Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Cycling Apps

Options
  • 15-09-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi

I was wondering if anybody knew of a decent cycling iPhone app that logs your position on a map, speed, distance travelled, calories burnt, time, average speed etc etc etc

Preferably a free app but if there's a good paid one I would consider buying it.

I would just like something to track how much I'm cycling so at the end of each week I could see my routes, distance, average speed, time, calories etc etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I have the MapMyRide app. It'll track your route, speed, distance etc. However, battery life means you'll only get around a four hour spin in before the phone dies.

It's not a patch on a real bike computer though, which is far more accurate. My sole reason for installing it was to track spins on unfamiliar territory that I could look at on a map afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/maintenance/bike-apps-for-the-iphone/

my nokia sportstracker could easily do a 6hr ride and still have plenty of battery life left !

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Guys Do you fit the iphone on the bike or u just keep it in ur pocket??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I keep mine in my pocket - any mounts I have tried have been rubbish.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Last weeks Sunday Times "In Gear" section had an article on cycling apps for phones (including the IPhone), I can't acccess it online without a subscription, but I might still have the article at home if you want me scan it and post it up here for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

As said battery life is the main issue, you phone has to be fully charged before you go out and even then your luck if you get 4 hours out of it to be honest, esp if you are listening to the ipod. I have also found the it doesn't track the ride very well and will often miss sections. Hence I plan on getting a Garmin 800 when they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

never tried it, would never bring the iphone 4 out on a cycle. the battery life of the 4 though is much much improved over the 3g and 3gs so i'd say you'd get a good 5 hours out of it with gps on, as i get get a day and a half out of it using the ipod and 3g for 3hours a day, plus making and taking phone calls and about 20-30 texts a day. so the new iphone 4 would be well able for say a 4-5 hour cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Endomondo

Is a bit savage and not to mention free, I use the Nokia version on my n97 mini and have a friend who uses it on his iphone 4 the app its self is very good with some great features inc live track / pep talk etc

On of the best things about it is how good it is on battery life.

Check it on in the iTunes app store or on their site HERE

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

dont use iphone... yet. but i hear http://www.abvio.com/cyclemeter/ is the best one around.

ye should all throw away the iphone tho i think and get yerselves a blackberry i developed this app
    http://www.mobihand.com/product.asp?id=69752&n=BBSpeedOMeter

it will run for around 8-10 hours with the backlight always on (but dimmed to 30%) or about 30 hours with the backlight timeing out

i stick mine on the handlebars

131255750.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1284565770&Signature=uO%2BOYTASvjnJXF0oBNweMSLkCQU%3D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

I got RunKeeper which is amazing considering it costs so little (maybe it's free - I forget). However, it's probably not near as accurate as the 500E jobbies and the battery life in my older iPhone makes it impractical.

I also got Cychosis which is a log and looks promising. I only costs a few euros. There is a 'target' section in it which isn't very helpful.

I got a SizeMyBike one too, but it needs the usual measurements and I think you would need to get the measurements done professionally for it to be useful. It's probably the same software that the 'experts' use, but they have the right measureing gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

That looks like a pretty nifty app, Mark. Well done on developing it. Can you upload the data from a ride to see it in more detail on Google Maps (or similar)

Also, how do you stick yours on the handlebars? I've been using www which I find pretty good (and free) but I've been keeping it in my saddlebag, which is a pain.

Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 abbeyside1

I used runkeeper for months and to solve the battery problem i got a juicebox which doubles the battery life.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

damn my 2G iPhone and its lack of GPS :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

jeffwode wrote: »
    That looks like a pretty nifty app, Mark. Well done on developing it. Can you upload the data from a ride to see it in more detail on Google Maps (or similar)

Also, how do you stick yours on the handlebars? I've been using www which I find pretty good (and free) but I've been keeping it in my saddlebag, which is a pain.

Pat

At the moment you cant upload the data. but on my phone you can.. i'm working with ridewithgps at the moment to upload to their site, which is a free site so all you would have to do is register on the site, then in the app when you finish a trip you just click send to ridewithgps and it does it all in the background, it'll also output the link to the ridewithgps info to twitter or just output a summary of the info (distance, average speed, meters climbed etc). should be puttin that version up in the next couple of days, still waitin for them to fix a small bug on their side. you can also just output gpx or kml to the sdcard or email it to yourself from the app and that'll load in google earth. or i think most of the other sites like ride with gps will be able upload either of those files

I've 2 ways of puttin the blackberry on the handle bars. the first way cost me a couple of bucks and turned out to be not very good. i ordered an otterbox (thinking it was waterproof buts its not at all) and superglued the base off an old cateye computer to it so it just clips on.

the second way was free and much better. i just got an old leather case that came free with an old samsung and cut the face out of it then attached an elastic strap to the bottom of it. if its rainin i can put the ziplock bag (that the charger came in) around the phone and put it in that way, the bag is so tight on the phone you dont even really notice it. then i just put two holes in the case and ran a cable tie thru it to tie it to the handle bars.

If you have a blackberry and want to try out the app send me a pm and ill send you a link for a free version (had a good month this month so one freebee wont hurt)

ive used sportypal too, the user interface is fairly nice on that app but you dont get a whole lot of info just distance and average speed i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Runkeeper is amazing.
    Gives you your route on the map with each kilometre indicated. You're average speed is worked out each minute of the ride and is visible in a chart.
    Calories burned and the best one I think is it tells you how much you have climbed or decended in feet. Well recommend runkeeper and it's free.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I use MotionX GPS -- http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/

Never used a cycling computer so can't compare it, but it seems like a great app. It is rated app, although its not just for cycling (has a cycling mode tho).

el tonto wrote: »
    I have the MapMyRide app. It'll track your route, speed, distance etc. However, battery life means you'll only get around a four hour spin in before the phone dies.

The iPhone 4 has far greater battery life :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ellipse

+1 for Sportypal
    there is distance, time, calories burned, average speed ...
    www.sportypal.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

What I want is a tiny camera attached facing backwards on the seatpost just below the saddle.

Then I want to have it connect to the Iphone using bluetooth and an app that displays the view from behind along with the usual speedo information. Throw in extra screens with GPS/realtime maps and journey tracking/stats for good measure. Mount it on the headset in a waterproof case.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

droidus wrote: »
    What I want is a tiny camera attached facing backwards on the seatpost just below the saddle.

Then I want to have it connect to the Iphone using bluetooth and an app that displays the view from behind along with the usual speedo information. Throw in extra screens with GPS/realtime maps and journey tracking/stats for good measure. Mount it on the headset in a waterproof case.

I thought rear view mirrors on bikes were dorky, but you've completely out-dorked yourself there.

• Advertisement

:pac:

Well, mirrors would be useful, but they are far too dorky to actually put on a bike (not to mention increased width etc...), so I figured this would be a far less dorky solution. Way more geeky sure, but theres definitely a market for some kind of headset mounted touch screen control panel that does everything - cadence, distance, speed, journeys, tracking, mapping, music and phone (thru bluetooth headphones), filming & safety.

You'll be eating your words in 2 years time when its all the rage. :P

Nah, thats way too 'sporty' for my liking. I want something that would be useful for commuting.

You have to admit, being able to see behind you at all times can only be good for safety - and all the technology is there already. If I had the money Id get a programmer to cobble something together.

Looking over your shoulder costs nothing.

droidus, the problem is that you want a mirror to see behind you, but you fear that is too dorky. So you've smothered the dork cake in geek icing in a vain attempt to disguise it. You're fooling no-one. :pac:

lol. Look - is it, or is it not safer to be able to see behind you at all times with just a glance down?

The only reason mirrors are dorky is because they look dorky. If you replicate the functionality of mirrors without the look then you boil off the dorkiness in a crucible of nerdy utility.

Maybe I spend too much time looking over my shoulder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Does anyone have recommendations for their favourite iPhone/iPod Touch app for entering details about their ride?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Hi Guys

Just in case some of you dont know , Runkeeper is free to download this month. The full version.

• Advertisement

Threads merged

Advertisement