Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mountain Goats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Roll on next Sunday!

I'm in London at the moment and going to the gig on the 25th. Haven't seen them before but looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Can't wait for next Sunday! Anyone know if he has a full band with him?

Loving the new album...Damn These Vampires is brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Full band yea. Which is a bit unfortunate, but I guess that's how he rolls these days. He'll probably play a few solo songs though! New album is good, think I prefer it to the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Jim wrote: »
    Full band yea. Which is a bit unfortunate, but I guess that's how he rolls these days. He'll probably play a few solo songs though! New album is good, think I prefer it to the last one.

Full band being him, bass and drums or more than that?

Full band being him, bass and drums or more than that?
    Bass and drums yea. "The Mountain Goats" as a band are now officially John Darnielle on vocals and guitar, Peter Hughes on bass and Jon Wurster on drums.

• Advertisement

Bass and drums yea. "The Mountain Goats" as a band are now officially John Darnielle on vocals and guitar, Peter Hughes on bass and Jon Wurster on drums.

I much rather that than just seeing him solo. Some of the songs need the full band sound live I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah as good as the early stuff is, the last six or seven albums have a bigger sound and would be a damn shame to dismiss all that. Band and then a few solo songs will do nicely :)

Alas, looking at recent setlists there isn't much - or any - of a showing for Heretic Pride. Hopefully there'll be a number or two from that in Dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Yeah as good as the early stuff is, the last six or seven albums have a bigger sound and would be a damn shame to dismiss all that. Band and then a few solo songs will do nicely :)

Alas, looking at recent setlists there isn't much - or any - of a showing for Heretic Pride. Hopefully there'll be a number or two from that in Dublin though.

Can you link me a recent setlist?

Lovecraft in Brooklyn from that album would make me very happy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

smokedeels wrote: »
    Can you link me a recent setlist?

Lovecraft in Brooklyn from that album would make me very happy.

Here ya go: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-mountain-goats/2011/theater-of-the-living-arts-philadelphia-pa-6bd3aa92.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 unknown convict

full band was a 4 piece on the recent US tour with yuval semo on 2nd guitar/keyboards, but I reckon it'll be 3 piece here. expect surprises in the solo section. can't wait...

Quick question.

I am 100% sure I bought my tickets on Tickets.ie and selected Box Office collection, yet I can find no email in any of my accounts and none are registered with Tickets.ie. Is there a chance they don't send out confirmation mails and you just go in with your CC to the box office? Or am I going mad.

Quick question.

I am 100% sure I bought my tickets on Tickets.ie and selected Box Office collection, yet I can find no email in any of my accounts and none are registered with Tickets.ie. Is there a chance they don't send out confirmation mails and you just go in with your CC to the box office? Or am I going mad.

They definitely send out confirmation emails.

They definitely send out confirmation emails.
    A case of lost marbles so :/

Yup definite confirmation email here for box office collection. Note to self: print off.

Hoping the rapture doesn't delay the gig.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

So what are we hoping to hear most tomorrow night then?

Best ever death metal... i think is what i want most. That or Up the Wolves - but i don't think i have any chance of hearing the latter.

The regular encore of Best Death Metal..., No Children and This Year would be awesome.

Would love to hear Sax Rohmer, Heretic Pride, Genesis 3:23, Tallahassee, Dance Music, Against Pollution and Id be ecstatic if they played Alpha Omega. Any one of that over enthusiastic wishlist will do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

i'm just happy they're playing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 unknown convict

We got:

Jeff Davis County Blues
    Heretic Pride
    Estate Sale Sign
    Birth Of Serpents
    Minnesota
    Broom People
    <Solo>
    The Day The Aliens Came
    Woke Up New
    San Bernardino
    Love Cuts The Strings
    <->
    Damn These Vampires
    Prowl Great Cain
    Dinu Lipatti's Bones
    Southwood Plantation Road
    No Children
    This Year

Encore 1:
    Palmcorder Yajna
    Houseguest

Encore 2:
    The Boys Are Back In Town

I'd say the guy who kept shouting 'Love Love Love' was disappointed :P

• Advertisement

I won't complain about x song not being played, it was just a great performance.

Birth of Serpents has been buzzing around my head all day and Houseguest left me both amused and terrified.

Trivia: The girl from the support band was F.Scott Fitzgerald's great granddaughter.

Hi, my name is John

C15F6E98130F4047B97B7B65F99BD50F-0000328695-0002334238-00800L-231BAB2820F04EE4AFC23DC32AAA2F4F.jpg

And I've come to murder you....

4209760D6FC9498EAFF5602DBB5E0359-0000328695-0002334239-00800L-5BC66E7C0C7B4ECBA97042735E9DF34D.jpg

Big up to LordG :))))

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Sweet pics dude, and you're welcome!

smokedeels wrote: »

Trivia: The girl from the support band was F.Scott Fitzgerald's great granddaughter.

I think the support group were called the Submarines? Were they any good?

Going to the gig this evening in Koko in camden and am just wondering
    whether to catch the support band or give them a miss?

I got bored of them quite quickly.

There's nothing essentially wrong with them, they just did nothing for me.

They were ok. I only caught the second half of their set but enjoyed it. If you want to get there early to get a good spot they wouldn't be the worst to listen to.

Only saw about 15 mins of the Submarines. They were ok but wouldn't be rushing out to buy any cd of theirs.

I only recently bought 2 of the Mountain Goats CDs (Heretic Pride and The Life of the World to Come) and when I saw that they were playing
    here for only £16, I thought I'd head along.

Really thought the gig was excellent last night. Only knew a couple of songs but there's something about Johns singing and lyrics that really
    makes you listen. Very impressed with them.

Must check out their other albums. Where's a good place to start?

Must check out their other albums. Where's a good place to start?

Tallahassee or The Sunset Tree I think would be two good choices to start with.

All Hail West Texas is a good introduction to the wide array of 'militantly no-fi' Mountain Goats records too.

• Advertisement

Tallahassee or The Sunset Tree I think would be two good choices to start with.
    All Hail West Texas is a good introduction to the wide array of 'militantly no-fi' Mountain Goats records too.

Thanks lads, I'll check them out.

Advertisement