Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"If they came to hear me beg" challenge

• 21-09-2010 5:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

For anyone who hasn't unlocked this achievement yet, I've a lil challenge for ye, Try get it on tip of the spear instead of the very last level. Tis so headwrecking but so good if you do it. Here's a video that got me to try it!
    It took me a very very long time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Took me ages doing the same thing also. Elite seemed to keep moving left or right as I was falling and about to hit him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Yeah the annoying git! But he generally has 3 area's he goes to one of them 90% of the time so it helps a lil

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Cheers for the vid. Got this last night took me ages though as I tended to die or else just melee him.

how long did it take you? be honest! took me the bones of two bloody hours, then i was showing my mate the easy way and got it on the second attempt!!

The most annoying thing was when i used to melee him then die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Took me about 10 minutes, and about 5 or 6 attempts. It's not actually too hard, but the first five or so times: three times I missed, and the next few tries time I meleed him outright rather than executed. Great achievement though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Iv done this about 15 times with the assination animation happening and no achievement, im beginning to think my game is broken??

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Iv done this about 15 times with the assination animation happening and no achievement, im beginning to think my game is broken??

Sure you're doing it right? As in, you need to jump off a height that kills you unless you break it by doing the animation. Not just jump off at a height that does severe damage. If you do it as in that video, take a sprinting leap off the edge, it shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 attempts to get it. The hardest part is actually landing on top of the Elite!

Sure you're doing it right? As in, you need to jump off a height that kills you unless you break it by doing the animation. Not just jump off at a height that does severe damage. If you do it as in that video, take a sprinting leap off the edge, it shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 attempts to get it. The hardest part is actually landing on top of the Elite!

Ya, just like the video. Every time i miss him i die, but every time i hit him i get the first part of the video where the achievement doesnt unlock. It's beginning to get tiresome after nearly 3 hours of trying.

your feet migh be hitting the ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So you just need to land on him from a great height, not doing any other special move in the process as well?

• Advertisement

You have to break the fall by pulling off an execution, so literally a split second before you hit the ground behind him, hold down the RB button to perform it. The biggest problem you'll face it either a) missing the Elite altogether or b) executing him too late so it won't unlock, it has to be a decent distance from the ground

You have to break the fall by pulling off an execution, so literally a split second before you hit the ground behind him, hold down the RB button to perform it. The biggest problem you'll face it either a) missing the Elite altogether or b) executing him too late so it won't unlock, it has to be a decent distance from the ground

Seems from a quick loogle(yes i mean loogle) that this is a finnicky achievement and can happen after 2 minutes or 2 hours.... perseverance seems to be the key....

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

how long did it take you? be honest! took me the bones of two bloody hours, then i was showing my mate the easy way and got it on the second attempt!!

The most annoying thing was when i used to melee him then die!

According to Bungie.net I spent just over an hour doing it!! Then again I was killing grunts whenever I survived the fall for one of the daily challenges...at least that is my excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

got this achievement this morning on the fall of reach, wasnt too tricky at all :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Managed to take out the Elite several time last night at the spot in the video, but never got the achievement. Sometimes when I messed up my flight though I landed safely on a nearby rock and survived, so I think the times I did take him out I must have been landing on hi head, which must be a survivable fall.

either that or your jetpack slowed you down too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

foxerv1 wrote: »

I had the same problem, got the assassination medal and no achievement. To get the achievement it turns out that you need to turn sprinting off after you jump off the ledge. Got it about 10 mins after I found that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

for those of you that have tried this achievement, were you listening to the dialogue?

listen to this:

now load up pillar of autumn , and listen to the dialogue at the start of the level. when he says "the pillar of autumn" at the end of the dialogue, it sounds like old spice guy saying "hello boys"! as my brother and i were working on this simultaneously it was a rather hilarious greeting every time we died and loaded up the previous checkpoint!

anyway, i didn't actually get it myself, went out for a smoke and my brother got it just as i returned, but it's not impossible, i was getting the melee and dying as i hit the ground, so it was just the timing of the assassination the was letting me down. also, i think you really need to land ON him, rather than falling TOWARDS his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Got it last night :) Delighted with myself, took about 50 goes. So many times I just landed on him and walked away. Just need the needler achievement now. I think my game isn't registering the kills because in one FF I killed 40 people with needler without dying and still didn't get it.

RAIN wrote: »
    Got it last night :) Delighted with myself, took about 50 goes. So many times I just landed on him and walked away. Just need the needler achievement now. I think my game isn't registering the kills because in one FF I killed 40 people with needler without dying and still didn't get it.
    are you sure you're getting ythem with the explosion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Yeah Defo. I get the medal everytime. Does it have to be 15 explosions in a row? Does it have to be 15 consecutive Needler kills with no other weapon kills in between... I've tried everything! Only thing I can think of is that is that I have been trying it from the FF menu on my own so it may count as a customer game. Doesn't say anything about not using customer games on the achievement list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

26 tries and about 30 minutes. I Melee'd him 3 times and survived the fall but no assassination.

R0ot wrote: »
    26 tries and about 30 minutes. I Melee'd him 3 times and survived the fall but no assassination.
    if you're surviving the fall without the assassination sequence then it means you're turning sprint off too late, you know your close when you get the melee and then you die, because that means if you had pulled off the assassination you would have gotten the achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Adam wrote: »
    if you're surviving the fall without the assassination sequence then it means you're turning sprint off too late, you know your close when you get the melee and then you die, because that means if you had pulled off the assassination you would have gotten the achievement.

Nah I got it in the end, but 2 of the Assassinations didn't count, was about to give up when I went for it again and got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Bit of a nightmare achievement to get!

I have spent ages but still didn't get it.

Did the assassination on my 5th go, but no achievement! and its being downhill ever since! Watched loads of vids, but still can't get it.

Will try again when I have gotten the rest of the achievements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Same here, its doing my nut at the moment so only gonna give it a go every now and then. Have managed to do it a few times but didn't get the achievement. Know I did it right .few others were saying they had the same problem and only managed to unlock it on legendary ,so gonna try that later.

my bro and i unlocked it on legendary. i was full sure i got it several times but i was obviously hitting the ground just before the assassination. try coming down right on his head rather than at his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Not sure what I am doing wrong, got the assassination about 10 times last night but no achievement.

If I jump and don't do the assassination, the fall kills me, so the height and all is correct.

Any time I go for his head, I end up just doing a melee kill.

yeah that was me all over, it seems to be a timing issue, my brother got it twice, on his acc and then mine, and we were using the exact same method so i guess he got the assassination timing down is all!

• Advertisement

• Meatwad wrote: »
    Same here, its doing my nut at the moment so only gonna give it a go every now and then. Have managed to do it a few times but didn't get the achievement. Know I did it right .few others were saying they had the same problem and only managed to unlock it on legendary ,so gonna try that later.

Couple of tips for you. Try restarting the level each time, instead of reverting to last save. It's 10 or 15 seconds extra, but seemed to work for me. I got the feeling that whatever was causing me to not get it was being saved and re-loaded everytime i reverted to the last save. Also, like you say, try legendary. I was having trouble for a bit until i bumped up the difficulty, then i got it within a few tries. Could have been luck, but it doesn't matter what difficulty you're using anyway. You're not gonna be fighting anyone, you're just landing on one elite's head.

Advertisement