Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The thread where a guys climbs a really high tower (merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I honestly would eat my own sh!t and piss instead of climbing that. I would not to that for 5 million quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Plug wrote: »
    I honestly would eat my own sh!t and piss instead of climbing that. I would not to that for 5 million quid.

I would eat your shit and drink your piss for 5 million euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Was thinkin about this the other day when I first saw the video... as sh*t scared as you would be... I would do it if I was strapped up with a parachute. It would need to be $1m+, but I reckon I could do it.

Without a parachute... f**k no. If these lads did it without a parachute they're missing a chromosone or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

****ing Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'ld love to do that someday...

Although I do get nervous of vertigo usually. But since I started climbing I sort of got a little used to it... It might feel surreal looking down from that height...

I'ld probably take a parachute with me just in case!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I'd say those guys have stones the size of golf balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I got vertigo just looking at the video

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sorry, what's supposed to be scary about that?
    It just some heights, if he wasn't strapped in, then it'd be scary but heights are cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

if he wasn't strapped in, then it'd be scary

He's not strapped onto anything for 99% of the time, that's the whole point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Im not scared of heights generally but my stomach was churning watching that, thanks OP... I think ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Not on my life would I do that job. They talk about having no quick way down in case of a thunder storm, I say, base dive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nelly1912

i feel sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

To all who are ****ting themselves with sweaty hands, dont watch the video a couple of pages in, blows the **** out of this one :eek:

I had no such reactions to either but that 2nd one is insane! Its not as high [nowhere near it] but you you only need to go so high and if you fall you are dead, afetr that its just overkill :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

why arent they wearing a parachute?.. too heavy to climb with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

dont like that at all!

no safety lines?!! crazy

suddenly, bear grylls doesnt seem so hardcore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

omg felt so sick and dizzy watching that!!
    the thought of having to do that every day fair play to them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Saila wrote: »
    To all who are ****ting themselves with sweaty hands, dont watch the video a couple of pages in, blows the **** out of this one :eek:

I had no such reactions to either but that 2nd one is insane! Its not as high [nowhere near it] but you you only need to go so high and if you fall you are dead, afetr that its just overkill :pac:
    cool video

thought this was good too

I did this at the end of August, it was frickin' awesome. I'm gonna do it again next time i'm in South Spain.

For anyone that thinks they'd like to do it.... JUST DO IT! I never felt so alive after. The GF puked with fear but she even said it was worth it in the end :pac:

Saila wrote: »

That looks fairly easy tbh. Lots of good foot holds and there's a rope besides you to grab onto if you lose balance.

Check this dude out:

and if you thought that was badass watch this:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That looks fairly easy tbh. Lots of good foot holds and there's a rope besides you to grab onto if you lose balance.

The difference between El Camino del Rey and the video's you post is that anyone can do the El Camino del Rey for a bit of adventure. Not just anyone can do what is being done in the video's you post

BTW, there is a section on the El Camino del Rey where you're not harnessed. It's the dodgy part at the start of the video. There's ropes for bits of it but not all. For this we were tied 'Alpine Style', so if one of us fell, the rest could take the load (Or take the rest of the group with you!!)

^Sounds cool. I'll like to go there someday...
    It looks like a very interesting place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP video quote: ''This is the tricky part.'' - understatement of the century or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Holy Shít!!! :eek: Dude had to be weighted down by his balls of steel!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

holy fcuk i got dissey just watching that. they must be rock climbers or something also. why don't they wear parachutes...just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

That's an oldie - was out on youtube in the summer or thereabouts - thing is, these guys are maintenance engineers who climbed that tower freely with no safety equipment or anything like that - tbqh, it was an ID10T of him to do so to highlight the campaign that bosses of those engineers could not give a toss about those who risk their lives to climb up on masts without safety gear... when I first saw it I was there like WTF "strap on, strap on..." jeez, and the fact that those steps used are like T bar joints with a small bit sticking out and using his harness to "clip" on when really it could slide off....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

t0mm13b wrote: »
    when I first saw it I was there like WTF "strap on, strap on"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

t0mm13b wrote: »
    That's an oldie - was out on youtube in the summer or thereabouts - thing is, these guys are maintenance engineers who climbed that tower freely with no safety equipment or anything like that - tbqh, it was an ID10T of him to do so to highlight the campaign that bosses of those engineers could not give a toss about those who risk their lives to climb up on masts without safety gear... when I first saw it I was there like WTF "strap on, strap on..." jeez, and the fact that those steps used are like T bar joints with a small bit sticking out and using his harness to "clip" on when really it could slide off....

Its a training video to show new recruits what the job entails. They don't use safety gear because it would take too long, add too much weight and cause too much physical exertion tiring them out quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Its a training video to show new recruits what the job entails. They don't use safety gear because it would take too long, add too much weight and cause too much physical exertion tiring them out quickly.

It's not a training video, it was taken down from the website it was hosted on because the guy wanted to remain anonymous because you absolutely should not take off your safety gear no matter how much quicker it is without it. He could have gotten fired.

Edit: I'm referring to when he did not clip on for a time and climbed the ladder quicker than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Imagine his reaction if he forgot the correct tool and only found out at the top

Nooooooooooooooo :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Christ, I felt sick just watching that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I nearly shat meself a few months back watching that. The lads must be brain damaged!

Advertisement