Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megathreads?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

seannash wrote: »
    whether ye like it or not you need people to pul you up on some of the (in my opinion) ludicrous things that come up.

if there was noone offering the other side of the story you guys would become alot more paranoid than you are(in my opinion)

as for the 3 messers,why do you bite.just dont take the bait.if you do take it its your own fault

To be fair I can see what you're getting at but this is a discussion forum not a debating one.
    We all want balanced discussion but some of what goes on here is beyond that and usually diverts into personal abuse and derailing of the thread.
    No one wants a forum where evryone agree's all the time, but we do want a forum where we don't get ridiculed for a belief or interest in a certain topic.

EDIT: Yekahs, feel free to delete this post if you feel it's out of line, I didn't realise you had infracted the post I quoted before I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Another Suggestion (specify in thread)
    It's easily done. I ran a few of these vbulletin forums back in my warez days. Piece of cake :D

It's easy to do, but the admins have to decide if it's necessary or not, and they may not approve it. The point of the forum, how it will be run, why it is necessary, what is the problem with the main forum and if there is some way that can be remedied instead all have to be taken into account.

As I said before, fix this forum before starting a sub forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

yekahs wrote: »
    Seannash, pay attention to this part of the charter.

Please don't use sweeping generalisations which indirectly attack or belittle other posters here. Posts which are insulting to those who believe conspiracies / the mainstream, for example, may be considered to be insulting to other posters, and as such will not be tolerated.
    my apologies

but there was no other way of saying it really.

not that im bothered but im sure you gave talkie an infraction for calling people messers.:)

anyway i think null sums it up
    No one wants a forum where evryone agree's all the time, but we do want a forum where we don't get ridiculed for a belief or interest in a certain topic.

but again if someone take the bait they can only blame themselves.they know who the messers (as they call them)are but they still decide to get involved with them.

i would also ask that if were gonna claim that CTer's are being ridiculed for there beliefs id really really like them to make some of there posts a bit less vague.

there does seem to be alot of ;) icons after suitably vague post and telling people its right in front of them they just have to look is not helping any discussion even if its not as derogatory as some of the other posts.

im not trying to offend anyone with this post so if its breaking the rules its unintentional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

It's easy to do, but the admins have to decide if it's necessary or not, and they may not approve it. The point of the forum, how it will be run, why it is necessary, what is the problem with the main forum and if there is some way that can be remedied instead all have to be taken into account.

As I said before, fix this forum before starting a sub forum.

Creating sub forums does "fix it", if the problem is that it's a mess.

Other forums have sub forums, obviously they were disorganised before, now they are less disorganised. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

uprising2 wrote: »
    Just had an idea..
    What about a free for all sticky?, poster's could vent their haterd and loathing of each other without risk of getting banned.
    A poster could be INVITED to "Take it to free for All?"and the threads left clear of petty or heated scuabbles.
    The Invited party could accept or ignore/reject the offer, the rule's of "Free for All" , there are no rules!;)

Just a thought!!:D
    A bit like thunderdome meets the CT forum..could be interesting:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Creating sub forums does "fix it", if the problem is that it's a mess.

Other forums have sub forums, obviously they were disorganised before, now they are less disorganised. ;)

My apologies, I thought you meant what was requested before with a sub forum only for CT'ers etc as a way to quit all the bickering, people demanding evidence etc.

Sub forums for 9/11 threads and NWO threads (I'd say anything else would just be in the main CT forum) might not be a bad idea. Although my personal opinion would be a combination of 3 and 4. Leaves things largely the way they are, but have a sticky for links to 9/11 / NWO threads and have no punishments if those threads are necro'd (Posted in after they've been dormant for over 2 months which usually results in the thread being locked)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭IceMaiden

Option 4
    If it would be possible to have some type of categories/sub-forums to my mind it may be easier to find a number of topics & be easier / simpler to look-up . As the page looks at the time of posting its not so easy to find what’s available or what has been discussed at previous times, obviously if nothing changes then its most unlikely anything will improve be that the content or the users & moderators or overall conduct & satisfaction or input.So remaining with any problems it already has & the consequences that occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

IceMaiden wrote: »
    If it would be possible to have some type of categories/sub-forums to my mind it may be easier to find a number of topics & be easier / simpler to look-up . As the page looks at the time of posting its not so easy to find what’s available or what has been discussed at previous times, obviously if nothing changes then its most unlikely anything will improve be that the content or the users & moderators or overall conduct & satisfaction or input.So remaining with any problems it already has & the consequences that occur.

LOL great idea :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

I would be in favour of the 'Ask Mahatma Coat a question' sticky.

If sub-forums were possible then I think they would be a better option than Mega-threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

Sub forums could rob the main forum of it's activity, though I'm probably wrong about that.

Any update on the multi-post feature? I think it's a vB add-on so it may not even be installed on boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Option 2
    nullzero wrote: »
    While I don't wish to comment on the context of what you're saying there I feel it's interesting that (I assume we're thinking of the same people here) none of those users have chosen to give any suggestions for how they feel the forum should be improved.

In fact as yet, no scepetics have added their two cents (unless they voted on the poll and decided not to comment).
    Surely as regular users they should be sharing their views with the rest of us so we can get a fair and balanced reading of what we all want.

Option 1 is the best in my opinion. The 9/11 thread was a joke with about 5 topics every three minutes. I have shared my view now nullzero. No conspiracy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Option 1 is the best in my opinion. The 9/11 thread was a joke with about 5 topics every three minutes. I have shared my view now nullzero. No conspiracy :)

I never thought there was a conspiracy there divorce referendum.
    But thanks for adding your thoughts, hopefully more sceptics follow your lead and share too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

nullzero wrote: »
    But thanks for adding your thoughts, hopefully more sceptics follow your lead and share too.:)

Number 4 for sure. Content will always get repeated, there's no avoiding it. The same arguments will happen time and time again and I don't think megathreads would necessarily stop this.

The problem with megathreads is that people don't have to "Stick to the OP", as anything 9/11 related would be considered relevant. There could be lots of points raised simultaneously from different posters which would lead to some points being ignored while others dominate the conversation. There could also be different conversations going on in the same thread between sets of posters addressing different topics. This could lead to very sporadic and difficult to follow discussions.

Or if it was implemented it could work out to be one of the best things to happen to the forum, who knows unless it's tried I guess! I still vote for 4 though because in my opinion the real problem isn't with the forum, it's with the posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭IceMaiden

Option 4
    Not sure if this is any use ,but it’s a index method used on another part of the forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055658106

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I've put in a proposal for a new sub forum.

Its here. Please go over there and show your support. A simple +1 post will be sufficient. If we get enough people in favour of it, it should be granted.

Also, as its going to be a huge task to get the the forum categorised, I suggest that some users could volunteer to help out. So each volunteer could take an area, say moon landings, and go back and find the best threads about the topic over the last while.

Edit: 1,000th post w00t!

Hi, I've made a sig there that people who want to promote the idea of the sub forum.

Its hosted here http://omg.wthax.org/sig_5.jpg

When you put it as your sig, use the link to the proposal here

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056037180

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Option 2
    I've put in a proposal for a new sub forum.

Its here. Please go over there and show your support. A simple +1 post will be sufficient. If we get enough people in favour of it, it should be granted.

Also, as its going to be a huge task to get the the forum categorised, I suggest that some users could volunteer to help out. So each volunteer could take an area, say moon landings, and go back and find the best threads about the topic over the last while.

Edit: 1,000th post w00t!

I could help out going over old threads, could be interesting. Draw the line at videos though.

I could help out going over old threads, could be interesting. Draw the line at videos though.

Cheers BB.

I'll stick a list of topics here in a while, and people who are interested can pick which ones they'd like to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I know that yekahs has requested the 9/11 subforum, but regarding the idea of "categorising" things...an alternate idea occurred to me today...one which could be used in the interim / instead of / as well as the subforum idea.

Basically, we could implement prefixes....just like you see on the Forum Request forum. So each major topic could have a prefix:

Anyhoo...if it sounds like an idea, we can discuss the prefixes.

JFK
    Moon (Landing)

At the top of the list of threads, there's a set of drop-downs for filtering threads. On forums where there are prefixes used, there is an option added for filtering by prefix...including "no prefix" as well as the specific prefixes.

It would still be something which would benefit from a run through the big historical threads to add prefixes to some of them....but moving forward it could be pretty handy.

bonkey wrote: »
    I know that yekahs has requested the 9/11 subforum, but regarding the idea of "categorising" things...an alternate idea occurred to me today...one which could be used in the interim / instead of / as well as the subforum idea.

Basically, we could implement prefixes....just like you see on the Forum Request forum. So each major topic could have a prefix:

Anyhoo...if it sounds like an idea, we can discuss the prefixes.

JFK
    Moon (Landing)

At the top of the list of threads, there's a set of drop-downs for filtering threads. On forums where there are prefixes used, there is an option added for filtering by prefix...including "no prefix" as well as the specific prefixes.

It would still be something which would benefit from a run through the big historical threads to add prefixes to some of them....but moving forward it could be pretty handy.

Yeah, that could be a good idea. It would be as good as the index thread idea, and would eliminate the need for another sticky thread.

As long as there is an option for "no prefix" as well, as thats one of the things I dislike about the SEI forum, as you have to choose either 'policy' or 'science' when often topics will involve both, or neither of those prefixes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

As long as there is an option for "no prefix" as well, as thats one of the things I dislike about the SEI forum, as you have to choose either 'policy' or 'science' when often topics will involve both, or neither of those prefixes.

I've had a quick look in the admin panel. As well as being assigned a group of prefixes, the forum can be configured for prefixes to be optional or required.

Advertisement