Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Pharma Scores Big Win as medicinal Herbs Will Disappear in EU

Options
  • 19-09-2010 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

"It's almost a done deal. We are about to see herbal preparations disappear, and the ability of herbalists to prescribe them will also be lost.
    "

1pufyv.jpg

The Big Pharma, the same crowd that tried to scare us all about Swine Flu and then flog us all their products to prevent this "disease" will soon have the monopoly over what we can take to cure our illnesses. Herbs have been used for thousands of years to successfully treat illnesses such as Aloe vera could soon be regarded as illegal drugs and go down the same route as Cannabis if you are caught in the possession of them.

2eq7wcx.jpg

http://gaia-health.com/articles301/000301-big-pharma-scores-big-win-medicinal-herbs-disappear-eu.shtml

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭pablo_escobar

I see where you're coming from RTDH but the directive you're referring to doesn't appear to ban all herbal medicines.

It's worrying that certain herbal remedies could disappear for no valid reason.
    Check out this guide here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

"It's almost a done deal. We are about to see herbal preparations disappear, and the ability of herbalists to prescribe them will also be lost.
    "

1pufyv.jpg

The Big Pharma, the same crowd that tried to scare us all about Swine Flu and then flog us all their products to prevent this "disease" will soon have the monopoly over what we can take to cure our illnesses. Herbs have been used for thousands of years to successfully treat illnesses such as Aloe vera could soon be regarded as illegal drugs and go down the same route as Cannabis if you are caught in the possession of them.

2eq7wcx.jpg

http://gaia-health.com/articles301/000301-big-pharma-scores-big-win-medicinal-herbs-disappear-eu.shtml

Can you imagine them banning Aloe Vera haha
    That would be ridiculous for sure.Dont know if that would wake people up though.
    I would be very sad to see aloe vera go.My granny used tons of this while recovering from bowl cancer and she recovered swiftly.
    If they banned that i know for sure there is an agenda going on that could be killing people.Be it on purpose or for money i will say an eye for an eye and a life for a life at the end of the day sounds fair to me
    What evil b4st4rd withholds a persons medicine for ransom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Bravo, fantastic twisting of words!
    This directive requires that all herbal preparations must be put through the same kind of procedure as pharmaceuticals. It makes no difference whether a herb has been in common use for thousands of years.
    That does not equate to banning, at all. This just means that when compounds are sold which claim they treat a specific illness, they must be tested the same as normal drugs to ensure they're safe. It does not target individual herbs and even if they did, it would only need to be tested once if one is to believe the hilariously sensationalist words of that article.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

gizmo wrote: »
    Bravo, fantastic twisting of words!

That does not equate to banning, at all. This just means that when compounds are sold which claim they treat a specific illness, they must be tested the same as normal drugs to ensure they're safe. It does not target individual herbs and even if they did, it would only need to be tested once if one is to believe the hilariously sensationalist words of that article.

Who does the testing? And what reasons are there to trust them?

Who does the testing? And what reasons are there to trust them?
    The same organizations who test the drugs of pharmaceutical companies now. Also the same organization which routinely bans and blocks the sale of the products of those same pharmaceutical companies. One need only look at the fortunes of Elan in our own country to see the effect of this testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

The pharmaceutical industry are the ones who pay for these so called clinical trials and tests on substances and they get the results they paid for!

They don't do tests on things that other independent researchers, doctors and nutritional experts are telling us work better such as colloidal silver, blood electrification, THC, high vitamin doses etc. because they would lose billions each year if people found out the truth about all of this. It's slowly but surely happening though...

It's time for everyone to start putting these alternatives to the test and finding out for themselves that we've all been lied to by these criminals for so many years...

www.electrobiotics.com has some excellent information about all of this type of stuff.

Pixel8 wrote: »
    The pharmaceutical industry are the ones who pay for these so called clinical trials and tests on substances and they get the results they paid for!
    So when something like this happens, you're saying what, Elan didn't pay enough for the study? :rolleyes:
    They don't do tests on things that other independent researchers, doctors and nutritional experts are telling us work better such as colloidal silver, blood electrification, THC, high vitamin doses etc. because they would lose billions each year if people found out the truth about all of this. It's slowly but surely happening though...
    It was pointed out in another thread that THC does not cure cancer, can you please provide evidence to the contrary?
    It's time for everyone to start putting these alternatives to the test and finding out for themselves that we've all been lied to by these criminals for so many years...
    Yes, lets all become guinea pigs and test these things on ourselves, to hell with the pharmaceutical industry! :eek:

You know, having an interesting debate about conspiracy theories is one thing but advising people to try this stuff out for themselves is simply dangerous.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

So when something like this happens, you're saying what, Elan didn't pay enough for the study? :rolleyes:

It was pointed out in another thread that THC does not cure cancer, can you please provide evidence to the contrary?

Yes, lets all become guinea pigs and test these things on ourselves, to hell with the pharmaceutical industry! :eek:

You know, having an interesting debate about conspiracy theories is one thing but advising people to try this stuff out for themselves is simply dangerous.

More dangerous than advising the whole world to take a rushed, untested vaccine for a non-existent, fabricated pandemic?

At least he is adovocating for people to make their own mind up and not blindly accept the word of corrupt institutions.

More dangerous than advising the whole world to take a rushed, untested vaccine for a non-existent, fabricated pandemic?
    The swine flu pandemic? You mean the vaccination that none of us here received either through choice or via government intervention?

And on a side note, sure the scale of the pandemic was blown completely out of proportion but at the same time to rubbish it completely is disrespectful of the people who actually died. Having a certain stockpile of the vaccination is clearly the safest way to go, the problem is if the companies refuse to include a break clause in the contract which allow the government to cancel excess orders once the danger as subsided. It is ridiculous that they can simply refuse this request leading to governments being forced to pay for millions of doses it no longer needs.
    At least he is adovocating for people to make their own mind up and not blindly accept the word of corrupt institutions.
    Yes but people aren't qualified to make those kinds of decisions, that's why people in the medical profession go through years of training before they're allowed to practice medicine.

Harvard have done a study on THC and it came out positive for helping to cure cancer: http://www.nowpublic.com/thc_marijuana_helps_cure_cancer_says_harvard_study

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSXhwP5QjUQ

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/59872/title/Not_just_a_high

68 Peer Reviewed Studies on Marijuana:
    http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000884

Ever seen the short docu drama called "Cannabis: The Evil Weed". In that it shows that the Brits are studying the medical effects of THC for the last few years and they are growing a lot of it legally! Their results are eye opening.

You obviously haven't even googled medical marijuana once.

Seems like the only way you're going to believe that it works! I and many others across the net have tried colloidal silver and blood electrification and i've had very positive effects from them both! But don't believe me, believe a big pharma liar who has a lot to lose by telling the truth about it, the naivity of some people...

What's dangerous is doing what your told your whole life without ever asking questions.

• Advertisement

Believe it or not, a Harvard study released on April 17, 2007 shows that the active ingredient in marijuana, THC, cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread!
    That does not equate to curing cancer.
    Seems like the only way you're going to believe that it works! I and many others across the net have tried colloidal silver and blood electrification and i've had very positive effects from them both! But don't believe me, believe a big pharma liar who has a lot to lose by telling the truth about it, the naivity of some people...
    No, I'll believe someone who has actual medical training, not some random person on the internet who claims a certain treatment worked for them. If I was to do that my penis would be about another 10inches longer at this stage. :pac:
    What's dangerous is doing what your told your whole life without ever asking questions.
    I ask plenty of questions, the difference is I don't make **** up when I don't like or understand the answers I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

There's no truth in the statement that you've enjoyed medical benefits from colloidal silver and blood electrification; you may certainly believe so, but there's no evidence that either works in treatment. Whatever benefit you perceive is most likely confirmation bias, regression to the mean, or simply the placebo effect.

The testing process isn't particularly obtuse or opaque: you simply run a double-blind test and measure relevant indicators. If you get a statistically significant result, well done: you've got evidence that a treatment works. If you don't get a statistically significant result, well done too: you've got evidence that it doesn't. This isn't a corruption thing: how to run a trial is publicly known, so that people can see if your results were a once-off. If your results aren't reproducible, then we can't trust the conclusions.

I wish people would stop assuming that drug trials were some weird conspiracy. Take a week off and read Ben Goldacre's Bad Science, then get your hands on enough test subjects to get a statistically significant result. Randomly split the group into two; one gets the drug being tested, one gets a placebo, and you make sure nobody administering the treatments know which is which. Then test your groups for what you're treating, and see what percentages report success. Measure A - the percentage of the placebo group that recovered - against B - the percentage of the people on the substance being tested that recovered, and see if there's a difference. THAT'S IT. Barring bits and pieces about ensuring that bias doesn't sneak in, you have a simple and foolproof guide to running a test; the only way of knowing for sure if the treatment itself works.

There's no truth in the statement that you've enjoyed medical benefits from colloidal silver and blood electrification; you may certainly believe so, but there's no evidence that either works in treatment. Whatever benefit you perceive is most likely confirmation bias, regression to the mean, or simply the placebo effect.

There's plenty of evidence actually, you just seem to dismiss it all because it's not government or FDA approved or whatever without realising their agenda.

128227.jpg

128228.jpg

128229.jpg

Chemotherapy or high dose Vitamins and Minerals or Colloidal Silver? Mmmm, tough choice... What do doctors even know about Vitamins and Minerals? Less than 6% of medical doctors get any training in Nutrition, nuff said.

I think this has all been discussed already in another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Big Pharma companies, imo , can not be trusted. At the end of the day they need to make a profit and that's what they do best.

Here is an example:
    A major U.S. drug company, Forest Pharmaceuticals, has agreed to plead guilty to three charges related to selling an unapproved drug, promoting an antidepressant to children and obstructing federal agents. -(link)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

There's plenty of evidence actually, you just seem to dismiss it all because it's not government or FDA approved or whatever without realising their agenda.

128227.jpg

128228.jpg

128229.jpg

Chemotherapy or high dose Vitamins and Minerals or Colloidal Silver? Mmmm, tough choice... What do doctors even know about Vitamins and Minerals? Less than 6% of medical doctors get any training in Nutrition, nuff said.

I think this has all been discussed already in another thread.

Your first quote, from the man who made millions selling people a very dangerous diet plan. Truly a respectable source :P

I don't understand where the paranoia comes from, if Vitamins and Minerals did the same job as Chemotherapy then the pharmaceutical companies would sell them to us in whatever form they felt it would be best administered and they would continue to be a billion dollar industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

I can explain the mechanism by which chemotherapy kills cancer cells. However I have no idea what the suggested mechanism is for any of the alternate treatments in this thread. Can anyone explain or link me to an explanation of how "vitamins and minerals", Colloidal Silver or blood electrification kill cancer cells?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The guys claiming that the stuff they sell 'cures' diseases is what's damaging the herbalist industry, not the scientific community. If the people out to make a buck from selling lies didn't do so, then there'd be no need to put these complementary medicinal substances through the same rigorous testing and trials as other medicines which are sold as actual treatments.. more and more people are beginning to buy into these things as stand-alone treatment options for various ailments. I don't see why they shouldn't be subject to the same scrutiny as other medicines in that case.. of course if the people selling this stuff did so with no pretense of being a viable alternative to more well documented and proven therapies, then the problem wouldn't exist to the same extent

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I'm all for regulation of herbal medicine, you can really f*ck yourself up with things you can buy in a healthfood shop if you don't know what you're doing.

However, it costs over a billion euro and around 12 years of research to get a novel drug to market, who in their right mind would pay that for something they couldn't patent?

There are potentially useful herbal compounds or nutritional supplements that can be used in the treatment of disease, often just as effective as their pharmaceutical counterparts with less side effects but the money just is not there for the research. It is so much easier to get money from pharma companies than it is from government research councils.

Asking a company producing herbal medication to carry out the same level of research to assert their claims is tantamount to banning what they sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

A very clever sleight of hand that the snake oil salesmen who punt out ancient or herbal remedies such as collidal silver use is to say that it may help/cure you/ : http://www.bodykind.ie/AdvancedSearch.aspx?advanced=false&keywords=Colloidal%20Silver&Referr=Google_ie_%20colloidal%20silver&gclid=CI724vDUlqQCFYlg4wodiTaRHw Read carefully.

Another little trick they use is to say things like " Colloidal Silver is used for treatment against Cancer!"

I doesn't say that it works. just says that its uses as treatment. You could use bananas for cancer treatment ffs...

Below is an example of con-men selling herbal remedies for all sorts of illnesses. Have a look at the three treatments available, then what they are meant to cure. Then have a look at the ingredients. Sad thing is people buy them because they are either desperate or blindly buy into any old rubbish because it's labeled "Alternative"
    http://trematab.com/

http://angitab.com/

http://ridmotab.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

The thing to do with herbs is to grow them in your garden .
    Grow medicinal herbs in your garden .
    And if they make it illegal , then just grow them in places like the edges of forests , or anywhere out in the countryside , you will know where they are planted , they won't .

• Advertisement

espinolman wrote: »
    The thing to do with herbs is to grow them in your garden .
    Grow medicinal herbs in your garden .
    And if they make it illegal , then just grow them in places like the edges of forests , or anywhere out in the countryside , you will know where they are planted , they won't .

The problem is shops claiming herbs have certain medicinal properties and selling them to people without proper testing. Legislation that states these herbs must be tested properly won't effect people growing herbs in their back garden, as long as they don't sell them to anybody.

people growing herbs in their back garden, as long as they don't sell them to anybody.

There you go , problem solved , just find out what herbs are good for you and grow them in your garden , like people used to do years ago . ;)

There you go , problem solved , just find out what herbs are good for you and grow them in your garden , like people used to do years ago . ;)

A good way of finding out what herbs are good for you might be to subject them to the same double blinded placebo controlled clinical trials which all pharmaceuticals must go through.

RoboClam wrote: »
    A good way of finding out what herbs are good for you might be to subject them to the same double blinded placebo controlled clinical trials which all pharmaceuticals must go through.

The way i test them out is to get cancer and then see which herbs work best to cure the cancer .

The way i test them out is to get cancer and then see which herbs work best to cure the cancer .

Sounds like a flawed methodology to me :p

RoboClam wrote: »
    Sounds like a flawed methodology to me :p

Its always worked for me , where conventional medicine has not worked for me with regard to cancer .

So which is the flawed methodology , to look for a cure or to look for something to sell !

Its always worked for me , where conventional medicine has not worked for me with regard to cancer .

So which is the flawed methodology , to look for a cure or to look for something to sell !

There is a lot more motivation to find a cure for something when you can make money from it. At the end of the day a cure is a cure, regardless of who makes money from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

WakeUp wrote: »
    Big Pharma companies, imo , can not be trusted. At the end of the day they need to make a profit and that's what they do best.

Here is an example:
    A major U.S. drug company, Forest Pharmaceuticals, has agreed to plead guilty to three charges related to selling an unapproved drug, promoting an antidepressant to children and obstructing federal agents. -(link)

another example what else are the prepared to do to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

enno99 wrote: »

another example what else are the prepared to do to ?

Nice find:). It certainly makes you wonder how many times this has happened before and the public knew no better of it, if they have done it once what's to say they haven't done it in the past. That was very sly on their behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Next stop enforced public vaccination and medication

political industrial co-operation

Advertisement