Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Improving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Monday 19/06/17 - Bike - Road - Time = 1.27, Distance = 34KM approx. 'Threshold'. Included 2 x 20 minutes in Upper Zone 4. Have never done this long in Upper Z4 before. Normally this session involved 3 x 10 minutes, so really happy with this, went well. Averaged 33kph & 25kph for both of these. Second one was uphill.

Swim - Plan was to retest my CSS pace tonight. Made a mess of it as my watch didn't work correctly for the 400 meter time trial. So will have to redo this again next week.

200m Warm up
    400m Time Trial
    200m Boards & Fins
    200m Time Trial
    200m Sighting
    100m Breastroke
    200m Coold Down

10 minutes treading water. Total Swim (1.5K).

Tuesday 20/06/17 - Swim - Open Water - Three weeks since i was last in the river. Tried again this evening, but went with the beginners again. 100 meters upstream against current, 100 downstream, then 400 meters downstream.
    Overall, am finding the coldness of the water in the beginning the biggest problem. Seem to be very anxious for the first 10 minutes or so, until i get used to my head being frozen. Managed to swim the 400 meters downstream with no problems, actually went well, didn't need to stop at all and was able to sight pretty well. Need to get more time in the river, also have started having cold showers at home in an effort to get more acclimatised to cold water.

Run - 3.00 (8.44) pace. After the swim, togged out into running gear for three mile jog. My first run in 4 weeks due to groin issues.

Thursday 22/06/17 - Run - 4.00 37.20 (9.20) - Very slow jog early in morning before work. No issues.

Friday 23/06/17 - Bike - Road - Time = 2.37.39, 68.29KM, 26.0KPH, AVHR = 135. - Found it tough keeping the HR up, not great conditions, but least it went better than last week.

Swim - Tonight, just focusing some technique and open water stuff in the pool. Plan was:

200m Warm Up
    400m Pull Buoy
    200m Sighting
    200m Boards & Fins
    100m Breastroke
    200m Sighting
    200m Cool Down

10 Minutes treading water. Total Swim = 1.5K

Sunday 25/06/17 - Bike - Road - Time = 1.27, 34KM approx 'Sweetspot'. Included 40 minutes in Upper Z3/Lower Z4. Went well, managed 20.20KM in the 40 minutes. Hit 20KM mark in 39.35 minutes. Have ordered the new bike a Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2 model. Cost a nice lump but hoping it helps me improve a little on my times. Also ordered Aero Helmet, Aero Tri Bars, New Saddle, Shoes. Also scheduled for bike fitting to set me up in as much an aero position as possible.

Happy enough with the week. Bike went well, Swimming ok and back running for first time in a month. Hoping i can push on from here.

Monday 26/06/17 - Swim - Plan was to retest my CSS pace tonight. Made a mess of it last week so decided to redo the test. Overall the 400m Time Trial was 8.04 minutes (17 seconds improvement on 6 weeks ago). 200m Time Trial was 3.55 minutes (3 seconds improvement). Happy enough with this. My CSS pace has been altered from 2.10 to 2.05/100 meters based on these results.
    Plan was:

200m Warm up
    400m Time Trial
    200m Boards & Fins
    200m Time Trial
    200m Sighting
    100m Breastroke
    200m Cool Down

10 minutes treading water. Total Swim (1.5K).

Bike - Turbo 'Cadence' One hour on the turbo focusing on rpm's. No issues.

Tuesday 27/06/17 - Run - 4.00 34.01 (8.30) pace. Supposed to do an open water swim tonight, but due to recent rain, strong currents and open cut to my hand, decided not to get with the rest of the group tonight. Instead, put on the trisuit and went for a jog.

Wednesday 28/06/17 - Bike - Road - 1 Hour 'VO2 Max'. Involved 4 x 4 minutes in Zone 5 with 6 minutes recovery, up a very steel hill near my home.

Swim - Just focused on some technique stuff in the pool tonight. Decided to swim a 100 meter Time Trial. Finished in 1.48 minutes which was ok. Much better than what i was swimming this time last year. Also counted my stroke length to get some indication of it. Was taking 26 strokes on average to complete a length of the 25m pool.
    Total Swim = (1.7K).

Thursday 29/06/17 - Bike - Road - 2.34.28, 68.25KM, 26.5KPH, AVHR = 139.
    Long cycle went ok. Not collecting new bike mid July, hoping that this can improve my speed/performance a little.

Swim - Again, just some technique based stuff in the pool. Total Swim = 1.6K.

Friday 30/06/17 - Run - 4.00 37.20 (9.20) - Slow run tonight as covered the first mile running with my wife, then we separated and ran at our own paces.
    Issues with Groin/Abductor this week. Not sure if it's related to my ongoing injury or something new. Feels a little different then the usual pain, like i stretched or pulled abductor muscle. Have appointment in Santry Sports clinic at the end of this month, Can't come soon enough. Decided against running on Sunday morning due to this.

Monday 03/07/17 - Bike - Turbo -Road - 1.24 Hours, Approx 34KM's. Plan was to focus on 'Threshold' pace. Included 2 x 20 minutes in upper Zone 4. Went well.

Swim - Open Water - With TriAthlone on the weekend, was panicking somewhat. Needed time in the open water. Travelled to an open water outdoor pool for an hour swim. Had the place to myself, really enjoyed this. Just took my time swimming up and down the pool. Felt more confident at the end.

Tuesday 04/07/17 - Run - 4.00 36.06 (9.01) pace. - Nice handy run in the morning. No issues.

Swim - Open Water - Again travelled to the open water pool. Only a canoeist and four ducks for coming. Completed approx 1.1km swimming in the pool, just up and down, getting used to the cold water, darkness, depth, trying to gain more confidence for the weekend.

Wednesday 05/07/17 - Bike - Turbo 'Cadence' (1 Hour). Looking for a handy one tonight so just focused on this session.

Thursday 06/07/17 - Run - 4.00 36.56 (9.13). After work, another slow jog. Found this tougher after a long shift.

Saturday 08/07/17
    Tri Athlone Sprint

This was just my second sprint triathlon, my first triathlon swimming in open water (last one was pool based swim). Bit nervous with regard to the swimming section of this. Have been practicing sighting, treading water and breaststroke in the pool recently to help me. Also two days this week in open water pool, made me a little more confident that i wouldn't drown.

Swim
    Lots of guys just dived into the shannon at the start, i was less confident however, just sliding myself in gently from the side and dipping my head below the water whilst holding onto the side of the boardwalk area. After a couple of minutes i started to move out into the middle of the river with the rest of them. Just focused on Breastroke, treading water and getting the body used to the cold water.
    Overall the swim went quiet well, was really thrilled as was my first completed 750 meter swim in a river. Most difficult bits for me was the crowd around me when swimming, a couple of feet and arms caught me, wasn't used to this, nothing major though. Also, missed a few breaths due to holding my breath underwater instead of breathing out. This was probably due to not being relaxed enough. When i realised this, things got a little easier. As expected though, the swim was the weakest of my three disciplines. Happy with the time and placing though.

Time = 13.56
    Place =92/188

T1
    Again, transitions are a weak spot for me. I have everything organised and it seems to go well for me. However, when looking at the results,i'm always well down the field.
    Time = 2.41
    Place = 89/188

Bike
    Was really happy with the bike. Passed about 20 people on the ride and only about 2 people passed me. Had a battle with three other guys, constantly passing and being passed by each other. Kept me focused and helped me push on the bike. The work i'm doing at home seems to be helping me on the bike. Finished in the top 15% of bike riders which shows some improvement.

Time = 39.25 (22KM)
    Place = 27/188

T2
    Again another area to focus. Thought this went well but results show me being place well down the field.
    Time = 1.29
    Place = 112/188

Run

This was by far the toughest of the three disciplines. Felt like i was wading through treacle. Just felt really slow, however on reflection i think it was just the legs were so tired from the bike. The course veered up and down around the town, including sharp turns at cones around each lap. Passed about six people on the run, about 3 passed me. Was happy with my position which shows me that everyone must have found the run tough. Again finished top 15% of runners.

Time = 22.15
    Place = 25/188

Overall very happy with the performance and the time. Swim and bike showing good improvement with still a long way to go.

Overall Time = 1.19.46
    Overall Place = 33/188

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Top 15 % or there abouts for newbie good going, well done. Some impressive training and results.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Top 15 % or there abouts for newbie good going, well done. Some impressive training and results.

Thanks Kenng71. Think the field was probably weak due other bigger Tri events around the country carrying national series ranking points. Nevertheless, was happy with the performance. If i could improve the swim and transitions a little, id be very happy.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 11/07/17 - Bike - Turbo 'Strength' (1 Hour). Missed a session on Monday morning. Early start this morning on the turbo. Includes 3 x 10 minutes in Zone 3 at 55/60 rpm.

Wednesday 12/07/17 - Swim - Pool (CSS Pace) - My first time to do this 6 X 200m at my new CSS Pace - 2.05/100 meters with 20 seconds recovery. Found this very tough, much tougher than the old pace. However, managed to complete it, not much left in the tank though.
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    6 x 200m @CSS Pace
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m (Sighting)
    200m Cool Down

Total Swim = 2K

Run - 4.00 34.46 (8.41). No issues.

Thursday 13/07/17 - Bike - Road - Time = 2.34.16, 68.24KM, 26.5KPH, AVHR = 135 - Went ok, probably my best long cycle for a number of weeks. Also collected my new bike, but won't get a chance to test her out for a couple of weeks.

Swim - Open Water - Local Tri Club were swimming in the river in the evening. Went in to get some practice. Managed about 600 meters downstream. Went ok.

Friday 14/07/17 - Bike - Road - Time = 1.26, Approx 34KM, 'Sweetspot' - Included 40 minutes in upper Zone 3/ Lower Zone 4. Went fine.

Run - 2.00 16.16 (8.08) - Decided to go for a run, straight after the cycling. A sort of a brick session, but their was about 5 minutes between both as got delayed after the cycle. Went ok.

Swim - Pool - Wasn't sure what type of swim to do here. Had already completed a CSS Pace & Open Water swim earlier in the week. Decided to do an longer endurance type swim.
    Plan was:

1.5K F/S
    200m Cool Down

Total Swim = 1.7K.

Sunday 16/07/17 - Run - 6.00 52.21 (8.43). On holidays for a week in Dingle with the family. Went for a run out the Slea Head drive area. Beautiful run early in the morning.

Tuesday 18/07/17 - Run - 4.00 36.16 (9.04) - Again whilst on holidays, plan was just to keep ticking over with a few small jogs with a small bit of swimming.

Swim - Open Water - On Ventry Beach for a few hours with the kids. Brought my wet suit and decided to give a go to swimming in the sea. My first time and went ok. Biggest issues i noticed was the salty taste in my mouth and also swimming into more unsettled water, was strange.

Thursday 20/07/17 - Sea Kayaking - Spent about three hours in Dingle Bay doing this. First time for me and found it great fun.

Friday 21/07/17 - Run 4.00 41.18 (10.20) - Very slow run as went for a jog with my wife. Took our time running around Dingle town, out by the marine and slea head area.

Swim - Pool - Went to Dingle Skellig for the morning with the kids. Spent about 30 minutes to myself just doing a few laps of the pool.

Sunday 23/07/17 - Run 6.00 53.08 (8.51) - Back home and had a lovely run this morning.

Monday 24/07/17 - Bike - Turbo 'Strength' (1 Hour). After work, went ok. Includes 3 x 10 minutes in Zone 3 at 55/60 rpm.

Tuesday 25/07/17 - Run - 4.00 35.31 (8.52). Again after work. No issues.

Wednesday 26/07/17 - Swim - Pool - Technique. Supposed to do a CSS paced session, but given the amount of people in the pool, occupying the lanes, decided against it. Instead spent an hour focusing on drills, technique etc...
    Plan was:
    200m Warm Up
    400m Freestyle
    300m (Boards & Fins)
    100m (One Arm)
    100m (Breathing every 3/5/3/7)
    200m (Sighting)
    500m (Pull Buoy)
    100m (Breastroke)
    100m Cool Down

Total Swim = 2K.

Went well and was what could have been a boring session actually turned out to be pretty enjoyable.

Bike - Road - 2.33.30 68.31KM 26.7KPH AVHR = 139
    Was lucky to get out at all this evening. Heavy rain all evening, was late getting out, just about managed to get in the planned long cycle. Went ok.

Thursday 27/07/17 - Run - 4.00 35.39 (8.55). No Issues.

Swim - Open Water - Local Tri Club were swimming in the river in the evening.
    In total swam 1.5K. Was really happy with this as the furthest i've swam before this in open water has been 750 meters. About 40/50 of us in total and delighted to get this done.

Friday 28/07/17 - Swim - Pool - CSS Pace - Tried 6 x 200m at CSS pace. Again, found this very tough at the new pace. Was really struggling to hit this time, just about managed it but two of the recoveries were longer than required time allowed as i was absolutely shattered.
    Plan was:
    200m Warm Up
    6 X 200m (CSS pace with 20 seconds recovery)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m (Sighting)
    200m Cool Down

Total Swim = 2K.

Saturday 29/07/17 - Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour 'Cadence'. Includes 12 minutes X 2 alternating between 90/120 rpm's.

Sunday 30/07/17 - Run - 6.00 54.24 (9.04). Run went ok, if a little slow. This was probably due to heavy week in work. Another 60 hour work week, body feeling tired.

Overall, happy with the week. Heavy load in work, still managed to get 9 sessions in.

Early Monday morning, paid a visit to Santry Sports Surgery Clinic to Eanna Falvey. Wanted him to take a look at the groin problems ive been having these past two years. Basically, he thinks it's an issue with the hip flexors not firing, other muscles under pressure, pulling on the pubic bone giving me this pain. Has given me some work to do in the gym, to work on strenghtening this area along with the glutes. Told me to work on this over the next six weeks and see where it goes. He is confident that it will work, whilst i'm a bit unsure. Have had a lot of false dawns on this injury over these past two years.

Monday 31/07/17 - Bike - Road - 1 Hour - VO2 Max - Plan was 4 x 4 minutes up steep hill near my house, Zone 5 was the target, struggled somewhat to get into this zone but just about managed it.

Tuesday 01/08/17 - Run - 4.00 36.02 (9.01). No issues.

Gym Work - 30 Minutes - Commenced this work assigned by SSC, in the gym. I'm a member of this gym, but hardly ever use it. Went ok.

Swim - Pool (CSS Pace)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    6 x 200m (CSS Pace)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m (Sighting)
    200m Cool Down

Total Swim = (2K)
    Went a little better than last weeks effort at CSS Pace.

Wednesday 02/08/17 - Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour - 'Cadence' - As i have a Triathlon on the weekend, decided to keep it a little easier this week.

Friday 04/08/17 - Gym Work - Another 30 minutes of working on hip flexors and glutes before swimming.

Swim - Pool - Took it very easy here.
    Plan was:

200m Warm up
    400m (Pull Buoy)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m (Sighting)
    100m (Breastroke)
    200m Cool Down

10 Minutes Treading

Total Swim (1.3K)

Run - 4.00 35.47 (8.56). No issues.

Saturday 05/08/17 - Gym Work - 30 Minutes

Sunday 06/08/17
    Loughrea Sprint Triathlon

Will write a short report on this. It turned out to be a disaster for me, but learned a few things from it to be honest.

Swim
    The swim was unlike any i'd done before. It was in a Lake, with choppy waters and whilst i'd had a couple of good river swims lately and was confident of doing ok, i obviously wasnt prepared for this. Struggled big time to get my breathing correct with waves coming on top of me when i turned to breathe. Also was being pushed about a bit with the current. For the first 350 meters, i basically done the breastroke, everyone leaving me behind. The female competitors in the next wave, caught and passed me. The last 400 meters we turned for home. This was better, managed to be able to swim properly to the finish but the damage was done. Lot to learn here.

Time = 20.54
    Place = 291/332

T1
    Again, transitions turned out to be a problem for me. Whilst everything went according to plan, my results still show me as very slow compared to others. Need to get a handle on this.

Time = 2.22
    Place = 214/332

Bike
    This was a very hilly course, wasn't aware of this until before the start. Still using the old bike as havent had any practice on the new one as yet. My last Tri, the bike went very well and had hoped on a good course that i could complete the 20k in 37/38 minutes. Unfortunately, this wasn't going to happen. Legs felt very heavy legged after the swim, struggled to get going, found the course very undulating. Managed to pass a number of cyclists, maybe 15/20 out on the course. About 5 people passed me. Legs really struggle on this. Turned out to be slower than most of my training rides.

Time = 41.41
    Place = 192/332

T2
    Again, very poor transition. Went according to plan, but need to lean out the amount of things i'm having to do during transitions.

Time = 1.43
    Place = 298/332

Run
    This was the only part of the triathlon that i was happy with. As i was so far back in the field, spent the 5k, passing loads of people. Only one person came past me, i must have passed 40 other runners. Felt good and enjoyed it alot.

Time = 21.24
    Place = 90/332

Overall 1.28.03
    Place = 198/332

So, very poor performance overall. A number of things to work on.
    Firstly - Obviously need alot more experience in outdoor swimming over the 12 months or so. This is not something that will improve in the shorter term
    Secondly - Need to get on my new bike and get practice on the aero bars.
    Thirdly - Scale down and lean out my transitions - Doing too many unnecessary tasks during transition.

Tuesday 08/08/17 - Run - 4.00 35.46 (8.56). Took Monday off as a rest day after Loughrea Triathlon. Easy 6am run before work, to get back into it.

Wednesday 09/08/17 - Bike - Road - 1.22 Hours 'Threshold'. First day out on my new bike. Its a Giant Propel Advance Pro 2. Also added new aero helmet, aero bars and new shoes. Need to get some practice on the bars and used to the gearing system. This included 2 x 20 minutes in Upper Zone 4 pace. First impressions on the bike were ok. Tri Bars need practice, but think that will come soon enough.

Gym Work - 30 minutes working on hip flexors and glutes.

Swim - Pool - CSS Pace

Plan was:

200m Warm up
    6 x 100m @CSS Pace
    200m Boards & Fins
    6 x 100m @ CSS Pace
    200m Sighting
    200m Cool Down

Total Swim (2K)

Original Plan was 12 x 100m at CSS Pace with 10 seconds recovery, but due to a number of people in the lane with me, had to stop for a few minutes and just used Boards & Fins for a bit waiting for the lane to thin out a little.

Thursday 10/08/17 - Bike - Road - 2.28.46 68.17KM 27.5KPH AVHR = 142
    Again, out on the new bike to complete my long cycle. Followed the same route that i normally complete. Kept the HR in the same zone. Used the aero bars about half the time, if i could improve this i think id see more improvement. Overall, happy enough with this. Time & Avg Speed were faster on this route than ever. I've ridden this route about 10 times previously and average speed today was between 1 - 1.5kph quicker.

Gym Work - 20 minutes working on Hip flexors and glutes

Swim - Open Water - Down to the river with the triathlon club. Completed 1500 meters in total (750 up & down stream). Timed myself coming downstream for the 750 meters and was about 14.40. Happy to get another longer swim in the river.

Friday 11/08/17 - Run - 4.00 35.40 (8.55). Beautiful morning before work for this run. Really enjoyed this.

Saturday 12/08/17 - Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour - 'Strength'. Included 3 x 10 minutes in Zone 3 at 50 - 60 rpm's. Finding it hard lately to stay in Zone 3 in this session. HR is dropping a lot lower than id like it. Will have to monitor this and possibly make changes to the session.

Sunday 13/08/17 - Run - 6.00 55.13 (9.12). Again out at 6am. Was a little slow, but legs felt very comfortable at that pace, so was happy to leave it be.

Gym Work - 20 minutes, completed at home as hadn't got time to nip into the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Can I ask what gym work you do for your hip flexors and glutes? is it stretching or weights or both?

• Advertisement

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Can I ask what gym work you do for your hip flexors and glutes? is it stretching or weights or both?

Hi

The physio in the gym in SSC has been given me four exercises to complete, three times per week, taking about 25 minutes on each occasion. I normally complete them in the gym prior to going to my swim session. Using combination of bands & weights.

1. Using a band wrapped around my feet and lying on my back, push one leg out straight whilst keeping the other leg at >90 degrees. This one is to 'switch on'your hip flexors. 3 x 8 on each leg.

2. Deadbug with bands - again lying on my back with a different type of band wrapped around a fixed object. Hold this band in my hands with my arms straight up in the air. Bend my legs again about 90 degrees and hold for a couple of seconds. This is used to work your abdominal area. Do 3 x 8 of these.

3. Hip Thrusters 3 x 8 - Lying against a fixed object, thrusting my pelvic area forward. Aim here is to feel it in the glute area.

4. Step up with weights 3 x 6 - Standing with one leg on a bench and stepping up with the other leg and raising it as if your running. Hold weights in each hand. I'm currently working with 12.5kg in each hand.

Monday 14/08/17 - Gym Work - 30 minutes in the gym working on glutes & hip flexors.

Swim (CSS Pace) (12 x 100m @ 2.05/100 meters pace)

Plan was:
    200m Warm Up
    12 x 100m (CSS Pace)
    200m (boards & fins)
    200m (sighting)
    200m Cool Down

Went ok, managed to hit times for all reps, kept recoveries to 10 seconds. Find the last few pretty tough though.
    Total Swim (2K).

Run - 4.00 35.42 (8.56). No issues.

Tuesday 15/08/17 - Travelled up to the Santry Sports Surgery clinic to meet with the physio to assess how it's going. He changed one or two exericses. Done about 20 minutes work in the gym up there.

Bike - Road - 1.19 hours 'Sweetspot'. Out on the new bike. This involved 15 minutes warm up, then 40 minutes in upper zone 3/ lower zone 4, then 15 minutes cool down. Managed to complete 20k in about 36 minutes 30 seconds, nice bit faster than i'm doing currently in the triathlons.

Wednesday 16/08/17 - Run - 4.00 36.13 (9.03) Up early before work for a quick jog on the road.

Thursday 17/08/17 - Bike - Turbo 1 hour - 'Cadence' - Again up early before work on the turbo to do this session. Another Triathlon planned for the weekend, so taking it easy.

Friday 18/08/17 - Gym Work - 30 minutes

Swim - Took this real handy as Worlds End Triathlon in Limerick the next day.
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    200m (boards & Fins)
    200m (Sighting)
    100m (Breaststroke)
    100m (F/S)
    200m Cool Down

10 minutes treading

Total Swim (1K).

Saturday 19/08/17

Worlds End Triathlon

Have decided against completing an Olympic Triathlon this season. As this is my first year doing triathlons, decided that i'll stick to the sprints. I entered into this triathlon late on as need a bit of confidence after the loughrea disaster.

Swim
    This was in the river shannon 375 meters upstream, turn around the buoy and back again. Enjoyed this swim, went ok for me given the fact that it's my weakest event by far. Was in wave 1, and the biggest issue i had was on a number of ocassions i bumped into other swimmers. Nobodies fault, just one of those things.
    Time = 16.16
    Place = 68/148

T1
    My transitions have been very poor since i started. Was doing too many tasks at each transition and managed to lean them out somewhat.
    This one went better than the previous few tri's and was happy enough with it.
    Time = 1.53
    Place = 54/148

Bike
    Was looking forward to the bike, as it was my first triathlon to complete with the new bike. Had a couple of good training rides on it and was hoping to see some improvement. Slightly disappointed with the performance, even though it was much improved from loughrea. Found my legs very tired for the first 10 minutes after getting out of the river. It was only when three riders came past me close together that i seemed to give myself a kick up the backside and pushed hard. Managed to stay with these three guys over the course and we interchanged positions a number of times during the ride.
    Course was quite hilly in parts and definitely was a tougher course than i expected.
    Time = 38.13
    Place = 49/148

T2
    Again have managed to remove some tasks on this transition as well. Still could do better here. Need to get lock laces, wasting too much time putting on runners and tying laces.
    Time = 0.58
    Place = 95/148

Run
    This is generally my strongest part. Found it tough, normally i pass quite a few on the run. No so today, only passed 2 runners and 2 guys passed me near the finish. Due to injury, i haven't done any speed work in nearly 2 years now. As long as i can't train properly, this is not going to get any better. Nevertheless, it went ok for me.
    Time = 21.36
    Place = 33/148

Overall Time = 1.18.59
    Overall Place = 49/148

Happy enough with this. My quickest sprint triathlon out of the four i've completed so far. 10 minutes quicker than loughrea two weeks ago. Definitely areas to work on. Might look at completing one last sprint triathlon in the next couple of weeks and call it quits for the season then.

Tuesday 22/08/17 - Run - 4.00 38.15 (9.33). Down in Lahinch for a couple of days with the family. Lovely spot and always like visiting West Clare. Hungover on Monday so no exercise. Up early here and ran along Lahinch Promenade. A couple of other runners and couple of surfers on the beach at 7am.

Swim - Open Water - Not sure i can call this a swim as i didn't do much. Spent about 2 hours in the water in Lahinch in the afternoon. Fairly big waves and wasn't great for swimming. Spent much of my time diving into and over the waves having a bit of fun. Great craic....

Wednesday 23/08/17 - Bike - Road - 1 Hour 'VO2 Max'. Included 4 x 4 minute intervals up a steep hill near home with 6 minutes recovery. Might change this session around next time and see if i can hit Zone 5 on the flat.

Gym Work = 30 Minutes

Swim - Pool - 1 Hour (CSS Pace)

Plan was:

200m Warm Up
    3 x 400m (CSS Pace)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m (Sighting)
    200m Cool Down

Total Swim (2K) - Went ok, first time to try this session over 400 meters. Manged to hold reps, just about with 45 seconds recovery.

Thursday 24/08/17 - Bike - Road - 2.19.39 60.58KM 26.0KPH AVHR = 140
    Changed the long cycle this morning as was really lacking in motivation for doing the same route every week. Decided to alter slightly. Didn't go well at all. Very windy and was being blown around a little. Due to this, never used the aero bars much due to safety and was fairly slow as a result. Not a great ride.

Gym Work = 30 minutes

Swim = Pool - 1 Hour - Tri club cancelled the local river swim, so i headed to the pool. Decided to get a longer swim in than normal.

Plan was:
    1.5K F/S
    50m (Breastroke)
    50m (One Arm_
    200m Cool Down

Total Swim (2K)

Friday 25/08/17 - Run - 4.00 34.35 (8.39) - After work, legs a little tired but felt ok.

Sunday 26/08/17 - Run - 6.00 53.04 (8.51)

Gym Work = 30 Minutes - Had to do these at home in the evening.

Missed a bike ride at the weekend as my plans fell through. May try and get an extra one in next week.

Monday 28/08/17 - Bike - Road - 1.28 Hours 'Threshold'. Included 2 x 20 minutes in upper Zone 4.

Gym Work - 30 Minutes

Swim - Pool - Total Swim (1.5K)

Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    400m (Pull Buoy)
    300m (Boards & Fins)
    100m (One arm)
    100m (on side)
    200m (Sighting)
    200m (Cool Down)

Tuesday 29/08/17 - Run - 4.00 35.33 (8.53). No issues.

Gym Work = 30 Minutes

Swim - Pool - Total Swim (1.2K)

Plan was:
    200m Warm Up
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    100m (One Arm)
    100m (on side)
    4 x 25m sprints
    100m (recovery)
    200m Cool Down

Wednesday 30/08/17 - Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour 'Strength'. After work, included 3 x 10 minutes in Zone 3. Changed this slightly as was struggling to reach Zone 3 recently doing this session. Altered RPM's downwards to 55rpm, 50rpm & 45rpm, meant pushing tougher gears which raised heart rate to where i wanted it.

Thursday 31/08/17 - Run - 4.00 35.08 (8.47). Again, after work, with no problems.

Friday 01/09/17 - Bike - Road - 2.11.00 60.17KM 27.6KPH AVHR = 145
    Changed long cycle route again this week. Decided to keep on the main road which is fairly wide and safe. This allowed me to stay on the aero bars for much of this cycle, its a boring route, but i feel i need the practice on them so will continue to use this route where possible.

Saturday 02/09/17 - Gym Work - 30 minutes.

Swim - Pool - Total Swim (1.5K)
    Plan today was to retest my CSS Pace so 400m & 200m TT was called for.
    Completed 400m in 7.58 (6 seconds quicker than last time). Completed 200m in 3.53 (2 seconds quicker than last time). Not much of an improvement in fairness. However, not going to get too worked up on it. New CSS pace is 2.03 per 100 meters.

Sunday 03/09/17 - Run - 6.00 53.31 (8.55).

Wednesday 06/09/17 - Swim - Pool - Total Swim (1.8K)
    Few drinks too many on Sunday night, took my time recovering so no exercise Monday/Tuesday. Back with this easy enough swim session.
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    500m (Pull Buoy)
    300m (Boards & Fins)
    100m (One Arm)
    100m Recovery
    4 x 25m Sprints
    200m F/S
    100m (On Side)
    200m Cool Down

Gym Work = 30 Minutes

Bike - Road - 1.25 Hours 'Sweetspot'. Included 40 minutes in Upper Zone 3/ Lower Zone 4. Felt good, however was pretty slow over the 40 minutes compared to two weeks previously. Think weather conditions played a big part in this.

Thursday 07/09/17 - Swim - Pool - Total Swim (2K)
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    6 x 200m (CSS Pace) (25 second recovery)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m (Sighting)
    200m Cool Down

CSS pace went ok. Always find this very tough, barely making the times required.

Gym Work = 30 Minutes

Run - 4.00 34.20 (8.35)

Saturday 09/09/17

Athlone Sprint Triathlon

Travelled up to this on Saturday morning. My last Triathlon planned for this year. Had zero motivation all week for this. Wasn't really interested at all and slightly regretted signing up. Miserable weather all morning and swim was in a lake which brought up memories of my struggles in Loughrea last month in the lake. Looking for any reason,not to do this.

Swim

Once i got into the water, my motivation came back somewhat and was determined to have a better experience in the lake than my previous one. Started off okay and the first 300 meters went ok. Then we turned slightly and the water started to get a bit more choppy. I didn't panic and just worked my way back, even though i felt i was fairly slow.
    So it proved, and was a relatively slow time, but was comfortable through out which was the main goal.
    Time = 17.37
    Place = 62/117

T1
    Was aware of the slowish swim time, so wasn't exactly killing myself going through transition. However, it went relatively fine for me.

Time = 1.34
    Place = 50/117

Bike
    Again, started off the bike with little real motivation due to feeling that my swim didn't actually set the world alight. Struggled a little, feeling a bit leggy for the first 5/10 minutes. The course contained three loops and after the leaders passed me, i managed to pick up my performance somewhat. I was feeling really good, passing lots of cyclists, both from the try a tri race and also lapping some slower participants myself. Passed about 50 people on the bike. Conditions were very blustery and i was unable to use the aero bars. Due to my inexperience with the bars and also poorer bike handling i stayed upright in the normal bike position. I pushed fairly hard though and was very happy with how the bike went. The course measured short (18.43Km's). Nevertheless my time was pretty good for me even taking into account the short distance.
    Time = 33.49
    Place = 33/117

T2
    Again, this transition is probably the worst part of my triathlons over the past number of events. Have a couple of changes to make which will improve this.
    Time = 1.07
    Place = 83/117

Run
    Found the first 5 minutes very tough, legs struggled a lot. Managed just to work as hard as i could maintaining 21.30 pace throughout. Run route was also short, approx 4.40km's, hence the faster time. Passed 2 runners and 2 people passed me.

Time = 18.54
    Place = 29/117

Overall Time = 1.13.02
    Overall Place = 37/117

Overall, happy with the performance, probably in line with my two previous best performances (Athlone - July, Castleconnel - August). Course was short, hence the faster time, but nevertheless a nice triathlon to finish the season with and gives me a little confidence heading into the winter break.

Monday 11/09/17 - Gym = 30 minutes

Swim ( CSS Pace - Total Swim = 2K)
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    12 X 100m (CSS Pace)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m (Sighting)
    200m Cool Down

CSS Pace went ok. Tough going especially with 10 seconds recovery time between reps.

Run - 4.00 36.24 (9.06)

Tuesday 12/09/17 - Gym = 30 minutes
    Back up to the Santry Sports Surgery Clinic today to see strength and conditioning coach. He increased the difficulty and reps of the work that i've been doing. After i left, he consulted with one of the doctors there and plan is for me to have an MRI in four weeks time so they can assess current status of the injured area.

Bike - Road - 1.15 hours 'VO2 Max'
    Decided to change the VO2 max session around. Normally i would complete this on a steep hill near home. However, have been struggling recently to hit Zone 5, so decided to pick a very flat road nearby and just hammer into as best i could to see if i could hit the required zone. Completed 4 x 4 minutes at this and managed to hit Zone 5 each time so was delighted with that. Allowed 6 minutes recovery between reps.

Wednesday 13/09/17 - Run - 4.00 35.39 (8.55) Early morning run, before work. Went ok.

Friday 15/09/17 - Bike - Road 2.07.27 60.14km 28.3kph AVHR = 138
    Long cycle, again on the straight road near home. This is a wide road which allows me to stay on the aero bars for long periods of time and get used to them. Started off really easy and HR was averaging about 125. After about 15 minutes, decided to increase the effort. Went well. Fastest average speed i've ever done for a solo ride.

Gym = 40 minutes

Swim = (Drills - 1.3K)
    Just spent the time doing some drills and focusing on technique. After the cycle and gym, together with 2/3 hours work around the house that day, i didn't have much energy left for this so kept the session short.

Saturday 16/09/17 - Run - 6.00 53.31 (8.55)

Sunday 17/09/17 - Bike - Road 1.21 Hours 'Threshold'. Included 2 x 20 minutes in upper Zone 4, approx 156bpm.

Tuesday 19/09/17 - Bike - Turbo - (1 Hour 'Strength') - Up at 5am before work to fit this in. Included 3 x 10 minutes in Zone 3 at 45, 50, 55 rpm.

Wednesday 20/09/17 - Gym - 35 Mins

Swim (Total Swim - 2K) (CSS Pace)
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    6 x 200m CSS
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m (Sighting)
    200m Cool Down

Recoveries 20 seconds.
    Went fine, dislike doing these CSS pace sessions as i find them tough.

Run - 6.00 53.40 (8.56)

Thursday 21/09/17 - Gym = 35 mins

Swim - (Total Swim - 1.5K)
    This was just a series of drills working on technique.

Bike - 2.04.57 60.14km 28.9kph AVHR = 145
    Again, chose the long straight road near home, allowing me some training time on the aero bars. Pushed a little harder than last week and went well.

Sunday 24/09/17 - Run - 6.00 55.34 (9.16). Late Sunday evening in the dark after work, managed to head into town and run this on the ring road. Little motivation for this after a hard weekend of work.

Overall, poor enough weeks training. Missed a bike, run and swim session. However working 5 x 12 hour shifts this week, together with dark mornings/evening and other stuff on impacted training. Sessions that i did complete, i was very happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Less motivation as Autumn dark mornings, and when life takes over. But seems like it's been a decent year so far, great training.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Less motivation as Autumn dark mornings, and when life takes over. But seems like it's been a decent year so far, great training.

Yeah, kennyg71, overall happy enough with how the year went. At the moment, struggling for motivation as nothing in the pipeline until April next year. Trying to decide whether a couple of weeks off might help, or try to freshen up the training a bit.

Monday 25/09/17 - Bike - Road - 1.22 Hours 'Sweetspot'. Included 40 minutes in Upper Zone 3/Lower Zone 4.

Gym = 35 Minutes

Swim (Total Swim = 2K)
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    3 x 400m (CSS Pace)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m (Pull Buoy)
    200m Cool Down

Overall went well, managed to keep CSS pace for longer reps with 45 seconds recovery. Just about.....

Tuesday 26/09/17 - Run - 6.00 53.23 (8.54)

Gym = 35 Minutes

Swim = (Total Swim = 1.9K)
    Plan was:
    1.5K F/S
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m Cool Down

Plan was to do a longer swim, more endurance based. No real issues here.

Thursday 28/09/17 - Run - 4.00 37.24 (9.20). Drove into town after work and ran on ring road for this.

Friday 29/09/17 - Bike - Road - 2.13.56 60.16km 27.0kph AVHR 137
    Poor bike ride today, found it tougher than normal. Slower than normal as well, but wind for really tough out there at times.

Gym = 40 minutes

Swim = (Total Swim = 1K)
    Nothing really planned for this and body was struggling after earlier bike ride, so just concentrated on some drills/technique based stuff.

Saturday 30/09/17 - Run - 8.00 1.10.03 (8.45). Longest run for a while but S&C guy in Santry Sports Surgery Clinic has asked me to gradually increase the volume to see if any reaction.

Sunday 01/10/17 - Bike - Road - Had planned to do a VO2 max session today, but after two reps, i realised that i was struggling. Heart Rate just wouldnt get into Zone 5. Put this down to body being tired and slightly overtrained. So backed off and just tipped around in Zone 2 for 50 minutes.

Next week is a tough week, with long working hours. Will see how it goes.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 04/10/17 - Run - 6.00 53.32 (8.55) Couple of days off rest, thrown in with a few pints on Sunday evening.

Gym = 40 Minutes

Swim - (Total Swim = 2K)
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    12 x 100m (CSS Pace)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m (Paddles & Pull Buoy)
    200m Cool Down

Bought a set of Paddles to add in some extra drills that might help. CSS pace went fine.

Thursday 05/10/17 - Bike - Road 2.09.42 60.13km 27.8kph AVHR 138 = Went better than last week, still a bit of a struggle at times though.

Gym = 30 minutes

Swim - Club Lesson - Signed up for 10 weeks of Triathlon club lessons similiar to last year. Have entered myself into the Intermediate 1 group, whilst last year i was in beginners. Bit apprehensive that i might be out of depth in this group. However, needn't have worried as i was probably one of the stronger swimmers. We got into groups and done 400m TT, follwed by recovery and then 200m TT. These are similiar to what i've been doing myself these last few months, so i had a big advantage on the rest of the group. Based on these results, our groups will probably change and our rep times will be based on these. (Total Swim = 1.1K).

Friday 06/10/17 - Run - 6.00 53.49 (8.58). Had to drive into ring road after 12 hour shift to complete this. Lacking in motivation as pretty tired. However, felt better having done it.

Saturday 07/10/17 - Bike - Turbo - 1 hour 'Cadence' - Handy enough session after work as i was pretty tired.

Sunday 08/10/17 - Run - 8.00 1.13.05 (9.08). Early morning run. Went well, felt great.
    [/QUOTE]

Monday 09/10/17 - Gym = 40 minutes

Swim - (Total Swim - 1.5K)
    Mainly drills/technique based stuff, using some of the drills the coach got us to do last Thursday in the club session.

Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour 'Strength'
    Went well. Included 3 x 10 minutes at 45, 50 & 55 rpm in Upper Zone 3.

Tuesday 10/10/17
    Santry Sports Surgery Clinic - Back up to SSC to get another MRI on the injured area. Eanna Falvey compared my results to last MRI, 18 months ago and much better results. Injured area looked like it is a lot better. However, one area of the pubic bone is still showing some damage. He told me to continue doing what im doing, making sure i complete the rehab.
    Progress has been very slow for my liking (2 years now). However, at least MRI is showing pubic bone to be in lot better shape.

Run - 4.00 35.45 (8.56) - No issues.

Wednesday 11/10/17 - Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour 'Sweetspot'. This included 40 minutes in Upper Zone 3/Lower Zone 4. Last year on the turbo i was completing this session with 2 x 20 minutes, so was delighted to be able to do whole 40 minutes in these Zones.

Thursday 12/10/17 - Swim - Club Lesson - Total Swim (1.2k). Not really happy with this session. Coach late arriving, only got about 35 minutes swimming. Was put in the fast lane. Drills were ok, but when we went to do paced swims based on last weeks TT's, other guys in my lane were swimming way too fast which meant i was swimming too fast. Not hitting the required paces meaning probably not getting what were supposed to get from the session. Also total pace swim was about 200 meters. I'm doing 1200m at this pace on my own.

Gym = 35 minutes

Friday 13/10/17 - Run - 4.00 35.16 (8.49). Step back week for me with regards to running.

Gym = 40 minutes

Swim = Total Swim (1K). Bit of a mess, couldnt use my normal swimming pool, had to go to a hotel and share a lane with a few recreational swimmers. Managed to get some drills in. Not great.

Saturday 14/10/17 - Bike - Turbo - 2 hours - Didn't bother going on the road today. Decided to do 2 hours on the turbo. Used Finks Zone 1 (116 - 132bpm) My average heart rate was 125. Happy with this as find the turbo alot more difficult to hold heart rate zones than the road.

Sunday 15/10/17 - Run - 6.00 53.59 (9.00). Feeling the groin area a little the last couple of days. Disappointed with this as has been going well of late and positive news in the SSC last Monday had been feeling good. Might take a day off to rest it.

Tuesday 17/10/17 - Gym = 40 Minutes

Swim (Total Swim = 2K)
    Plan was:
    200m Warm Up
    6 X 200m (CSS Pace)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m (Pull Buoy & Paddles)
    200m Cool Down

CSS pace went well. Tough session with 20 seconds recovery between reps.

Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour 'Cadence'
    This is a handier session which suited me due to the tougher swim session in the morning.

Wednesday 18/10/17 - Gym = 40 Minutes

Swim = (Total Swim = 1.5k)
    Mainly based on Drills, technique & some speed work, which i havent been doing in a long while. Used Fins, Boards & Paddles).

Run = 4.00 34.41 (8.40)

Thursday 18/10/17 - Bike - Turbo - 2 Hours - Again long time on the turbo in Fink's Zone 1 HR pace. Average Heart rate = 124. Happy with this.

Gym = 35 minutes

Swim - Club Lesson - Total Swim (1.2k). Tougher lesson than previous weeks. In the fastest lane and couple of the guys are a fair bit faster than me. Hopefully will make me better though swimming with them.

Overall an ok week. Good for swimming and gym work. Missed one bike ride and two planned run's due to long week at work and groin acting up a little.
    Taking the next week off mainly due to two reasons:
    Firstly, body feeling tired of late. Triathlon season over and i'm havent altered the volume, duration or intensity of my sessions. Feel it may take too much out of me over the winter and leave me a little flat next season if i don't take a little more recovery time.
    Secondly, my hurling club won an intermediate county final on Sunday and we celebrated pretty hard for a couple of days (as you may have seen on the papers). Fortunately i was finished my celebrations before the fireworks kicked off on Tuesday evening. But my body is wrecked, as i'm not used to that carry on any more. So i'm taking this week off to recuperate somewhat.

Monday 30/10/17 - Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour 'Cadence'. After taking 10 days off from exercise, glad to get back into it this evening. This is probably the easiest of the turbo workouts that i do, so a good one to start back on.

Wednesday 01/11/17 - Gym - 40 minutes.

Swim - Total Swim = 1.8K
    After almost two weeks out of the pool, my longest stint of absence in the 18 months i've been swimming, found this difficult. Of course, plan was to do the CSS workout. Didnt happen, had to stop after 9 of these as was really struggling. Not too downhearted, however, as abused the body too much in the previous two weeks and was unlikely to hit this target.
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    9 x 100m (CSS)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    400m (Pull Buoys & Paddles)
    100m Cool Down

Stopped at 1.8k as was shattered.

Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour 'Strength'. Went well, legs felt good.

Thursday 02/11/17 = Run 6.00 53.45 (8.57)

Gym = 40 minutes

Swim (Total Swim = 1.35k) Club Lesson
    Tough session with the club. In the fastest lane of Intermediate 1 group, but three other swimmers way faster than i am. Difficult to keep close. Focused to technique, speed & Drills. Enjoyed this, but was fairly tough.

Saturday 04/11/17 - Bike - Turbo - 2 Hours (Finks Zone 1) AVHR = 124
    This went well, late in the evening when i managed to get on the bike. Happy with this.

Have decided to cut the training slightly over the coming weeks. Busy with work, dark nights, all having an impact. No real plans till next year, so just want to tip away focusing on quality sessions with bike & swim than just quantity.

Monday 06/11/17

Gym = 40 minutes

Swim = (Total Swim = 1.3K)
    Basically, just repeated last weeks Club Session.

Bike = Turbo (1 Hour 'Sweetspot') - Always a tough one. Keeping the heart rate in Upper Z3/ Lower Z4 for 40 minutes. Happy out when this was done.

Tuesday 07/11/17

Run = 6.00 54.56 (9.09)

Gym = 40 minutes

Swim = (Total Swim = 1.6K)
    Plan was to focus on some speed:
    200m Warm up
    400m (Pull Buoy & Paddles)
    4 X 50m Sprints (Fins)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    100m Easy
    8 x 25m Sprints
    100m Easy
    200m Cool Down

Wednesday 08/11/17

Bike - Turbo - 1 Hour 'Threshold'. Havent completed this session on the turbo since last march. Was dreading it, but delighted to get through it ok. Included 2 x 15 minutes in Upper Zone 4.

Thursday 09/11/17

Run = On the treadmill for the first time in a few years. 35 minutes at 1.0 incline at 10kph.

In Bruges for a few days with the wife, so no more training this week. A lot of walking planned in bruges and back next tuesday to commence training again.

Tuesday 14/11/17

Gym = 35 minutes

Swim = (Total Swim = 1.6K)
    Plan was to focus on some speed:
    200m Warm up
    500m (Pull Buoy & Paddles)
    4 X 50m Sprints (Fins)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    100m Easy
    8 x 25m Sprints
    200m Cool Down

Bike = Turbo (1 Hour) 'Strength' - Included 3 x 10 minutes in Zone 3 at 45,50 & 55 rpm's.

Wednesday 15/11/17

Run = 6.00 54.16 (9.02)

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour) 'Cadence'. Includes 2 x 12 minutes alternating between 90 rpm's & 120 rpm's.

Thursday 16/11/17

Gym = 30 Mins

Swim = (Total Swim = 1.85K) - Club Lesson
    Enjoyable session, more focused on Technique.

Saturday 18/11/17

Bike - Turbo (2 Hours) Heart rate in Finks Z1 (AVHR = 124).

Sunday 19/11/17

Run = 35 Mins - On treadmill with incline at 1.0 and speed 10kph.

Monday 20/11/17

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour) 'Sweetspot'. Included 40 minutes at Upper Zone 3/Lower Zone 4. Found this tough but managed to keep HR in the correct zone.

Tuesday 21/11/17

Run - Treadmill - 35 minutes Incline 1.0 10kph speed.

Swim - Total Swim (1.6K) Just completed the same sets that we done in the club lesson the previous Thursday.

Poor weeks training last week. To be fair, i had a bad head cold and slight chest infection from Wednesday to Saturday. In no shape to do any training and wisest course of action was to rest the body. Also my Dad is not well at the moment and i'm doing regular drives down and back to the hospital with him. Also long hours in work at the moment, coupled with trying to get study completed at home on my days off. Up the walls at the minute and training is suffering. Will keep plugging away though.

Monday 27/11/17

Bike - Turbo 'Cadence' - 1 Hour
    Took 5 days off training so started back with an easier session on the turbo.

Tuesday 28/11/17

Run - Treadmill - Ran for 35 minutes at incline of 1.0 and speed 10.0kph.

Wednesday 29/11/17

Bike - Turbo 'Strength' - 1 Hour
    Included 3 x 10 minutes in Zone 3 at 45, 50 & 55 rpm's.

Thursday 30/11/17

Run - Treadmill - Ran for 35 minutes at incline of 1.0 and speed 10.0kph.

Swim - Late for the club session, so decided to do my own session.
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    500m (Pull Buoy & Paddles)
    4 x 50m sprints (Fins)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    100m easy
    8 x 25m sprints
    200m Cool Down

Total Swim (1.6K).

Friday 01/12/17

Swim - Total Swim (1.6K)
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    400m (Boards & Fins / front & back)
    200m (Fins - on side)
    200m (Fins - on side & Front crawl)
    2 x 200m (25m, slow, 50m build, 25m fast, 50m decline, 50m recovery)
    200m Cool Down

Saturday 02/12/17

Bike - Turbo (2 Hours) Finks Z1.
    Spent couple of hours on the turbo keeping in Finks Z1 HR. AVHR = 126.

Sunday 03/12/17

Run - 6.00 51.52 (8.38)

Tuesday 05/12/17

Run - (Treadmill = 35 minutes) Incline = 1.0, Speed 10kph

Wednesday 06/12/17

Swim - Total Swim (2K) 'Endurance'
    Goal at the start of the year was to complete a 2K swim in the pool. Had already completed one this year in June, just wanted to see if i was still in shape to do this again at the end of the year.

Bike - (Turbo - 1 Hour 'Sweetspot'). This is always a tough one on the turbo compared to the road. Includes 40 minutes in upper Z3/ Lower Z4.

Thursday 07/12/17

Swim - Total Swim (1.6K)
    Plan was:

200m Warm up
    500m (Paddles & Pull Buoy)
    4 x 50m (Fins)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    100m Easy
    8 x 25m sprints
    200m Cool Down

Run - (Treadmill = 35 minutes). Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph.

Friday 08/12/17

Bike - (Turbo - 1 Hour, ' Cadence') A little handier session as had another 2 hours on the bike the next morning.

Saturday 09/12/17

Bike - (Turbo - 2 Hours, ' Finks Z1. AVHR = 124). Went ok, legs a little tired.

Sunday 10/12/17

Run (Treadmill = 55 minutes) Incline = 1.0, Speed 10kph. Had hoped to do this on the road, however, due to the slippy conditions, decided to stay indoors.

• Advertisement

Monday 11/12/17

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour) 'Strength'. Includes 3 x 10 minutes in Zone 3 at 45, 50 & 55 rpm's.

Tuesday 12/12/17

Swim (Total Swim = 1.4K)
    Plan was:

200m Warm up
    400m TT (Time trial = 8.15)
    100m easy
    50m Breaststroke
    200m TT (Time Trial = 3.59)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    50m (One arm)
    200m Cool Down)

Decided to do a time trial of 400/200m in order to get my updated CSS Pace. Disappointed with the times. Their a fair bit slower than they were 2 months ago, back to times i was doing in May. Having said that, ive slacked off a little lately on the swimming and need to get back into doing the css pace swims. CSS pace calculated at 2.08/per 100m.

Gym = S&C = 40 minutes.

Run = Treadmill = 35 minutes. Incline 1.0, Speed 10kph.

Wednesday 13/12/17

Swim (Total Swim = 1.6K) (Techniques/Drills)
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    500m (Paddles & Pull Buoys)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    100m (One arm)
    100m (One arm with Front Crawl)
    100m (Breathing 3/5/3/7)
    100m (Sighting)
    100m Easy
    200m Cool Down

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour) ' Threshold'. Always a tough one, particularly on the turbo. Includes 2 x 15 minutes in Upper Zone 4.

Thursday 14/12/17

Swim (Total Swim = 1.8K)
    Plan was:
    200m Warm up
    6 X 200m (CSS pace 2.08/100m with 20 seconds recovery)
    200m (Boards & Fins)
    200m Cool Down

First CSS Pace session in a couple of months. Anxious to get my times back down a little. Need to be consistent with these sessions.

Gym = S&C = 40 minutes

Run = Treadmill = 35 minutes. Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph

Saturday 16/12/17

Run = Treadmill = 55 minutes. Incline = 1.0, Speed = 10kph

Sunday 17/12/17

Bike - Turbo (1 Hour) 'VO2 Max. Decided against doing 2 hours in Finks zone 1 as was tight for time. Instead completed this VO2 Max session, which i hate doing as it can get tough. Includes 4x4 minutes in Zone 5 with 6 minutes recovery.

Advertisement