Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raikkonen possible return for 2011..!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

Raikkonen on 50 million!!!!:eek:

This brings some questions to mind for me

1) How did he get to negotiate that much .. he must have one hell of a manager/management company behind him....is that his wagepacket or do managers/flunkies etc all take their cut....is the amount simply a reflection coming second in 05, winning in 07, 3rd in 08 or were there other factors at play given other champions are earning so much less??

2) why quit? why not keep a good thing going?......how true is it that boredom with f1 was the main driving factor?....I just find it hard to swallow personally

3) I know money isn't everything but whats he making in rallying..surely it doesn't even approach that type of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

amacca wrote: »
    1) How did he get to negotiate that much .. he must have one hell of a manager/management company behind him....is that his wagepacket or do managers/flunkies etc all take their cut....is the amount simply a reflection coming second in 05, winning in 07, 3rd in 08 or were there other factors at play given other champions are earning so much less??
    Good negotiating and sponsors. Sponsors rather than teams pay the bulk of the wages most of the time.
    2) why quit? why not keep a good thing going?......how true is it that boredom with f1 was the main driving factor?....I just find it hard to swallow personally
    Once Massa got injured Ferrari had to keep him for this year. Whether they would have anyway or not is another thing which I don't want to discuss. Anyway since Ferrari were out it left few options, and most teams/sponsors couldn't afford to pay more than the amount that Ferrari were giving him to not drive in F1.
    3) I know money isn't everything but whats he making in rallying..surely it doesn't even approach that type of money.
    He's on 10+ million a year from Ferrari for not being in F1 so the rallying money ain't too important.

Vettel is his own manager

lol:D, hes not doing a very good job is he. I feel more kindly disposed to him now after reading that...cant help being a bit of a begrudger

I reckon I could extract a bit more out of red bull for him, he should take me on as his agent/manager.

The pay level definitely doesn't match the talent level. despite what I may think of him this season.

amacachi wrote: »
    Good negotiating and sponsors. Sponsors rather than teams pay the bulk of the wages most of the time.

so presumably hes a popular guy in Finland and/or very marketable elsewhere too for companies to be willing to pay percentages of that kind of a wage packet.

Once Massa got injured Ferrari had to keep him for this year. Whether they would have anyway or not is another thing which I don't want to discuss. Anyway since Ferrari were out it left few options, and most teams/sponsors couldn't afford to pay more than the amount that Ferrari were giving him to not drive in F1.

He's on 10+ million a year from Ferrari for not being in F1 so the rallying money ain't too important.

Bear with me, im fairly unfamiliar with the set up but am I correct in saying that massa got injured and the terms of his contract were that Ferrari had to hold onto him because of this

that then left one spot open on the team and ferrari wanted to fill that with alonso so there was no place for former champion Raikkonen

so they then paid him to vacate his seat in order to free it up for Alonso?

sorry about all the questions but does that mean this arrangement ends after this season and raikonnen has to find a new paymaster?

amacca wrote: »
    so presumably hes a popular guy in Finland and/or very marketable elsewhere too for companies to be willing to pay percentages of that kind of a wage packet.
    I don't know the ins and outs but going to Ferrari makes a driver more marketable, certain companies will have drivers they want onboard and having a certain driver/team combination will lead them to be willing to pay massive sponsorship money.
    Bear with me, im fairly unfamiliar with the set up but am I correct in saying that massa got injured and the terms of his contract were that Ferrari had to hold onto him because of this

that then left one spot open on the team and ferrari wanted to fill that with alonso so there was no place for former champion Raikkonen

so they then paid him to vacate his seat in order to free it up for Alonso?

sorry about all the questions but does that mean this arrangement ends after this season and raikonnen has to find a new paymaster?
    Alonso had been signed for this season before Massa got injured. There was nothing to stop Ferrari getting rid of Massa except that it would've made for massively awful publicity. No team which depends on sponsorship is going to say "Yes he recovered from brain surgery, now we're getting rid of him".
    I'm not sure if Raikkonen will stop getting paid by Ferrari this season or next, but after that I doubt he's too worried. He could most likely get a decent drive in F1 if he wants or he can stick to the rallying, I doubt money is high on his list of concerns for the moment. I think he part owns an F3 team or something so he could throw himself more into that as well if he felt like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I thought it was 2 pay-off options this year for him from Ferrari.

Option

A) $25 Million and NOT to drive for any other team in 2010

B) $10 Million if he does drive for another team in 2010

That makes it $25 million to drive rally this year plus whatever Red Bull are paying him
    Possibly the hightest paid Rally driver this year.
    another record for him :D

vectra wrote: »

Option

That makes it $25 million to drive rally this year plus whatever Red Bull are paying him

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but either way it would've been hard to find a team that could sort that 15 million gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He would be hard pressed to get Renault to fork that out considering he hasnt been in F1 for a year, had 2 bad years before that, and his laziness will always be called into question.

That and I firmly believe Kubica is more than a match for him any time of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

vectra wrote: »

Option

I think he is getting the $10M from Ferrari/Santander, 25 was if he sat on his hole and twiddled his thumbs for 2010.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I think he is getting the $10M from Ferrari/Santander, 25 was if he sat on his hole and twiddled his thumbs for 2010.

Yes
    That is what I said
    25 million NOT to drive for another team

10 Million if he DID drive for another team
    But wasnt that only an F1 team?
    I dont think that deal had anything to do with any other motorsport.
    They were just afraid in case he got a drive in a top team and would scupper their plans for Alonso and make them look like right idiots :pac:

• Advertisement

Rumour looks to have some truth..
    Renault Team Principal Eric Boullier has revealed that 'his' team is getting closer to making a decision on who will partner Robert Kubica in 2011. However he added that while Kimi Räikkönen is still in the frame, he wants to meet with the Finn before making a final decision.

FULL STORY HERE :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭reiger

raikkonen may be a Monster man next year Ken block and monster are looking to bring him to the monster ford world rally team,but if red bull stay with him you may see him heading for prodrive to join kris Meeke and possiably marcus Gronholm,he maybe pushed the door of citroen one reason been there maynot be a car for him till midway through the season as the DS3 will be in short supply and leob, Oiger and Sordo will get the cars before him

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭FREDNISMO

I Don't Rate Ken Block or Kimi as rally drivers,there are far more talented drivers out there, but i suppose money talks.

No one ever said they were the worlds best sure dan mckenna or garry mcphiliphs id beat them any day with their Mk2's but they add a diffrent perspective to the sport and the wrc has done well publicty wise out of the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Kimi rules out driving for Renault
    "I am very disappointed with how they have used my name for their own marketing. I have never even seriously considered driving for Renault, and I can assure you that I am 100 per cent sure that I will not drive for Renault next season."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87205

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Sutil or Heidfeld to drive the 2nd Renault next year i think. If its Sutil then Heidfeld should get his FI seat.

It was weird that the team said that they had been in contact with Raikkonen, cause usually all that stuff is kept quiet etc.

Id say Heidfled or Sutil will be there now, and petrov to Lotus maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Gintonious wrote: »
    It was weird that the team said that they had been in contact with Raikkonen, cause usually all that stuff is kept quiet etc.

Presumeably it was said to put pressure on Petrovs backers for more money.

Kimi has lost the redbull backing for 2011 according to french sources and petter solberg is in talks with the citroen factory team to join the junior team with sordo,so no place for kimi at citroen next year,talk that redbull are to back mini.
    Monster have been keen on kimi so he could be heading for the monster ford team to join ken block.it looks like the only spot hes left.or else it could be bye bye kimi from the WRC.

Kimi has sunk to a new all time low hes done in the C4 on the shakedown stage this morning its badly damaged and will not be fixed as the cage is damaged,so he will be a non starter on rally spain.
    Citroen are sick of him even though hes gives them around 2.5 million in red bull money,as bad as Evgeny Novikov was he never was this bad.
    this incident could hamper where Kimi goes next year and he has definitely lost the red bull money.so he's not that attractive of a proposition anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

video here, looks low speed, bad mistake, unlucky to be out before it starts
    http://wrc.com/video/browse-all/spain-2010-kimiout/?vid=1816&pg=1

Jesus, he must be regretting this decision now.

he seems happy enough, as long as he can keep a drive

Doubt we will see much of him now, he'll need to up his game a lot next year, and considering Kubicia did well at rallying last weekend and is still well on it in F1, no excuse for Kimi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Kubicia would do well in WRC if he got the chance. He has a lot more natural ability in a rally car than Kimi. This video shows how good a driver he actually is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

wobbles wrote: »
    Kubicia would do well in WRC if he got the chance. He has a lot more natural ability in a rally car than Kimi. This video shows how good a driver he actually is

His gear change reminds me of the F-Duct. F1 this year must have been practice for that ;):p

malcom wilson was interveiwed over the weekend in spain and he was making all the right noises about bring Kimi to the ford monster team for next year.
    Kubica looks away better prospect if he was ever to convert,would have loved to have seen him out in the Skoda WRC he bought last year,Maybe we might get to see him on the WRC next year if Renault get this FWD N4 production cup Megane out next year

http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6474184/And-again-Kimi-s-not-returning-to-F1
    In case you missed it the first 20-odd times it was said: Kimi Raikkonen will not be returning to Formula One next season.

The Finn, who left Formula One at the end of the 2009 season after parting ways with Ferrari and failing to land a McLaren drive, was linked to a possible return to Renault.

However, the move didn't come off with Raikkonen actually hitting out the team for using his name to boost their image.

That followed by reports from all quarters saying the 2007 World Champ would not be returning to Formula One next season.

But in case you missed it, his manager Steve Roberston has repeated it.

"We're no longer looking at opportunities in F1. Kimi seems to be focused on rallying at the moment," he told Finnish television station MTV3.

Roberston, though, did not rule out the possibility of Raikkonen returning at a later stage.

"Never say never, but right now our eye is not on F1," he added.

"Nothing's been decided yet (for the WRC). We'll let you know when there is something to say. At the moment nothing has been signed. We're talking to several teams."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That should effectively conclude this thread.

• Advertisement

well all thats left is to speculate on what he will do in 2011,top line wrc now not looking good ken block wants chris atkinson with him at monster,that may cool what ever ford intrest,and there will be no private teams in 2011,no works team wants to realise new cars into private hands till 2012

Advertisement