Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood Empire

Options
  • 22-09-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to start up a new business in Limerick. I'm trying to track down the guy that owned Hollywood empire in workspace/Thomas st. He had a couple of things that I'm struggling to find suppliers for!! Does anybody know this guy or what he has moved onto?? All help appreciated!!

Cheers,

Tux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Did not know the guy myself other than calling into him a few times
    looking at stuff. Not sure if that guy ever managed to sell on his stock
    he may have Loads of it lying about the place.

Are you setting up a shop/business that sells similar items ?
    Would love to see another forbidden planet/Gadgety/movie/model/weird and wonderful knick knack types of places open up here.

unfortunately most places like this that open a physical bricks and mortar store usually have completely overpriced items and always got them impression they struggled to stay open. Would be cool though!

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

bullets wrote: »
    Did not know the guy myself other than calling into him a few times
    looking at stuff. Not sure if that guy ever managed to sell on his stock
    he may have Loads of it lying about the place.

Are you setting up a shop/business that sells similar items ?
    Would love to see another forbidden planet/Gadgety/movie/model/weird and wonderful knick knack types of places open up here.

unfortunately most places like this that open a physical bricks and mortar store usually have completely overpriced items and always got them impression they struggled to stay open. Would be cool though!

~B

Yep overpriced is being mild to be honest.

I tried using the Gathering for Graphic novels for a few years but their prices are/were a total joke.

Even taking currency conversion and P&P into account, I could order the same stuff from the UK for anything between half to a third of the price.

I loved the Forbidden Planet store that was in Limerick years ago, and when that shut there was a little coffee shop/comic place on Denmark street if memory serves right that had a blonde girl running it who was simply stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Right now all I can think of is The Gathering on Lower Gerald Griffin Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Kess73 wrote: »
    there was a little coffee shop/comic place on Denmark street if memory serves right that had a blonde girl running it who was simply stunning.

Biblios, great little spot.

foinse wrote: »
    Biblios, great little spot.

That the one. Could not think of the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Not quite sure if he used to just re sell or have the same supplier as www.battleorders.co.uk but they used to (I cant check the site from my current location) stock the same stuff as himself. (movie replicas wise)

Would love to see another shop like this open up, would be a great hit for christmas. The sort of customer you'd get in there would be repeat business and friendly to deal with too. Always loved the atmoshpere in hollywood empire or forbidden planet, they'd take it as a compliment if you were browsing and not an insult.

Might also be an idea to just go to the polish shop thats there now, just be friendly and ask if they would mind letting you know who the landlord is? If you can contact them and just be honest, let them know your looking to set up a business similar to one that was in that unit and your aware all past tenant records are confidential but if they wouldnt mind forwarding on your contact details to him? Even better if they have offices in the city and just ask politely face to face?
    Hope you manage to get it going anyway. A mate of mine used to work in forbiden planet and may know some supplier sources, will send him on the link to this thread and see if he can help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I don't want to put a downer on this thread but...

Hollywood Empire - Closed
    Biblios - Closed
    Forbidden Planet - Closed

That should tell you all you need to know about the viability of such a business in Limerick.

RonMexico wrote: »

Biblios - Closed

That should tell you all you need to know about the viability of such a business in Limerick.

Probably true alright.

Galway, Cork, Dublin etc all seem to be able to have stores that cater for the market, but Limerick never seems to be able to cater for the same markets for one reason or another.

What I have found from personal experience is that the Limerick stores that were there in the past were always much more expensive for the same things than stores in the locations I mentioned, and those locations were again more expensive than online.

Funny thing is that there is a comic/games/model shop in the Paul Street mall in Cork, and I have often ran into Limerick folk when I have been there, and the same has happened many times in the Galway store as well.

I dont own any comics, Cant stand dice rolling tabletopgaming, hate Larping and
    other sorts of roleplay, usually dont go for the cheap nasty crude fantasy swords and kit rae ****e,
    but I do have a fondness for painting models, and have a compulsive habit of collecting
    stuff and LOVE these type of shops. Went through a phase when the Lord of the Rings films
    came out of collecting polystone busts from Weta/Sideshow, (even bought a sword) and bought
    hundreds of those Lord of the rings 25mm models to paint, and got into a hobby of painting
    and making terrain even though I hated and had no interest in the gameplay element of the hobby.

What may survive is a nice big shop for freaks n geeks! :D
    and arty types, something that takes the sterotypical elements from cross-over interests of nerdy/arty types.

Forbidden Planet had Comics/Graphic Novels, Movie, sci-fi stuff. And sold art from people that drew and painted.

The Gathering has models, Railway/Train stuff, warhammer gaming thing.

M sign had craft materials like balsa wood, foamcore that other model /gaming stores did not stock. But was used
    by model makers and gamers.

O'Mahoneys had graphic novels at one stage.

Hollywood empire had movie/tv memorbillia, fantasy swords etc. Collectables.

Easons and Empire music were the places to go if you
    wanted Posters years ago.

MMmaad and the other head shops sometimes had unusual cool gadgets unfortunatly they also attracted
    stoners and scumbags looking for legal highs, fluffy steering wheels, crossbows, and Elvis mirrors.

If all these were combined (without the headshop element) into one store it may attract enough interest to stay open and make some money.

In Cork I think it was forgotten Realms that that sold
    all sorts of comics/board games/warhammer/lord of the rings/swords/chess sets/TV/Manga stuff and also was
    a web cafe. Although the store is CRAP now compared to years ago, its survived and is still going strong.

There was a Magic Store in Galway that survived for years
    selling Science stuff like the levitating spinning tops, slinkys, arty stuff, holograms, magic tricks and other weird toys. Not sure if its still open or not.

Galway had a gaming/model store which was tiny in what
    looked like a desserted shopping center, it was the only place I could find (not online) that had a healthy supply of
    Model Metal used to cast things, and was always busy with
    customers.

Dublins forbidden Planet was fantastic and the Games workshop is almost cult like with is regulars and is a gold mine.

~B

I dont own any comics, Cant stand dice rolling tabletopgaming, hate Larping and
    other sorts of roleplay, usually dont go for the cheap nasty crude fantasy swords and kit rae ****e,
    but I do have a fondness for painting models, and have a compulsive habit of collecting
    stuff and LOVE these type of shops. Went through a phase when the Lord of the Rings films
    came out of collecting polystone busts from Weta/Sideshow, (even bought a sword) and bought
    hundreds of those Lord of the rings 25mm models to paint, and got into a hobby of painting
    and making terrain even though I hated and had no interest in the gameplay element of the hobby.

What may survive is a nice big shop for freaks n geeks! :D
    and arty types, something that takes the sterotypical elements from cross-over interests of nerdy/arty types.

Forbidden Planet had Comics/Graphic Novels, Movie, sci-fi stuff. And sold art from people that drew and painted.

The Gathering has models, Railway/Train stuff, warhammer gaming thing.

M sign had craft materials like balsa wood, foamcore that other model /gaming stores did not stock. But was used
    by model makers and gamers.

O'Mahoneys had graphic novels at one stage.

Hollywood empire had movie/tv memorbillia, fantasy swords etc. Collectables.

Easons and Empire music were the places to go if you
    wanted Posters years ago.

MMmaad and the other head shops sometimes had unusual cool gadgets unfortunatly they also attracted
    stoners and scumbags looking for legal highs, fluffy steering wheels, crossbows, and Elvis mirrors.

If all these were combined (without the headshop element) into one store it may attract enough interest to stay open and make some money.

In Cork I think it was forgotten Realms that that sold
    all sorts of comics/board games/warhammer/lord of the rings/swords/chess sets/TV/Manga stuff and also was
    a web cafe. Although the store is CRAP now compared to years ago, its survived and is still going strong.

There was a Magic Store in Galway that survived for years
    selling Science stuff like the levitating spinning tops, slinkys, arty stuff, holograms, magic tricks and other weird toys. Not sure if its still open or not.

Galway had a gaming/model store which was tiny in what
    looked like a desserted shopping center, it was the only place I could find (not online) that had a healthy supply of
    Model Metal used to cast things, and was always busy with
    customers.

Dublins forbidden Planet was fantastic and the Games workshop is almost cult like with is regulars and is a gold mine.

~B

Don't forget that there is a decent model shop just off of the end of Oliver Plunkett street in Cork too, which does decent business and attractsquite a few people from Limerick as it has a much bigger range of models than the Gathering ever had and is a bit cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Don't forget that there is a decent model shop just off of the end of Oliver Plunkett street in Cork too, which does decent business and attractsquite a few people from Limerick as it has a much bigger range of models than the Gathering ever had and is a bit cheaper.

That would be marks models i think

phill106 wrote: »
    That would be marks models i think

That's the place.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

That's the place.:)

Kess, starting to get a bit worried about you. Getting a bit forgetful in your old age? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

A lot of my friends are huge into warhammer and I know for a fact they are not too fond of going to the gathering ( they dont get along with owner ) so if a new store opened with warhammer stuff for sale I believe there would be a business in this.

Myself if there was Marvel collectables for sale I would defo be in there buying this.

foinse wrote: »
    Kess, starting to get a bit worried about you. Getting a bit forgetful in your old age? ;):D

It's living in the same area as Raiser that has my poor mind in tatters. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tuxedo

Yeah guys thanks for the replies. Basically I'm hoping for model figures / collectors items on the likes of tv/cartoon characters. Simpsons, toy story, horror movies, also famous celebrity items like Ali and bond items. I've also decided that I'll have a area for backpacks and bags. I'm in discussions with Disney distributors and also WWE. I've recently got the go ahead from Ed Hardy to supply me with a range of backpacks so things are slowly getting there!! I have a problem with some of the suppliers for movie memorabilia, they are very expensive, so that's why I wanted to get try find Hollywood empire guy!!

Thanks!!

Cool, Good Luck with the venture. Nice to hear of news
    of maybe a new place opening.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Any ideas on a location yet? Would like to keep an eye out for it.

(Oh I remeber hollywood empire stocked these too, dropped a few hundred on one cause they are so awsome! Might wanna consider it.. www.force-fx.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

tuxedo wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to start up a new business in Limerick. I'm trying to track down the guy that owned Hollywood empire in workspace/Thomas st. He had a couple of things that I'm struggling to find suppliers for!! Does anybody know this guy or what he has moved onto?? All help appreciated!!

Cheers,

Tux

Fair play for having the balls to start a company, i hope it does well and takes off for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Andy was the guy who owned and ran Hollywood empire, he used to sell at the carboot that was held in Thomas street, that moved down to Barringtons carpark but I havent been there since it moved, so Im not sure if hes down there or not.

There is also a guy living in Pallaskenry in Co.Limerick that sells the same merchandise but again he's exact address slips me mind

I do know where the house is....in the housing estate at the end of the town...called An Curran think its no 5-6 on rite hand side...might be worth asking on the county board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

hi tux, i know andy (hollywood empire) spoke to him earlier & told him to check out your thread & he should get in touch with you

• Registered Users Posts: 7 topdollar

hey Tux , this is Andy , I used to own Hollywood Empire .. what you looking for ?

RonMexico wrote: »

Biblios - Closed

sad but true , small retailers pay higher prices to mid level suppliers for small quantities of merchandise and shipping in , also mostly in sterling which is a killer .. wish I could have stayed open but the market faded and rent, rates, insurance , electric, internet , phone and actually paying myself something each month didn't get easier , overheads will destroy your soul :) ... some days were busy , some where no one came through the door .. but thats running a business in Limerick ...

as i have a chance to say something here, all those who went through the doors at my shop deserve thanks for keeping something different alive in Limerick city , and it was cool to just chat movies with the lads all day ... cheers...

ps - a few ads on adverts if anyone is interested ..

You must have a small fortune of a collection!
    I remember a full scale Sauron Helmet at one stage
    which would fetch a pretty penny.

Even a lot of the UK online Stores that sell stuff like this are
    expensive, Dont know how the existing shops in Ireland survive. Lot of stuff I bought over the years I ordered from the states or china and it was a little easier on the pocket than the UK.

Anyone remember this guy in the UK, he ran out of
    space at home! (I've currently two rooms in my house that are taken over with stuff I've collected need to try and stop
    buying stuff)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1207198/Movie-buff-sell-amazing-1m-collection-memorabilia-huge-storage-cost.html

~B

You must have a small fortune of a collection!
    I remember a full scale Sauron Helmet at one stage
    which would fetch a pretty penny.

Even a lot of the UK online Stores that sell stuff like this are
    expensive, Dont know how the existing shops in Ireland survive. Lot of stuff I bought over the years I ordered from the states or china and it was a little easier on the pocket than the UK.

Anyone remember this guy in the UK, he ran out of
    space at home! (I've currently two rooms in my house that are taken over with stuff I've collected need to try and stop
    buying stuff)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1207198/Movie-buff-sell-amazing-1m-collection-memorabilia-huge-storage-cost.html

~B

Hey Bullets :)

I have 3 Sauron Helms left :) but think I will be keeping one for myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

topdollar wrote: »
    sad but true , small retailers pay higher prices to mid level suppliers for small quantities of merchandise and shipping in , also mostly in sterling which is a killer .. wish I could have stayed open but the market faded and rent, rates, insurance , electric, internet , phone and actually paying myself something each month didn't get easier , overheads will destroy your soul :) ... some days were busy , some where no one came through the door .. but thats running a business in Limerick ...

as i have a chance to say something here, all those who went through the doors at my shop deserve thanks for keeping something different alive in Limerick city , and it was cool to just chat movies with the lads all day ... cheers...

ps - a few ads on adverts if anyone is interested ..

Hey good to know you are still kicking:D Bought many an item off you back in the day. I know that business conditions in Limerick are dire so I feel your pain regarding rates and overheads. Its a shame that shops like yours and many others had to go.

Good luck with whatever you're doing now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭anti_c

:)open a shop in limerick city is DOOMED better of drink your money in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Imbatman

Hi folks,i used to work in forbidden planet patrick st,and think i kept the shop going with the amount of stuff i bought in roches st but unfortunately it closed due to rent rates etc,the owner of the store was a scottish fella named kenny who had a sweet deal with the gap jeans shop,he was rent free but had a falling out over something stupid and moved whole lot out to roches st and only lasted a few years,some sound people came in and worked there,tracey,shay,etc,and des...rip dessie.fair play andy for staying open as long as you did,for a few years now i have wanted to open a shop in town but saw how tough overheads are and have fought the urge...so far :D a mate is interested in starting up and was saying about splitting the bills but even then its a tough option.We all could do with another comic/toy/hobby shop here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Would it be worth your while checking out Castletroy as a location? There's a glut of empty commercial places near the University who I suspect would be prime Market for your products.
    There's one spot in particular next to BOI across from the main UL gates that's vacant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Imbatman

no if i were to do it i would stay in town,castletroy is struggling just as bad as in town but my pal would be doing a 50/50 and seeing as he has an established business already i would be getting a rent free deal and do profit sharing with him which would work out a lot healthier financially for me,i understand what you are saying about u.l but students dont have a lot of expendable income and summer months would finish the shop as you would have 12 weeks of struggling to make a sale.

Advertisement