Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom conspiracy

Options
  • 22-09-2010 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Last Tuesday phone services went down for around 5 hours for a huge number of Imagine Telecom customers, Eircom customers were unaffected...

I'm not looking for the reason for the issue, but is it permissable to theorise that Eircom deliberately cut off services to a rival companies customers?

They have control over the countries telephone wires, what's stopping them?

:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Last Tuesday phone services went down for around 5 hours for a huge number of Imagine Telecom customers, Eircom customers were unaffected...

I'm not looking for the reason for the issue, but is it permissable to theorise that Eircom deliberately cut off services to a rival companies customers?

They have control over the countries telephone wires, what's stopping them?

:pac:

I'm almost certain a contract would prevent Eircom from deliberately doing this. I'd say Imagine are looking into it and if it is foul play it will end up in either a warning, settlement or court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pretentiouslad

well... maybe... but, Eircom could theoretically have sabotaged the whole thing, couldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Course yeah. It's not like a company that big just does it for de laaaff though, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

Didn't that happen before with Perlico a good few years ago? I can't remember the exact events, but they were using Eircom's lines too.
    I'm not sure about my info though so I can't really say much, but from what I can remember, a good few people who went over to perlico were being cut off suddenly, or overcharged, etc.

The conspiracy here might stand up if it was part of a larger pattern, but all there is is...
    the Perlico thing,
    the 1-800 thing,
    this Imagine thing,
    the Piratebay thing,
    hidden contract things,
    exaggerated broadband speed claims,
    overcharging
    ... and whatever else someone with more time can dig up.

Unless someone in Eircom (or anywhere else for that matter) blows the whistle or leaks a few emails or something, there is little real evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, Imagine are sh*te, so that could be the reason. :D

But I remember there were problems with, I think it was Smart when they started up. Eircom were dragging their heels with moving peoples lines over and people were getting cut off from time to time. Eircom would just claim to be incredibly busy and not able to work any faster.

And once people were on Smart, they'd get "supposedly" cold called from Eircom asking if they wanted to switch back. But if they were really just cold calling, how was it that they were only targeting Smart customers?

When Smart went bust and people were forced to move back to Eircom, the switch took minutes as opposed to the weeks it took to move away from them.

So in summary, Eircom are a bunch of c*nts who f*ck over their users and those who aren't users. So I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they're up to their old tricks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

humanji wrote: »
    Well, Imagine are sh*te, so that could be the reason. :D

But I remember there were problems with, I think it was Smart when they started up. Eircom were dragging their heels with moving peoples lines over and people were getting cut off from time to time. Eircom would just claim to be incredibly busy and not able to work any faster.

And once people were on Smart, they'd get "supposedly" cold called from Eircom asking if they wanted to switch back. But if they were really just cold calling, how was it that they were only targeting Smart customers?

When Smart went bust and people were forced to move back to Eircom, the switch took minutes as opposed to the weeks it took to move away from them.

So in summary, Eircom are a bunch of c*nts who f*ck over their users and those who aren't users. So I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they're up to their old tricks.

It was Smart and your 100% right on all counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

humanji wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I switched from eircom a few months ago as I could get the same package €20 cheaper elsewhere and eircom are crap to deal with anyway. A few days after switching over and getting my final eircom bill my service was mysteriously cut off for about 4 hours. No phone or internet. I see a pattern here.

Oh and BTW, my final eircom bill was in credit of about €90 - I still haven't got the money off them, they're too busy to process it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

god, yeah lets shoot eircom here.. ha ha...

firstly on pricing.... eircoms prices are not set by eircom... they are set by the regulator.. the regulators job is to keep eircoms prices high to encourage customers to other providers.. all in the name of competition....

A lot of Eircom senior managment would jump at the chance to undercut the competitors on price..

Also Eircom is split in two companies, eircom wholesale and eircom resale in essence.... two very seperate companies, wholesale owns the network and sells lines and broadband to providers such as imagine and perlico and also to eircom retail....

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

robtri wrote: »

firstly on pricing.... eircoms prices are not set by eircom... they are set by the regulator.. the regulators job is to keep eircoms prices high to encourage customers to other providers.. all in the name of competition....

A lot of Eircom senior managment would jump at the chance to undercut the competitors on price..

Also Eircom is split in two companies, eircom wholesale and eircom resale in essence.... two very seperate companies, wholesale owns the network and sells lines and broadband to providers such as imagine and perlico and also to eircom retail....

Comreg are as corrupt as Eircom.

My brother done sales for eircom part time when he was in college, back when it was only mostly Irish people working for them. Went out with them a few times. Dishonesty is part of the job description, a truly disgusting company. He was encouraged to lie, to grind whatever measly increase he could squeeze out from them; even from pensioners and people on the dole. There is all kinds of shenaningans going on in there and customer service regard you, the customer as a joke. Promise you.

The fact that so many accept Eircom is a sign of everything that is wrong with Ireland IMO.

Anyone know if they ever gave AMDOCS the billing contract? Cos if they did they are listening to you...

• Advertisement

Comreg are as corrupt as Eircom.

My brother done sales for eircom part time when he was in college, back when it was only mostly Irish people working for them. Went out with them a few times. Dishonesty is part of the job description, a truly disgusting company. He was encouraged to lie, to grind whatever measly increase he could squeeze out from them; even from pensioners and people on the dole. There is all kinds of shenaningans going on in there and customer service regard you, the customer as a joke. Promise you.

The fact that so many accept Eircom is a sign of everything that is wrong with Ireland IMO.

Anyone know if they ever gave AMDOCS the billing contract? Cos if they did they are listening to you...

never said they where a nice company.....

just giving the reasons to others questions....
    all sales guys push the envelope and tell porkies... as to squeezing money strange that when they sales guy doesnt set the price, comreg does...

never said they where a nice company.....

just giving the reasons to others questions....
    all sales guys push the envelope and tell porkies... as to squeezing money strange that when they sales guy doesnt set the price, comreg does...

It's not strange if you don't jump to conclusions. What he was telling me was that they were encouraged to call up OAP's who never make calls and the like and tell them for example this 40 quid package http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1483346025.1285189765@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadelhljfgficefeceiedffndffj.0&cid=TTUKMoreInfo&site=Res&chanId=-536889574

is cheaper than just the line rental. Eircom have ****ed me over a few times as well. When I first got broadband they signed me up for some sky sports crap that I hadn't a breeze about, it was about a tenner a month, cleverly they only charge you the 30/40 euro's or whatever each quarter so I didn't notice it for about two years. What else?...Some girl rang me up one day and said they were upgrading the broadband, grand I said and that was that. About 6 months later I noticed that my broadband charges had gone up without notice. Called their customer service, after about 45 minutes on the phone I found out that the upgrade was "Just a free trial" for a month or two, can't remember which and it continues on after the "trial" unless I cancel it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

But does the regulator set the astronomical line rental fee? I don't think so. This is more of a rip off than their astronomical call charges to mobile phones.

zipzoc wrote: »
    But does the regulator set the astronomical line rental fee? I don't think so. This is more of a rip off than their astronomical call charges to mobile phones.

the line rental fee is set by eircom whoelsale... the different company to eircom retail who charge you so much... who prices are set by the regulator to be high.... hard to grasp that i know... it not eircom ripping you off its the government trying to encourage competition in the market, cause Eircom have too much of a market share

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

eircom are great

the line rental fee is set by eircom whoelsale... the different company to eircom retail who charge you so much... who prices are set by the regulator to be high.... hard to grasp that i know... it not eircom ripping you off its the government trying to encourage competition in the market, cause Eircom have too much of a market share

Do you o wn Eircom or something? You sound like a spokesperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

I don't think it's a CT, but for once I'm on the 'CT' side. Eircom are poo!

Do you o wn Eircom or something? You sound like a spokesperson.

no interest in Eircom, just relating the facts so people understand how things work.

Advertisement