Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Channels [NO DISCUSSION -NAME / FREQUENCY/ LCN / LAUNCH DATE ONLY]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Not on satellite but Virgin Media Four launching tomorrow (Aug 24th) on Saorview ch7 and Virgin ch 10

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s not on satellite though, so we might not discuss it further here. Plenty of talk in the VM thread on Broadcasting.

As for EarthX that launches on Sky 180 on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I read that EarthxTV is a new channel that focuses on climate change, sustainability and biodiversity. It will interest those who follow the environment as a major topic of discussion. I watched some of it last week talking about something on animal biodiversity. I thought it was informative stuff.

However the timing was very short during the overnight schedule. It lasted about 10 to 15 minutes per programme.

I don't know if longer form programming is a bigger focus for the channel. But it should become the norm for any viewer living here or in the UK to actually try to keep them watching it in their own homes throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭PGE1970

As the football league highlights have moved from Quest to ITV4 😡, does anyone know if you can get ITV4 HD on UK freeview over here?

I can't find any transponder listing online for the HD version but I think that it is HD in the UK on freeview?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

It’s encrypted Afaik. It’s HD on Sky but not free to air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ITV 4 HD is a subscription channel only available on Sky UK and Virgin Media in the UK.

There is a late night repeat on ITV Network, I think? Might suit and in HD. Edit: it’s at 11:45pm so quite late.

Thanks all re ITV4 HD.

What a pity it's moved from Quest which was an excellent presentation. I can catch the HD version on ITV1 on Sunday mornings also.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Or hope that your team gets promoted to the Premiership soon !!

I'm a Drogheda United & Liverpool supporter but have always watched the football league highlights especially as so many Irish and ex-League of Ireland lads are playing in it.

I also like Colin Murray who presented the show on quest. He was excellent. The new one is a bit "meh" and in SD but it'll have to do!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

EarthX TV has now launched and is still FTA if anyone is interested 11670 H 23000 2/3 DVB-S2 8PSK

Oh, and its HD. VM take note 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Itv4 I hd is exclusive to sky and virgin in the UK at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I see the Channel 4 HD regions have appeared on satellite now. Encrypted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

They will turn FTA before they launch, with the exception of the ROI version, as the SD version is encrypted

Freesat EPG data was added to the remaining testing regions https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/comment/101552208#Comment_101552208

5 Testing Regions of Channel 4 HD were added to the Test Freesat EPG today - https://www.satellite-calculations.com/DVB/log_freesat.php

So they should launch along with the ROI version in the coming days on Sky too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Is there a way (such as via a special postcode) to access the test EPG? Or are they just found by Linux boxes or dumping the stream and the like?

There must be, but I don't know it. There was talk about that on Digital Spy recently but no one confirmed how it's accessed

I just use the link above to see the Freesat EPG changes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The remaining Channel 4 HD regions, which is apparently including one for The Republic of Ireland, will be launched this Tuesday the 27th of September.

It will be on 104 on Sky/Freesat within England & Scotland. Freesat will have it on 106 in Wales.

It says here that Channel 4 HD for Ireland will be on 135 on Sky customers here from Tuesday. I could be assuming that this is the encrypted version like C4 Ireland in SD. It will have Irish adverts on it. Although is this allocation for Channel 4 Northern Ireland in HD or is that region available on Freesat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I think it's important to highlight ITV 4 SD is available on Virgin Media Ireland and fully recordable. Yes they do still block some sports due to rights issues but not as much as a few years ago.

All of the Channel 4 regions are launching in their appropriate areas and Wales on Tuesday, that includes both the NI and ROI versions.

In summary for customers with HD swap entitlement (reverse if not)

In England, Scotland, and NI (customer location appropriate region) - HD 104, SD 804

In Ireland (Republic of Ireland region) - HD 135, SD 829

In Wales (South of England region) - HD 108 SD 829

Yes the ROI version is encrypted to allow for programmes to be blocked - although they don’t need to use the CAS system to block programmes any more, they can just substitute the programme on the feed, and indeed they’re using this latter method for Nations League Football which they substitute with an animated caption saying “This programme is not available in your area”. (Fair dues to them, they had a caption “Not available in ROI” when promo-ing it whereas in the old days they wouldn’t tell you).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Ok but the question was specifically about ITV 4 HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Fair enough but you did mention Virgin Media in the UK carried ITV 4 HD so I thought it worth a mention that Virgin Media Ireland also had the channel albeit in SD. Not trying to offend - all good lertsnim.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

All very silly indeed given that anyone with an FTA or Freesat box can watch whatever regional feed they like, with no blocking.

Life ain't always empty.

Silly? For Channel 4 it’s a very important point, they sell advertisements regionally, they need to ensure viewers in the right areas get the right adverts, or their BARB ratings are meaningless. As a commercial TV company their product is advertising and although unlike all others they are underwritten by the Treasury, they need to ensure the right viewers see the right adverts. That’s their bread and butter. This change will give Sky viewers in the U.K. HD by default for the first time; viewers in ROI HD at all.

All the regional feeds show the same programmes. There’s no regional variations.

Blocking of programmes in ROI is rare now, it happens once in a blue moon. The England games are a rare instance and I don’t know why their blocked and Premier Sports are okay - it may be that VMTV value the England portion of their rights deal particularly high.

CH4 HD regions now FTA see https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119666735/#Comment_119666735 for tuning details.

In practice I don't think there is any difference other than localised advertising.

BBC2 NI HD sid 1200 has moved TP before it even got properly going to :-

12168 V 27500 2/3 DVB-S2, 8PSK

There is also SID 1199 intended for RoI although I can't see the sense in tuning that one in case it has blockages

Probably not blockages- least I’ve never seen any on any BBC channel (they can’t, they’re free to air). More likely the red button prompt removed.

Correct, the only difference between 1199 and 1200 is the Red Button prompt. It's the exact same for BBC One, BBC Two etc. already on the ROI Sky EPG, there are two different SIDs for each BBC channel, one points to the UK EPG, and other is for us in Ireland. 1200 was added to the Test EPG for Freesat months ago, so 1199 will be the ROI version of BBC Two NI HD

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Thats a great addition for fta receivers or other channels on SkyQ. While here at home, we still don't have fta access to Virgin or TG4 in HD and probably won't for years, if ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement