Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with this forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Most of what is referred to as Literature with so called recognised artistic value is boring crap ................for me. But i do respect other people enough to have no problems with their opinions or what they read.If you check my posts you will see I have never made a negative comment about anyones reading habits or book choice.
    If they like it ....fair play to them.I did say so called snobs as they were referred to in other posts.The context in which i used it,was to advise that you ignore such people and read and post about what you like.
    If you want your reading choices to be respected, then you also have to respect the choices that other people make

Obviously you did'nt get what I was saying in my post.............I don't require anyone to respect my reading choices ,as I read for my own pleasure not for others apreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Maybe a sub forum called general fiction might work .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It would make sense for it to be in this forum if the discussion were around the book itself.

For example, Darwin's "Origin of Species" might be very interesting to discuss here. Its publication date, how many copies it sold [sold out on its first day of release btw], how it popularised science to the common reader, etc and how it interconnects with contemporaneous literature of the time. The discussion would be more about the book and less about evolution if you get me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Regarding technical books, or books of a specific genre, I think there's no point in getting too caught up in which forum they belong. The OP will make the judgement call as to whether the book in question might have a more general audience and post here, or will only be known to (or be of interest to) a sub-forum on Boards. In short, the idea that the forum will be inundated with posts about "books" that are better placed elsewhere is imagined.

Using the On the Origin of Species example, the OP has a choice of several forums to create a thread in. Here would be best to get the opinions of general "book readers" who may have picked it up at some point. It could equally be posted in the Biology, Anthropology or Atheism & Agnosticism forum if more focussed responses were sought.
    rebeve wrote: »
    Maybe a sub forum called general fiction might work .
    You'd need one too for non-fiction then, and with 3 forums would be spreading the current volume of posts a bit thin, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I've only just caught this thread, which probably illustrates the point I'm about to make. I'm a book fiend. A fanatic. If you asked my friends and family what my addiction is, they wouldn't have to think for long before saying 'books'.

When I first joined boards (as opposed to lurking as a guest) I was delighted to find a literature forum. I love literature, be it popular or classic, but the majority of my reading (around 70%) is probably popular fiction. I checked this board pretty regularly when I started - daily to begin with. After a while that dwindled and now I probably only check in once a week or so. So what's the reason for an avid reader not really checking a literature forum?

Well, basically, I agree with the OP. The focus does appear to be on more literary fiction. Which is absolutely fine, if that is what the majority of the posters enjoy. Classical literature is great, because usually you will have many people who have read them, but I find more contemporary literature books more difficult. They are, by the very nature of them NOT being popular fiction, much less likely to have attracted as many readers. Just my opinion, but I've found it to be true among people I know who read. It can be hard to get a real discussion started if only two people have read a particular book :pac:

The only problem, and I do think it is one, is that I think the lack of threads on more popular fiction might prevent 'new blood' from joining these discussions. I know when I join a forum, the first thing I do is lurk a bit and get a general idea of what is on and what's not. I also read charters, but this forum doesn't have a really obvious one (I am aware that there is the 'A few simple reminders thread' but it's not blatantly 'here's the charter').

I suppose it is a bit of a difficult scenario. Having arrived on here as a relative newbie, I wouldn't post a thread about the latest thriller I've just lashed through because I assume it's not the done thing. That said, if I don't, how would anyone else arriving after me know that it is ok. Maybe some of the responsibility lies with the current posters in the forum (and I include myself in this despite my pathetic post count) in that if you want more popular fiction threads, start them.

tl;dr
    I think it'd be a good idea to have an official charter which explicitly states that popular fiction threads are welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

EMF2010 wrote: »
    I think it'd be a good idea to have an official charter which explicitly states that popular fiction threads are welcome :)

I second this idea, but I also think changing the title to books would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

I'm sure it's been suggested (the thread is way too long to read completely) but why isn't the forum just called Books?

Edit: Obviously I could have just read the post above mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

EMF2010 wrote: »
    Maybe some of the responsibility lies with the current posters in the forum (and I include myself in this despite my pathetic post count) in that if you want more popular fiction threads, start them.

I think it does, really. I know it may be intimidating, so the kind of charter clarification you proposed, whereby it would be specifically stated that popular fiction threads are as good as any other threads, would be welcome. This could be tied in with the respecting one another's views position.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

If anyone wants to start a thread on Archer of Harris I'd love to get involved. Thrillers are good in their own right (I'd see it as the difference between a competant action movie/whodunnit and a 'serious' or 'arthouse' film. Inevitably you're going to spend a bit longer discussing Pan's Labyrinth than you are 'The Bourne Identity' ;)) Both have their merits though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

That's ridiculous on a number of levels. First off, how can you compare the buzz around a book that was released less than a month ago (Freedom) and one that was released just under a year ago (The Scarpetta Factor)?

Plus you are comparing a stand alone novel with the 17th book in a series of novels. I don't buy that literary fiction is more interesting to discuss. You have picked one very recent book to back up your assertion but I last year I could have said that popular fiction is more interesting to discuss because loads of people are talking about The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo books. But it would be wrong because any book is interesting to discuss if you are a fan of it.

Perhaps it is time to move this to feedback to see what other members of boards think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

How about The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo then? I can't think of many books that have recieved as much attention and discussion. over tha past two years and it is definitely popular fiction

Of course. :) Your point is perfectly valid in the same way that I may like to discuss football and not cricket. That doesn't make discussing cricket any less valid... it just means I am more of a football fan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Isn't the point that some books will prompt a lot more discussion given the complexity of their meaning/plot/conclusion?

Some books you'll just love reading, and some books might be harder work, but it's the latter you find yourself thinking about for days after. Of course it's a generalisation to call them popular and literary fiction respectively, but it's only label to highlight a point here.

Advertisement