Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 16-09-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Myself and a friend made a pact on holidays that we would loose weight, because we are both about 2 stone over weight. I used to be athletic and slim but the college life told hold of both of us and we now have unwanted guts. We were in a lovely resort and we were too ashamed to go around with our tops off. So in our depression we deceided to do something about it.

Our plan is to loose 2 stone each, shedding as much as possible before Christmas. The weight is mostly on our bellies backsides and under the chin. We both have BMI's either side of 27.5. I have to come up with the running schedual while he is putting together a weights programme.

We live together and have cut out the soft drinks, chips, crisps, biscuits, and have started cooking Pasta dishes and lots of fish. we have cereal toast, fruit and tea for breakfast. We have also started bringing our lunch to work. So we are trying.

We tried the long distance runs last year but gave up because we were getting nowhere, so i thought this year we would do line running. IE on a rugby pitch run from the tryline to the 22 back to the try line repeating this with every line all the way to the other try line and then following the same course back. I have done this in the past and although its tough i kind of enjoyed it.

The plan is to do 2 laps then a full set of line running 2 more laps another set of line runs and to finish 2 final laps.

Over the course of the 3 months we would try and build this up to maybe 5 sets per session. (twice per week)

I have neglected exercise for the past 2 years so any form of exercise will help but will this form of running make us loose weight at all, or is it just used to push fitness??

Any advice or changes you would make would be most greatfully apprecated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Change the breakfast, for a start. Put in some protein like eggs, and take all out all those carbs. Pasta is a great food for bulking, not so good for cutting. Try cutting back on the pasta and replacing it with buckets of broccoli.

Personally, I'm a fan of cycling for building fitness. If you have two stone to lose, running is not going to be fun. On a bike, it's much less of an issue, so you can wallop along at full belt without worrying that you are going to knacker your knees. And of course, you can cycle to and from work, so you get a load of cardio everyday without having to find extra time.

As a general rule, diet is what will help you lose weight, and exercise is what will make you look hot on the beach. If you have a lot of fat around your belly, then cutting out all the white carbs (sugar, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereals) is the quickest way to shift it.

Advertisement