Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlock/Root/Flash Service (Ideal for non-techies)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Not sure what happened here. I did want partyatmygaff to do the entire process. I don't like spending hours researching things like this that I'm only ever going to do once. Do bear in mind, that the very first time I rooted, partyatmygaff did it totally out of kindness and no "reward" was offered pre root. I asked every question I could, every little detail and linked the whole conversation here: http://www.vantasks.ie/xpdesireroot.html I posted him a spare desire silicone case and a HTC t-shirt as a thank you.

I wouldn't have been confident doing this alone and I like knowing if I need to know something, I can get a pretty solid solution from pamg.

So because I value the service, I proposed that he help me again and I told him I've no problem paying for his time and knowledge.

There's no need for this thread to be turned into anything other than a notice for people like me to be able to get their phone how they want it, without needing to know how to do it.

Before 2.2, there were even more reasons to root, I was already rooted and because I couldn't do a typical OTA upgrade to 2.2, I needed pamg knowledge on how to go about upgrading. I didn't want to do all the research so I just got pamg to do the whole thing.

If there's at least one other person out there who requires the same as I did, then this thread will serve purpose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Hi Guys (particulary partyatmygaff)

I have supposedly rooted my phone, using the one click method (on a glaxy s)
    I downloaded the update zip file, transferred ot to the internal card, rebooted and selected the update zip file.
    I have the little ninja icon on my apps (super user) but, according to the guys at one click, you should be able to type in the kletters su in Terminal emulator, and it should let you then enter some command lines. When I enter the command su I only get the message :not found

Also, I have downloaded a few apps, (screen shot for one) that when I go to use them, displays the message error on fb0, and also displays a message about the app only being available for rooted phones?

Any ideas, where I may have gone wrong?

Cheers in advance!

Gucky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

If there is a market out there for a start to finish root and flash then so be it. I just don't think its in anyway necessary. Just log onto xda developers and look at the stickied threads. Its step by step. A quick Google would land you there or modaco etc. There is a plethora of info out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If there is a market out there for a start to finish root and flash then so be it. I just don't think its in anyway necessary. Just log onto xda developers and look at the stickied threads. Its step by step. A quick Google would land you there or modaco etc. There is a plethora of info out there.

There's too much info in my opinion. Too many different mods, too many different roms, too many options to know which to go for. Rom ovens all that stuff, I don't have time to be reading up on all that. With partyatmygaff doing this, I can tell him exactly what I want my phone to do, what I don't want and he'll sort it for me within an hour for a reasonable rate and let me get on with what I have to do. To me, partyatmygaff is an expert at Desire/Android stuff, to get an expert sorting out your phone for you and making it exactly as the user wants within an hour is a pretty good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Totally agree with cormie here. partyatmygaff is a legend by the way. Finally got my phone rooted and flashed with LeeDroid and there is no way I would have got it done without his help. It's actually like having a new phone all over again!!
    Thanka a million partyatmygaff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Gucky wrote: »
    Hi Guys (particulary partyatmygaff)

I have supposedly rooted my phone, using the one click method (on a glaxy s)
    I downloaded the update zip file, transferred ot to the internal card, rebooted and selected the update zip file.
    I have the little ninja icon on my apps (super user) but, according to the guys at one click, you should be able to type in the kletters su in Terminal emulator, and it should let you then enter some command lines. When I enter the command su I only get the message :not found

Also, I have downloaded a few apps, (screen shot for one) that when I go to use them, displays the message error on fb0, and also displays a message about the app only being available for rooted phones?

Any ideas, where I may have gone wrong?

Cheers in advance!

Gucky
    You've got superuser permissions installed but the actual su application that allows for root access seems to be missing. You could try reflashing the update.zip but personally I used this http://android.modaco.com/content/samsung-galaxy-s-s-modaco-com/314988/03-august-r2-xxjp3-froyo-pre-rooted-insecure-boot-clockworkmod-recovery-for-odin/

Download that and extract it. This is a rooted FroYo ROM with ClockWorkMod Recovery.
    Just open up odin.exe and choose your PDA, Modem and CSC files as well as the PIT file that came in the package. Then restart your phone in download mode by holding down home, volume down and power, plug it in and push start.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I think some folks here are being very harsh to partyatmygaff.

He seems like a very knowledgeable android user who is more than willing to help other people.

I dont agree with some of his opinions regarding SGS, but aren't we all entitled to our opinions.

The android forum is a better place for having people like partyatmygaff on board.

You've got superuser permissions installed but the actual su application that allows for root access seems to be missing. You could try reflashing the update.zip but personally I used this http://android.modaco.com/content/samsung-galaxy-s-s-modaco-com/314988/03-august-r2-xxjp3-froyo-pre-rooted-insecure-boot-clockworkmod-recovery-for-odin/

Download that and extract it. This is a rooted FroYo ROM with ClockWorkMod Recovery.
    Just open up odin.exe and choose your PDA, Modem and CSC files as well as the PIT file that came in the package. Then restart your phone in download mode by holding down home, volume down and power, plug it in and push start.

So, can I just be clear (sorry for being a noob)
    I have opened the file as suggested by your self, do I just select the file modem pda etc (when I tick boxes it is asking me to select files on desktop etc) leave these blank?
    And select the pit file that was in the origoinal package?

Cheers

So, can I just be clear (sorry for being a noob)
    I have opened the file as suggested by your self, do I just select the file modem pda etc (when I tick boxes it is asking me to select files on desktop etc) leave these blank?
    And select the pit file that was in the origoinal package?

Cheers
    No you need to click the checkbox and choose the corresponding file i.e. PDA with PDA, CSC With CSC.

No you need to click the checkbox and choose the corresponding file i.e. PDA with PDA, CSC With CSC.

Got it sorted mate!

Only prob I have now, lost all my 3G setting for mobile internet,mms etc!
    Not to worried though as I can still access via wifi, and can get on to 3 Ireland customer care in the morning!

May I also add, your a legend, phone running like a dream mate!

5 stars!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

I've just started looking at the HTC desire today and didn't have an android before.. Anyway followed all the posts by PAMG and think he is an absolute genius, and his stalker an absolute dick that is trying to be smart. Now I didn't have a clue how much you could do with these phones until now but I am massively intrigued! I need a phone now(my one just broke) so I'm going try and get one tomorrow but apparently meteor are out of stock.. But from what I've read PAMG knows his stuff and if I have any probs that's where I'l be going, for a fee ofc.. Going to get researching but I'm sure I'l run into problems.. Sorry for my ignorance towards androids! I'l learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

PAMG is one of the few Android users on this forum whose posts I actually look out for, no offence to anyone else but there are alot of clueless users out there and it seems they are being helped by him, I know I couldn't be arsed!

Anything to promote the use of Android on boards should be encouraged not inhibited..

FREE PARTYATMYGAFF!

Moderators, if your reading this, pamg would be a perfect mod for the mobile forms (esp android) he certainly is no bull pooher, when it comes to knowing his stuff!

Disregard my earlier post about phone rooted, but no mobile internet access (phone started on data roaming by default) pamg had my phone rooted (correctly) now running 2.2, completely lag free, and its like having a brand new phone!

Partyatmygaff for moderator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

As much as some of you want to have partyatmygaff's children, it is OT. Please return to the topic or get a room together - elsewhere. Only warning.

Uses his newly rooted android phone to search for rooms rented by the hour.........:D:D:D

Just tring to show our appreciation, thats all, sorry mods

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

partyatmygaff rooted my phone for me last night. If anybody needs help with doing this, I recommend you get in touch. He know his stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brianw

i rooted my galaxy s recently in order to run the lag fix app. seemed to work well, but starting to notice a bit of lag again.

in order to avail of official 2.2 update whenever it comes, does the phone being rooted or not make any difference?

brianw wrote: »
    i rooted my galaxy s recently in order to run the lag fix app. seemed to work well, but starting to notice a bit of lag again.

in order to avail of official 2.2 update whenever it comes, does the phone being rooted or not make any difference?

been wondering about this myself!
    anyone shine any light on this? thanks to partyatmygaff, my phones also rooted, but curious as to wether or not froyo will update on a rooted machine?

brianw wrote: »

been wondering about this myself!
    anyone shine any light on this? thanks to partyatmygaff, my phones also rooted, but curious as to wether or not froyo will update on a rooted machine?
    It won't really make any difference. You can flash your phone with any ROM rooted, unrooted FroYo or not through ODIN. All you'll miss is automatic OTA updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

@partyatmygaff: Need to get my wife's Xperia X10 Mini Pro upgraded to at least 2.1. Is this possible? Checking out XDA there does appear to be a limited root process available but absloutely no custom ROM's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Great idea for a thread - I was thinking of actually asking if someone offred this service. I managed to Root my HTC desire but I have not been able to get any ROM's onto it, I'm hearing things about debranding and gold cards but I'm daunted by the task of doing it all, the rooting took me many hours over many days to get right.

Although you could do it over remote desktop and skype/msn, is there anyone in (South) Dublin who would do this for me if pay them? I'm happy to call over I just need to get this done it's driving me nuts!
    Thanks

squire23 wrote: »
    @partyatmygaff: Need to get my wife's Xperia X10 Mini Pro upgraded to at least 2.1. Is this possible? Checking out XDA there does appear to be a limited root process available but absloutely no custom ROM's
    Unfortunately it can't be done as of yet. You need some form of a leaked ROM from Sony Ericsson or at least a similar device to port a ROM from.
    Zascar wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread - I was thinking of actually asking if someone offred this service. I managed to Root my HTC desire but I have not been able to get any ROM's onto it, I'm hearing things about debranding and gold cards but I'm daunted by the task of doing it all, the rooting took me many hours over many days to get right.

Although you could do it over remote desktop and skype/msn, is there anyone in (South) Dublin who would do this for me if pay them? I'm happy to call over I just need to get this done it's driving me nuts!
    Thanks
    I could do it for you if you'd like over Remote Desktop? It's really nothing too daunting but that depends on what method you used to root.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭older i get better i was

Hi I have an swung galaxy trend plus only since august. I have only a handful of photos, no music, and have added maybe 5 apps and its saying its out of memory, can u help? I think I need to uninstall some of the bag load of pte installed apps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Do not bump old threads. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement