Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do You Kill Your Fish???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

iv a habit of 3-5 smacks.. bit of overkill... a well sure at least i did not use the battery and car leads....:rolleyes:

If you want it in a photo you want to keep it to a minium. I hate photos when there's lumps taken out of the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

Paparazzo wrote: »
    If you want it in a photo you want to keep it to a minium. I hate photos when there's lumps taken out of the head.

flat of blade... if i use the blunt back of blade first hit id end up putting it in an inch - tried that once... not good....for photos

after 4 hits i think the head would fall off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

LMAO

here seriously you need to respect the fish..... the C&R guys will be on here in a min... and then were done for,...

what do you think is the most humane way of killing a fish?

I think the fastest method is probably the most humane, that is why I put a freezer bag over their heads, secured with a rubber band, and suffocate them for a few hours, by the time I've driven home if they are still breathing I find the heat of the frying pan polishes them off. :D

Only joking... I do respect the fish and try to ensure that any I take for the pot suffer as little as possible.

But yeah the swiftest method is the most humane, whether that be the priest or cutting their throat and gills. It may depend on the fish, for example some people eat ray wings and I've read that they kill rays with a knife between the eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Caught some bronze whaler sharks in Australia and the priest of choice was a sledge hammer also in reserve was .308 rifle for anything over 100 pound weight.

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Caught some bronze whaler sharks in Australia and the priest of choice was a sledge hammer also in reserve was .308 rifle for anything over 100 pound weight.

A sledge hammer! :eek: You sick puppy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Hey DFF should this thread not be titled "How do you stir the shyte??" :):)

Hey DFF should this thread not be titled "How do you stir the shyte??" :):)

it is a forum...

one can discuss fishing...

killing your fish in a humane way is part of fishing...

people use different techniques...

i find it interesting... to see what other people do...

I am not stiring the pot... but as you don’t kill your fish .... why are you reading it... do you find it interesting to... :)did you read the charter....:D

sickpuppy wrote: »

you got a video of that or a photo?

.308 sounds like a bit of over kill .... there would be a red mist... presume they shot them when still in the water.... no hole in boat...but i think over kill is better than under kill...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just to be clear - no videos or photos of fish kill on this forum or its an instant ban.

i hit the fish in this video 3 or 4 times but cut the footage... do you think i should have to cut the footage because of C&R's or just tell them where to go....:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCVJn08LJ8M&feature=related

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »
    Just to be clear - no videos or photos of fish kill on this forum or its an instant ban.

read the charter... we are discussing fishing and killing a fish is part of it.. for 99% of people... so we would like to see how people do it...

if people have a problem with killing fish get off this thread

it is a forum...

one can discuss fishing...

killing your fish in a humane way is part of fishing...

people use different techniques...

i find it interesting... to see what other people do...

I am not stiring the pot... but as you don’t kill your fish .... why are you reading it... do you find it interesting to... :)did you read the charter....:D

well i do kill salmon, not trout though, calm down i was only taking the hit and miss...;)

read the charter... we are discussing fishing and killing a fish is part of it.. for 99% of people... so we would like to see how people do it...

if people have a problem with killing fish get off this thread

Do you really think 99% of anglers kill their fish. i think it depends upon species. i think/believe that more and more trout anglers are returning fish, so i don't think 99% of trout anglers kill fish (maybe they do in your house :D :::joke:::)

Salmon are different and i think the percentage killed is higher, but i dont think it quite gets to 99%....

i am interested as why would there be a ban? while i understand your concerns surely killing fish is a part of angling whether we like it or not??

Why? If you don't mind me asking Andip.

A lot of people enjoy angling because they can take a few fish for the table, it is part of the attraction of the sport.

Dispatching fish is as much part of angling as what rigs people use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I catch and release all coarse fish but then again I dont "game" fish.

well i do kill salmon, not trout though, calm down i was only taking the hit and miss...;)

im calm:)... could not care if i got banned :D... would not be the first time or second... and wont be the last time a forum banns me...

but salmon are trout... but they just go to sea and come back...

my trout are the size of salmon and grilse ...and the flesh is as pink as a salmon and they taste better....

i dont understand.... why you dont kill trout..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXyjDVwSmw

anyway everyone to there own.....................

Since your on this thread : how do you kill your salmon in detail...:)

Macspower wrote: »
    I catch and release all coarse fish but then again I dont "game" fish.

Perch are a delicacy in many countries.. need to get a decent sized one or eat 2 medium sized ones .. they taste like bass...

I dont kill pike but do kill perch and game fish... but thats just me...

snow ghost wrote: »
    Why? If you don't mind me asking Andip.

A lot of people enjoy angling because they can take a few fish for the table, it is part of the attraction of the sport.

Dispatching fish is as much part of angling as what rigs people use.

Hi snowghost - I appreciate your asking

We went through a spate of 'fish kill' videos being posted previously & I was flooded with complaints to the degree that I had to ask for help from other mods to answer some of them. Dont forget, Mods have to watch every video posted to make sure there is nothing offensive or litigious being posted - that on its own takes up time.

Whilst I appreciate this is a 'fish kill' thread, which by its very nature some people wouldn't like, I am prepared to let it run for comment - as you quite rightly say, it is part of the sport. But I wont let it get too graphic - there have been already been posts on the thread relating to certain items used which I personally find are pushing the boundaries.

Lets not forget, this forum is open to anyone and everyone on the web & one email I received last time was from a guy who's son came across the videos and apparently got very upset. I have no way of proving this, but I know if my 10 yr old saw it by chance, I too wouldn't be very happy.

I fully accept fish kill within reason & limits is a part of game sport, but I dont see the need to get too graphic with it - if someone tells me that they killed a trout by knocking it on the head, what's to be gained by seeing a video of it ?. Everyone knows that beef comes from cows, but I can only imagine the furore if someone posted an abattoir video on the 'Food' forum.

Many other sites would not tolerate the thread, let alone the videos - I'm trying to give a little leeway & just ask that its not abused. This is now incorporated as part of the Charter - No Fish Kill Videos please

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

We went through a spate of 'fish kill' videos being posted previously & I was flooded with complaints to the degree that I had to ask for help from other mods to answer some of them.

Whilst I appreciate this is a 'fish kill' thread, which by its very nature some people wouldn't like, I am prepared to let it run for comment - as you quite rightly say, it is part of the sport. But I wont let it get too graphic - there have been already been posts on the thread relating to certain items used which I personally find are pushing the boundaries.

Lets not forget, this forum is open to anyone and everyone on the web & one email I received last time was from a guy who's son came across the videos and apparently got very upset. I have no way of proving this, but I know if my 10 yr old saw it by chance (and yes I do let her on boards as we Moderate it to be safe as much as possible), I too wouldn't be very happy.

I fully accept fish kill within reason & limits is a part of game sport, but I dont see the need to get too graphic with it - if someone tells me that they killed a trout by knocking it on the head, what's to be gained by seeing a video of it ?. Everyone knows that beef comes from cows, but I can only imagine the furore if someone posted an abattoir video on the 'Food' forum.

Many other sites would not tolerate the thread, let alone the videos - I'm trying to give a little leeway & just ask that its not abused. This is now incorporated as part of the Charter - No Fish Kill Videos please

Has the world gone mad, 10 year old on the internet unsupervised, yes
    thats the internets fault, that is not a valid reason

• Advertisement

clived2 wrote: »
    Has the world gone mad, 10 year old on the internet unsupervised, yes
    thats the internets fault, that is not a valid reason

Nobody said anything about unsupervised ! - last time they were posted under a generic fly fishing on the corrib heading & she could well be in the room while I'm running through posts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

read the charter... we are discussing fishing and killing a fish is part of it.. for 99% of people...

I think you are wrong there DFF.

A very long time ago I was part of a survey of anglers. We established that the old saying that 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers is inaccurate.
    The truth is more like 85% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers.
    This was tested out by a survey. Then over two seasons we compared the results during competitions where the angler and catch was visible and found it to be a reasonable assessment.

The obvious conclusion is that if the highly skilled anglers begin to kill more than a tiny portion of their catch, the fishery declines and the other anglers catch nothing. The very fact that "medium" anglers continue to have good fishing is evidence that the highly skilled anglers are returning most of their catch.

Of course there are high profile exceptions to this pattern of relatively few anglers catching and returning most of all the fish caught.

im calm:)... could not care if i got banned :D... would not be the first time or second... and wont be the last time a forum banns me...

but salmon are trout... but they just go to sea and come back...

my trout are the size of salmon and grilse ...and the flesh is as pink as a salmon and they taste better....

i dont understand.... why you dont kill trout..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXyjDVwSmw

anyway everyone to there own.....................

Since your on this thread : how do you kill your salmon in detail...:)

salmon are trout...ok if you say so it must be true.....
    :rolleyes:
    your trout are the size of grilse....well there were a lot of small grilse around this year...i have caught trout that could eat them. to be honest the grilse are so small its hardly worth the bother fishing for them. or catching and cleaning them out.

dont kill trout because i prefer to let them back...now you understand.
    i dont see the need to explain how i dispatch a salmon on here 'in detail' as you say.....all experienced salmon anglers will know how themselves.

coolwings wrote: »
    The obvious conclusion is that if the highly skilled anglers begin to kill more than a tiny portion of their catch, the fishery declines and the other anglers catch nothing. The very fact that "medium" anglers continue to have good fishing is evidence that the highly skilled anglers are returning most of their catch.

100% correct this fact is lost on so many anglers.

i have a suggestion why don't we make our ALL our limestone lakes catch and release only for 4 seasons and lets see what the fishing would be like in season 5. i bet you anything a significant improvement would be the end result. this has been borne out in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

coolwings wrote: »

Yes and that the highly skilled anglers have become "highly skilled" through a love and passion for the sport over many years and do not feel the need to kill their catch. They get more of an enjoyment out of tricking the fish into taking the bait rather than filling a bag full of fish.

Dead trout killed by short sighted anglers = trout that can not spawn = fewer trout spawning = less newly hatched fry = fewer adult trout = fewer fish for anglers to catch = no fish caught = no enjoyment = plenty of anglers complaining about no fish and wondering why = fewer anglers coming to fish in future = loss of revenue to local communities…….the chain goes on and on………….how low do trout stocks have to go before the penny drops??

We went through a spate of 'fish kill' videos being posted previously & I was flooded with complaints to the degree that I had to ask for help from other mods to answer some of them. Dont forget, Mods have to watch every video posted to make sure there is nothing offensive or litigious being posted - that on its own takes up time.

Lets not forget, this forum is open to anyone and everyone on the web & one email I received last time was from a guy who's son came across the videos and apparently got very upset. I have no way of proving this, but I know if my 10 yr old saw it by chance, I too wouldn't be very happy.

Thanks for the response Andip.

What you say makes perfect sense and I can now appreciate fully where you are coming from, as I'm sure any reasonable person could.

As such I'm sure all posters here will respect your wishes on this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Rather than a total ban, would it not be best to restrict it to this thread, or one like it, with "NSFW, Graphic images" or something in the title?

For budding anglers a video or something on how to break its neck or kill it humanely would be handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

by any chance are you from japan...

No Im from Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement