Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod gets annoyed, gives out infraction details, then locks thread...

Options
2»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

With the greatest respect, you really should not bother with a dispute resolution process at all if people who use it are then accused of making a mountain out of a molehill.
    The implication is that everyone who uses this process has a perfectly valid complaint that must be upheld, and that to fail to resolve a complaint in the user's favour renders the process invalid.

I've reviewed the issue. I fail to see anything that is left to be done other than to tell you what you want to hear. If you feel that renders the process pointless, then you are misunderstanding the point of the process.
    I'm reading this and seeing 'the answer to your question is no, no mod has ever been held to be wrong after this process'.
    The process has existed for a week. If you feel you can extrapolate anything of value from that period of time, we'll agree to differ.
    Thank you for the window dressing. It was mildly interesting. But lest you think I am making a mountain out of a molehill, I mean interesting as an exercise in confirming what I kinda thought at the outset as opposed to interesting like some new theory on the Law of Relativity.
    It has been pointed out that the moderator could have handled things somewhat better. The moderator has accepted that he could have handled things somewhat better.

I'm not sure what more you want, but if the absence of a pound of flesh somehow proves a pre-conceived notion you had, I'm glad for you.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    In hindsight I should have dealt with that particular thread/post in a more appropriate manner.

Thank you. Issue over.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    The moderator has accepted that he could have handled things somewhat better.

You're missing one important word there, the "finally" at the start of that sentence.

If EP's last post had been post number 2 above, there would have been no need for molehills, let alone mountains and pounds of flesh and worlds revolving around me and all the other accusations of dramatising the matter.

Thank you all for the input and time. No doubt we'll all watch with interest how this process develops over the next few weeks and months, and I can give you general ideas of the % of complaints upheld or mods corrected as against complaints made on the help or feedback forum.

...I can give you general ideas of the % of complaints upheld or mods corrected as against complaints made on the help or feedback forum.
    Why?

Why?

Why not?

Surely an idea of how many complaints are upheld cannot harm and may actually be interesting (again, relatively interesting)?

For what it's worth, my own experience is that the process was marked by a reluctance to make any concessions on behalf of the Mod, and a desire to focus on the wrongs of the poster, and it was not so much a resolution at all (although in fairness to EP his last post ends any difficulty I had with his actions) as a defence. That's no personal criticism of anyone involved, it may be the nature of any process where people are called in to assess the conduct of their colleagues. It might be no harm if a few posters who are not Mods were involved somewhere along the way, much like the way many complaints boards in many areas now involve lay people.

Why not?

Surely an idea of how many complaints are upheld cannot harm and may actually be interesting (again, relatively interesting)?
    It's only interesting if you can draw conclusions from the numbers. What conclusion would you draw from a value of 10% of upheld complaints? 50%? 90%?
    It might be no harm if a few posters who are not Mods were involved somewhere along the way, much like the way many complaints boards in many areas now involve lay people.
    We used to have that. It was called Feedback. It was a disaster.

• Advertisement

It's only interesting if you can draw conclusions from the numbers. What conclusion would you draw from a value of 10% of upheld complaints? 50%? 90%?

I don't want to name any posters or comment on the validity of other complaints, but looked around here in recent days and some of the complaints seemed to me to be sheer nonsense. Of course, those posters might well say the same about mine!

So I would expect the figure to be much closer to the 10/90 split than 50/5. Without checking anything, I suspect that, say complaints to Disciplinary Boards about Gardai or Solicitors or Doctors would reveal some mean in these matters. Most are by crackpots who probably spend the rest of their time phoning Joe Duffy.

On the other hand, if the figure was say 0% or some minute amount altogether, I'd wonder if everyone was really out of step with the mods.
    We used to have that. It was called Feedback. It was a disaster.

I think this forum is a very good idea. It will develop and evolve. I accept it can't be all things to all people after only one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Thank you. Issue over.

Can this be flagged as Resolved now please? I don't think it's the place to discuss the validity of the DRP forum.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Can this be flagged as Resolved now please?

I think it can anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I think it can anyway.

Cool. I'll see if I can figure out how to do that ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement