Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Sutherland urges 'hard decisions'

Options
  • 24-09-2010 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

Former European Commissioner and Goldman Sachs International Chairman Peter Sutherland has said Ireland is in danger of losing credibility unless what he called 'hard decisions' on cutting costs are made.

He told the Institute of Directors in Dublin that Ireland's position in debt markets had deteriorated, despite the successful auction of €1.5bn of bonds earlier this week.

Mr Sutherland claimed that our costs - mainly but not exclusively on pay - were still far too high, and we had failed to measure our costs against those of other European countries.

'If we did so, it would be apparent that we are still way above average in many areas, particularly in the public sector and this says nothing about pension costs,' he said.

Mr Sutherland said lower prices and wages were 'essential' to avoid unemployment.

Referring to the €3bn of measures mentioned for the next Budget, he said more cuts could be found if the main political parties accepted that more was needed and were prepared to say so.

The former commissioner said cuts would be painful, but the alternative was much greater pain through the higher cost of borrowing.

Here we go again! The NWO represenitive for Ireland.Lets face it when he tells the government to do something they do it.When he came here for the Lisbon treaty, they showed him being greeted by the 3 main party leaders and they were all like cowering little servents when they met him ,particularly Eamonn Gilmore! It was like he was some kind of king or something! He is clearly putting out a warning shot at the government and I bet they will step up to the plate to show their loyalty!

More pain and suffering for the ordinary man! Yeah take more pay off me ,take my health care ,but you better force the banks to lower their interest rate ,cut at least 40% off everyones mortgage ,jail corrupt polititians ,and then people will be able to live on your "competitive" wages:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Former European Commissioner and Goldman Sachs International Chairman Peter Sutherland has said Ireland is in danger of losing credibility unless what he called 'hard decisions' on cutting costs are made.

He told the Institute of Directors in Dublin that Ireland's position in debt markets had deteriorated, despite the successful auction of €1.5bn of bonds earlier this week.

Mr Sutherland claimed that our costs - mainly but not exclusively on pay - were still far too high, and we had failed to measure our costs against those of other European countries.

'If we did so, it would be apparent that we are still way above average in many areas, particularly in the public sector and this says nothing about pension costs,' he said.

Mr Sutherland said lower prices and wages were 'essential' to avoid unemployment.

Referring to the €3bn of measures mentioned for the next Budget, he said more cuts could be found if the main political parties accepted that more was needed and were prepared to say so.

The former commissioner said cuts would be painful, but the alternative was much greater pain through the higher cost of borrowing.

Here we go again! The NWO represenitive for Ireland.Lets face it when he tells the government to do something they do it.When he came here for the Lisbon treaty, they showed him being greeted by the 3 main party leaders and they were all like cowering little servents when they met him ,particularly Eamonn Gilmore! It was like he was some kind of king or something! He is clearly putting out a warning shot at the government and I bet they will step up to the plate to show their loyalty!

More pain and suffering for the ordinary man! Yeah take more pay off me ,take my health care ,but you better force the banks to lower their interest rate ,cut at least 40% off everyones mortgage ,jail corrupt polititians ,and then people will be able to live on your "competitive" wages:rolleyes:

em you do realise the country is in total **** right? Mainly because we lost all semblances of competitiveness and we borrowed truck loads of money for houses that weren't worth a quarter of what people paid. The 'ordinary man' borrowed this money, no one forced them.

I also don't need to be an economics expert to realise if we cut bank interest rates and the value of their loans they become insolvent and they all fail or the state (all of us) puts more money in. Money which might well bankrupt the state. And why the **** should I subsidise people who borrowed more than they could afford (more than I already am that is)?

And to be clear everything he says is completely true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

meglome wrote: »
    em you do realise the country is in total **** right? Mainly because we lost all semblances of competitiveness and we borrowed truck loads of money for houses that weren't worth a quarter of what people paid. The 'ordinary man' borrowed this money, no one forced them.

I also don't need to be an economics expert to realise if we cut bank interest rates and the value of their loans they become insolvent and they all fail or the state (all of us) puts more money in. Money which might well bankrupt the state. And why the **** should I subsidise people who borrowed more than they could afford (more than I already am that is)?

I do realise that ,but what are people supposed to live on? fresh air! I didn't borrow more than I could afford ,I'm still in positive equity thankfully! The only debt I have is my mortgage ,no credit card ,car loan etc...But my wages have been slashed 37% including health care ,mortgage interest rates are going up! I have a comfortable lifestyle probably because I didn't get sucked into the easy credit frezy.But I know plenty of hard working people that are living on a knife edge and any more cuts will probably finish them for good! And if you cannot service your debts with the employment your in ,well there is no point working anymore is there!

I do realise that ,but what are people supposed to live on? fresh air! I didn't borrow more than I could afford ,I'm still in positive equity thankfully! The only debt I have is my mortgage ,no credit card ,car loan etc...But my wages have been slashed 37% including health care ,mortgage interest rates are going up! I have a comfortable lifestyle probably because I didn't get sucked into the easy credit frezy.But I know plenty of hard working people that are living on a knife edge and any more cuts will probably finish them for good!

As far as I remember 20% of the people in this country pay 70% of the tax. So the working man is doing quite nicely and paying fook all tax. The 'working man' is on some of the highest 'working man' salaries in Europe. No one forced anyone to live beyond their means. This country is on a knife edge and there is a lot more pain coming for everyone. We can only hope we don't end up entirely bankrupt.

meglome wrote: »
    The 'working man' is on some of the highest 'working man' salaries in europe.

The 'working man' is was on some of the highest 'working man' salaries in europe.The country is fooked ,but I don't see the point driving more people out of their homes and taking more money off them!Any way it was the government ,the banks and the builders that encouraged this "easy" cash ,the three main causes of the crap were in!

The 'working man' is was on some of the highest 'working man' salaries in europe.The country is fooked ,but I don't see the point driving more people out of their homes and taking more money off them!Any way it was the government ,the banks and the builders that encouraged this "easy" cash ,the three main causes of the crap were in!

The main cause of the crises we're in is the people we voted for. So while we didn't actually make these terrible decisions we kept voting for people who were making them. Maybe people will reflect on that at the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Any reason why this thread is in this forum as opposed to the Irish Economy forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Any reason why this thread is in this forum as opposed to the Irish Economy forum?
    Zero apart from the fact that Sutherland is a member of some groups which are on the CT hit list.

Here we go again! The NWO represenitive for Ireland ,Peter Sutherland.

I suppose I was trying to get at the fact that it's possibly him and the EU that call the shots ,but we just ended up talking economics!The fact that he is the governments "advisor" makes some people suspect he's probably in charge! And he is obviously sending out signals to the Irish public to expect the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I suppose I was trying to get at the fact that it's possibly him and the EU that call the shots ,but we just ended up talking economics!The fact that he is the governments "advisor" makes some people suspect he's probably in charge! And he is obviously sending out signals to the Irish public to expect the worst!

or maybe it possible, that the government follow his advice because he is good at his job and knows what he is talking about and how to try yo make things work out best for our country....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Sutherland has been spotted meeting with bilderberg members and other high ranking business men that would be considered freemasons and/or reptiles.
    The ct being these decisions are not in the interest of the general public or thats how i saw it myself.
    I expect more cuts on thngs like social welfare and housing benefits considering there are so many of the general public using up those resources at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

80% of Anglo's deposits are from NON Irish citizens

robtri wrote: »
    or maybe it possible, that the government follow his advice because he is good at his job and knows what he is talking about and how to try yo make things work out best for our country....

Yes you could be right! But the government have been following his advice for a long time now and he may as well be in charge.They clearly are not.The EU sets budget guidelines and Peter is telling us what to do.Brian Cowan looks after local domesic issues like policing and local law and the EU and Peter decide what we live on! Well thats my take on it:) It doesn't matter who you vote for the EU are in charge....

Torakx wrote: »
    Sutherland has been spotted meeting with bilderberg members and other high ranking business men that would be considered freemasons and/or reptiles.
    The ct being these decisions are not in the interest of the general public or thats how i saw it myself.
    I expect more cuts on thngs like social welfare and housing benefits considering there are so many of the general public using up those resources at the moment.
    Spotted? He's a member of the steering committee of Bilderberg and is Chairman of the Trilateral Commission. How much this worries you depends on how malevolent you think these bodies are of course. ;)

Also, he's not making decisions, he's offering advice. Advice which, I may add, is sound and pretty much on bar with what most economists would advise.
    digme wrote: »
    80% of Anglo's deposits are from NON Irish citizens
    Given that Anglo was a business/commercial bank that's hardly surprising?

Given that Anglo was a business/commercial bank that's hardly surprising?
    ya but not everyone knows that, whats my share in their company? ****ing *****

1333 euros based on operating profit of 2.4 billion in March (before impairment charges).Their assets were 85 billion at the end of '09 so your share is 4722 euros based in 1.8 million taxpayers

Well then people should educate themselves on the facts rather then running for the pitchforks to rabble when they hear figures such as these.

1333 euros based on operating profit of 2.4 billion in March (before impairment charges).Their assets were 85 billion at the end of '09 so your share is 4722 euros based in 1.8 million taxpayers
    i' wasn't expecting that haha,
    i'll send that off so in my tax returns and attach a note explaining that to them.
    what you think ? :cool:

gizmo wrote: »
    Well then people should educate themselves on the facts rather then running for the pitchforks to rabble when they hear figures such as these.
    ya i think your right they certainly should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Zero apart from the fact that Sutherland is a member of some groups which are on the CT hit list.

That is fair enough I didn't know that

Hopefully we can stick to that angle on things

Anyway Back on topic! Does anyone else think Peter Sutherland calls the shots on the major economic decisions and budget matters in this country! And all the low level stuff is left to the lads in the Dail bar on a friday evening!

• Advertisement

Anyway Back on topic! Does anyone else think Peter Sutherland calls the shots on the major economic decisions and budget matters in this country! And all the low level stuff is left to the lads in the Dail bar on a friday evening!
    Not in any shape or form. In fact, it'd be in the EU's best interests if we weren't in this position.

.In fact, it'd be in the EU's best interests if we weren't in this position.

Of course I couldn't agree more.But we have to go cap in hand to them because of our situation.So if the government don't agree with Peter's advice the EU may make life difficult for us.You don't want to bite the hand that feeds you so to speak.In effect they are in charge be it covertly or whatever!

Of course I couldn't agree more.But we have to go cap in hand to them because of our situation.So if the government don't agree with Peter's advice the EU may make life difficult for us.You don't want to bite the hand that feeds you so to speak.In effect they are in charge be it covertly or whatever!
    We've been benefiting financially from the EU for quite some time so there's no reason they'd suddenly us off now. As for Sutherland's advice, he's not speaking on behalf of the EU, merely an Irish person with significant experience in this field. This is why I'd disagree with the assertion that they are in control in any way.

It's also why, imo, this thread is better left to the economy forum rather than the Conspiracy Forum. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

He was great in "The Lost Boys". :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

He was great in "The Lost Boys". :p

Did he also have a part in Grease Sorry Greece:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Doesnt Sutherland hold the title:

Consultor of the Extraordinary Section of the Administration of the Patrimony of the Apostolic See. I.E Financial Advisor to the Vatican?

Maybe his views on this would be more pertinent

I found a decent article here by Fintan O'Toole regarding Sutherland's suitability to be giving advice
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0511/1224270130001.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

enno99 wrote: »
    Did he also have a part in Grease Sorry Greece:rolleyes:

Think that was the Greeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

In order to expand the CT here, could I suggest that Mr. Sutherlands participation in the Bilderburg Conference earlier this year, along with Paul Gallagher, the AG, and all of Shells top brass has something to do with the campaign against Shells operations in Mayo maybe not receiving as much attention in the media as it should?

Why haven't the calls for the nationalisation of these resources been given more attention?
    And don't tell me it's because it's illegal :mad:

The arguments made previously in this particular thread by some are indeed, IMHO, for the economics forum, where folks can continue to debate how best to rearrange the deckchairs on the Titanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Dunno about anyone else, but I've seen no shortage of media coverage of all aspects of the Shell pipeline dispute for a number of years now. Maybe if you've been living under a rock it'd seem different, but otherwise...?

Why haven't the calls for nationalisarion of mineral deposits been more to the fore? Maybe because we invested sod all in exploring for said mineral deposits so were never likely to find anything without doing a deal with the oil corporations, and it's a bit late now to complain that the terms of those deals were'nt particularly great from a national perspective?

• Advertisement

Pete M. wrote: »
    In order to expand the CT here, could I suggest that Mr. Sutherlands participation in the Bilderburg Conference earlier this year, along with Paul Gallagher, the AG, and all of Shells top brass has something to do with the campaign against Shells operations in Mayo maybe not receiving as much attention in the media as it should?
    It got plenty of media attention. Then they realised the majority of the protesters claiming it was damaging the local environment weren't from the locality at all and were just the usual rent-a-mob nuts.
    Pete M. wrote: »
    Why haven't the calls for the nationalisation of these resources been given more attention?
    And don't tell me it's because it's illegal :mad:
    No, it's because we have neither the means nor the funds to extract it ourselves.

Advertisement