Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaning of "Béarla"

Options
  • 14-09-2010 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I know it is the word for the English language. But what is it derived from? All the other denominations for languages are derived from the people or country connected with them (well, most of the times at least). But Béarla puzzles me. I cannot make any connection to any region or any people or any event.

Does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Sacs-Béarla is the long version

I heard Béarla means or use to mean jibberish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Sacs-Béarla

What is the literal translation of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The meaning of Béarla is speech according to Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla Uí Dhónaill.

Dineen gives the following terms: Béarla Chríost (Latin), Béarla Eadarscartha (the parted language/an old dialect of Irish).

Sacs = Saxon
    Sasanach = Saxon (person)

Thanks for that

Did they have a work for the Normans?

• Advertisement

na normannaigh - the normans

Remember the normans didnt speak English or anglo-saxon they spoke French, there are a few words in Gaeilge with French roots like,

gasúr - child/boy (garcon)
    gasún - boy (garcon)
    seomra - room (chambre)

Crosáidí wrote: »
    na normannaigh - the normans

Remember the normans didnt speak English or anglo-saxon they spoke French, there are a few words in Gaeilge with French roots like,

Appreciate they spoke French, but did the Irish identify them as a separate race of people to the native English

Re Irish words with French roots

Does on Reynard for a fox date back to this time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Appreciate they spoke French, but did the Irish identify them as a separate race of people to the native English
    Yeah they did. The Irish had known the Anglo-Saxons for some time at that point (over four centuries). Where as the Normans were a new arrival to the British Isles. Also the Irish at the time had a tendency to classify people by their language so the Normans with their French stood out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

Interesting! My linguistic world is whole again. :D I simply could not make Béarla fit anywhere. No i can.
    Thanks a lot and also for the background information.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

As Crosáidí says, it comes from an old word meaning gibberish.* As far as I know the root word was "Geurla".

*For some childish reason, this pleases me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

Reminds me of the Greek "barbaros" also meaning stammering or gibberish. ;)

Advertisement