Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature in the News

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 683 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

23 white-tailed eagle chicks to arrive in Kerry from Norway, to be released in August.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2021/0625/1231271-white-tailed-eagle-chicks-kerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

zippy84 wrote: »
    23 white-tailed eagle chicks to arrive
    All to be released in Muster I see. I wonder what max capacity for an area the size of Munster actually is? 23 more seems like a lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Scotty # wrote: »
    All to be released in Muster I see. I wonder what max capacity for an area the size of Munster actually is? 23 more seems like a lot.

Pretty sure it's much higher than the total Irish population is! These birds won't breed for several years and will disperse over that time too, so they're not all going to try and nest in the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://twitter.com/RareBirdAlertUK/status/1409540941271158786

It's good to see Spain taking things seriously, I wish we adopted similar measures here when it came to destruction of nature and endangered animals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

https://twitter.com/RareBirdAlertUK/status/1409540941271158786

It's good to see Spain taking things seriously, I wish we adopted similar measures here when it came to destruction of nature and endangered animals

It seems to be very common in certain parts of European and the middle east where songbirds and migratory birds are killed in huge numbers . There's a page on Facebook that highlights it , the page is Commitee against Bird Slaughter. As the global populations continues to grow nature and wildlife will continue to shrink .I wouldn't be surprised if all that was left in the ocean in 100 years time is jellyfish , and the only birds will be corvids

• Advertisement

yes on our current trajectory there wont be much left soon at all. My brother lives in Malta where they go out in their 1000s every year to blast migratory birds with bullets, they had a referendum on this recently and they voted to keep the practice. We don't deserve this Earth.

Irish government waffle on about biodiversity and the enviorment , then give the go ahead for a 6million pound expansion to salmon farm . Farmed salmon is one of the most enviormentally damaging food going it's sad to see so many people eat it and being totally ignorant to the damage it causes to wild salmon and other sealife and birds

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/salmon-farmers-mowi-permission-new-20948640

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Irish government waffle on about biodiversity and the enviorment , then give the go ahead for a 6million pound expansion to salmon farm
    tbf there's probably tension in the government between the greens (who do bang on about biodiversity) and FG and FF (the latter who do have the ag portfolio and thus are in the driving seat on this issue); in short, the government are sadly not united on this.

tbf there's probably tension in the government between the greens (who do bang on about biodiversity) and FG and FF (the latter who do have the ag portfolio and thus are in the driving seat on this issue); in short, the government are sadly not united on this.

I don't can't stand our politicians , from all parties . They're all full of hot air or just plain self serving who've sold out the Irish people a long time ago .. Do none of the politicans in the region know the damage this farming does, which then has a knock on effect with wild salmon . I read a report a few years ago and every wild salmon caught by a tourist was worth 2000 euro to the local economy . Keep expanding them farms and and you'll have no visiting anglers spending money in the area . I seen it myself with coarse angling . 20 years ago canals in my area were full of English anglers all summer . But with the influx of migration in the early noughties we had loads of people who killed every fish they caught , the English stopped coming which in turn resulted in lose of loss of money for local pubs , chippers and b.n.bs and do you think the politicans or IFI did anything to stop it ....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i read a few years back that each line caught salmon was worth 400 quid to the local economy, and it was salmon being caught at sea (worth 20 quid each to the local economy) which was starving the rivers of salmon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

i read a few years back that each line caught salmon was worth 400 quid to the local economy, and it was salmon being caught at sea (worth 20 quid each to the local economy) which was starving the rivers of salmon.

I wonder was that really true? If we fixed our rivers would be able to make salmon netting sustainable? People were catching billions of river fish with netting in medieval times.

i *think* it may have been in a tim robinson book, one of the connemara trilogy, that i read it. but i'd have to reread the books to confirm, and that's quite a commitment to make.

I wonder was that really true? If we fixed our rivers would be able to make salmon netting sustainable? People were catching billions of river fish with netting in medieval times.

Yes but you didn't have factory ships hoovering up anything that's swims , and there was no fertilizer running into the spawning streams blocking up their spawning beds back then , no weirs blocking their path , no fish farms etc . The only way to fix the rivers would be if you removed all the weirs and ban salmon farms . Theres far more predators like cormorants inland aswell as we've destroyed their prey stocks too. That's not good for salmon parr returning to sea . There's a heap of issues involved with wild salmon but if wild salmon did come back , the demand for it would be to high to be netted sustainably . Man's to greedy to do it right. Here's an link to the size of a salmon that was caught on the Shannon before the dam went up . A 20lb salmon in Ireland a fish of a lifetime today , a hundred years ago they were 10 a penny

https://oldrivershannon.com/2014/10/27/shannon-salmon/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Well to buy a license is a 100 euro , then to fish a beat could cost anything from 20 euro to a couple of hundred for the day . 2 nights in a hotel , b n b or fishing lodge could be from 120 quid to 6 or 7 hundred for fanicer places, pints and dinner in the evening for both nights could be 50 or 60 quid . 20 or 30 quid in a tackle shop . I suppose the variance in spending would be quiet high. Rich anglers would probably spend more fishing better beats and finer accomodation . Even doing it cheap as you can is gonna cost you a couple of hundred euro anyway . Whatever the money is it'll be a huge loss to local economies when the salmon die off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Well to buy a license is a 100 euro , then to fish a beat could cost anything from 20 euro to a couple of hundred for the day . 2 nights in a hotel , b n b or fishing lodge could be from 120 quid to 6 or 7 hundred for fanicer places, pints and dinner in the evening for both nights could be 50 or 60 quid . 20 or 30 quid in a tackle shop . I suppose the variance in spending would be quiet high. Rich anglers would probably spend more fishing better beats and finer accomodation . Even doing it cheap as you can is gonna cost you a couple of hundred euro anyway . Whatever the money is it'll be a huge loss to local economies when the salmon die off

And don't forget! Nine times our of ten, you spend all that money, and catch absolutely nothing lol

Eddie B wrote: »
    And don't forget! Nine times our of ten, you spend all that money, and catch absolutely nothing lol

As I know to well lol I mainly coarse fish so it's not to expensive if ya blank , pint of maggots , half bag of groundbait , drop of molasses and if you're lucky a few tench , you can't beat it on a summers evening !!

The salmon farm will create 8 jobs remember! F*cking sickening allowing that to go ahead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

BirdWatch Ireland are seeking records of Long-eared Owls - see below for info and a link to log any sightings!

https://birdwatchireland.ie/keep-an-ear-out-for-owls-this-summer/

As a species they're very difficult to survey, except for a few weeks during the summer. They're assumed to be common and widespread and doing ok, but the reality is there's no data to back that up! Hopefully the collation of records like this will act as a good starting point for a more comprehensive national survey in the coming years!

there's one poster who should be able to assist!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117597596&postcount=209

• Advertisement

there's one poster who should be able to assist!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117597596&postcount=209

How common are they in Ireland ? I've never seen one , I've only ever seen a barn owl a handful of times aswell.

How common are they in Ireland ? I've never seen one , I've only ever seen a barn owl a handful of times aswell.

They're much more common than Barn Owl believe it or not! Well worth a visit to a nearby woodland (can be a very small woodland even) after dark at this time of year. If they're present, it shouldn't take long until you hear their call!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Egyptian vulture spotted in Ireland for the first time

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57860608

if i saw this on waterford whispers news, i'd assume the guys there were just phoning it in.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/650972/limerick-is-like-the-serengeti-due-to-length-of-roadside-grass.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

🤦‍♀️

i do know a chap who once found an elephant in his garden in clonakilty, so we shouldn't be too dismissive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You only have to look at that clowns record in charge of the OPW to know your dealing with a very primitive mindset that still infests our political class when it comes to such things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Advertisement