Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

wrote:
    Originally Posted by J C
    ... and your ability to 'nit pick' ... even when you are clearly wrong, also amuses ... but doesn't astound me!!!

It is entirely probable that people will produce a net average 2 children each when they are trying to 'go forth and multiply' ... like I have said a woman is capable of producing 20 children if she produces one child every 18 months ... so producing 4 children is a very conservative birth rate in an environment where population growth is facilitated.

koth
    Wrong again. The average person didn't live to see 30 back in the early days of human kind. If the woman started producing children at 15 and had a child every 18 months until death, that would be a maximum of 10, not 20 children.

The Ante-diluvian people lived to several hundred years of age ... and women probably had a child-bearing interval to match!!!

The post-diluvian life expectancy rapidly declined to an averge of 70 years ... which even out modern hi-tech society is finding it difficult to exceed!!
    koth wrote:
    Anyways, you said 2 children produced by a couple. Don't try and move the goal post now that you've shown that your maths is wrong.
    I never said two children per couple (which wouldn't even be replacement for a population) I have used a figure of a net 2 children per person ... please see the little word each highlighted in my quote above!!!:)

koth wrote: »
    that means your suggested population growth in 900 year is very unlikely then.
    It means nothing of the sort ... but it does mean that there is no 300 years per doubling formula, as you have suggested ...
    ... the population of the world probably increased exponentially in the immediate aftermath of Creation and the Flood ... with the whole world available for conquest and colonisation ... and at some point it would have slowed down and possibly even stopped altogether until the next technological advance in food production became widely adopted.

• Moderators Posts: 51,751 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

J C wrote: »
    I never said two children per couple (which wouldn't even be replacement for a population) I have used a figure of a net 2 children per person ... please see the little word each highlighted in my quote above!!!:)

Yay, another abandon reality moment!!

so now we have people the live hundreds of years, contrary to all evidence saying otherwise. The average life expectancy wasn't even 30 years up until about 300 years ago.

Now if you want to provide information on these people who lived for centuries, the fire ahead.

If you can read this, you're too close!

If God decreed it, it would be right, wouldn't it? Why wouldn't God decree it if it were right?
    You are correct that because God is a perfectly just God it would be right if He decreed it ... but as God is also a perfectly merciful God ... and saves all sinners who believe on Him ... He wouldn't decree that those whom He has Saved should be killed by anybody ... least of all fellow Christians.
    ... and before you say it, yes, people claiming to be Christians have committed henious acts ... thereby proving that their claims are bogus!!!!

It means nothing of the sort ... but it does mean that there is no 300 years per doubling formula, as you have suggested ...
    ... the population of the world probably increased exponentially in the immediate aftermath of Creation and the Flood ... with the whole world available for conquest and colonisation ... and at some point it would have slowed down and possibly even stopped altogether until the next technological advance in food production became widely adopted.

I didn't say it was 300 hundred years per doubling.

I said the formula states that to go from half a million to 1 million takes 300 years approx.

The next doubling is roughly half the time of the previous doubling i.e. 150 years to go from 1 to 2 million.

but it's alright, JC, I know numbers aren't your strong suit ;)

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote: »
    Can God make Darwinian evolution (the specific one you deny) happen?
    Yes He could ... and as the evidence for it happening any other way doesn't exist ... Divine intervention is the only way that it could happen!!!

... BTW I don't think that He did use billions of years of death and suffering to transform Pondkind into Mankind ... and He never said that He did so!!!

I didn't say it was 300 hundred years per doubling.

I said the formula states that to go from half a million to 1 million takes 300 years approx.

The next doubling is roughly half the time of the previous doubling i.e. 150 years to go from 1 to 2 million.

but it's alright, JC, I know numbers aren't your strong suit ;)
    ... and in Ireland between 1780 and 1840 the Irish population doubled from 4 to 8 million ... which was only 60 years ... and then collapsed back down to 4 million over the next hundred years or thereabouts ... so where does your 'formula' fit in there???

IrelandEuropePopulation1750.PNG

... I have found that it is evolutionists, like yourself that are the 'mathematically challenged' ones!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

... and before you say it, yes, people claiming to be Christians have committed henious acts ... thereby proving that their cliams are bogus!!!!

How do you feel about the fact that your own god committed a heinous
    act, such as killing every animal on the planet (minus two of each barmin)?
    Yes He could ... and as the evidence for it happening any other way doesn't exist ... Divine intervention is the only way that it could happen!!!

This is another barefaced lie, what did you do - read the 9th
    commandment on a mobile phone in unintelligible text-speak so that
    you've become unaware that lying about, and misrepresenting (bearing
    false witness to), your neighbours is a sin?

actually, the formula is out by about 9 years, which would say that there was a period of exceptional growth.

I still would be quicker to use the formula over your immortals breeding proposition. That concept is out by 30 years, so that doesn't say great things about how reliable that one is.

actually, the formula is out by about 9 years, which would say that there was a period of exceptional growth.
    ... and what about the population collapse back down from 8 to 4 million over the next hundred years ???
    ... which part of your 'formula' accounts for that??:)

• Advertisement

How do you feel about the fact that your own god committed a heinous
    act, such as killing every animal on the planet (minus two of each barmin)?
    It's His Creation ... so He can (and did) destroy it ... when He knew that it was beyond salvation.

... something similar to a car owner being entitled ... indeed obliged ... to scrap his car if it was beyond repair!!!

wrote:
    Originally Posted by King Mob
    Can God make Darwinian evolution (the specific one you deny) happen?

Originally Posted by J C

sponsoredwalk
    This is another barefaced lie, what did you do - read the 9th
    commandment on a mobile phone in unintelligible text-speak so that
    you've become unaware that lying about, and misrepresenting (bearing
    false witness to), your neighbours is a sin?
    Now that's no way to talk about the assorted Theists who have been brainwashed into accepting that Pondkind evolved into Mankind with a little help from God!!!:eek::):pac:

... you might even make them think again about the idea ... and become Creationists!!!:eek:

don't be throwng stones there, JC, your proposed idea would be out by a greater number. But I'd already pointed out multiple times that you weren't allowing for deaths, famine etc.

I just gave a formula for population growth, famine isn't population growth, so the formula doesn't apply. But you already know that.

you're just yet again diverting attention and not answering points that have raised. Like the people who lived for centuries.

And it would have been a violent event. Apparently trees were seperated from their roots; animal bones were smashed to pieces. How come we don't find 4500-year old Egyptian artifacts in archeological digs outside Egypt?
    ... because the 'Egyptian artifacts' were produced by post-flood Egyptians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Now that's no way to talk about the assorted Theists who have been brainwashed into accepting that Pondkind evolved into Mankind with a little help from God!!!:eek::):pac:

... you might even make them think again about the idea ... and become Creationists!!!:eek:

You're lying again, bearing false witness against me right here - you damn
    well know I was not talking about "the assorted Theists who have been
    brainwashed into accepting that Pondkind evolved into Mankind with a little
    help from God!" :rolleyes: Shure what harm is a little lie for Jesus eh? ;) I was
    calling you a liar JC, you, for making the statement that divine intervention
    is the only way natural selection could originate. I gave you an abiogenesis
    video illustrating one possible method by which NS could kickstart - ergo
    you have lied. Simple logic my dear fellow, now I'm off to get plastered if
    you don't mind :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

It's His Creation ... so He can (and did) destroy it ... when He knew that it was beyond salvation.

... something similar to a car owner being entitled ... indeed obliged ... to scrap his car if it was beyond repair!!!

Charming. Genoicide = scrapping a car in the lunatic world of creationism.

No J C, its not at all like scrapping a car, not at all. What it is exactly like is killing your own children because you don't approve of their behaviour. After all, parents create their children. So in your apalling worldview, murdering your own children is acceptable. I fear for your kids.

You're lying again, bearing false witness against me right here - you damn
    well know I was not talking about "the assorted Theists who have been
    brainwashed into accepting that Pondkind evolved into Mankind with a little
    help from God!" :rolleyes: Shure what harm is a little lie for Jesus eh? ;) I was
    calling you a liar JC, you, for making the statement that divine intervention
    is the only way natural selection could originate. I gave you an abiogenesis
    video illustrating one possible method by which NS could kickstart - ergo
    you have lied. Simple logic my dear fellow, now I'm off to get plastered if
    you don't mind
    :cool:
    Does hearing the truth always have this dramatic effect on you???

Please calm down ... you're becoming hysterical !!!

... does it have anything to do with the fact that the 'penny is finally dropping' ... and you are beginning to realise that 'Pondkind to Mankind' is one big fat lie itself ... or do you just believe it to be specious nonesense, instead???!!!

Charming. Genoicide = scrapping a car in the lunatic world of creationism.

No J C, its not at all like scrapping a car, not at all. What it is exactly like is killing your own children because you don't approve of their behaviour. After all, parents create their children. So in your apalling worldview, murdering your own children is acceptable. I fear for your kids.
    God is the Creator of the Universe ... and we all owe our lives to Him.

He does giveth ... and He does taketh away.
    We all ultimately die ... and God allows this.

God stated that Creation had become so corrupt that He decided to wipe nearly all of it out in the Flood.
    I don't understand why this was the case ... I only know that it was, because he said so.

In my pro-life worldview, I certainly don't believe that anyone should murder their children ... or anybody elses!!!!
    ... so your hypocritical fear for my children is completely mis-placed!!!:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Are you suggesting that there was a time when your deity didn't know it was beyond "salvation", or -- the only other alternative -- he created it knowing full well that, at some point in the future, it was going to become beyond "salvation"?

Which was it?

robindch wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that there was a time when your deity didn't know it was beyond "salvation", or -- the only other alternative -- he created it knowing full well that, at some point in the future, it was going to become beyond "salvation"?

Which was it?
    ... the latter ... but He still created Humanity because He knew that there would be righteous people like Noah and his family ... and He knew that there would also be people, like me, that would believe on Him and so would not be beyond Salvation!!:)

... and BTW ... God is not just my Deity ... He is yours as well !!!!
    ... whether you accept Him ... or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

robindch wrote: »

Which was it?

Careful, you will get into free will discussion. I still don't get how free will is compatible with omniscience.

PDN tried to explain it before by saying God knows all possible paths that your free will decisions can lead you down... but then that's not really all-knowing becuase God doesn't know what decision you will make at every point.

Maybe J.C can explain it, but my hopes are low.

• Advertisement

liamw wrote: »
    Careful, you will get into free will discussion. I still don't get how free will is compatible with omniscience.

PDN tried to explain it before by saying God knows all possible paths that your free will decisions can lead you down... but then that's not really all-knowing becuase God doesn't know what decision you will make at every point.

Maybe J.C can explain it, but my hopes are low.
    Human free will ... and God's omniscience aren't mutually incompatible ...
    ... God knows exactly how we will use our free will ... and we have the freedom to freely accept or reject Him ... but He knows what we will actually do!!

Human free will ... and God's omniscience aren't mutually incompatible ...
    ... God knows exactly how we will use our free will ... and we have the freedom to freely accept or reject Him ... but He knows what we will actually do!!

So basically God knew that I would be born, I would not believe in him, and that I would then burn for all eternity in Hell when I died?

So basically God knew that I would be born, I would not believe in him, and that I would then burn for all eternity in Hell when I died?
    ... Why ... do you think that you will go to your grave rejecting Him?
    ... but if you do ... He will know that allright.

... equally, if you get fed up believing that you are a monkeys cousin ... and go and get Saved ... He will also know that too!!!:D

... Why ... do you think that you will go to your grave rejecting Him?
    ... but if you do ... He will know that allright.

... equally, if you get fed up believing that you are a monkeys cousin ... and go and get Saved ... He will also know that too!!!:D

The point stands, your God creates humans knowing that they will spend an eternity in Hell, correct?

(People have died atheist you know)

The point stands, your God creates humans knowing that they will spend an eternity in Hell, correct?

(People have died atheist you know)
    I don't actually know if anybody has actually died an Atheist or rejecting Salvation ... that is only known by God!!!

It does seem that God Created Humans knowing that many would end up in Hell ... but also knowing that many would end up in Heaven!!!

... such is free-will ... and such is life!!!

Jesus loves you ... and wants to Save you!!:)

I don't actually know if anybody has actually died an Atheist or rejecting Salvation ... that is only known by God!!!

God Created Humans knowing that many would end up in Hell ... but also knowing that many would end up in Heaven!!!

... such is free-will ... and such is life!!!

Jesus loves you ... and wants to Save you!!:)

If it's pre-determined, how can it be free will?

If it's pre-determined, how can it be free will?
    I am not a Calvinist ... so I don't believe in predestination ... except for the 46A Bus!!!:D

... although, when I see the hardened irrational rejection of Salvation by some people on thiis thread ... I sometimes wonder if John Calvin was right!!!

so then god can't know as nothing is pre-determined. You're a slippery one, JC :P

so then god can't know as nothing is pre-determined. You're a slippery one, JC :P
    Of course God can know things that aren't pre-determined ... for example, He knows the numbers of next week's Lottery ... but that doesn't mean that He pre-determines them ... even though He could, if He wanted to!!!:)

• Advertisement

that means the numbers are pre-determined if he knows them already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement