don't think, anyone having a shower was obviously comfortable enough in their own skin anyway

Bit of a difference between having an open shower along with people in the same situation and having pics posted on facebook or sent around by mobile or whatever form the bullying takes. I don't mind having an open shower after football but it doesn't mean i'd walk out on the pitch bollock naked!
    uncle-mofo wrote: »
    I'm only after leaving a school that has open showers with no curtains or anything. Anyone who doesn't have a shower gets a "demerit" or one third of a detention.

What?? How the hell do they police that?? Sounds a bit dodgy. Was this a boarding school?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

I'm a streaker, all sweaty, played with myself for the last 10 minutes and stickey as well, where's the shower? Don't mind sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

kowloon wrote: »
    Those showrooms can be confusing, it was only after we all finished that we found out none of it was even plumbed in. ;)

oh it was...

well

their was some plumbing their somewhere

* pedophile joke *

kthxbai

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

the christian brothers used to watch us showering to make sure we were washing properly, true story bro

****in depraved *****

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Can't believe the amount of people who don't/didn't shower after P.E.! When I started secondary school the showers were about 50 yards down a concrete corridor away from the changing rooms. Everyone just threw a towel around their waist on the way to and from the showers. There were individual cubicles but no curtains or anything.

Then when they built new dressing rooms, the showers were attached to the dressing room. No divisions this time, just around 12 shower heads along the walls. I can't believe it's such a big issue for some people. :confused:

I'd imagine that anyone who'd be taking photos or videos would be the ones to get the sh1t bet out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

Yeah we had open showers in ours school. It was a all boys school though. You had to wear shorts/jocks in the showers and showers were compulsory.
    When we got a female teacher some of the lads just started walking around the changing room bollock naked so she could never take the attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

i find this thread depressing our attitude to the naked body is so outdated .
    i played volleyball in uni and went around europe playin it most places abroad had open showers . My team being mainly irish were doing the whole showering in our underwear thing and then getting dressed under a towel , the foreign teams thought this was just weird .

they were bollock naked and there was no sexual undertone in it and all shapes and sizes were on display.

i think that we as a country have a weird idea that the naked body is all about sex its not lighten up !

i think if there was more openess about the naked body people wouldnt be so hung up on there own appearance and showering getting changed wouldnt be such a hassle.

i dont care at this stage and if i need to shower get changed dont hide anything hahah its liberating and gets the job done quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Is it me or is everyone missing the fact that you should be 18 or have consent from your guardians to get naked?
    I mean it's pretty sickening tbh, last thing I need is some aul perv coming in and saying "alright lads, let's get out of the showers now" when I was 13 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

my old school had open showers

we didnt have to have them it was an option but none of the girls anyway ever used them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is it me or is everyone missing the fact that you should be 18 or have consent from your guardians to get naked?
    I mean it's pretty sickening tbh, last thing I need is some aul perv coming in and saying "alright lads, let's get out of the showers now" when I was 13 years old.

jesus, not even the Americans have progressed that far and you know how paranoid they are.

Again, pre-cameraphone era here, but if someone tried to get a camera into the shower room, he'd have been lynched long before he got anything worthwhile.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Dunno about you lot, but if somebody brought a phone into the changing room in my school the phone would be stolen and the owner would become the school pariah.

Well in our school we always wore shorts. But we were always expected to shower after PE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We'd open showers in school. One freaky fvcker was well known at the time for fondling the younger boys, and everyone had to be naked.

The school is mentioned in the Ryan report on child sexual abuse.

I visited the school after the release of the report, wrote about it here on boards.ie at the time.

Any school which doesn't provide some privacy for their kids are idiots and leaving themselves & the dept. of education (tax payer) liable.

Nudity doesn't bother me at all, I train everynight and at least 3 times a week would use a communal shower with the lads from Judo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

catthinkin wrote: »
    i find this thread depressing our attitude to the naked body is so outdated .
    i played volleyball in uni and went around europe playin it most places abroad had open showers . My team being mainly irish were doing the whole showering in our underwear thing and then getting dressed under a towel , the foreign teams thought this was just weird .

they were bollock naked and there was no sexual undertone in it and all shapes and sizes were on display.

i think that we as a country have a weird idea that the naked body is all about sex its not lighten up !

i think if there was more openess about the naked body people wouldnt be so hung up on there own appearance and showering getting changed wouldnt be such a hassle.

i dont care at this stage and if i need to shower get changed dont hide anything hahah its liberating and gets the job done quicker

+1

All "anglo-saxon" cultures (British/Irish/American) are seriously weird when it comes to nakedness. Fine, divide the boys from the girls ...but after that it's off with the clothes and get clean. And don't get me started on going to the sauna with your smelly togs on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

If ever I saw underpants or togs in the communal shower I'd be wondering what was wrong with the person wearing them.

At any gym or club I was at it was strip off and keep eyes to yourself, its the same as urinal etiquette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    jesus, not even the Americans have progressed that far and you know how paranoid they are.

Again, pre-cameraphone era here, but if someone tried to get a camera into the shower room, he'd have been lynched long before he got anything worthwhile.

Well I meant nowadays really.
    Well in our school we always wore shorts. But we were always expected to shower after PE.

Bit stupid that one. If you're stinking up the place, fine but forcing kids to shower is too much.
    peasant wrote: »
    +1

All "anglo-saxon" cultures (British/Irish/American) are seriously weird when it comes to nakedness. Fine, divide the boys from the girls ...but after that it's off with the clothes and get clean. And don't get me started on going to the sauna with your smelly togs on :rolleyes:

But there's a difference, a big difference. Going to the swimming pool and changing in the dressing rooms and being naked is one thing; going into "school" showers is a bit dodgey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Yeah, regardless of the rights or wrongs of our attitudes to the naked body as a culture, I think it's something just short of cruelty to force a bunch of pubescent kids to shower in front of each other. It's an awkward age, and I can imagine having it hanging over you every week could make you absolutely miserable if you're a shy kid.

As for the person taking the photo being the pariah - ye forget that teenagers hunt in packs. One individual wouldn't necessarily do it under their own steam, they'd be daring each other on until one of them finally did it. I've no doubt it happens, if not as much as might have been suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

We'd open showers in school. One freaky fvcker was well known at the time for fondling the younger boys, and everyone had to be naked.

The school is mentioned in the Ryan report on child sexual abuse.

I visited the school after the release of the report, wrote about it here on boards.ie at the time.

Any school which doesn't provide some privacy for their kids are idiots and leaving themselves & the dept. of education (tax payer) liable.

Nudity doesn't bother me at all, I train everynight and at least 3 times a week would use a communal shower with the lads from Judo.
    Time for another good idea bad idea.....

Good idea....showering after judo training.

Bad idea...judo training during a communal shower!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well I meant nowadays really.

Bit stupid that one. If you're stinking up the place, fine but forcing kids to shower is too much.

But there's a difference, a big difference. Going to the swimming pool and changing in the dressing rooms and being naked is one thing; going into "school" showers is a bit dodgey.

No difference in my mind. If there were showers available then I think they should be used, but with the options of shorts. No one should force kids to shower naked in a communal shower, be it pool or school.

I do think though that a more mature approach to nudity would knock the entire issue on it's head. I always find it amusing the people teach their kids to be happy, self-confident and as independant as poosible, but still subconsciously passing on the idea that there is something wrong with the nude human body.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Any gang bangs caught on tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I had to shower in open showers while at school in both Ireland and the US and it was grand. Probably wouldn't have got my nickname of anaconda without being asked to shower. A few people used to wear shorts and got a bit of stick for possiblty having a small dick. That was the height of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

We had open showers that used to be freezing, no one ever took pictures though, although its not really an extreme level of bullying anyway I don't think, anyone having a shower was obviously comfortable enough in their own skin anyway

As someone who had her picture taken while in a school dressing room, I was wearing my undies, so wasn't as exposed as I would have been in the shower. The picture was then shown to the whole class. It was a mixed school, I was 15 and fat with moderate acne.

I can assure you as a child it definitely feels like extreme bullying.:mad:

We had open showers, but never used them as they were super open, directly across from the door. Some of the guys used them in their room.

I don't do communal showers or dressing rooms. I'm modest and I don't see anything wrong with that. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

If ever I saw underpants or togs in the communal shower I'd be wondering what was wrong with the person wearing them.

At any gym or club I was at it was strip off and keep eyes to yourself, its the same as urinal etiquette.

We have communal showers at the gym I go to and you would often see grown men showering in a pair of jocks and then go out and get changed under a towel!!
    I can half understand young teenagers in school doing this but not grown men!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yeah, regardless of the rights or wrongs of our attitudes to the naked body as a culture, I think it's something just short of cruelty to force a bunch of pubescent kids to shower in front of each other. It's an awkward age, and I can imagine having it hanging over you every week could make you absolutely miserable if you're a shy kid.

Like it makes a difference when you're dressed?

Bullies will be bullies and at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if they tease you for your glasses, your funny sweater, your weird shoes or your allegedly small dick.

It's only because being naked gets this weird emphasis in these cultures that being teased over a small dick/fat belly all of a sudden seems more hurtful than over your clothes/hair/way of speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

There was showers at the end of the changing room, couple of rules though. First of all, no teachers were allowed in the changing rooms only if there's trouble. No curtain though, should be one. To quote my PE teacher 'I don't care what weather is like, you have showers''

I hate this attitude that the human body is a sick thing to hide away. Reminds me of the petition to ban urinals from schools because it apparently put 'pressure' on boys to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

So many prudes.

I just got out of the shower and am sitting naked in front of the PC. I just walked past an electrician who's in doing some work and neither of us batted an eyelid.

You know, if nudity was more common & socially accepted, then being seen nude wouldn't be a big deal to most. It's the very fact that it isn't 'normal' that makes it 'traumatic' for so many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

At my school we had open showers. The p.e teacher A.K.A bananaman used to stand at the door and make sure everyone showered. Fu ckin' perv...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

That's all well and good if you're happy enough strutting around in the nip or not, but not everybody is, particularly not during the freaky growth spurt/ acne/ puppyfat years. Open showers and communal dressing rooms might not bother some people, or even most people, but for the couple of kids who are a bit less comfortable with themselves as yet, they've had the choice taken away from them, and I don't think that's fair. Being a teenager is miserable enough without having the school find awesome new venues and circumstances for kids to be arseholes to each other.

I'd also say it's different in that if somebody makes a laugh of your hair or clothes, you can at least console yourself that you won't have either forever - whereas something like this can have fairly deep rooted and long term consequences for somebody's budding body image.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement