Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Listening to him on Newstalk right now. He just sounds like a naive optimist, who dismisses all reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Anyone get an actual response to an email yet?
    I just got a response saying the email was noted and would be passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

It's not anti science because it's anti evolution, I wouldn't call it anti science because I dont think it should be even remotely associated with science in general. Any argument I have heard from him or any extract I have seen does not in any way follow the rigors of scientific research. His arguments are not scientific at all, when he says rubbish along the lines of "darwin says we are the cousins of turnips and banana's because we share some DNA them, this is ridiculous, therefore evolution cant be true", it demonstrates just how little he understands on the topic he is trying to discuss. It's like something from south park really. For it to be called anti science I think he would first of all have to demonstrate that he fully understands what he is trying to "disprove".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Someone please tell me this stuff will be online at some stage?

click listen live

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It just finished. :( I heard the last bit about ape arms and human arms DNA. :( Seriously though if we'd just kept our mouths shut this gombeen wouldn't be getting the air time he is getting now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Dougla2

yeah i hope that its put online , do they do that on newstalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

token56 wrote: »
    It's not anti science because it's anti evolution, I wouldn't call it anti science because I dont think it should be even remotely associated with science in general. Any argument I have heard from him or any extract I have seen does not in way follow the rigors of scientific research. His arguments are not scientific at all, when he says rubbish along the lines of "darwin says we are the cousins of turnips and banana's because we share some DNA them, this is ridiculous, therefore evolution cant be true", it demonstrates just how little he understands on the topic he is trying to discuss. It's like something from south park really. For it to be called anti science I think he would first of all have to demonstrate that he fully understands what he is trying to "disprove".

I'd say the opposite tbh. In order to mount a scientific objection to a theory you have to fully understand it. It's when you have no understanding of the thing you're trying to disprove and end up spouting nonsense that you're engaged in "anti-science"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Dougla2 wrote: »

Yes they do. www.newstalk.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Yeah sorry, the feed started stalling on me & I missed the last few minutes.

This is pathetic, I hope plenty of doctors will go tomorrow and ask this
    fruitcake some good questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

token56 wrote: »
    It's not anti science because it's anti evolution, I wouldn't call it anti science because I dont think it should be even remotely associated with science in general. Any argument I have heard from him or any extract I have seen does not in way follow the rigors of scientific research. His arguments are not scientific at all, when he says rubbish along the lines of "darwin says we are the cousins of turnips and banana's because we share some DNA them, this is ridiculous, therefore evolution cant be true", it demonstrates just how little he understands on the topic he is trying to discuss. It's like something from south park really. For it to be called anti science I think he would first of all have to demonstrate that he fully understands what he is trying to "disprove".

That's exactly what I was just thinking. It's either the best hoax ever or the best argument from incredulity I've ever heard. I mean the talk about "DNA gloop - how does that become a nose?" Wow, what ignorance. I don't mind anyone who wants to ask that question, but to write a book when you have no basic knowledge of the subject is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I'd say the opposite tbh. In order to mount a scientific objection to a theory you have to fully understand it. It's when you have no understanding of the thing you're trying to disprove and end up spouting nonsense that you're engaged in "anti-science"

Hmmm, I can see your point, maybe I'd prefer to call it "non-science", although probably with the same meaning as what you describe as anti science.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

It should be up later this afternoon (today's Lunchtime Show is already there)

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/moncrieff/listen-back/

It should be up later this afternoon (today's Lunchtime Show is already there)

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/moncrieff/listen-back/

nice thanks

EDIT~: To find it its in tuesday part 2 @ 32:00 or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Online now.

This man is a fool. Although I am intrigued about how he reads things "Forensically"

CSI: Evolution

briano wrote: »
    Online now.

This man is a fool. Although I am intrigued about how he reads things "Forensically"

hahah lol , i bought the greatest show on earth to make myself feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Thanks to everyone who sent emails to the Minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Online now.

You have to buy his book to find out. He ignores all sorts of evidence, but asks us to believe him. He should put his book online free so it can be peer reviewed, but somehow I don't think it'll happen

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You have to buy his book to find out. He ignores all sorts of evidence, but asks us to believe him. He should put his book online free so it can be peer reviewed, but somehow I don't think it'll happen

probably find it on some torrent website , no way should any one buy it and support him

Color lenihan is going to be on George hook, wonder if they'll mention it?

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Color lenihan is going to be on George hook, wonder if they'll mention it?

on newstalk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Online now.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=5kY&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=define%3Aforensic&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Malari wrote: »
    He sounds like that Irish "Derren Brown" fella.

Huh?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can't imagine Hooky being too up with the natural sciences, and consequently might take the view that such a book could be a valid alternative view.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And folks, maybe tone the name-calling and vitriol pointed at the author. It's not necessary and a little over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dades wrote: »
    And folks, maybe tone the name-calling and vitriol pointed at the author. It's not necessary and a little over the top.

In the same vein, doubt the folks at Nat Geo will appreciate him holding up their magazine and shouting "BULLSH*T!".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Was on matt cooper just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

axer wrote: »
    Was on matt cooper just there.

Is there a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Huh?
    I had the same reaction. Derren Brown is quite a vocal atheist and sceptic.

on newstalk?

Actually, I think I misheard George. Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Malty_T wrote: »
    Is there a link?

Don't bother, Mat did what the rest of the media should have done and asked why is this a problem? Then moved on. Gave the bit all of about 2 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement