Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It would be more accurate to say his maths is wrong. Actual mathematics used by people who know what they're talking about goes a long way to supporting evolution.

J C wrote: »
    He may be right ... or he may be wrong about CFSI ... but he is not a liar.
    You guys claim to be open-minded ... and to go where the evidence leads.
    ... yet when presented with new evidence and new scientific concepts, with considerable explanatory power ... ye gang up on the person presenting the information ... and spend most of your energies trying to discredit the messengers ... rather than logically and politely discussing the evidence and the science.
    So show me where he provided the robust definition of cfsi he claimed to have from day one, but has so far inexplicably failed to provide. If you can't, then I guess he was lying about it all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

koth wrote: »
    and yet here mankind is. guess the maths is wrong.
    ... the maths is correct ... its maths after all ... so the theory that non-intelligently directed processes produced Mankind (or any other life-form) is what is wrong.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

... the maths is correct ... its maths after all ... so the theory that non-intelligently directed processes produced Mankind (or any other life-form) is what is wrong.
    that's a shockingly bad statement for someone who claims to have a high level of education to make.

by the farcial reasoning, 2+2=5:rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The math you present is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »
    that's a shockingly bad statement for someone who claims to have a high level of education to make.

by the farcial reasoning, 2+2=5:rolleyes:
    I meant it in the sense of 2+2=4 ... i.e. the fact that Dr Dembski has correctly done the maths means that he has effectively disproven M2M Evolution ... and thereby debunked the biggest religious movement currently on Earth.

... and that is why you guys can't constrain you emotional oubursts ... because your 'God' ... of Evolution has been found to have feet of clay.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I meant it in the sense of 2+2=4 ... i.e. the fact that Dr Dembski has correctly done the maths means that he has effectively disproven M2M Evolution ... and thereby debunked the biggest religious movement currently on Earth.

evolution hasn't been debunked ergo the maths you presented is wrong.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Still waiting for evidence that Dembski wasn't a liar when he said he could provide a rigorous definition of cfsi.

You do have one, don't you? It would be very stupid to bang on about it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

... and that is why you guys can't constrain you emotional oubursts ... because your 'God' ... of Evolution has been found to have feet of clay.

Dembski has done no such thing. Show me one non creationist who supports his work. Just one. From any branch of science.
    As people have repeatedly asked you, stop using made up terms like M2M evolution. That sounds like some kind of dodgy boyband. The term is evolution.

You just don't get it do you? We're standing by evolution because there's evidence for it. It's not because we worship it. If a sound theory which contradicted popped up tomorrow which (sound meaning one which can actually be verified) then I don't think anyone would have an issue accepting it. Except you of course becuase you'd probably stick your head in the sand about that one as well along with Dumbski et al.

Sarky wrote: »
    Still waiting for evidence that Dembski wasn't a liar when he said he could provide a rigorous definition of cfsi.

You do have one, don't you? It would be very stupid to bang on about it otherwise.
    Complex Functional Specified Information is :-

Complex-Consisting of multiple integrated components.

Functional-Having a clear purpose, activity and/or meaningful effect.

Specified-Consisting of critical sequences ... which, if changed randomly, reduces or eliminates functionality.

Information-An ordered sequence of symbols/signals that convey instructions or messages.

Any artefact with all of the above characteristics can be said to have CFSI and to be an ultimate product of intelligence.

• Advertisement

Dembski has done no such thing. Show me one non creationist who supports his work. Just one. From any branch of science.
    As people have repeatedly asked you, stop using made up terms like M2M evolution. That sounds like some kind of dodgy boyband. The term is evolution.

You just don't get it do you? We're standing by evolution because there's evidence for it. It's not because we worship it. If a sound theory which contradicted popped up tomorrow which (sound meaning one which can actually be verified) then I don't think anyone would have an issue accepting it. Except you of course becuase you'd probably stick your head in the sand about that one as well along with Dumbski et al.
    Your bias and emotional commitment to Evolutionism is clear for all to see.

Not even close to good enough, J C. Where is Dembski's rigorous definition? The one you claim he has, but which he still hasn't revealed? Try again. This time answer the question you were asked.

Complex Functional Specified Information is :-

Complex-Consisting of multiple integrated components.

Functional-Having a clear purpose, activity and/or meaningful effect.

Specified-Consisting of critical sequences ... which, if changed randomly, reduces or eliminates functionality.

Information-An ordered sequence of symbols/signals that convey instructions or messages.

Any artefact with all of the above characteristics can be said to have CFSI and to be an ultimate product of intelligence.

Ah. So you don't have one. Well. This is awkward.
    Your bias and emotional commitment to Evolutionism science is clear for all to see.

FYP.

Ah. So you don't have one. Well. This is awkward.
    I've just given you one ... and while its very awkward for Evolutionism ... its 'game set and match' to ID.:)

I've just given you one ... and while its very awkward for Evolutionism ... its 'game set and match' to ID.:)

No, you've just defined four words. If I define four random words from the dictionary does that mean I get to claim evolution is real, in your eyes?

No, you've just defined four words. If I define four random words from the dictionary does that mean I get to claim evolution is real, in your eyes?
    My four words prove that M2M Evolution never could happen ... you don't have four (or any number of) words which prove that it could happen:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

My four words prove that M2M Evolution never could happen ... you don't have four (or any number of) words which prove that it could happen:)

There is no term called M2M evolution. How many times do I have to say this? How can you disprove a term that doesn't exist? Evolution is all-encompassing. If you don't understand this, then you do not understand evolution. Now stop wasting our time with your nonsense and read a book on evolution.

No, they really don't. Ignoring for a second you're (again) using a term you've repeatedly been told is nonsense, All you've done at the very most is point out that genetic material is complex functional specified information. This is, as I've said before a ridiculously vauge and simple description. It does not prove a thing. Just because you can't comprehend the fact something so amazing can happen naturally doesn't mean it can't, it just means you don't understand it.

At this stage I'm wondering if you even understand Dembski's arguments to be honest.

dlofnep wrote: »
    There is no term called M2M evolution. How many times do I have to say this? How can you disprove a term that doesn't exist? Evolution is all-encompassing.
    ... so can you please define this 'all encompassing' evolution that you speak of.
    It sounds like all things to all men ... and ultimately nothing to anybody!!!
    dlofnep wrote: »
    If you don't understand this, then you do not understand evolution. Now stop wasting our time with your nonsense and read a book on evolution.
    I have read many books on evolution ... and found many wonderful stories ... but no evidence for Microbes to Man Evolution.

No, they really don't. Ignoring for a second you're (again) using a term you've repeatedly been told is nonsense, All you've done at the very most is point out that genetic material is complex functional specified information. This is, as I've said before a ridiculously vauge and simple description. It does not prove a thing. Just because you can't comprehend the fact something so amazing can happen naturally doesn't mean it can't, it just means you don't understand it.
    Could you please enlighten us as to how you think it happened then.

• Advertisement

Could you please enlighten us as to how you think it happened then.

I assume you mean how evolution happened?
    I think it happened the same way as anyone who's studied the subject without an agenda thinks it happened. As a result of millions of years of genetic mutation, with favourable mutations being retained via natural selection.
    This is supported by:
    a) The fossil record.
    b) Observable micro evolution (which you've admitted is a reality yourself)
    c) The absence of a remotely viable alternative
    d) The presence of 'useless' features in centain species which would have had a use in the species' ancestors
    And many other things people far more intelligent than me could add, I'm sure.

Edit: That video you just added is laughable. Again, I'll provide an easy list.
    a) They mock the sentence 'whatever it was', claiming this is unscientific. As opposed to the much more scientific 'god did it?' Anyway, this is referring to abiogenesis, which, as has already been pointed out, is a different argument.
    b) The crystals part. Again referring to abiogenesis, but ignoring that for a second.. the scientist he talks to simply says this is ONE hypothesis. He doesn't claim it as a fact. I like the 'crystal ball' bit, ridiculing the 'magic' of the crystal theory. Again, how is 'God did it' A more realistic theory?
    c) A ridiculous cartoon is their third point. Really?
    d) I was watching that video hoping it would actually discuss evolution. It didn't. Oh well.

Do you seriously think that video makes a good argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Could you please enlighten us as to how you think it is happening then.

FYP

I assume you mean how evolution happened?
    I think it happened the same way as anyone who's studied the subject without an agenda thinks it happened. As a result of millions of years of genetic mutation, with favourable mutations being retained via natural selection.
    Has a single favourable mutation that didn't result from a loss / damage to genetic information ever been observed?

This is supported by:
    a) The fossil record.
    Which shows no gradual change ... and no change over hundreds of millions of years (so-called 'living fossils')
    ... but which shows billions of dead things buried in rock layers laid down under water all over the Earth ... which is incontrovertible evidence for a worldwide flood and extinction event (for anybody without an agenda).

Which is only the juggling, sorting and selection of existing genetic information ... that was infused at Creation..
    Creation by intelligence(s) unknown is the only viable scientific explanation.
    d) The presence of 'useless' features in centain species which would have had a use in the species' ancestors
    Current functions have been discovered for practically all of these supposed vestigial structures
    I'm all ears!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

How about we try to get a few examples of 'modern' evolution. ie. noticeable changes in fauna/flora that has taken place recently? Tbh I think we argued our point enough but, meh, I'm bored.

I recall a research done on earth worms in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. They went from producing asexual to mating with other worms. Apparently it increased protection from radiation, as there was a likelihood of passing on genes that offered better protection.

Sorry don't have any source to hand. On a mobile. Anyone else know what im talking about?

We've been over all that J C, many times. You are completely wrong. Stop misrepresenting everything, please.

... I was watching that video hoping it would actually discuss evolution. It didn't. Oh well.

Do you seriously think that video makes a good argument?
    Not a very good argument for Abiogenesis ... I must admit.
    ... here is a video on evolution ... and its invalidity..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Not a very good argument for Abiogenesis ... I must admit.
    ... here is a video on evolution ... and its invalidity..

By 1:40 he has already demonstrated that he does not understand evolution.

Has a single favourable mutation that didn't result from a loss / damage to genetic information ever been observed?

I don't quite get what you're asking here?

This is supported by:
    a) The fossil record.
    Which shows no gradual change ... and no change over hundreds of millions of years (so-called 'living fossils')
    ... but which shows billions of dead things buried in rock layers laid down under water all over the Earth ... which is incontrovertible evidence for a worldwide flood and extinction event (for anybody without an agenda).
    The fossil record shows a lot of gradual change. Look up tetrapod evolution. I've written an essay on the subject that I'll upload once I find it.
    Bringing up 'living fossils' once again shows you have no clue how evolution works, and shows you've never read a book on the topic. Just because a new organism evolves from an old one, it doesn't automatically follow that the old one will disappear. Why would it?
    Which is only the juggling, sorting and selection of existing genetic information ... that was infused at Creation..
    And what would happen if this micro evolution continued over a few hundred million years? Surely some of the species would become so differerentiated from their ancestors that they could be called a new species? Boom. Evolution of species. Grossly simplified but we have to start somewhere.
    Creation by intelligence(s) unknown is the only viable scientific explanation.
    Why? Because you say so? I haven't looked into that man's crystal hypothesis. It could be horse**** for all I know. But him being wrong does not make the creator of the video correct. Again, why would it?
    Current functions have been discovered for practically all of these supposed vestigial structures.
    Take flightless birds.Why do they still have wings? Funny how much they look like those of other birds which have the ability to fly. It's almost as if they had a common ancestor somewhere down the line. Hmmm...[/quote]
    I'm all ears!!!
    It's not your ears you need to open, it's your mind.

• Advertisement

swiftblade wrote: »
    How about we try to get a few examples of 'modern' evolution. ie. noticeable changes in fauna/flora that has taken place recently? Tbh I think we argued our point enough but, meh, I'm bored.

I recall a research done on earth worms in the Chernobyl exclusion zone. They went from producing asexual to mating with other worms. Apparently it increased protection from radiation, as there was a likelihood of passing on genes that offered better protection.

Sorry don't have any source to hand. On a mobile. Anyone else know what im talking about?

Just to debunk J C's probable argument before he can even get it in, radiation is a force of nature, not an intelligent hand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement