Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New business www.icabbi.ie

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Very good, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Yeah definitely one of the better ads I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I think somebody was watching the apprentice last week!?!? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Ah no it's a good one. I've forwarded it on for ya.

Actually thinking on doing a vinyl video myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 iCabbi

Thanks all, the Apprentice gave us all a good lesson, in what to avoid when doing a viral!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

That really is fantastic, best Vinyl I have seen in a long time. You make that in house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Now thats how you do a viral. Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

only seeing this thread now.

great idea lads, well done.

Personally, as a 26 year old man, safety isn't really a concern for me when getting a cab. But I know it's something that women would jump at, even if it cost more (not saying it does, but I'm just saying).

I have lots of male friends also who like to book cabs( I don't know why as they often don't turn up). Personally, I prefer to just head out to the road and wave one down (unless it's raining).

There's a big market there for you, and so far looks good. There are probably going to be lots of problems with the taxi drivers themselves. But best of luck

Oh, and i thought the viral was brilliant - well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Excellent vinyl! Thats how its done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Good one :D

Down loaded the app last night. It will be interesting to try it out some time, even more interesting to operate after 10 pints of Guinness ;).

As I've said before, I'll follow with interest and hope that you make a business out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Thanks for all the good feedback! In the top 10 of free apps on itunes now :D
    Clearpreso wrote: »
    That really is fantastic, best Vinyl I have seen in a long time. You make that in house?

We were hugely impressed at the quality of the video. Eamonn Cleary directed and cut it, http://cutbymo.blogspot.com/ - he comes highly recommended! The entire crew he put together were class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I have used it a few times. Its actually very useful. If they accepted credit cards it would be great.
    I like how they send the closest person to you rather on a que that they use at a dispatch station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

What a great idea, well done and hope everything goes well for you in the future. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Lorelei

Calle this evening and booked for pickup at 9:00pm given drivers contact no etc. Called him to confirm detaisl no problem,
    then decided didn't need to worry about how much I drank. At 9:28 called drivers number no answer tried texting no joy. obviously phone switched off.Tried contactn icabbi no joy.
    Finally got taxi on street at 10.30pm drops value e€ 56.00 plus tip . Home at 23;00 no news from icabbi.
    Totally useless let us down completely ruined evening may be assured that everyone I know will be told what a complete waste of time this compan is.
    Are they aware of the law regarding contracts? Personally don't care they've definitely lost 5 customers plus I shall be informing another 100+ of the service I was not provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Picard Alpha359

Hi, my friend always uses this service on his iphone, personally i think it a very good idea, especially the security aspect, and you can track the taxi in real time and plus you have a record of what car you were in, so belongings left behind can be got back.
    I didn't have time to read through all this thread so maybe it was discussed but can anyone tell me is this app available to Nokia yet? I can't find it on Ovi but the cab driver last night had a Nokia?

All the best with it, hope its a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Lorelei wrote: »
    Calle this evening and booked for pickup at 9:00pm given drivers contact no etc. Called him to confirm detaisl no problem,
    then decided didn't need to worry about how much I drank. At 9:28 called drivers number no answer tried texting no joy. obviously phone switched off.Tried contactn icabbi no joy.
    Finally got taxi on street at 10.30pm drops value e€ 56.00 plus tip . Home at 23;00 no news from icabbi.
    Totally useless let us down completely ruined evening may be assured that everyone I know will be told what a complete waste of time this compan is.
    Are they aware of the law regarding contracts? Personally don't care they've definitely lost 5 customers plus I shall be informing another 100+ of the service I was not provided.
    No iCabbi response to this?

Seems like Boards.ie is fine to market your business but not to engage with criticism.

I emailed cabbi.i with my comments.
    Their answer was that the driver had since been taken off the system.
    They didn't take pre bookings and possibly this should have been clear on the website, so why was the booking taken.
    Also it was a new venture and teething problems could be expected.
    None of these changed the facts or the fact that the night was ruined.
    Nice to hear that others are having success, afraid though that I don't see myself using them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Well sounds like he had/has a great idea....technology to solve a problem.

Real problems start once you introduce people into the loop...thats when even the greatest of ideas.....service ideas in particular bring things crashing down.

Ever see the way Dragons on the Den tell people looking for investment to expand a Franchise that they would invest in them as individuals but they would never replicate their idea through someone else because they wouldn't have the same dedication.

Great idea but no legislating for some people and as you can see if you leave a bad impression people will vote with their feet.

Which is probably a very apt saying as a lot of cabs didn't show up. :-O

fully agree he was completely let down by one of his guys.
    Anyone in the service industry which I am suffers at some point or other. What however has caused me to bin the service was the lack of contact to anyone on the night in question or some information on their site saying that there would be no contact.
    Hope he succeeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

http://www.thetaxisite.com/index.php

Looks like a established taxi company is getting into the App based taxi ordering.

How it going icabbi?? Hows 2011 treating ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

http://www.prestocab.com/index.php

Oh dear, looks like someone is chomping at your bit.

So thats 3 competitors to yer i-phone business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

I Was VB wrote: »
    http://www.prestocab.com/index.php

Oh dear, looks like someone is chomping at your bit.

So thats 3 competitors to yer i-phone business.

That site is still undergoing alpha testing. It looks like it's nearly there though. The big challenge, as always, is getting drivers (and passengers!) on board...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭GoldenBoot

Its a good idea but because its so simple and cost effective to replicate a third party company such as the op will quickly be pushed out of the market. I dont think there is any way to gain enough market share to ensure your survival before the large taxi firms can compete. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    That site is still undergoing alpha testing. It looks like it's nearly there though. The big challenge, as always, is getting drivers (and passengers!) on board...

I signed up with icabbi as a driver 4 weeka ago and haven't got a single job yet. Admittedly I only work from 7pm Sat - 5am Sunday but i find the only time the mapping shows my position refreshed , is when i zoom in or out. I've driven from Dublin 16 to city centre or the airport and unless i change my setting or zoom the mapping doesn't refresh like the Sat Nav function on my Nokia 5230....

I have the setting at 5km range.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sebas

I signed up with icabbi as a driver 4 weeka ago and haven't got a single job yet. Admittedly I only work from 7pm Sat - 5am Sunday but i find the only time the mapping shows my position refreshed , is when i zoom in or out. I've driven from Dublin 16 to city centre or the airport and unless i change my setting or zoom the mapping doesn't refresh like the Sat Nav function on my Nokia 5230....

I have the setting at 5km range.....

I guess that there are not too many customers registered yet....

sebas wrote: »
    I guess that there are not too many customers registered yet....

I just re registered with them today (scanned my documents and registered online) as supposedly they are relaunching icabbi this week.....

They seem to providing a 20% discount now as well as a "make an offer" feature......

http://www.icabbi.com/consumers/why_icabbi

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

"How is iCabbi different to a traditional dispatch company?

Using cutting edge technology iCabbi connects customers directly to the nearest iCabbi without the need to speak to anyone. You will never need to make multiple phone calls to different cab companies on busy nights, no need for calls to directory enquiries to get taxi firms numbers."

I never make any multiple phone calls to different cab companies on busy nights, or never make calls to directory enquiries to get taxi numbers, so why should I use this service at all.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Great idea, one I had myself recently until something else came along! Could you extend the functionality availabel to the end user to build in a fixed fair (based on your pick up and your drop off destination), so you are basically protected in terms of the fare, (because you are provided with the full & total fare information when you book via the mobile device or PC)....

Very best of luck with this OP, great to see these kind of concepts emerging in a country that is hostile to job creation and the development of ideas such as this...

"How is iCabbi different to a traditional dispatch company?

Using cutting edge technology iCabbi connects customers directly to the nearest iCabbi without the need to speak to anyone. You will never need to make multiple phone calls to different cab companies on busy nights, no need for calls to directory enquiries to get taxi firms numbers."

I never make any multiple phone calls to different cab companies on busy nights, or never make calls to directory enquiries to get taxi numbers, so why should I use this service at all.:mad:

Well I haven't actualy started with them as yet but will be later this week so i can't speak for their "cutting edge technology" only point you in the direction of their website. But instead of being told there will be a cab there in 20 mins and then after 30 mins you ring and say where's my cab and get fobbed off with being told another 15 mins etc etc you can actually cntact the driver direct and from the way there software allocates a job tio a driver it should go to the nearest available driver within a given distance away (less than 5km's as far as i can see.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement