Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

view from top of mast

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

I've seen stuff from them big 1200ft. things they put up in England. (they had a habit of falling down). THATS what I call research (& development).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

That is pretty terrible tbh, those poor chaps, I can hardly go to the top of my chimney, imagine the bit coming down must be worse. Respect to those brave men.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well, really only Emly had a bad fall

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sutro tower is in San Francisco, lived south of there for a number of years. i'd love to see that video on one of the majority of days a year SF is completely fogged in, it would be quite impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

wow, thats some video...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

that was a horrible video. i hate heights and that looks like the job from hell

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

syboit wrote: »
    wow, thats some video...

I have vertigo - and I think I need a little lie down after that. (No hinestly . I actually cannot move now - too dizzy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

What a place to base jump from though. :D

If he didn't move his head around so much it wouldn't look so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

great video, amazed health & safety allows 'free climbing', insurance must be savage,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Jayyyysus, that's mad. So let me get this straight, while he was climbing, between the short stops, he'd no safety line?

Dizzy after watching that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I wouldn't usually have a fear of heights, but I feel a little nauseas after watching that clip.

sick0021.gif
    Not as bad as 2 girls 1 cup though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

**** that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Bloody hell, that's amazing. Some of those rungs barely look strong enough to hang a picture, let alone the climber and his bag of tools! And don't you just love the way for his last break at about 530m, he slips the hook over that bolt which is all rusty and bent downwards, and then lets go with one hand while the rope takes the strain! Absolutely fantastic, whatever they're paying them, it's not enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

PauloMN wrote: »
    Jayyyysus, that's mad. So let me get this straight, while he was climbing, between the short stops, he'd no safety line?

Dizzy after watching that!

I suppose he works on the principle that after the first 50 feet or so the splatter would be the same:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I swear my hands began to sweat just watching it.

How long would the climb take and can you just imagine this.......

Mick
    Yeah
    Hand me the 14 please
    Aw Jayus
    What's wrong Mick
    F*** it, I have to pop back down to the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Did the same job a few years ago on Mullaghanish, when I got to the top the view was fab, and not a breath of wind, we lite a match and it burned out at the top of the mast.

And climbing down is a pain.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Maybe someone can answer the following question as I have read conflicting reports here.

So all I need is one of those aerials shown in the video and then I pick up Freeview ?

I am in Dublin.

I might order one off the internet - the postage costs would be huge, but still cheaper than Maplin.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Order one for me ::D

• You might want to put up with freesat for a while longer lads...
    Believe me,a unix 100 will be cheaper after divis dso ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,003 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

To be honest I'd be surprised if they're supposed to be climbing like this. I know the original video was removed shortly after being posted because the owner of the video thought it showed tower climbers in a bad light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

To be honest I'd be surprised if they're supposed to be climbing like this. I know the original video was removed shortly after being posted because the owner of the video thought it showed tower climbers in a bad light

they're not, they're supposed to be attached to a safety line at all times (except when moving the line I suppose) thats why the original clip was taken down (too late though as it's gone viral)

Its an amazing clip though - each time you think they're at the top, they step out onto an even smaller, flimsier-looking ladder and at the end the guy is just standing on the top for about 20 seconds before he finally hooks himself on. As one commenter on Youtube said, the 30lb bag he's carrying must contain his balls. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Just saw this on mb21.

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/oxford/oxford10.php.

Jaysus.. I used to have a grand head for heights. I don't know where it went to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

loyatemu wrote: »
    Its an amazing clip though - each time you think they're at the top, they step out onto an even smaller, flimsier-looking ladder and at the end the guy is just standing on the top for about 20 seconds before he finally hooks himself on....
    And not only that, watching it again I've just realised that before he hooks on at the top (at about the 7:15 mark), he lets go with both hands while he removes a carabiner from his harness, before finally using that to attach his hook to the top!

All very brave but I've often heard it said that failure to take safety precautions does not automatically mean you are courageous or an expert at something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

ooooh! I've got cramps in my toesies just from looking at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

heres some singing on a mast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTUnYHwU_S8

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Glad he didn't fall off..... they'd have had to send for a hambulance....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

spent my childhood climbing trees in the phoenix park,..the higher the better,..no fears at all but looking back 30yrs I must have dodged death many times..after watching that video I'm brought back down to earth,...getting old I guess,....anyone else get tingley feet watching it ?

Advertisement