Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom scam : Hidden 12 month contact after 2 month trial

Options
  • 09-11-2004 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Sneaky feckers, the first I read about this was when I was cancelling .... You will automatically be entering into a 12 month broadband contract if you don't cancel within 2 months.... Never again Eircom.

http://mmm.eircom.ie/cancel/cancel.asp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Within 2 months not after 2 months .......anyone starting now could have a spot of bother trying to cancel at christmas.

Eircom will not work 25 26 27 28 Dec or 3 Jan so you better cancel before then.

If you are worried about a 12 month contract sting then make sure you email phil.nolan@eircom.ie WITHIN the 2 month trial and tell him you wanna cancel when the trial is over.

Also note carefully where the modem is to be sent (and whether you must use original packaging) and how long you have to send it back to Eircom . Use SDS registered post to get proof of sending.

HTH

M

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Thanks for the advice and the email address.

They hid this so well that one only becomes aware of this once you want to cancel.Their web form gives you no receipt or email to prove you cancelled before the 2 month deadline. Chancers....

When you mail Phil.Nolan@eircom.ie then cc it to Bobby.Hannon@comreg.ie at the same time. Insist they BOTH acknowledge receipt of the email ...I would worry more about Bobby than Phil TBH .

Make it clear that you are mailing Phil and Bobby as there is no proof of cancellation of DSL trial mechanism on the Eircom website. Link the URL of the ofending page if it is an mmm.eircom.ie page . Otherwise tell them where the page is in the format www.eircom.ie > about us > activities from the left hand menu options.

Comreg cannot say that they were not aware that there is no receipt or proof of cancelation .....Bobby is the head of consumer affairs. Seeing as you went to the trouble of mailing them that should be proof enough if there is an issue afterwards.

What is the story on the modem return ...in case someone else reads this thread and quakes with fheeur :)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

It is a little extreme to say that Eircom are hiding the 12 month contract clause after the 2 months. This is clearly stated in the T&C's on their main broadband page. If people don't bother to read what they are signing up for, then that is rather silly. However, cancelling Eircom Broadband is another minefield altogether. At least the 2 month trial people can do so online just before their 2 months are up. I'm coming up to the end of a 12 month contract and there is no procedure whatsoever for cancelling. You basically have to ring 1800 503 303 close to the time and hope for the best.

douglasman wrote:
    It is a little extreme to say that Eircom are hiding the 12 month contract clause after the 2 months. This is clearly stated in the T&C's on their main broadband page.
    It's not clearly stated anywhere.Their advertising campaign is misleading and mentions nothing about you being tied to a 12 month contract at the end of the 2 months.If fact it claims no hassle, no contract. What they should really say is "enjoy 2 months free and then try your best to cancel because if you don't we will rope you into another 12 months".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DannyD wrote:
    It's not clearly stated anywhere.Their advertising campaign is misleading and mentions nothing about you being tied to a 12 month contract at the end of the 2 months.If fact it claims no hassle, no contract. What they should really say is "enjoy 2 months free and then try your best to cancel because if you don't we will rope you into another 12 months".

I am no lover of Eircom believe me but it is clearly stated on their sign up page and it appears that you have to acknowledge reading the T&C's before you can proceed.
    eircom net Terms & Conditions

eircom agrees to make available to the Customer the Facility described below on the following Terms and Conditions:

· Promotional dates are 24th August to 20th December inclusive.

· No contract with eircom until after the two-month free trial.

· Customer gets two months rental free irrespective of when they sign up within the promotional period.

· Customers can cease the service at any point during the two-month free trial period without incurring the early cease charge.

· Customer must complete details on web-form to opt out of free trial.

· Customers’ service will be cancelled within 1 day once they request to opt-out.

· In the event of a cease request, eircom will contact the customer requesting that the modem kit is returned within 14 days. Failure to return the modem kit will result in eircom charging customers a non-return of modem charge of eur 145.20 inc VAT / eur 120 ex VAT.

· Customers who do not wish to retain the service after the two-month free trial period must contact eircom to opt-out before the end of the trial. Otherwise the customer will be automatically signed up to a 12-month minimum contract period.

· Usage of the service after the two-month free trial is deemed acceptance of the terms & conditions.

· If the trial customer requires a technician to install the broadband service they will incur a once-off charge of eur 99 inc VAT/ eur 81.81 ex VAT.

· If the customer is migrating from ISDN they will incur a once-off connection charge of eur 25.00 inc VAT/ eur 20.65 ex. VAT.

· If customer migrates from ISDN and wishes to migrate back to ISDN after the trial period, the lead time of standard HiSpeed/ISDN Migration will apply.

Theh Bold emphasis is mine not Eircom's! I agree that advertisments should put more emphasis on key T&C's - has anyone ever seen an advertisment for Broadband that mentioned contention other than in very very small print?

ok thanks for the info. That info wasn't there when I signed up via telephone and no one mentioned it.I also received a welcome letter when I started my trial and nothing about an 12 month contact after 2 months is mentioned (I can scan these in if necessary).If you read the terms and conditions booklet they also send amungst the 8 pages of small font , section 3.1 mentions this 12 month extension. Perhaps it's clearer now and the web page uses bold but if you order by phone be warned. No one in Eircom mentions this, the ads dont, the welcome letters dont.... read the small print , especially section 3.1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭visigoth

If you signup for the trial in one of Eircom's retail agents, like Carphone Warehouse or 3G, they clearly state that their is a 12month contract after the 2month trial.

Eircom ALSO send out a letter to anyone within the trial, reminding them if they want to cancel they need to do so before a certain date.

A warning though... if you are on the trial, you will be unable to take any other TRIAL offers from any other line based broadband service... the trial begins when your DSL signal is ACTIVATED, so make sure to ring Eircom when you recieve the modem to find out the date they are to activate you.... also, make sure to cancel a few days before the end of your trial, because it can take a day or two before the DSL is disconnected, dont risk that at all because Eircom are difficult to deal with over the phone when problems like that arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

DannyD wrote:
    Sneaky feckers, the first I read about this was when I was cancelling .... You will automatically be entering into a 12 month broadband contract if you don't cancel within 2 months.... Never again Eircom.

http://mmm.eircom.ie/cancel/cancel.asp

christ stop Moaning take the 2 month free trial and then put a note in your diary to canx it before the 2 months is up .... if you are 2 miserable to pay for the bloody service

Sorry DannyD but I come on here and read about people moaning and complaining every day do a little research next time or go to esat see ehat they can do for you,

the Guru wrote:
    christ stop Moaning take the 2 month free trial and then put a note in your diary to canx it before the 2 months is up .... if you are 2 miserable to pay for the bloody service

It appears that you are now the one moaning.If you have nothing constructive to say don't bother saying anything troll.

• Advertisement

visigoth wrote:
    Eircom ALSO send out a letter to anyone within the trial, reminding them if they want to cancel they need to do so before a certain date..
    Not for me at least , I never got a reminder letter and my trial ended last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭visigoth

DannyD wrote:
    Not for me at least , I never got a reminder letter and my trial ended last week.

Then make a complaint to Eircom. Although, it is my understanding that there is no clause saying they HAVE to send you the notice... but I am aware that other people HAVE recieved this. I guess you are just un-fortunate.

Who does he complain to Visigoth ? Name Number Email address ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

It appears that you are now the one moaning.If you have nothing constructive to say don't bother saying anything troll.

No Danny Im not moaning just deal with the situation that they have a 12 month contract this has been mentioned many many times on this board if you dont want the service DO NOT TAKE IT ...... case closed

also eircom dont send out a letter they should have advised you at the start when you took up the offer and its up to you to canx

Advertisement