Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature in the News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

if you're someone who listens to podcasts, you definitely should listen to the critter shed. comes with an occasional adult humour warning.
    one of the hosts, collie, has probably more pet spiders than anyone else in the country.

https: me. //play.acast.com/s/the-critter-shed

Thank you but no interest in any podcasts. Thankfully, from your description! There are more than enough creepie crawlies out here.... Looking at a huge new cobweb above my bed :eek: Now where it that brush? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

A nice section on Nationwide tonight about how Coillte are planning to change the pine forests in the Dublin Wicklow mountains to native woodlands again. Heard this story earlier in the year, lovely to see it put into action!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'll believe it when I see it. I believe Ballycroy had spectacularly failed to live up to promises.

I don’t really know too much about the backstory. How has it failed? You always have such a great insight!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is from over two years ago, but states that they'd planted ten times as many commercial trees there compared to native species, even after the rewilding project was announced.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/michael-viney-wild-nephin-won-t-work-if-it-is-managed-like-any-other-park-1.3333746

• Advertisement

That was a lovely read for a Friday evening. (I can feel a ‘poetic’ rant coming on, please feel free to skip a few paragraphs, :pac: )

Quote from the article, “Wilderness is where you can gaze to the far horizon without seeing a thing that man hath wrought, or hearing anything but the wind and the birds.....a stillness and tundra-like sense of space, a mystery of mountains, a pristine bowl of stars.”

This genuinely reminds me of my commute in the mornings... As you pass the crest of Muckish Mountain, you’re greeted by the stirring crimson sun over a vast, chestnut coloured, wilderness carpet of heath and heather and if you are ever so lucky, the sight of a young stag, sauntering casually through your ‘motorway’ winding backroad to work.

Now that I’ve channeled my inner Graces7, :p , back to the nitty gritty of the article.

“figures released to the online Green News show that Coillte had planted some 260,000 conifers in the Wild Nephin area since 2014 and harvested about the same amount.
    Most were lodgepole pine, whose tangle of self-regenerating, uneconomic trees had sparked the first thought of Wild Nephin. Coillte also planted just 25,000 native seedlings, mostly birch, rowan and alder.”

Did Coillte ever give an explanation for this? Was there a transition period, to make short term profits maybe, while natives take longer to grow?

“Comparing the Mayo project with wilderness projects in the UK, Spain and America, he urges more direct participation of local communities in Wild Nephin’s official planning team, quoting the success of BurrenBeo in conserving the wild landscape of Co Clare.”

Local support is paramount, I think opinions are changing, I think people are seeing the wider environmental picture.

A highly inspiring experience I’ve had was when visiting New Zealand. They take environmental care to the next level! Their environmental protection program is awe inspiring. In almost every area, they have identified and earmarked a ‘natural, native’ space and stamped it with a green conservation stamp. There is statutory protection in law for these spaces. Every town we visited had such a site, a forest, lake, or natural native space, with toilet, cooking and camping/ accommodation facilities. They had such pride in their heritage.

Wild Nephin, the native forest in the Dublin//Wicklow mountains (and although not entirely forested the old railway track across Muckish Mountain) and so many more stunning natural beauty spots, could have the same status, if our so called ‘green’ government looked a little further afield for inspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

^^^
    Loved your post SnowyMuckish. Don’t ever change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

this is from over two years ago, but states that they'd planted ten times as many commercial trees there compared to native species, even after the rewilding project was announced.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/michael-viney-wild-nephin-won-t-work-if-it-is-managed-like-any-other-park-1.3333746

I wouldn't trust the likes of Coillte or BNM to tell me the time of day when it comes to such things - they appear to be a law onto themselves when it to their ongoing negative impacts on our natural heritage.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust the likes of Coillte or BNM to tell me the time of day when it comes to such things - they appear to be a law onto themselves when it to their ongoing negative impacts on our natural heritage.

I’m genuinely intrigued by your comments and that of Magicbastarder. I have zero inside knowledge but the media spin seems very convincing? I have worked in County Council offices before and saw how they worked. Launch a campaign, invite the media and/or a few politicians (that have zero interest in said cause) for a photo op and grants were approved after, while there was little to show for it.

Still I felt optimistic when I watched Nationwide, was it really that disingenuous?

^^^
    Loved your post SnowyMuckish. Don’t ever change.

We all have an inner rambling eccentric breaking to get loose, or maybe that’s just me. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

same as every govt organisation. different priorities they have,

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

A nice section on Nationwide tonight about how Coillte are planning to change the pine forests in the Dublin Wicklow mountains to native woodlands again. Heard this story earlier in the year, lovely to see it put into action!
    That would be great to see. Would the deer not just eat the saplings though?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

mattcullen wrote: »

There are various types of 'guards' that can be used to help young trees get a start in life.....

Google image
    spiral-tree-guard.jpg

mattcullen wrote: »

When I lived in Leitrim and they planted new forestry, the local famers used to let their sheep in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/dalmatian-pelicans-rewilding-rspb-norfolk-b1724303.html?fbclid=IwAR3Uci-h2xqni67Tr-PpEsA2enX3d06ceqYb9vY0zI4tsZ6uVHsrzTJ-IAM

Exciting times in the UK - just think what could be done here if we could get our Bogs back from the likes of BNM and Coillte!!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/dalmatian-pelicans-rewilding-rspb-norfolk-b1724303.html?fbclid=IwAR3Uci-h2xqni67Tr-PpEsA2enX3d06ceqYb9vY0zI4tsZ6uVHsrzTJ-IAM

Exciting times in the UK - just think what could be done here if we could get our Bogs back from the likes of BNM and Coillte!!

That is a lovely project alright. I would say that bog rehabilitation generally is not suitable for this as the depth of water when rewetting bogs has to be kept to a maximum (I think) between 20-30 cm to allow for the right sphagnum mosses to recolonise. This isn't t say that some areas wont be more suited to wetlands than actual bog rehabilitation- and realistically it will be a combination of different approaches.

Behind the scenes there does appear to be movement by BnM on rehab (thy're following the money), but the problem seems to be that they want to hang on the bulk of the landbank so they can keep tossing wind and solar applications in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Of interest - I've not seen any recent report on the millions of trees planted as part of the Millennium forest project. Where every citizen got a tree certificate for the tree planted for them.

Those forests should now be twenty years old. Afair 'my' tree was somewhere up the Wiclow mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

gozunda wrote: »
    Of interest - I've not seen any recent report on the millions of trees planted as part of the Millennium forest project. Where every citizen got a tree certificate for the tree planted for them.

Those forests should now be twenty years old. Afair 'my' tree was somewhere up the Wiclow mountains.

Those forests were/are conventional Sitka (or similar) plantations, as far as I can remember.
    At year 20, they'd be at or about first thinning stage, so between the racks and selection, 25-33% will be coming out to give the better specimens room to grow.

Edit:
    DISREGARD MUCH OF THE ABOVE!!!
    A bit of rudimentary research tells me that these forests were "native Irish saplings", so I don't know where I got the softwoods thing I wrote above. :o
    So, at year 20, they'll probably have had some formative shaping and their first thinning will, depending on species, be being planned for the fairly near future.
    I'd expect these plantations will be managed under some variation of Continuous Cover.

https://www.millenniumforests.com/index.html

gozunda wrote: »

Thanks Gozunda. I must have been really naive to think we were heading in the right direction for once and doing something positive for a change. :(

Sounds lovely. Stupid question, I can’t think off the top of my head if we have a ‘Wild Life Trust’ type organization here? I know of Birdwatch Ireland but not any general all encompassing organization?

I’d imagine there would be huge opposition to changing bog use here. I come from a turf cutting area, generations of my family have harvested it and worked in peat power stations. The subject of bogs is so divisive, people here are very passionate about their point. I can understand the point of view of heritage and culture that there is as I have lived that ‘side of the fence’.

I burn turf myself, there are a lot of times that I pause as I hold a sod in my hand over the hearth in guilt at what I am doing and what I’m contributing to. But we have no alternative. I’d love to retro fit the house to something more eco friendly but it is quite simply unaffordable.

It would be amazing if we had the same ethos here about our wildlife heritage as in the UK and elsewhere, but I’m getting the impression that even if such a project ever happened it would be much like these native forest projects, empty promises?

• Advertisement

Thanks Gozunda. I must have been really naive to think we were heading in the right direction for once and doing something positive for a change. :(

How do you mean Snowy?

Edit. Must take a look for the tree certificate. I think it detailed the type of tree? But these were definitely native Irish trees which were planted.

Sorry Gozunda, I think I must have mis read your post between screaming kids and barking dogs! I thought you didn’t get a tree.

Did they really plant the trees? I’ve never heard about the scheme or was aware of any cert? Sounds amazing, wouldn’t it be lovely to see what it looks like now?

Sorry Gozunda, I think I must have mis read your post between screaming kids and barking dogs! I thought you didn’t get a tree.

Did they really plant the trees? I’ve never heard about the scheme or was aware of any cert? Sounds amazing, wouldn’t it be lovely to see what it looks like now?

Over 1,200,000 native Irish saplings were planted in the Millennium Forests. Certs were sent out to all households in 2000 I think.

I've tried to access the millennium forest website and its giving me an error message?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Buzzard apparently shot in Emo, County Laois last Saturday morning.

See story below:

https://www.midlands103.com/news/midlands-news/investigation-underway-after-endangered-bird-shot-in-laois/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

NPWS appeals for information about buzzard shooting
    http://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/1209/1183425-buzzard-shot/

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

IrishHomer wrote: »

Not in anyway lessening the crime, but I find it hard to continue reading when 'lazy journalism' throws up a picture of a Peregrine.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Marsh Harriers confirmed breeding in Ireland for first time since 1917. Bred in Galway and Westmeath during 2020.

https://twitter.com/IrishRaptorSG/status/1338945158239428609

Advertisement